• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT11| Forward Unto Dong

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I expected something a little more sophisticated for global, it acts more like a computer-selected personal ordnance than a set rotation of map-dependant weapons. =/

It's pretty fun to use, gotta take into account surfaces and how close the enemy will be to them. It's blas radius makes it a tad idiot-proof but overall it's a decent replacement for the pipe.

I keep calling it the target locator though haha.

So many idiot proof weaps in this game.

That reminds me sometime soon I need to make a Halo 4 inspired banner. My current halogaf one is Reach mode. The visual elements in 4 are very well done.

Farooq

Banned
Game is shipping tomorrow. Quick question, how close can you get to classic Halo settings using the customs options?

I know you cannot disable sprint, what else do I need to know.

Conor 419

Banned
I was getting really pissed off waiting for Halo 4, so me and my friend Jeggo tried to rob a Blockbuster video. Jeggo went through the front and I went round the back, but out of nowhere the rozzers turned up and now there's blood everywhere and I don't know where Jeggo is.

BigShow36

Can't help but feel CTF on Ragnarok would be much better without Mantis and Banshee, but then Mantis wouldn't be in multi at all..

Oh no, a grossly overpowered vehicle won't be in Halo!

Anyone played pro yet how is it? I don't want to get up and play right now. Dog is on me.

I like it quite a bit and it's what I'm going to be spending most of my time in going forward. I just with there were classic power weapon and power up spawns. Otherwise, its the only no-radar playlist.

35 second flag reset time on Adrift.
That's some Bungie-style gametype settings, 343. It makes it practically impossible to recover flags if they're even a bit close to the enemy base.

Yeah, true, but that was epic an comeback by us.

Great game.

Also that's one great picture of Tuna and Squid.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Ok, this waypoint shit is fucking irritating. How do I set the damned thing to buffer (and turn subtitles on) so that it isn't a pixilated mess? I click on settings and it says "auto" but I can't change it.

What a cluster fuck.

Arnie

So much random shit in this game. For every orgasmic five shot, or every neat triple on a game of Team Slayer Pro, there's a random weapon spawn, or some arbitrary ordnance, or an instantly respawning opponent. This game feels really different to Halo, to me, even if that core loop is somewhat similar.

Trey

But they're supposed to be hidden sidebits that dedicated fans find, not things that are essential and if they're missed you lose part of the story.

That doesn't make sense. Everyone who read the books knew all of that stuff anyways, so why hide it away just for them? Especially since the story of Halo 4 depends on that material for context.

Ken

I was going to say global ordnance hasn't been that bad yet, but I just had an Energy Sword spawn in front of me next to a guy hiding behind a crate. It was terrible.

Also why is the Energy Sword still a thing.

J10

Banned
I'm moving towards the bottom of the ramp, activate PV to make sure I'm not walking into an ambush, see guy at the top holding what I think is a shotgun, so I stop. He also was moving toward the ramp, activated PV, saw me beneath him, and stopped. We both waited. I turned around walked in a different direction.

There is a lot of that going on. Many player encounters come grinding to a halt because players see each other through walls and decide to wait for the other player to round the corner. It's like they're using Armor Lock, but without any shooting. I'm also having trouble figuring out how to flank effectively. I thought about using camo to offset it, but I have no trouble identifying players who use it when I'm using PV, so I figure no one else is either.

Arnie

Was enjoying campaign before, did a really difficult 30 minute combat sequence in mission 4, then died in a different area and there was no checkpoint. Turned it off in frustration. Don't have enough time in the day to go over the same sequences over and over again, let alone the patience.

Ryaaan14

Banned
Online XP limit reached.

You gotta be shitting me.

Whoever said Dew 2XP would conflict with the cap was 100% correct. This is awful.

WWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

da_zps2c953905.gif

Super old, but I don't keep up with these threads: Ghaleon doesn't always post GIFs, but when he does, they are fucking amazing.
Not a political post, I just think the GIF is awesome.

Also just wanted to say that I've played through the first three missions, and I am extremely impressed. There have been a couple of frustrating encounters, but the artistic vision they were going for in this game is simply delivered on fully. Feels very sci-fi, and it's fucking gorgeous. Sound design lends am amazing hand and the whole experience feels so awe-inspiring and mesmerizing. Can't wait to play more of it (hopefully tonight, so fucking busy with that real life shit.)

This was a fun first match.

I finished up campaign (heroic solo first), spartan ops (heroic solo first) and last night tried my hand at war games (Infinity Slayer).

Loved the story and cutscenes for campaign but both SPOPS & Campaign have a few
too many switches (that got a little stale) and I would have liked a little real battle with Didact (maybe like H2 Heretic). The Cortana left behind/dying bit is an interesting twist and I really enjoyed the John/Cortana dialogues in Halo 4. It will be more interesting to see a new/replacement Cortana and how John reacts to this other version in future games. As for atmosphere Halo 4 is dripping with it, I often found myself proactively looking around and just looking in wonder at the Forerunner architecture or moving parts/machines. The sense of scale and wonder resonated with me perfectly.

War games was glorious, tons of fun and I found ordnance drops to provide a flow to your game. You can take on multiple enemies and teamwork just wrecks! Personal ordnance drops seem a little overpowered but with everyone getting them and not resetting when you die I suppose it's fairly balanced for what it is. Going up against better matched players will show its true colours. The movement, strafe, 1v1 battles and even 1v2 battles are spot on. I think this new balance is right on in terms of solo power plays vs. requiring teamwork and it was something that Reach lost big time, it was too teamwork focused if you ask me.

Still getting used to the maps as I basically only played them the one fresh time, random weapon drops I need to keep more of an eye out for and it's like no one even goes for them. I guess we have to wait for the full population to come online and get skill metrics for matching as well as map knowledge and experience with the new controls/game etc. Grenades are balanced and not spam like without dead corpse pickups and I'm liking that aspect too.

Seems multiplayer has the shiny new graphics too, which is great, the maps so far kept you in the action most of the time and allowing yourself to spawn on the timer seems to respawn you with teammates where if you press X to instant respawn you're going to have to sprint back to battle on your own. Also loving the DMR, BR & Lightrifle in mutliplayer with it being a nice change to have some weapon variety. Really enjoying the gunplay over nuke-grenades.

Progression ranking up is fast (even without double XP etc) and I really like the tailoring of loadouts then switching them in game as dynamic map and variables come into play. A nice customisation and adaptable playstyle/weapons as you face different enemies and battles.

The one glaring issue is NO Good Connection filter as I was playing with some mates and without that I fear the connection would have been so poor to almost unplayable and certainly not consistent gameplay, unlike these partied up first matches. So we had great games and a great connection but I'm not holding out hope for random solo matchmaking. Seriously 343i WTF did you remove this feature for?

Tonight I'll try out the new CTF/Dominion and other gamemodes to see how that goes *fingers crossed. I a huge flag/assault objective guy.

TL;DR Campaign was highly enjoyable and it seems very replayable for the most part. I was able to traverse a number of different attack/retreat tactics and vectors which I thoroughly enjoyed. War games and it's sandbox appear to be doing far more right than wrong and I'm eager to play more closely matched games and get used to the new maps/mechanics. Spartan Ops cutscenes are insanely good and for me I'm happy this mode has replaced Firefight. SPOPS needs more time to show its true colours though.

PS 343i - Thanks for spoiling us rotten with the amount and quality Halo content over the recent months. Between books, videos, puzzles, bulletins, campaign, SPOPS, war games and FUD we are truly swimming in Halo at the moment. KUDOS.

Ken

No. It's like raising the level cap by 10.

Ew. That's going to be a pretty steep curve then. Was hoping each specialization was basically another 1-50 rather than a SR1-130.

But Halo 4 isn't like CoD.

I'm starting to enjoy a few things they brought from CoD like the instant respawn so it's not all bad. I'm also playing the game more like I would a CoD game, which is good and bad. Good because I don't take CoD seriously and never really get angry at anything, bad because I don't take games seriously anymore, although it must be pretty difficult for anyone to take a JiP game seriously.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
So if I understand it correctly, Specialization is basically prestiging, right?

Not really. You don't restart levels, and you pick a spec to get perks that affect certain gameplay styles (driving, sniping, etc). Prestige in CoD means you just go back to 0 and lose all your weapons. Not the case here.

Ken

Not really. You don't restart levels, and you pick a spec to get perks that affect certain gameplay styles (driving, sniping, etc). Prestige in CoD means you just go back to 0 and lose all your weapons. Not the case here.

I was hoping you'd reset to 0 because I hate steep leveling curves after GW2 but oh well.

Arnie

This so much. Nothing about the music stands out.

Agree. Sound effects are really hit and miss, too. UI is ass, whilst we're at it. Absolutely terrible. Pointed this out pre-release, to clarify, but I got the usual 'don't judge it until you've used it' shtick.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Ew. That's going to be a pretty steep curve then. Was hoping each specialization was basically another 1-50 rather than a SR1-130.

I'm starting to enjoy a few things they brought from CoD like the instant respawn so it's not all bad. I'm also playing the game more like I would a CoD game, which is good and bad. Good because I don't take CoD seriously and never really get angry at anything, bad because I don't take games seriously anymore, although it must be pretty difficult for anyone to take a JiP game seriously.

Each specialization is a basically a 50-60.

I'm actually very excited to start enlisting in the specializations.

Ken

Anyone else find it kind of disappointing that the LE couldn't come with a skin for a higher level armor that's not the default? Lol.

I don't get it. So specialization #1 is from 50-60, and your next specialization will be from 50-60 again or 60-70? Or are you saying that 50-60 is the same curve as 60-70, 70-80, and so on.

orznge

Banned

you should be able to "invest" in player choice as a function of well, making choices, instead of grinding and then making choices - not that grinding to unlock player choice isn't some games' "thing" but lol at it being in Halo

IHaveIce

Banned
Damn the Campaign level Shutdown on Legendary Solo is just nuts.

Can't seem to finish it, damn Prometheans with their one shot weapons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom