• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT11| Forward Unto Dong

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are there still supposed to be issues? All my campaign data has been recorded on Waypoint and I had no trouble connecting to matches this evening. I thought everything was more or less fixed at this point?

Lame top of page post so here'a a picture of my Spartan.
TQMy0.png
How do you get a pic of your Spartan like that?

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Played some oddball to end the night last night. It's a lot of fun. I like the passing mechanic. Also, people are terrible in that playlist.

Fuchsdh

Problem is with the NPD locking down sales info, thanks to a console manufacturer, it might be a long time before we hear anything. These days we only hear about shipped data, not sold.

Suprise me Microsoft, issue a PR release giving the info.

Well of course Microsoft will release numbers, prolly just the overall gross if it beat Reach's tally, though.

Why did NPD become a bigger ass about sales info, exactly?

Don't like:

Promethean Vision
Some of the easier to use weaponry, names elude me it's late
AR power
the JIP system so far
Being unable to at least dictate a button for dash
Perks/Ordinances with the OP weaps

Do like:
Locked in voting
Not team colors till you get locked into a vote
DMR
Radar

More to add later.

JaggedSac

The vehicles in this game completely dominate me and whatever team I am on. What are some good strategies for when your team's vehicles are destroyed and they still have all of theirs? I tried the plasma pistol but I couldn't hack it.

Omni

Used the sticky detonator and managed to get a stick on an enemy banshee. I pull the trigger and...

He just continues to fly around and kill my team casually. Kinda wish it were a one stick kill for some vehicles.

Alright, I finished the campaign a few hours ago, 7 hours 14 minutes on Heroic. Brief Not as brief as I'd hoped thoughts, kind of big spoilers so don't read if you haven't finished campaign. Also it's late so I'm kind of rambling, sorry.

I played a bit of multiplayer, mostly splitscreen with my roommate and it's been really fun. I can't wait to get into that more and play with you guys later on.

Campaign question, don't read it if you ain't done.

STORY SPOILERS STORY SPOILERS DON'T CLICK IF YOU DON'T WANT STORY SPOILERS
I haven't read any of the books save for half of Fall of Reach and First Strike but HaloGAF got me to understand the gist of it even during my playthrough. The Composer has the ability to convert physical beings to digital; doing the opposite just resulted in "abominations" which are probably some weird gooey mutilated chimeras (think Full Metal Alchemist) if the motion comic was any indication. Didact cannot simply "create" more Promethean Knights the way he can Watchers or Crawlers, which are lackeys. As such, they have simpler AI and don't need more processing power. Kind of similarly to the movie Skyline, the Promethean Knights "run" on humans, meaning Didact doesn't have to control them manually, instead he simply assigns them to himself as far as friend or foes go. But, Chief's been running around killing all his Knight buddies. So what does Didact want to do?

Get revenge by going to one of the most populated, morally vulnerable colonies the UNSC has: Earth, in order to digitize its citizens to rebuild his army. If I'm remembering right the population was somewhere near 200 million on Earth at that point, and it seems he only "digi-glassed" New Phoenix. I didn't catch it at first, but the marines scanning those piles of trash/rubble in the epilogue are actually scanning the ashen remains of everyone who got "purged."

Didact's death is up in the air; keep in mind that the Composer's "weapon" seemed to run on some massive slipspace vortex, noted when Cortana (or may be even Chief, I forget) notes slipspace activity when the weapon's charging. So even though Chief did shove the Prom Pineapple in his chest, his body fell into the vortex, and may have very well warped him somewhere safe or at least safe enough. That, or he ended up hoisted by his own petard, and digitized himself. Which, all things considered, means he's far from dead given he could simply place himself in as strong as a body as he wanted to.

To Ramirez: We are probably fighting the Ur-Didact (original one), no idea what happens to Bornstellar. This one doesn't seem to have much concept of mercy or humanity unlike Bornstellar. A lot of people think it might be Bornstellar because Didact "died," but Silentium's synopsis confirms the original Didact is still alive, just left for dead on a Flood-infested world. Presumably, he survives.

By the way, Barlow, do you want to swap armor? Oceanic for Venator?

Also, does anyone else actually like the new UI for 4? Granted, it needs some big changes and more information could probably be put on the screen at once, but it's a wonderful concept. I think going about 40% Halo 4, 30% Halo 2 and 30% Halo Reach would be ideal.
Considering that's what the gameplay is like. /troll

willow ve

Back to my solo run on Legendary. Thought I would jump straight into matchmaking. Decided to play some campaign to get used to the new controls (using Recon felt the most natural for me).

Anyway; after playing the first level I got sucked in, played for 4 hours, and I'm now half way through the fifth level. Overall there are some annoyances in campaign, but so far it has been enjoyable and well done. The graphics in game and in cut scene are top quality. Doubly so when you consider this hardware is 7 years old.

One issue that still bothers me. The warthog sounds like shit. It feels like it's actually missing the bass that should be paired with the high pitched dirt bike muffler...

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Wahrer, move the spoilers to the spoiler thread please....

Also, I like the AR currently. About time that it was actually decent. If you are at close range an AR should win.

I'm up to the third mission.

Just something short:

While I'm having fun seeing the Covenant and Prothemean AI duke it out and trying to figure out how best to alter those battles in my favor, I still can't say I'm having too much fun fighting the Prometheans. Most of the same problems I'm having with the Covenant.

:/

Just something short:

While I'm having fun seeing the Covenant and Prothemean AI duke it out and trying to figure out how best to alter those battles in my favor, I still can't say I'm having too much fun fighting the Prometheans. Most of the same problems I'm having with the Covenant.

Agreed, more or less it feels like a covenant reskin, however I dont know how they could really change combat all that much.

Why do matches even start when there is no one on the other team?

This happened twice for me and a couple friends last night in Oddball. What's worse, they could have just put the two splitscreeners on the other wide, and then let JIP fill out the rest.

Between that shit and party splitting, they got some kinks to work out in Halo 4's MM

TCKaos

Just something short:

Just wait until
a Knight fucking teleports up to you like you're watching DragonBall and then having him shove his giant sword hand in to your fucking stomach.

Scariest shit on Legendary ever.

Also MISSION 8 BALLS-OUT ACTION SPOILER BELOW:
Holy shit the Broadsword section turned me in to a man. A giddy, Starfox loving giggling manly man.

Campaig spoiler discussions etc. Don't read if you haven't finished the game:

What did you guys think about the look of the Forerunners/Didact/Librarian? Can't say I really liked it. I didn't really have an image in my head of them but they most certainly wouldn't look like that to me

Arnie

Ending of mission three was terrifyingly awesome. This game has me hooked through the story at least.

Exactly where I'm up to, and I agree with both comments you've just made.

Promethans aren't exciting to fight for me, like, at all. Just bullet sponges.

Someone should really make a terminal discussion thread. They were crazy, and even after reading the books, I still am having trouble piecing together that timeline.

Campaig spoiler discussions etc. Don't read if you haven't finished the game:

What did you guys think about the look of the Forerunners/Didact/Librarian? Can't say I really liked it. I didn't really have an image in my head of them but they most certainly wouldn't look like that to me

I thought they were awful.
Didact looked like a rejected Gears of War character and the Librarian was even worse, Voldemort in drag or something. She reminded me way too much of the latest Assassin Creed stuff, aka hologram of female from ancient race with big ugly thing on head telling me weird "science lol" shit about my genetics.

daedalius

While I agree it's insulting, it's not like you haven't seen some people say the same thing about Bungie here. Do you call them out too?

I have issues with the Bungie's design decisions in Reach, but I'm not going to come on here and insult them with stuff like 'throwing shit at the wall to see what sticks'.

I'm sure they had very good reasons behind their decisions, it just happens that most of us don't agree with them.

The only thing I am disappointed with so far in Campaign in 4 is the fact that the music seems mixed so low, I can barely hear it most of the time. Its such a good soundtrack, I want it to be much louder!

Karl2177

Having four threads for this game is fucking rediculous. Spoiler, review, gaming, community... Now that the game is out, two of them aren't necessary.
Edit: 6 actually. Forgot about both GAF leagues, which could honestly be in the same thread.

Shadders

Anyone having trouble with the Sparan Ops challenge for completing them all on Legendary? I've done it, but it hasn't unlocked the challenge even though my service record shows each level as completed on Legendary..

Having four threads for this game is fucking rediculous. Spoiler, review, gaming, community... Now that the game is out, two of them aren't necessary.

I also thought it was pretty weird we kept the community thread (I'm assuming you're talking about the community and spoiler thread :p) once the Halo 4 OT started. But since pretty much everyone of regular HaloGAF posts here, I decided to keep this as my main Halo 4 thread.

Arnie

Looking forward to playing more tonight; reached mission 4, and played a fair bit of multiplayer. Will make a proper post on my feelings in a couple of weeks, and my feelings are largely mixed. A lot of my frustration comes from the core multiplayer gameplay being so fucking good, that it exasperates the asinine design decisions around it. Obviously ordnance can be toggled off, which requires you to sit in a playlist of about three maps, and in that respect it sometimes feels like playing a beta with these launch playlists. It's Haven, Adrift, Solace, or if you move towards big team, Valhalla every time.

Woorloog

Banned
Anyone having trouble with the Sparan Ops challenge for completing them all on Legendary? I've done it, but it hasn't unlocked the challenge even though my service record shows each level as completed on Legendary..

5 Episodes on Legendary, not 5 chapters... Can't do that Achievement yet.

Spoiler free:

Finished my campaign run: Solo, Heroic and it was probably the best way to get into the story. I think if I would have just done Legendary right off the bat, I wouldn't have enjoyed the game at all. I have a few issues with some of the missions and more than a couple of encounters are frustrating, but I have to say that as a non-follower of the fiction outside the game, the storytelling was excellent. The voice-acting alone sets it apart from any other Halo game, which was such a breath of fresh air. Seriously, I don't think I've ever seen/heard better acting in a game. I'm anxious to start a Legendary run to see if my opinion of the story changes, but some of the encounters are keeping me from jumping right back into it.
I want to praise 343 for the new weapons. With the exception of the Suppressor, the Promethean guns are fantastic and a real joy to use. I even like using the Sticky Detonator; love seeing all those red dots surrounding what/who I've stuck right before I pull the trigger again.

Spartan Ops. I played all of the missions with randoms yesterday evening, and so far I'm disappointed with how insanely short the missions are. I remember hearing the word "bite-sized" when describing SpOps, and that's pretty damned accurate. You barely have enough time to enjoy the surroundings and all the work that was put into the mission before it's all over with.
I'm also kind of baffled at the decision where once a mission ends, you're kicked out of matchmaking and the split from the party that you were matched with. It's incredibly jarring considering how short the missions are and how much I personally abhor the menu system. It may have been decided on to keep the matching times fast, but I'd rather keep it similar to Reach's Firefight where you stay in a party and move on to the next mission, and can back out if you choose.

Didn't get around to playing multiplayer, and I was too tired from staying up all night to really mess with Forge. Overall I'm really enjoying myself with the game, and I want to say again how great Alison Stroll is for allowing me to be a part of such a fun launch party.

Shadders

5 Episodes on Legendary, not 5 chapters... Can't do that Achievement yet.

Nonono, I'm talking about the Weekly Challenge

"Episode of Legend

Complete all missions in Departure on Legendary difficulty. 3000XP"

I have the Legendary Episode achievement for completing all five chapters, but not the challenge..

LA lot of my frustration comes from the core multiplayer gameplay being so fucking good, that it exasperates the asinine design decisions around it.
Yep. And it's not even any one thing, it's like a hundred tiny things to do with playlists and gametypes and UI and the metagame and a general fog of irritation surrounding really solid second-to-second movement and gunplay.

Can't count the number of times I said "One shot on my X... oh." last night, for instance. The respawn system, like the ordnance systems, just encourages randomness. Fine when I'm blazing through the honeymoon period, but next month, and the month after?

Going from Halo 2 UI to Halo 3 UI to Halo Reach UI was a smooth, beautiful progression that seemed to add depth while becoming simpler each time. Halo 4's UI is fine, not terrible, whatever, but the only way I can explain why they didn't just copy-paste Reach's more elegant presentation is that Microsoft mandated everything look like Windows 8.

So I've done the first three missions of the campaign so far, and I've said here how I don't think the gameplay is engaging for the most part. I've pondered that part of the reason I feel this way is because of the difficulty. Out of curiosity I went back to Bungie.net to compare my deaths, a good indicator of difficulty I think (but not the be all end all), for the last three Halo games to Halo 4. First time I played for each game. The first three levels Waypoint hasn't updated to include my completed third mission, but the number of deaths I got in that level was four or five at the most.

Halo 4 -
Mission 1: 0
Mission 2: 3
Mission 3: 5

Total: 8

Halo 3 -
1. Sierra 117: 9
2. Crow's Nest: 1
3. Tsavo Highway: 33

Total: 43

Halo 3: ODST -
1. Tayari Plaza: 0
2. Uplift Reserve: 6
3. Kizingo Boulevard: 4

Total: 10

Halo: Reach -
1. Winter Contingency: 3
2. ONI Alpha Site: 6
3. Nightfall: 5

Total: 14

So the discrepancy isn't as large as I imagined, but with the high-end guess for the third mission of Halo 4, there is a noticeable drop.

So it's mostly other factors at work here.

Woorloog

Banned
Nonono, I'm talking about the Weekly Challenge

"Episode of Legend

Complete all missions in Departure on Legendary difficulty. 3000XP"

I have the Legendary Episode achievement for completing all five chapters, but not the challenge..

Oh. Well. More server issues?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom