• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT11| Forward Unto Dong

Status
Not open for further replies.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Anything missing so far for other issues?

Make parties like before

Parties right now are an absolute disaster

And removal of post game lobby merging. I have to back out of a game before I look at my stats. I do not want to be merged with anyone else EVER

This game is brilliant Halo. So much to write and digest but for now I'll just tip my hat towards 343 and praise them for making the gunplay so, so strong. The sniper is amazing. I love the Magnum (surprisingly), it melts foes at close range. I'm having fun even when losing which is a promising sign. It's all new and I'm still on the sugar high from the first games working everything out but it feels great, growing blains an' all.

Just one thing though...

Was any explanation given on why you cannot choose your inputs for the buttons? I hate all of the layouts for different reasons.

I'm sorry 343 but you have to do better if you're going to restrict the control schemes

I think the actual reasoning was something like they couldn't test all the combinations for button glitches or something.

Never mind they couldn't test for possible button combinations; they didn't bother to test Bumper Jumper for the basic functionality of the game. I can say this with absolute certainty. In the third mission
you're given a hardlight shield for most of the level
It was practically useless against the Prometheans and their sentry beams
. You can't 'aim' the hardlight shield and hold the AA button down simultaneously without incurring early onset arthritis. Pretty poor form that this made it past 'testing'. BJ users are now locked out of two AA's. It's a shame because with sprint being default, the AA sandbox really opened up and it was one of 343's design statements to see more people experimenting with different AA's. I guess it was asking too much to put jump on (lb) and AA on (rb). I only used sprint in Reach; looks like I'll only use Promethan Vision in Halo 4.

Omni

I actually don't like Spartan Ops at all. Granted, I've only done the first mission and haven't watched the cutscene because it's a piece of shit and doesn't load at all, but still. If what I have experienced so far is how it's going to be for the next 10 weeks, then I really do not care for the mode. Firefight would've been a better choice to put in the game - At least then I could've been able to make it how I wanted to.

Then again, I think I've outgrown Halo altogether. The game is solid, but I really don't feel excited about any of it while playing. Even the campaign - which was full of things that should've sparked any kind of emotion in me - didn't... And all of this coming from a guy who felt bad when his marines died in Halo CE, 2 and 3, and considers rescuing Cortana in 3 one of the greatest moments in the game because of the ambience it creates. Nothing in 4 even comes close to that.

Multiplayer is... I don't know. Something is off. I'd hate to even say it, but some of those reviewers were right... The Halo formula feels a bit dated now. ADS isn't the answer, but it needs a little something more to keep up with other FPS games. At least to me anyway.

I miss Bungie's touch. I really don't feel the love in this game for some reason.

/My honeymoon period is over

kylej

Banned
Some people stop playing once they get to the top. They stop seeing things to gain besides enjoyment from the game itself. If that something can be preserved longer, there'll be more people going for it a year or two later (which boosts the population).

I think sheer numbers of people playing Reach so long after launch and still having not reached Inheritor demonstrates how it can help.

yeah man all those people playing reach two years after launch were doing it because they were captivated by the ranking system. I can't tell you how enthralling it was to see a bar inch forward at a snails pace, hell I nearly peed myself with excitement when i played 600 games of halo and my half moon icon turned into a full moon icon

CyReN

Keep posting and I'll keep updating.

Reaching out to other communities for things they might need also, so hopefully we can send 343 something that people really want.

Some people stop playing once they get to the top. They stop seeing things to gain besides enjoyment from the game itself. If that something can be preserved longer, there'll be more people going for it a year or two later (which boosts the population).

I think sheer numbers of people playing Reach so long after launch and still having not reached Inheritor demonstrates how it can help.

More people wanting to play the game longer after release as opposed to people hitting the top and burning out when the game itself just don't cut it no more.

Alternatively: It's just a video game.

Yea but if people can just hit the top quickly and then lose motivation then its not exactly a great progression system anyways.

They shouldn't ever cap progression though, thats defeating the entire purpose of the motivational system they've spent time creating and implementing.

Reaching out to other communities for things they might need also, so hopefully we can send 343 something that people really want.

Am I the only one who thinks P Vision doesn't belong in multi? Just Ops and Campaign?

I think the whole rank meltdown on waypoint showed them that often things things competitive players find to be fun casuals find fun as.

The only things that I want fixed are Red X's and have a playlist for SWAT.

I mean, SWAT was like a top 5 playlist in Reach right? Why isn't this standard?

And red X is self explanatory.

Don't really care about theater mode to be honest. I rarely used it in Reach. Kind of silly that they took it out, but it's not a huge deal to me.

Havok

Am I the only one who thinks P Vision doesn't belong in multi? Just Ops and Campaign?
It at the very least should be restricted for something like CTF. Guy sitting in Solace's base pulsing it every 10 seconds = either push with half your team or don't bother.

Can't agree on playlist stuff. Yeah MM is missing some stuff that would be nice to have, but the current playlist setup is better than any matchmaking setup any of the Halo games has had by a wide margin in my opinion.

It at the very least should be restricted for something like CTF. Guy sitting in Solace's base pulsing it every 10 seconds = either push with half your team or don't bother.

I mean an arrow above someone's head who's about to die and x-ray heat vision? Christ.

MrDaravon

I was an existing party and post-game it put us into another game mid-match AND it split us. I thought it wasn't supposed to do that? I know that if I join my friends who are already in a game I may be put on the other team (if there's not room on their team or whatever), but we'd been rolling uninterrupted without backing out for probably 10 games.

IHaveIce

Banned
Lol at the sprint toggle, it is now a basic gameplay move. I don't see a toggle for melee, reloading or I don't know.

I think it was pretty clear as soon as we heard it is a normal move that it would be this way.

I don't know the things that annoyed me so far are pretty basic stuff.

The weapon spawns are probably the worst thing.

Yea but if people can just hit the top quickly and then lose motivation then its not exactly a great progression system anyways.

They shouldn't ever cap progression though, thats defeating the entire purpose of the motivational system they've spent time creating and implementing.

I don't agree though. I think the fact that specilisations are being released over time is very tellin that the system is designed so that players will want to keep playing even after hitting the previous cap (SR60).

If they just wanted you to unlock their shit, they'd have it unlockable to everyone, Day 1.

Redford

aka Cabbie

- Cut some power weapons from personal ordnance (it's not too bad atm though)

- Show scoreboard on BTB respawn screen

- Disable rid of Snapshot, Distraction etc callouts. (again though, it's not as bad as I expected)

And I would say get instant spawn the hell out of the game; past two matches on Haven were just people rushing back to the bottom center of the map to die while campers were calling in SAWs. Ruins map flow imo.

I was an existing party and post-game it put us into another game mid-match AND it split us. I thought it wasn't supposed to do that? I know that if I join my friends who are already in a game I may be put on the other team (if there's not room on their team or whatever), but we'd been rolling uninterrupted without backing out for probably 10 games.

So it wasn't just me.

And I would say get instant spawn the hell out of the game; past two matches on Haven were just people rushing back to the bottom center of the map to die while campers were calling in SAWs. Ruins map flow imo.

My problem is how fast (by fast I mean SLOW) the shield comes up with instant spawn.

heckfu

Banned
My gun just got stuck and fired sideways. And i couldn't sprint.

But it was on the Extraction gametype and that shit is fun.

I don't agree though. I think the fact that specilisations are being released over time is very tellin that the system is designed so that players will want to keep playing even after hitting the previous cap (SR60).

If they just wanted you to unlock their shit, they'd have it unlockable to everyone, Day 1.

Small correction, cap was going to be SR70, not SR60.

The specializations thing is going away though, play the game connected to Xbox Live prior the 20th, and they'll email you a code for unlocking the other six specializations by the end of the month.
My gun just got stuck and fired sideways. And i couldn't sprint.

But it was on the Extraction gametype and that shit is fun.

Halo 4 customs you say?

Havok

But they're giving the specializations to everyone who plays in the first few weeks, so what does that indicate? That they know people don't like things being locked away arbitrarily, is my best guess. I don't really have a horse in this race, I just think the idea of a cap that a normal player can hit with normal play, especially when they can hit it incredibly quickly because of a marketing promotion, is pretty dumb but I'll probably never be one of the people who will reach the cap.
I mean an arrow above someone's head who's about to die and x-ray heat vision? Christ.
We haven't even seen the Nemesis armor mod in action yet. An indicator of the location of the person that killed you last, that'll be an interesting one once people start getting it.

Small correction, cap was going to be SR70, not SR60.

The specializations thing is going away though, play the game connected to Xbox Live prior the 20th, and they'll email you a code for unlocking the other six specializations by the end of the month.

That's US only dude. Even still, it'll take time to unlock them. The longer they can stretch out that time for people who play this game far more than most, the better for the population numbers.

That's US only dude. Even still, it'll take time to unlock them. The longer they can stretch out that time for people who play this game far more than most, the better for the population numbers.

Better for population, shit for people who want to play with others who are interested in playing the game rather than just completing it and shelving it.

Once again I have to find problems with this kind of philosophy given the reality of player bases.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I wish I didn't have to stop walking to check out many people are dead when I hit the back button.

Woorloog

Banned

And a reminder, i still have Specializations pre-order bonus code... Anyone wanna trade something for it?

EDIT bad time to note this... Only Europeans might need this code...

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I hate the new active roster so much. It makes checking on peoples' game status (points to win, time left) such a chore.

Someone send me an invite! I want to get a lobby going.

We haven't even seen the Nemesis armor mod in action yet. An indicator of the location of the person that killed you last, that'll be an interesting one once people start getting it.

lol Between this, PV, dash, instant spawn and slow shields I am not looking forward to it.

J10

Banned
Lol at the sprint toggle, it is now a basic gameplay move. I don't see a toggle for melee, reloading or I don't know.

I think it was pretty clear as soon as we heard it is a normal move that it would be this way.

Technically it's not a base player ability. It sometimes disappears after black screening, which indicates it's actually an always-on Armor Ability mapped to a button. They probably could have coded an on/off switch, they just chose not to. Imagine jumping or meleeing disappearing after a host switch...

Sheeeeit.

Havok

I hate the new active roster so much. It makes checking on peoples' game status (points to win, time left) such a chore.

Someone send me an invite! I want to get a lobby going.
Speaking of which, is there a way to see what playlist people are in, or any data at all about the game they're in, using the Active Roster or am I just missing it? Every time I view someone's party details it just says "In War Games" or whatever, doesn't matter what gametype they're currently playing. No indication of how much time is left, what the scores are, whatever. Reach's Active Roster gave so much useful information that I guess I totally took for granted.

Wow, didn't know that. That sucks.
People still live in Europe lol? :p

What do you mean by time to unlock them? Once the code is in, I will have access to all of them and once I finished one, I can start another one. I won't be in a situation where I have to wait for more specializations to be "unlocked" or "released". Are you simply stating that the specializations lengthen the progression system overall?

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Speaking of which, is there a way to see what playlist people are in, or any data at all about the game they're in, using the Active Roster or am I just missing it? Every time I view someone's party details it just says "In War Games" or whatever, doesn't matter what gametype they're currently playing. Reach's Active Roster gave so much useful information that I guess I totally took for granted.
If you queue to join them, you can see how much time they approximately have left in their match, but not points to win, what they're playing, or anything else. It's a major downgrade from Reach's active roster.

MrDaravon

If they have to "force" people to play longer for population numbers because otherwise they would stop playing, there are other significant issues that they should actually address.

Redford

aka Cabbie
I haven't tried to figure this out until today, but I redeemed my skin code on xbox.com last night. I can't find it in game though, where should it pop up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom