• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT11| Forward Unto Dong

Status
Not open for further replies.
We know we aren't getting theater, thats fine. no game is perfect.

I just want to know why they are trying to hide it from us. That's not how community relations work.
Pretty sure no one's hiding anything from anyone, and community relations go both ways. You can't accuse someone of withholding information and expect a real response.

Pop

lol is this true

I'm afraid so.

Edit: I have no idea why you guys continue to ask about campaign theater. You know they will never answer questions about campaign scoring and theater, well maybe like a day before launch.

Tunavi

Banned
Pretty sure no one's hiding anything from anyone, and community relations go both ways. You can't accuse someone of withholding information and expect a real response.
No one from 343 has even addressed campaign theater, not to mention that it was cut, even after we have asked countless amounts of times the past week.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened

That's some great advice! If your fan feels ignored and lashes out, ignore him further.

orznge

Banned
We know we aren't getting theater, thats fine. no game is perfect.

I just want to know why they are trying to hide it from us. That's not how community relations work.

"Community relations" is just a different name for "profit-protecting public relations." If a feature was removed and acknowledging that would hurt consumer opinions of the game and in turn potential profits, why in the world do you think they would ever say a word about it? At most you'll get some halfhearted "technical" explanation sometime down the line designed to placate people.

Fuchsdh

That's some great advice! If your fan feels ignored and lashes out, ignore him further.
Or there's something else going on we can't possibly know about.

Having been on the other end of this sort of relationship, I can say it's frustrating but often that you can't go into all the details.

I can say that it's always never a conspiracy, though.

Once you "get" the reinforcement aspect, it makes defending a base do-able for a single person, which really, really changes the feel. Like, it doesn't suck to be stuck ina base holding it yourself, it's actually challenging and not as chaotic as territories can be.
Bases in Extraction?

I'm pretty sure he's talking about Dominion.

Extraction hasn't been officially revealed, as far as I know.

-------
I think people are getting confused about the "portal gun" in Extraction. From what I can tell, it's just the animation that plays when you arm/capture a control point. You don't actually carry anything around.

Tunavi

Banned
"Community relations" is just a different name for "profit-protecting public relations." If a feature was removed and acknowledging that would hurt consumer opinions of the game and in turn potential profits, why in the world do you think they would ever say a word about it? At most you'll get some halfhearted "technical" explanation sometime down the line designed to placate people.
PR 101: You tell the customers the truth. PR is not marketing or advertising.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened

Flip of the coin

This is game 1 of a trilogy

Consumer trust protects long term forecast over short term interests

Bsigg12

Off topic, but if you haven't already check out Hotline Miami, it's amazing.

Giantbomb Quicklook (Youtube)

Also, any idea on when the Bulletin will be up? Sorry this thread is flying through pages right now so it's hard to keep up when you have to be away for a while.

CyReN

Still crazy.

Spencer: Halo 4 is Microsoft's most expensive game

Halo 4 is the most expensive game Microsoft has ever made, Microsoft Studios head Phil Spencer tells Polygon. It is "absolutely" the most money Microsoft has ever spent developing a game, he says. "Nothing's even close."

Estimates for development costs of Halo 3: ODST average out at $60 million, and that was including a massive marketing budget of about $30 million. Halo 3: ODST ended up bringing in more than $170 million in its first 24 hours on the market. Overall, Halo is a $3 billion franchise, Spencer says

MrBig

They removed the in combat, under attack, and killed indicators from team waypoints?

The quality of these videos are poor so it is hard to tell, but there is some sort of combat indicator, a faint purple flashing. I'm not sure what causes this, though, because it does not seem to consistently trigger when someone is taking damage or firing.

Trey

No one from 343 has even addressed campaign theater, not to mention that it was cut, even after we have asked countless amounts of times the past week.

It was found out because of a leak and I don't recall any game maker ever announcing cut content, especially a niche one. There aren't many people that aren't gonna buy Halo 4 because campaign theater was cut.

It also looks like they abandoned baked-in callouts too--not that they were all that effective in Reach (the placement and size of the text made them very difficult to notice while playing, although showing them on the death cam would have greatly helped their usefulness).

That, combined with the removal of waypoint status indicators and the secondary weapon indicator, really diminshes Halo 4's tactical feedback when compared to the earlier games.

I feel like baked-in callouts are even more justified in Halo 4 because of the variable weapon spawns. Halo players often use weapon spawns as callouts.

Louis Wu

Or there's something else going on we can't possibly know about.

Having been on the other end of this sort of relationship, I can say it's frustrating but often that you can't go into all the details.

I can say that it's always never a conspiracy, though.
I'm hoping this is a typo - otherwise, you're subtly trolling. :)

This is true, and make no mistake that I'm pretty upset that the feature is gone in Campaign. However, I take the silence on their part in a couple of ways:

- The information was provided by leakers. With few exceptions, response is rarely given in that regard.
- There is a measured response coming as to why it was cut.
- "asking" didn't really happen. There was a nasty backlash, and 343 was right to let the venom disperse before making a response.

If the fans go into mob mentality mode, which they most assuredly did, extricating from the situation until it dies down is one option.

Bsigg12

It also looks like they abandoned baked-in callouts too--not that they were all that effective in Reach (the placement and size of the text made them very difficult to notice while playing, although showing them on the death cam would have greatly helped their usefulness).

That, combined with the removal of waypoint status indicators and the secondary weapon indicator, really diminshes Halo 4's tactical feedback when compared to the earlier games.

I feel like baked-in callouts are even more justified in Halo 4 because of the variable weapon spawns. Halo players often use weapon spawns as callouts.

I honestly can't say this is an issue. I always know what I have as my secondary regardless of a little indicator. I would think the majority of players feel the same way. It's poor play on your part if you don't know what you equipped to begin with or have picked up in the process of playing.

As for callouts, each map seems to have a ton of landmarks in each map or easily nickname-able areas. They were useful in Reach for 2 maps, maybe but the majority of time, we had our own callouts which were probably the same as everyone else's.

neoism

This is true, and make no mistake that I'm pretty upset that the feature is gone in Campaign. However, I take the silence on their part in a couple of ways:

- The information was provided by leakers. With few exceptions, response is rarely given in that regard.
- There is a measured response coming as to why it was cut.
- "asking" didn't really happen. There was a nasty backlash, and 343 was right to let the venom disperse before making a response.

If the fans go into mob mentality mode, which they most assuredly did, extricating from the situation until it dies down is one option.
that and frankie isn't goona shit on his on game... if it wasn't true they would say so... it's a sad thing its not in... what about screenshots though is that gone from campaign too...

Ramirez

Because lots of dumb players in play test never noticed it

(Ie they're making the game for people who abandon it in a week and not for the people who play it for years)

I would make the argument that the dumb people are actually the ones who need an icon to remind them what they're carrying.

BigShow36

Ironically, there's more information on the screen but it's less informative than a few symbols were. A bunch of text, +10's, and the announcer announcing everything isn't as valuable as an indicator above your teammates and a small weapon icon.

In the time between frantic encounters in which you come out alive, and/or when it takes a while to get into the next encounter (especially if you're distracted or talking to your teammates), it's quite easy to forget what you have in your pocket. Or you could simply deplete all of the ammo in one of your weapons and swap it out for the nearest available replacement, without much concern for what it is, so you forget about it. The fact is that there is a significant time cost to switching weapons to check, one that did not exist when there was an indicator.

I'm not talking about kids in a playtest, I've never needed that icon to tell me what I had, it was useless.

Why even have a silhouette of the weapon that you're currently holding? By your measure, it's even more useless.

Swarmerr

This is a sequential screencap of the "kill."

You can see when the shot is fired because the reticle blooms.

This is a huge problem.
If bloom is the reason he got that kill....
Thankfully the beam rifle has no bloom, and that might be the gun that players should be able to start with at the loadout screen as it will be much more consistent.

BigShow36

This is a huge problem.
If bloom is the reason he got that kill....
Thankfully the beam rifle has no bloom, and that might be the gun that players should be able to start with at the loadout screen as it will be much more consistent.

It's not bloom; you can see the bullet missing by a mile. The only reasonable explanation is a richochette, although I don't see it during the film.

In the time between frantic encounters in which you come out alive, and/or when it takes a while to get into the next encounter (especially if you're distracted or talking to your teammates), it's quite easy to forget what you have in your pocket. Or you could simply deplete all of the ammo in one of your weapons and swap it out for the nearest available replacement, without much concern for what it is, so you forget about it. The fact is that there is a significant time cost to switching weapons to check, one that did not exist when there was an indicator.

Why even have a silhouette of the primary gun that you're holding? That's even more useless.
Ammo. I guess you can do the ammo counter without the gun outline, but I just feel that would be weird.

Cetra

Snagged the Halo 4 OST earlier this morning. At first listen I was all "FUCK THIS IT AIN'T HALO!" but now I'm all like "I'll be damned, this is actually pretty frakkin' good!"

Quite a few standout tracks, and I like that all build slowly, nice and moody.

Swarmerr

It's not bloom; you can see the bullet missing by a mile. The only reasonable explanation is a richochette, although I don't see it during the film.

nvm you are right. I looked back at it again and the bloom had reset before the second shot.

I hope it is a ricochet because if that is auto aim that is ridiculous.

Another possibility could be that maybe theater is slightly off?? idk

willow ve

Halo 2 swipe sniping? I dunno, that was a clear miss with no evidence of ricochet in sight.

nvm you are right. I looked back at it again and the bloom had reset before the second shot.

I hope it is a ricochet because if that is auto aim that is ridiculous.

Another possibility could be that maybe theater is slightly off?? idk

It looks like a ricochet to me... although that's a very luck ricochet in pretty much the first gameplay we've seen of snipers.

I would make the argument that the dumb people are actually the ones who need an icon to remind them what they're carrying.

They remove that but add an announcer voice AND text popup right in the middle of your screen AND a medal spread, every single time you do anything even remotely noteworthy? Gimme a break.

I want to turn that shit off. I don't need to know +15 headshot, it is annoying and if your argument is that "You don't notice it after a while", then there is no reason to have it there in the first place.

"Community relations" is just a different name for "profit-protecting public relations."

I absolutely, 100 percent disagree. Community is a different beast from public relations. PR is company-focused while community relations is customer-focused. Both are mouthpieces for the company, but community's number one goal is to provide feedback from fans to the company, while PR's number one goal is to increase communication and promote company goals to the press and consumer.

Because lots of dumb players in play test never noticed it

(Ie they're making the game for people who abandon it in a week and not for the people who play it for years)

I'm 90% sure this was answered a while back my Frankles. I think what they discovered what that the increased weapon sandbox led to too many indistinguishable weapon silhouettes and that playtesters didn't even notice the secondary weapon silhouette being removed.

Fracas

#fuckonami
We're going to be halfway through this OT before the Halo 4 one goes up.

dayum.gif

inb4 "this post was pointless!!!111!!"

zlatko

Banned
So if I get Anni. done quick enough I'm going to tackle H2 on PC. Is 360 controller an acceptable means to play it, or do I have to use a mod for it to let me use the 360 controller?

Ramirez

Why even have a silhouette of the weapon that you're currently holding? By your measure, it's even more useless.

Knowing how much ammo you have isn't worthless though.

They remove that but add an announcer voice AND text popup right in the middle of your screen AND a medal spread, every single time you do anything even remotely noteworthy? Gimme a break.

I want to turn that shit off. I don't need to know +15 headshot, it is annoying and if your argument is that "You don't notice it after a while", then there is no reason to have it there in the first place.

Please find where I said I agreed with any of those additions...oh, I didn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom