• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT11| Forward Unto Dong

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reminds me of Reach.

Bungie: "The game is really smooth"
(actual fans play reach and notice tons of frame drops)
Fans: "What do you mean I noticed frame drops in the FIRST mission 2 minutes in..."
Bungie: "Oh those frame drops, those are classified as acceptable performance loss"
Fans: "..."

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Anyone else find it kind of disappointing that the LE couldn't come with a skin for a higher level armor that's not the default? Lol.

I don't get it. So specialization #1 is from 50-60, and your next specialization will be from 50-60 again or 60-70? Or are you saying that 50-60 is the same curve as 60-70, 70-80, and so on.

You go from 50-1 to 50-10 for each specialization.

willow ve

First Infinity Slayer game went 30-7. 2 Sprees, 1 Frenzy, 5 Doubles, 1 Tashi Ceiling. Only black screen once right at the very beginning. Glad I played through campaign and some Sparty Ops first so I could have my trusty BR on my side and be adjusted to the controls.

Not a fan of instant respawn, but it does allow you to get more kills against scrubs.

And commendation tracking is still fucked. Fix that shit.

Pop

Reminds me of Reach.

Bungie: "The game is really smooth"
(actual fans play reach and notice tons of frame drops)
Fans: "What do you mean I noticed frame drops in the FIRST mission 2 minutes in..."
Bungie: "Oh those frame drops, those are classified as acceptable performance loss"
Fans: "..."

I haven't experienced framerate drops in any mode.

HiredN00bs answer: to keep people from farming

Who honestly gives a shit? If someone is going to play the game that much just give 'em stuffs. This is why I find myself becoming less and less game oriented. It's all geared towards entitled idiots. I'm sorry to be so cynical and assholish about it but that's just generally how I feel.

Stop abuse of the system and acts as a "don't you think you've had enough today?" sign.

Which abuse? Where? The last time it was harmless firefight farming.

MrDaravon

Hilariously though their own Double XP program is causing people to hit the cap in 3-4 hours, which kind of defeats the point.

Is everyone talking about framedrops playing in splitscreen? I haven't seen any framerate issues in BTB.

Probably because they cant test every which way people are going to try and earn credits fastest so to prevent someone from cheating and hitting highest level they cap it.

Then you know, the rest of the people have to suffer.

Kind of like the ranking system.

Its all about making sure cheaters dont win in VIDEO GAMES. They cant just leave the ranking system and ban cheaters no, they have to remove the ranking system completely.

Stop abuse of the system and acts as a "don't you think you've had enough today?" sign.

1st part yes, 2nd part...have they said that somewhere? Who are they to tell us how much we should game? They arent exactly the most philanthropic company ever..you know force feeding little chubk's mountain dew and dorito point accelerators.

Who honestly gives a shit? If someone is going to play the game that much just give 'em stuffs. This is why I find myself becoming less and less game oriented. It's all geared towards entitled idiots. I'm sorry to be so cynical and assholish about it but that's just generally how I feel.

Which abuse? Where? The last time it was harmless firefight farming.

Self abuse. They don't want you burning through all there is in a week. It'll keep players coming back over a longer period which boosts the longevity of the game as well as the population of the game.

As for juices'; The vast majority of people will never hit the cap. I think I hit it once really late into Reach. Most people will see it as a sign to stop playing for that day and come back the day after. No one loses.

Self abuse. They don't want you burning through all there is in a week. It'll keep players coming back over a longer period which boosts the longevity of the game as well as the population of the game.

So they want to play armchair psychologists with games, they got people to buy it already.

So I'm downloading top 5 clips right now and it doesn't let you que em up like halo 3 or reach. You have to wait for each file to download before you can hit download on the next or else it cancels the previous. Its really annoying and slowing down the process.

So they want to play armchair psychologists with games, they got people to buy it already.

So instead of psycholgists you are suggesting they are purely out there for your money? Suit yourself. I don't think it was their goal with this. I think it's primarily to stop abuse and as a side effect it is a cool down notice of sorts. Of course you can play the fucking game as long as you want. Unless you only play it for your precious XP which no one even cares about.

Seriously, for all the shit the XP system gets, everyone gets super pissy when they stop raining down. Yeah they got you hooked.

They were short on dumb/useless shit for you to unlock, so they artificially stretch it out by stifling your progress?

Sounds like it. I'm just not able to keep up with the carrot on a stick stuff and seeing things go the way of earn and purchase rather than how egalitarian Halo was in the latest games, I see the writing on the wall. I mean I have fun with this game but the more people unlock stuff I already get frustrated with what I'm seeing.

So instead of psycholgists you are suggesting they are purely out there for your money? Suit yourself. I don't think it was their goal with this. I think it's primarily to stop abuse and as a side effect it is a cool down notice of sorts. Of course you can play the fucking game as long as you want. Unless you only play it for your precious XP which no one even cares about.

Seriously, for all the shit the XP system gets, everyone gets super pissy when they stop raining down. Yeah they got you hooked.

Um they made XP give out stuff that's not just for vanity so that argument is lousy.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
So I'm downloading top 5 clips right now and it doesn't let you que em up like halo 3 or reach. You have to wait for each file to download before you can hit download on the next or else it cancels the previous. Its really annoying and slowing down the process.

People appreciate you even more now! :p

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Getting home in 30 minutes. I cordially invite you to dong with me.

Give out stuff super quickly you mean? I'm two days in and can just about have picked whatever I wanted off the bat. You'll get over it too.

I still don't see the point in your other argument. People will burn themselves out? This is based on what? What do they actually gain from stretching out the time frame for leveling up?

Fracas

#fuckonami
I'm okay with a credit cap, but it should be loads higher, to where it can actually serve its purpose (preventing huge xp exploits) instead of punishing people who are playing a ton/have double xp.

Agree. Sound effects are really hit and miss, too. UI is ass, whilst we're at it. Absolutely terrible. Pointed this out pre-release, to clarify, but I got the usual 'don't judge it until you've used it' shtick.

Yeah. While I feel like 343 nailed the core gameplay, and it is probably the best it has been since Halo 2. A lot of the secondary things that Bungie excelled at and I think Halo fans took for granted, 343 dropped the ball on. The music/sound and the UI are the biggest issues. I mean it's great when you can say that kind of stuff is the biggest problem a game has, but it's a lot more noticeable when the team making Halo prior was at the top of the industry when it came those areas.

I'm okay with a credit cap, but it should be loads higher, to where it can actually serve its purpose (preventing huge xp exploits) instead of punishing people who are playing a ton/have double xp.

No better just cap points or not let people input controls because *exploitation.* It's just broken solutions for problems that will arise.

malfcn

Confused on Halo 3.

I think I am entering the Library. Guilty has to unlock a door. But on the other side of the door is a fleet of Scorpion and UNSC. How?

Okay wow, I'm kinda pissed. The announcers voice doesn't play on saved clips. What made it into this game? They cut theater for spops and campaign and the multiplayer theater doesnt even work properly.

Yeah. While I feel like 343 nailed the core gameplay, and it is probably the best it has been since Halo 2. A lot of the secondary things that Bungie excelled at and I think Halo fans took for granted, 343 dropped the ball on. The music/sound and the UI are the biggest issues. I mean it's great when you can say that kind of stuff is the biggest problem a game has, but it's a lot more noticeable when the team making Halo prior was at the top of the industry when it came those areas.

Core gameplay is great. Voting is good. Some of the maps are well put together. But I was already getting annoyed with the UI and perks yesterday and it's out a day? Shit.

Havok

An XP cap this low on a game whose developers have touted the idea that for everything you do, you should get a reward is hilarious. We want the players to feel like they're accomplishing something, unless they play more than 5 hours in a day during the launch week of the game, in which case oops sorry. I understand the preventing exploits part, but in that case the cap should not be low enough for a normal, nonpoopsocking player to hit it within a few hours using a system they put in for a fucking marketing promotion with PepsiCo.
Okay wow, I'm kinda pissed. The announcers voice doesn't play on saved clips. What made it into this game? They cut theater for spops and campaign and the multiplayer theater doesnt even work properly.
Yeah, just made a clip of a Killtrocity I got earlier and I was shocked that the announcer didn't show up. The primary use case of film clips is to showcase amazing moments, why cut off something that gives it more of a wow factor?

Redford

aka Cabbie
Hope this outrage over an XP cap doesn't overshadow some of the other tweaks this game needs when 343 goes looking for what to fix in the first patch.

I still don't see the point in your other argument. People will burn themselves out? This is based on what? What do they actually gain from stretching out the time frame for leveling up?

Some people stop playing once they get to the top. They stop seeing things to gain besides enjoyment from the game itself. If that something can be preserved longer, there'll be more people going for it a year or two later (which boosts the population).

I think sheer numbers of people playing Reach so long after launch and still having not reached Inheritor demonstrates how it can help.

More people wanting to play the game longer after release as opposed to people hitting the top and burning out when the game itself just don't cut it no more.

Alternatively: It's just a video game.

Fuchsdh

Halo 3? Is it The Ark?

Yeah. Spark opens the door you enter, but he also opens the bottom door where your assembled fleet is. You proceed in, so do the Scorpions and 'Hogs, and you activate the light bridge for them to proceed through the structure like you do on foot.

Fun fact: the tanks are actually spawned in, so they're not the same tanks you leave on the other side.

Some people stop playing once they get to the top. They stop seeing things to gain besides enjoyment from the game itself. If that something can be preserved longer, there'll be more people going for it a year or two later (which boosts the population).

I think sheer numbers of people playing Reach so long after launch and still having not reached Inheritor demonstrates how it can help.

More people wanting to play the game longer after release as opposed to people hitting the top and burning out when the game itself just don't cut it no more.

Meh I'd rather have the people that just want to whore XP out of the game as soon as possible. Would this not improve multi?

J10

Banned

So instead of letting us enjoy the game at our individual pace, it's better to annoy us long term.

CyReN

Hope this outrage over an XP cap doesn't overshadow some of the other tweaks this game needs.

Anything missing so far for other issues?

• Playlist overhaul (snipers, doubles, grifball, fiesta playlists. Merge obj playlists, etc.)
  • Active Roster in alphabetical order
  • Theater for Campaign/Spartan Ops.
  • Campaign scoring/timers
  • Fix theater to have voices
  • Auto-pickup toggle
  • Ability to drop the flag
  • Static weapon timers
  • Assault gametypes
  • Join-In-Progress toggle
  • Sprint toggle
  • Active roster/voting lobby party grouping (being able to tell who is in a party with who)
  • Precision forge controls
  • Show teammates death area on map (red X/spartan tag number/give us something)
  • Being able to move while pressing the back button
  • Show scoreboard on BTB respawn screen

and if you have time:
  • Visible ranks in-game
  • Spectator Mode
  • Custom Button Configuration

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom