• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT14| They call it Halo

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Yup.

I've seen alot of stuff, but I've never seen someone just fall through the level in a Halo game without something landing on them, forcefully pushing them through it. Especially in campaign.

And then it honestly is impossible for an enemy to change weapons when it dies, as everything is scripted from it. Unless some 1 and a million glitch summoned from the demons happened twice to you within minutes on the same match.
I jumped on some cluster of rocks while fighting a Knight, and next thing I know I'm falling through open space, seeing nothing but lavender fog and weird glimpses of geometry.

As far as the weapon swapping thing goes, the Knight may have been using a Light Rifle. It sure looked and sounded like a Scattershot, though.

It doesn't get better, kittens.

Entire thing felt like work. Binary rifle crawlers are the bane of my existence. Heroic is a nice balance.
Yeah, I had way more fun in my first playthrough on Heroic. I still had a few issues with running out of ammo and not having any weapons available to pick up, but other than that, there weren't major fun-killing issues.

Omni

I fully expect Microsoft to do just that. But don't they also have like 10+ studios working on projects right now? (Kinect, for sure, too). That's not including Destiny. That said, I want them to go nuts on Xbox Live 3.0 as a platform in the gaming direction, too. I don't think Microsoft is going to be so keen to miss their core audience so early in the gen, so I expect some big stuff from them coming out of the gate, or close to.

I also fully expect Sony to go crazy this gen for the core gamer, they've been steadily upping the value proposition of their brand for the past few years, and hopefully that pays off. I don't think just an Xbox is going to suffice with all the quality first party Sony content coming down the pipes lately. I'm super excited to see what the like of Naughty Dog can do with the apparently powerful hardware.

Of course, the real winners are going to be the PC gamers. I think people will see most gamer-specced PCs to be able to handle new engines and ports and benefitting from the power of new console hardware. We'll see, anway.

Fun times ahead.
Yeah. Will certainly be interesting to see what happens next-gen

You guys didn't like the "Death Star" mission? Playing that I was thinking to myself: "lol if I have to shoot this nuke into a tiny hole.."
Eh, terribly unoriginal. The entire campaign just screams of Star Wars influence.

I would have preferred a Warthog run over it... at least those are fun. (and I understand that levels don't really have to make sense in the grand scheme of things, but the entire trench was jsut ridiculous)

I jumped on some cluster of rocks while fighting a Knight, and next thing I know I'm falling through open space, seeing nothing but lavender fog and weird glimpses of geometry.

As far as the weapon swapping thing goes, the Knight may have been using a Light Rifle. It sure looked and sounded like a Scattershot, though.

Yeah, I had way more fun in my first playthrough on Heroic. I still had a few issues with running out of ammo and not having any weapons available to pick up, but other than that, there weren't major fun-killing issues.

lrn2halo. srsly.

You seem like one of those peoples that claims they get matched up with modders in Matchmaking every week.

tumblr_li1t1e510V1qhcioro1_500.gif

Nowise10

In Halo 4, it doesn't take much.

And your posts often make you seem like an arrogant prick.

So the guy complaining about how hard the campaign is, gets an AI that lunges at him, and backs away, as he is on falling of the tip vertical drop walking towards him, and punching? Do I need to go into the statistics of this? Even I haven't had something that wild happen to me in the campaign in the 5 or so days I've already spent on the campaign, and when i even tried this glitch in Multiplayer a few months back, it took me about 30 tries to successfully get to fall.

And no, my comments aren't made to make me seem like an arrogant prick. Its just a lot of people on here lack some thought about the game.

...And if we had campaign theater, and he showed me wrong, i would gladly take back everything I said and apologize, because it is possible to fall beneath the level, but it just sounds way to far fetched.

I've beat every Halo game on Legendary, and Cairo Station is the only other time I've had that problem.

I had it happen to me once on Reclaimer at the first wraith when I was trying to turtle with one of the rocket turrets but otherwise I don't think I ever encountered that problem. On missions without common Covenant ammo stick to Suppressor/Light Rifle. Suppressor eats up shields, Light Rifle can pretty much 5-shot a high-ranking Elite scoped even on Legendary.

HTupolev

lrn2halo. srsly.
Enough people have had the problem that it's safe to say that Halo 4 is doing something different*. I had it a bit on my first heroic playthrough, and the reason is that I was trying to play the game how I would a previous Halo campaign. By the time I started my legendary playthrough, I had internalized the micro fetch quest nature of things and had far fewer problems... but probably appreciated the campaign less.

*That is, it combines low ammo capacity with rapidly disappearing weapons and damage sponge enemies to strongly encourage you to constantly crate up.

Karl2177

Still hate how any biped wielding the sword isn't slowed down by any non-lethal projectile. So Camo Sword Elites can just waltz up to the player, and are just like "Whatever" to Shotgun blasts.

They kept comparing Halo to Star Wars so much they just had to inject that cringe material into the game.

It's styled well enough, but doesn't really play all that well. Lots of actual clutter on visual clutter on stuff, and a camera that doesn't work well for the vertically skinny sections it sometimes throws at you. I've also experienced inexplicable collisions on several occasions, including on my first playthrough when I smashed into an invisible hard wall an instant after getting a checkpoint twice.

Eh, terribly unoriginal. The entire campaign just screams of Star Wars influence.

I would have preferred a Warthog run over it... at least those are fun. (and I understand that levels don't really have to make sense in the grand scheme of things, but the entire trench was jsut ridiculous)

Welp, can't deny all that lol.. and what ever happened to the glorious Warthog run and Falcon?! What a damn shame.

Here Best Buy, let me help you with that -

Still hate how any biped wielding the sword isn't slowed down by any non-lethal projectile. So Camo Sword Elites can just waltz up to the player, and are just like "Whatever" to Shotgun blasts.

I shat bricks during these encounters.

I've beat every Halo game on Legendary, and Cairo Station is the only other time I've had that problem.

My run of Forerunner starts at 1:40:30 or so. Maybe that will help with your approach?

So the guy complaining about how hard the campaign is, gets an AI that lunges at him, and backs away, as he is on falling of the tip vertical drop walking towards him, and punching? Do I need to go into the statistics of this? Even I haven't had something that wild happen to me in the campaign in the 5 or so days I've already spent on the campaign, and when i even tried this glitch in Multiplayer a few months back, it took me about 30 tries to successfully get to fall.

And no, my comments aren't made to make me seem like an arrogant prick. Its just a lot of people on here lack some thought about the game.

...And if we had campaign theater, and he showed me wrong, i would gladly take back everything I said and apologize, because it is possible to fall beneath the level, but it just sounds way to far fetched.

That may be the case, but they sure as fuck come off like that. Like, every time.

And that video was an example. I'm sure there are other areas of broken geometry and other methods to exploit them in this game.

Enough people have had the problem that it's safe to say that Halo 4 is doing something different*. I had it a bit on my first heroic playthrough, and the reason is that I was trying to play the game how I would a previous Halo campaign. By the time I started my legendary playthrough, I had internalized the micro fetch quest nature of things and had far fewer problems... but probably appreciated the campaign less.

*That is, it combines low ammo capacity with rapidly disappearing weapons and damage sponge enemies to strongly encourage you to constantly crate up.

I've countered this point many times since launch, but suffice to say, this game rewards exploration in relation to ammo, and is just less flexible on the wasting of said ammo (make your shit count). There is a deluge of weapons and ammo in H4 campaign. I linked a partial Legendary playthrough above. Maybe I'm remembering wrong?

My bad if they do, I just don't like when people make up hate on a game just because they are upset, rather then legit issues.

i'll try to tone it down a lil c;

That's what I'm saying. I doubt he's making it up. Other people have had it happen and he admitted he might have been mistaken about the weapon, which isn't hard considering all the forerunner crap looks similar at range.

orznge

Banned
My bad if they do, I just don't like when people make up hate on a game just because they are upset, rather then legit issues.

i'll try to tone it down a lil c;

Statistically someone who plays the game may encounter more glitches than others. Having a game glitch out on you frequently is a legit issue and it is perfectly fine to get frustrated about.

Omni

Oh wow, campaign challenges give 40k exp? (first time I've checked in a few days).

Might as well grind through the level.

orznge

Banned
Who are you and what have you done with my orznge!?!?

0dYYD.gif

I just laughed so damn hard. Thanks good sir.

I was kidding! "MerkinMad" as we call him here in HaloGAF was obviously upset at 343 for messing with his precious Halo "formula" so he started slandering them. Shameful...

HTupolev

I've countered this point many times since launch, but suffice to say, this game rewards exploration in relation to ammo, and is just less flexible on the wasting of said ammo (make your shit count). There is a deluge of weapons and ammo in H4 campaign.
The difference is that, in previous Halo campaigns, you can choose to explore for ammunition, or you can totally get away with mixing things up and killing Brute Team #2 with the stuff Brute Team #1 dropped. There's hardly ever any forcing (or near-forcing), unless it's for the occasional really inspiring stuff, like the huge battle at the end of Two Betrayals. And sometimes, in those cases, occasional breathers can even feel good.

The issue isn't the amount of ammo, and I would go as far as to say that you rarely actually have to "make your shit count" as you say. The issue is the distribution. In Halo 4's campaign, I sometimes found myself doing multiple back-and-forths with crates in the boringest of boring moments, for a bit of boring ammo... even if I HAD "made my shit count." It's a flow thing.

Similar to why i dislike AL. I have no opinion as to whether it was actually overpowered or not. I just don't like being forced to only ever use guns while driving a ghost (or else risk randomly dying), or for regular gunplay flow to suddenly drop off a cliff.

That's what I'm saying. I doubt he's making it up. Other people have had it happen and he admitted he might have been mistaken about the weapon, which isn't hard considering all the forerunner crap looks similar at range.
That sounds likely. When everything is a grey long rifle that shoots orange stuff and is situated against other grey and orange stuff.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
but we got rid of the rat..
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m62pgsp0Lv1rztcv6o1_500.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]
That gif is terrifying.

[quote="YourExWife, post: 47160922"][URL="http://www.twitch.tv/yourexwife/b/338524754"]My run of Forerunner starts at 1:40:30 or so.[/URL] Maybe that will help with your approach?[/QUOTE]
Cool, I'll check it out.

Just ran through episode 6 and 7 with a full party and hot motherfuckin damn was that good.

The engine room is my new favorite space. Lots of little skirmish areas, a ton of verticality, with large platforms and aisles laid out like a sniper's dream. Also looks spiffy as hell.

By the end of it rooms were being cleared like a blur. Autosentries went up, regen fields were dropped, rockets were fired, elites were stabbinated, Knights and their watchers were supercombined, and grunts fell by the dozens to mad overkill carbines, battle rifles and DMRs. The generals got sniped in moments and hunters were surrounded and overcome by close range ARs and stickies. By the end of it I'm pretty sure we were all psychically attuned.

Good times.

Karl2177

The difference is that, in previous Halo campaigns, you can choose to explore for ammunition, or you can totally get away with mixing things up and killing Brute Team #2 with the stuff Brute Team #1 dropped. There's hardly ever any forcing (or near-forcing), unless it's for the occasional really inspiring stuff, like the huge battle at the end of Two Betrayals. And sometimes, in those cases, occasional breathers can even feel good.

The issue isn't the amount of ammo, and I would go as far as to say that you rarely actually have to "make your shit count" as you say. The issue is the distribution. In Halo 4's campaign, I sometimes found myself doing multiple back-and-forths with crates in the boringest of boring moments, for a bit of boring ammo... even if I HAD "made my shit count." It's a flow thing.

Similar to why i dislike AL. I have no opinion as to whether it was actually overpowered or not. I just don't like being forced to only ever use guns while driving a ghost (or else risk randomly dying), or for regular gunplay flow to suddenly drop off a cliff.

This is a really good point. It really shows what happens when the weapon despawn rate is universal across all modes.

That sounds likely. When everything is a grey long rifle that shoots orange stuff and is situated against other grey and orange stuff, well...
I understand your point. On anything but Legendary, I'd agree. But I personally like the approach of making Legendary require a little more planning and whatnot. The problem with Halo 4 on Legendary that I had wasn't weapons or which ones I was using or whatever. It was just not that difficult. There were a few places where I had cheap deaths, but rarely anything even remotely difficult.

It is a different "flow" however, so I guess I see what you're saying. But since launch, people have complained on the reg about a literal lack of ammo, which is a point I'll probably never concede.

Omni

Doing the campaign challenges at the moment (Both at the same time, solo). Never noticed how often Knights just walk away allowing you to assassinate them...

Kinda stuck on the part where you need to defend the door though. Bullets don't work and there's too many to assassinate them... egh (Found a Binary rifle. Shot four shots into a Knight and his shields didn't even go down... wut)

HTupolev

But since launch, people have complained on the reg about a literal lack of ammo, which is a point I'll probably never concede.
Intuition is extremely powerful, but it doesn't report results very scientifically to the part of the brain that takes ideas and turns them into GAF posts. The fact that people don't articulate things precisely (or that they assemble claims from a combination of feelings and rather non-exhaustive testing) doesn't necessarily mean that what they're saying doesn't come from somewhere.

You probably shouldn't cede the ammo amount thing, but there's an arguable complaint buried under it.

Intuition is extremely powerful, but it doesn't report results very scientifically to the part of the brain that takes ideas and turns them into GAF posts. The fact that people don't articulate things precisely (or that they assemble claims from a combination of feelings and rather non-exhaustive testing) doesn't necessarily mean that what they're saying doesn't come from somewhere.

You probably shouldn't cede the ammo amount thing, but there's an arguable complaint buried under it.

Yeah, I totally get that. It's when they become so fully convinced of the idea that they don't listen that grinds my gears.

Madness

The only problems I have encountered with the game since launch are the complex window out of map, headless spartan twice, and lag switched twice.

All times I filed complaints with Xbox live.

The lag switches make me mad the most. As if you are going to get away with 60+ kills from start of the match before we can even see anything besides the team screen. A few times people caused grief spawns in spartan Ops where you'd be stuck in map. That's about it for willing players exploiting something.

Not saying others haven't experienced any other issues at all though. There's a few other problems, mostly with global ordnance being wrong, flag being stuck, joining a flood match in progress and having an assault rifle, have had my ghost go flying at mach 3 much like reach etc.

Rev3rb

As I said I would a few weeks ago...

I wrote a quick python script to find out the number of times "rip halo" has been said

Code:
OT 14

JHall: 3
Overdoziz: 2
Tawpgun: 2
Steelyuhas: 2
xxjuicesxx: 2
Gazzawa: 2
Enfinit: 1
senador: 1
Tunavi: 1
TheOddOne: 1
Reagan's BR: 1
Tashi: 1
DeadNames: 1
vadrigar: 1
GrizzNKev: 1
Mayyhem: 1
Barrow Roll: 1
Ramirez: 1
UNKNOWN iXi: 1
Fabalon: 1
kylej: 1
Garrett 2U: 1
EagleBurnn: 1
Dark Orchid: 1
MerkinMax: 1
PsychoRaven: 1

OT 13

Tawpgun: 7
Pop: 4
Deadly Cyclone: 3
Overdoziz: 3
xxjuicesxx: 3
JHall: 3
Gazzawa: 3
Computron: 2
u4iX: 2
Steelyuhas: 2
Ramirez: 2
Karl2177: 2
randomrosso: 1
ThoseDeafMutes: 1
Silly.Mikey: 1
TheOddOne: 1
Wahrer Machine: 1
Dax01: 1
TurkishEmperor$period: 1
Reagan's BR: 1
Tashi: 1
CyReN: 1
DeadNames: 1
Digital Limit: 1
PNut: 1
SPACECADET: 1
Moa: 1
GrizzNKev: 1
bobs...onGaf: 1
Rev3rb: 1
ViewtifulJC: 1
Rickenslacker: 1
Pok3R Fac3D: 1

This also accounts for "rip in peace halo" as well.

Edit: rip Tawpgun

Top Bottom