• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT11| Forward Unto Dong

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigShow36

I'm doing a bit better than I did in Reach so far, but still just a bit about .500 on K/D.

Trying to find which main weapon I like most. I got the perk for 2 main weapons so have a DMR/BR class, also have a Carbine/AR class.

There's your first mistake right there. Either primary rifle is fine, and you're wasting a perk slot that could be used for something better. You can almost always find either a DMR or a BR to swap our your secondary with in a few seconds anyway.

I'm doing much better than I did in Reach. Maybe it's because sprint+melee isn't effective, armor lock only faces one direction, and peeps can't handle my thrusting. 2.25 K/D BAYBEE!

I had a bunch of people try and sprint + melee me last night. Felt so good giving them what they deserve.

This netcode is beautiful. I only lagged once in MP and it was for a few seconds scoped in and a guy off in the distance lag-teleported about five feet, that's it. As for Campaign and Spartan Ops so far, I haven't felt any input lag. 343 are wizards.

Does this game have any Mercenary playlists like in MW? If there's anything to bring over from COD, it's that.

EDIT: Damn, I thought this was the Halo 4 thread.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
There's your first mistake right there. Either primary rifle is fine, and you're wasting a perk slot that could be used for something better. You can almost always find either a DMR or a BR to swap our your secondary with in a few seconds anyway.

Hmm. Possibly.

Still doesn't help me with the overall game though. I think my issue is rushing into battle too quickly. It accounts for a lot of my deaths. I'm a good shot, but a lot of the times I'll sprint in and end up being over my head and die.

We really should have a HaloGAF list of gamertags, so we never have to deal with randoms again

There was a reach tag at one point..and I know devo had some sort of google doc spreadsheet.

I have some of HaloGAF on my list but generally they're already all partied up when I get on.

Is there an easy button to hit to get out of the sprint animation like there was in Reach? I feel like it takes longer this time around. It's cool that you can use AAs while sprinting though! Makes Hologram interesting.

Stats do not matter to me anymore due to Join in Progress.

When CSR comes in, please for the love of god have it only affect playlists that do not have join in progress (which also means, please add playlists that do not have join in progress).

I hate being jipped by JIP.

Yager

Banned
There was a reach tag at one point..and I know devo had some sort of google doc spreadsheet.

I have some of HaloGAF on my list but generally they're already all partied up when I get on.

I think I saw you today online, but I was with my friends playing. Later I'll connect again, if there's room for you, I'll let you know! The problem is that we're all from Spain, and I'm not sure how many of my folks talk in English!

Anyway, I support the idea of making a GTs list.

One of the big ones for me, and one of my single biggest worries, is AI. I've seen Grunts do flat-out retarded things, including getting stuck on scenery, and Elites barely seem to duck and weave anymore. Saw a Prom dog run endlessly along the same spot on a wall. Knights' teleportation seems almost random. Fights with Prometheans devolve into uninteresting spamming by both sides, and it feels like they've been beefed up to take a lot of damage rather than being legitimately threatening in their own right (except for the Knight melee).

Also disappointed by the weaponry the Prometheans use against you. Against the Covenant, you've always faced lots of differently coloured, slow-moving lasers and plasmas. They're differently coloured so you can identify and prioritize threats almost instinctively; they're slow-moving so you can dodge and juke through the fray and feel like a badass. The Promethean weapons, by contrast, just sort of pepper with you a mess of indistinguishable orange stuff that seems to hit instantly. Fights feel flatter, and some of the early areas you engage Prometheans in are just open spaces with rocks dotted around. So it ends up feeling like a war of attrition where you're trying to pummel them more than they pummel you (Prom dog headshots feel good, but the Boltshot's design means firing single shots feels like it has massive input latency). It risks being graceless at times.
I've noticed this too. Even if you put forth the argument that they do it more on Legendary, it still doesn't make any sense for them not to do it as much as on Heroic given past games.

Game has me hooked on the story and I want to play mission 4 ASAP to see what happens next. Terminals are all up on Youtube? Excellent. I'll watch them all when I finish the campaign.

Also, I really gotta stop playing with randoms. I may not be the greatest player, but some people..

Seriously.

I'm a dreadful player (but I have fun), but it is not cool when a teammate dives for my ordnance and takes it before I can get there.
It has been my biggest, "Seriously?" moment in Halo 4 so far.

I never TK, but you better believe I give them a couple pops from my DMR when they do this. There should be some sort of three second timer where the ordnance is reserved for the caller and is then open to the public.

Just finished on legendary.

In terms of difficulty, legendary was easy to me. The last level presented some challenges, but was never frustrating.

I absolutely believe the prometheans shine on the legendary difficulty.

In terms of the campaign, I genuinely thought it was one of the best 'blockbuster' games I've played in a long time.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I have yet to find a terminal and I've been looking more than usual. I'll have to go back through on easy when I'm done with Heroic to explore.

Is there an easy button to hit to get out of the sprint animation like there was in Reach? I feel like it takes longer this time around. It's cool that you can use AAs while sprinting though! Makes Hologram interesting.
The Fishstick setup has sprint on the left stick, so when you stop holding forward you stop sprinting.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Is there an option to turn down effects/music and turn up voices? I can't hear what characters are saying in SP over the noise.

Is there an option to turn down effects/music and turn up voices? I can't hear what characters are saying in SP over the noise.
It's a Halo game, of course not.

You should tinker with your setup, though. I didn't have a problem hearing dialog when using my 5.1 headphones, but I've had to adjust the audio setting on Halo CE: A to make the voices louder than the weapon noises.

Havok

Unfortunately, no. I feel like the audio mixing is generally not great in the game. Effects can occasionally drown out pretty much everything else, even the music and especially some in-game dialogue. While I usually play with subtitles on anyway, this is the first time that I'd recommend turning them on even to folks who are staunchly against them.

It's not really like I've got a complicated setup, either. They're just stereo headphones.

I just press X again(which is Sprint on Recon)

edit: and yeah, the sound mixing sucks in this game. I can't believe they don't have even a basic voice 1-10/music 1-10/sound effects 1-10 option. Had to turn subtitles on with all the noise.

malfcn

Done with CEA and 2. Time for 3 and then 4.

CEA is CEA
Halo 2 gives me mixed feelings. The game gives an epic vibe. But the arbiter parts felt strange. The story was interesting. And dat ending, and fantastic musical score.

Unfortunately, no. I feel like the audio mixing is generally not great in the game. Effects can occasionally drown out pretty much everything else, even the music and especially some in-game dialogue. While I usually play with subtitles on anyway, this is the first time that I'd recommend turning them on even to folks who are staunchly against them.

It's not really like I've got a complicated setup, either. They're just stereo headphones.
What's the setting on your xbox? Is it set to stereo or surround? That can make a big difference and can sometimes be overlooked.

I think I saw you today online, but I was with my friends playing. Later I'll connect again, if there's room for you, I'll let you know! The problem is that we're all from Spain, and I'm not sure how many of my folks talk in English!

Anyway, I support the idea of making a GTs list.

Alright, If nobody else steps up the plate by the time I get home from work, I'll start one. Scanning the H4 OT, It doesn't look like there's a dedicated H4 tag either.

Overdoziz

Banned
Damn, they should've really showed some of the stuff in the terminals during the cutscenes. It does a much better job at explaining what happened up to the point of Halo 4.

Havok

What's the setting on your xbox? Is it set to stereo or surround? That can make a big difference and can sometimes be overlooked.
Digital Stereo. I thought something was funky, but the settings are all fine. Some dialogue just happens at unfortunate moments.
Damn, they should've really showed some of the stuff in the terminals during the cutscenes. It does a much better job at explaining what happened up to the point of Halo 4.
Absolutely agreed. Watched them yesterday and kept asking "Wait, why wasn't this in the game?"

First game of co-op Spartan Ops matchmaking, input lag like a motha, lag spikes everywhere, die from railgun overcharge because of lag spike.

Halo

edit: Plywood pls :(

Out of everything in the game so far, I really like the campaign the least. It seemed tedious, way too many on-rails sections, the dialogue was kind of cheesy as was the plot.

LOVE SpOps, the mode may have been designed for co-op, but it shines for solo. Can't wait for next weeks episode (when does that come out BTW)

Multiplayer- not enough data overall. BR needs a buff and AR needs a nerf. I need to start finishing my kills, it's frustrating missing the headshot after you've popped shields.

Tawpgun

Regarding Legendary Ending

His eyes were black... not sure if it was meant to obscure them, or because they were actually black because of what the librarian.

Regarding Legendary Ending

His eyes were black... not sure if it was meant to obscure them, or because they were actually black because of what the librarian.

Pretty sure it was to obscure them. Show his skin for the shock value of Removing The Helmet, but don't actually show anything noteworthy, so we still don't know what he looks like.

Havok

Yeah, multiflag on asymmetric maps is really bad. Blue flag on Complex sits in a killing field where anyone approaching will get melted in a heartbeat if the defenders are paying any attention, and there's no viable cover-heavy route to get out of there even if you do manage to grab it.

Axe Complex, Abandon. Put in a seriously retooled version of Ragnarok with just Hog/Mongoose/Ghost, rockets at top center, and then Longbow and Exile variants (minus tank, minus Gauss, minus Banshee).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom