• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT11| Forward Unto Dong

Status
Not open for further replies.
I get back to my room last night after dinner, and my roommate, who has been absent for another two day period, is sitting quietly at his desk, with a copy of H4 lying on his bed.

Me: "You got H4? This is yours?"

Him: "No, that's yours. You wanted it, right? Pay me back whenever you get the last 20 bucks."

Best roommate ever. Good to have something nice happen on an otherwise shitty day.

daedalius

So I've done the first three missions of the campaign so far, and I've said here how I don't think the gameplay is engaging for the most part. I've pondered that part of the reason I feel this way is because of the difficulty. Out of curiosity I went back to Bungie.net to compare my deaths, a good indicator of difficulty I think (but not the be all end all), for the last three Halo games to Halo 4. First time I played for each game. The first three levels Waypoint hasn't updated to include my completed third mission, but the number of deaths I got in that level was four or five at the most.

Total: 14

So the discrepancy isn't as large as I imagined, but with the high-end guess for the third mission of Halo 4, there is a noticeable drop.

So it's mostly other factors at work here.

I seriously think that after playing through H4, my esteem for H3 has significantly dropped off. While it still has amazing set pieces, the brutes are just a complete and total joke, and not really very fun or challenging to fight against. I ran through H3 in no time, just trolling the Brutes the whole time; they are big, slow, dumb, and can't juke for shit.

I'm very happy to have Elites back, and the Promethean enemies; they seem to actually give a proper challenge. With Brutes it kinda feels like I am playing doom sometimes, other than they don't charge you fast enough.

Spartan Ops. I played all of the missions with randoms yesterday evening, and so far I'm disappointed with how insanely short the missions are. I remember hearing the word "bite-sized" when describing SpOps, and that's pretty damned accurate. You barely have enough time to enjoy the surroundings and all the work that was put into the mission before it's all over with.
I'm also kind of baffled at the decision where once a mission ends, you're kicked out of matchmaking and the split from the party that you were matched with. It's incredibly jarring considering how short the missions are and how much I personally abhor the menu system. It may have been decided on to keep the matching times fast, but I'd rather keep it similar to Reach's Firefight where you stay in a party and move on to the next mission, and can back out if you choose.

I'm actually the exact opposite here. I think Spartan Ops are brilliant, very challenging and fun, certainly much harder than the campaign. Might have something to do with the fact that I'm playing them solo.

Karl2177

I seriously think that after playing through H4, my esteem for H3 has significantly dropped off. While it still has amazing set pieces, the brutes are just a complete and total joke, and not really very fun or challenging to fight against. I ran through H3 in no time, just trolling the Brutes the whole time; they are big, slow, dumb, and can't juke for shit.

I'm very happy to have Elites back, and the Promethean enemies; they seem to actually give a proper challenge. With Brutes it kinda feels like I am playing doom sometimes, other than they don't charge you fast enough.
I appreciate it a bit more now. In the past I've felt as if the pack mechanic wasn't aggressive enough. There's a certain section in either SpOps or campaign where there are a butt ton of Crawlers coming at the player. It wasn't fun.

Halo 4 gave us some new enemies that can be used in interesting ways. When I'm back at my apartment, I might write up a little something on how all Halo enemy types could be used in neat scenarios.

Just wanna say that the Banshee driving in the campaign is unfair at best. Seems like the enemy AI gets the Reach Banshee while you get stuck flying around in a full diaper. Can't wait to play around with that on Legendary.

Love the new Warthog balance, though. I can actually drive through uneven terrain and not worry about a dandelion flipping me over. It is a bit on the loud side, though.

I'm actually the exact opposite here. I think Spartan Ops are brilliant, very challenging and fun, certainly much harder than the campaign. Might have something to do with the fact that I'm playing them solo.
There's the rub: this was designed to be a co-operative experience and in that regard I'm disappointed. I have little doubt that I'll enjoy the missions solo, but it kind of defeats the purpose of matchmaking.

So it's mostly other factors at work here.
One of the big ones for me, and one of my single biggest worries, is AI. I've seen Grunts do flat-out retarded things, including getting stuck on scenery, and Elites barely seem to duck and weave anymore. Saw a Prom dog run endlessly along the same spot on a wall. Knights' teleportation seems almost random. Fights with Prometheans devolve into uninteresting spamming by both sides, and it feels like they've been beefed up to take a lot of damage rather than being legitimately threatening in their own right (except for the Knight melee).

Also disappointed by the weaponry the Prometheans use against you. Against the Covenant, you've always faced lots of differently coloured, slow-moving lasers and plasmas. They're differently coloured so you can identify and prioritize threats almost instinctively; they're slow-moving so you can dodge and juke through the fray and feel like a badass. The Promethean weapons, by contrast, just sort of pepper with you a mess of indistinguishable orange stuff that seems to hit instantly. Fights feel flatter, and some of the early areas you engage Prometheans in are just open spaces with rocks dotted around. So it ends up feeling like a war of attrition where you're trying to pummel them more than they pummel you (Prom dog headshots feel good, but the Boltshot's design means firing single shots feels like it has massive input latency). It risks being graceless at times.

Don't know if anyone else has tried this, but on mission 6 in the beginning, start Killing your AI buddies. Unlike previous Halos, this results in a surprisingly entertaining skirmish.

daedalius

I appreciate it a bit more now. In the past I've felt as if the pack mechanic wasn't aggressive enough. There's a certain section in either SpOps or campaign where there are a butt ton of Crawlers coming at the player. It wasn't fun.

Halo 4 gave us some new enemies that can be used in interesting ways. When I'm back at my apartment, I might write up a little something on how all Halo enemy types could be used in neat scenarios.

I guess I'm just a masochist, I enjoy being annihilated on Legendary, repeatedly.

I like that the Prometheans are very unforgiving, and the Elites are super-aggressive (they totally know when your shields are down).

Legendary with Thunderstorm on (for that challenge the other day) was very rewarding.

and Elites barely seem to duck and weave anymore.

They seem to do it repeatedly on Legendary

One of the big ones for me, and one of my single biggest worries, is AI. I've seen Grunts do flat-out retarded things, including getting stuck on scenery, and Elites barely seem to duck and weave anymore. Saw a Prom dog run endlessly along the same spot on a wall. Knights' teleportation seems almost random. Fights with Prometheans devolve into uninteresting spamming by both sides, and it feels like they've been beefed up to take a lot of damage rather than being legitimately threatening in their own right (except for the Knight melee).

Also disappointed by the weaponry the Prometheans use against you. Against the Covenant, you've always faced lots of differently coloured, slow-moving lasers and plasmas. They're differently coloured so you can identify and prioritize threats almost instinctively; they're slow-moving so you can dodge and juke through the fray and feel like a badass. The Promethean weapons, by contrast, just sort of pepper with you a mess of indistinguishable orange stuff that seems to hit instantly. Fights feel flatter, and some of the early areas you engage Prometheans in are just open spaces with rocks dotted around. So it ends up feeling like a war of attrition where you're trying to pummel them more than they pummel you (Prom dog headshots feel good, but the Boltshot's design means firing single shots feels like it has massive input latency). It risks being graceless at times.
Ugh, I had such a terrible experience during one of the missions because my supposed Warthog gunner, the only AI around, would/could not get out from where he managed to put himself. I kept dying and going back to a checkpoint at least 5 times, and the bastard went for the same spot every time.

Once again, you do a great job explaining the few issues I'm having with the campaign so far, though I kind of disagree with your assessment of the Prom weapons. Sure the projectiles are the same color (or colour; I'm not above adding and extra vowel for you), but it's fairly easy to tell what's what by their dispersal. I especially appreciate the Incinerator's four orange balls that are easy to spot/sidestep right before they converge into one orange deathblob.

malfcn

Well, those tectures sure look.. ehh.

GeWULgDUzk2A2XqlzjN3Gw2.gif

Nope, beginning of mission 6
in the Infinities hanger
. Not a huge spoiler by any means but I will still spoiler it.

Oh yeah, I totally forgot about that part. I wonder if
There's an easter egg there. You remember that one episode of some kind of late night show in the US were Kiki and Frankie were interviewed. Those 2 guys were talking about them being in a mission where they'd play 2 crew members in a hanger

BigShow36

I like how there are 4 smalls map and 6 huge ones, despite the fact that the population in small-team gametypes far outweighs the big team ones.

Hope you like Haven.

daedalius

Your mileage may vary, I guess. I'm playing on Legendary, and on the first level I got two or three easy stickies on Elites that were more or less unmoving.

It seems the higher ranked elites are more adept at juking than the others.

Gold elites juke constantly when they are under fire, or at least they have been for me.

There's an easter egg there. You remember that one episode of some kind of late night show in the US were Kiki and Frankie were interviewed. Those 2 guys were talking about them being in a mission where they'd play 2 crew members in a hanger

Where the heck are those guys? I couldn't find them.

Overdoziz

Banned
It seems the higher ranked elites are more adept at juking than the others.

Gold elites juke constantly when they are under fire, or at least they have been for me.
Talking about golden Elites. You can barely see the difference between the Elite classes while you're fighting with them.

I searched hard and couldn't find it. But yeah, try it out today. The battle is sooo fun.

malfcn

Friend got me a UNSC controller. Thing is pretty slick looking. The Dpad is kind of cool? Looks quite tall. And it makes little clicking sounds if the controller is shaken or moved around. I now have an appropriate controller for Halo 4.

And new sticks always feel so goood.

Karl2177

So I watched all of the terminals on YouTube. That clarifies a lot of the questions I had with the story. If you are confused why certain characters are acting the way they are, watch them.

BigShow36

So is there a way to see my k/d on Halowaypoint.com?

Navigate to the Wargames overview, and then in the menu on the far right, click "Game Variants." It will be in a little blue and red circle.

Waypoint is horrible and I really wish it should better stats in a more readable and useful format.

Edit: Its also on the Overview tab.

daedalius

So I watched all of the terminals on YouTube. That clarifies a lot of the questions I had with the story. If you are confused why certain characters are acting the way they are, watch them.

Kinda wish I didn't have to go to my computer to watch them... are they viewable on a tablet? Would prefer to watch them with my wife when we are playing through campaign together, instead of having to go up to the computer.

Karl2177

Kinda wish I didn't have to go to my computer to watch them... are they viewable on a tablet? Would prefer to watch them with my wife when we are playing through campaign together, instead of having to go up to the computer.

You can open up Waypoint and play them from there.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I'm doing a bit better than I did in Reach so far, but still just a bit about .500 on K/D.

Trying to find which main weapon I like most. I got the perk for 2 main weapons so have a DMR/BR class, also have a Carbine/AR class.

I just need more practice. I went back to default controls from bumper jumper because I want sprint on the trigger. Almost wish you could map sprint to stick and crouch to x on the current bumper jumper layout.

Pop

More fun in one game of this than 2 years of Reach

Same here.

Halo 4 is great, love Multiplayer. Really bringing back my old halo vibes were I would play Halo for hours on end.

Just one question. I beat legendary on solo, shouldn't I have the Mark VI armor? Well I never received it.

I just need more practice. I went back to default controls from bumper jumper because I want sprint on the trigger. Almost wish you could map sprint to stick and crouch to x on the current bumper jumper layout.
I tried Recon, Bumper Jumper, and Default; ended up going with Fishstick + hold to crouch (and removed my KontrolFreeks). Seems to be the best layout for me, but count me among the many who wish that controls could be mapped to whatever you want.

Karl2177

I'm doing much better than I did in Reach. Maybe it's because sprint+melee isn't effective, armor lock only faces one direction, and peeps can't handle my thrusting. 2.25 K/D BAYBEE!

Trasher

I love this game man, it has some flaws & down right baffling things, but overall, the base gameplay is just too good. We pooped on kids in BTB IS all night, and the highlight was definitely being down like 600 to 200 due to a Gauss Hog (no business in MM), and Eazy got a Tank spawn and brought us all the way back to win by like 3 kills.

That said, BTB needs some objective in it, I can only take so much IS on Valhalla.

How dare you give credit to just eazyB! Me and oml3t turned the tide down in the trenches!

Game does have it's issues, but my god is the netcode so smooth. I didn't complain about lag once. Can't say I've ever said that before in any of the other games' MP.

TCKaos

I'm doing much better than I did in Reach. Maybe it's because sprint+melee isn't effective, armor lock only faces one direction, and peeps can't handle my thrusting. 2.25 K/D BAYBEE!

inorite.jpeg

I was sitting at like 1.75 earlier but dicking around for that pistol challenge dropped me to like 1.55.

But not for long. The donging must continue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom