• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT14| They call it Halo

Omni

I think at this point I should just give up on the challenges... There's no way I can get past these bullet sponges.
img03641j.jpg

Enfinit

Played some BlOps with a few friends for an hour. Consistently went 10-10 or 9-10. Then hopped on to Halo. First game, CTF on Adrift. Went 34-5.

Feelsgoodman.

Havok

I think at this point I should just give up on the challenges... There's no way I can get past these bullet sponges.
I'm confused - why are you trying Infinity when the challenge calls for Reclaimer?

The 10k one is easy enough if you just run through Dawn.

(also, treat Knights like ODST Firefight Brute Chieftains: rush their right hand, they'll melee with their left, and you turn around for the backsmack)

I'm confused - why are you trying Infinity when the challenge calls for Reclaimer?

(also, treat Knights like ODST Brute Chieftains: rush their right hand, they'll melee with the left, and you turn around for the backsmack)

Or Shutdown.

The only particularly difficult thing I remember from Reclaimer was the gauss turret sequence where phantoms keep dropping off ghosts below the Lich. The sniper alley portion was balanced, for once.

Omni

"YOU CAME TO THE WRONG NEIGHBORHOOD MOTHERFUCKER"
:lol

(also, treat Knights like ODST Firefight Brute Chieftains: rush their right hand, they'll melee with their left, and you turn around for the backsmack)

I just noticed that... I'm 90% sure it said Infinity before. Luckily I didn't bother continuing on then! Though I don't think I'm going to even attempt Reclaimer. I had enough trouble with the Mammoth section on Legendary...

and yeah, I noticed that the other day while playing. Not quite as easy, but doable.

FyreWulff

Playing Firefight
in Nintendoland

- stream over-

edit: aiming with the gamepad like a picture frame is taking a bit to wrap my head around

Akai__

Oh shit, PS4 announcement is all but confirmed for Feb. 20.

This doesn't make sense, since Sony stated, that they are awaiting Microsofts move. Why would they say this and then proceed to announce it?

Anyways, I'm happy. Next gen is comming, it doesn't even matter, who makes the 1st move, for me.

Havok

Ladies and gentlemen, returning for Round 4, your February Monthly Challenge:

To the Victor Go the Spoils - 30000 XP
War Games
Win 30 matchmaking War Games matches.

Why is this being repeated again? Four times! It was comical in December, it was even more so in January. Now it's just confusing.

I guess they're serious about upping the payout for challenges. Not long ago there was a weekly that required 45 CTF wins that only paid out 4750 XP.

War Games

Why is this being repeated again? Four times! It was comical in December, it was even more so in January. Now it's just confusing.

I guess they're serious about upping the payout for challenges. Not long ago there was a weekly that required 45 CTF wins that only paid out 4750 XP.

wasn't this last one win 70 for 20000 XP?

whatever. i'm down. give me XP.

*~*~*~p.s. still loving halo 4 :3~*~*~*

Havok

wasn't this last one win 70 for 20000 XP?

whatever. i'm down. give me XP.

*~*~*~p.s. still loving halo 4 :3~*~*~*
The progression has gone like this:

November - 117 wins for 17,343 XP
December and January - 70 wins for 15,000 XP

I'm about at the end of the progression track anyway, so XP doesn't matter to me that much, but seeing the same thing repeated over and over again every month since the game came out when they have the opportunity to introduce some variety is a little strange.

I'm curious what their overall player retention looks like at this point. That the bar for challenge completion has been getting lower and lower while the rewards get higher and higher suggest that not many people are getting the number of wins that they expect, which might be an issue with people not having long play sessions or many of them.

IHaveIce

Banned

War Games

Oh lord..

They really effed up with no scoring in Campaign and Spartan Ops, there could be more challenges for it with Scoring and a Timer etc.

And there are so much possibilities for monthly challenges..

Omni

Send Hologram. Kill Watchers. Send Hologram. Throw Grenades. Shoot Knights 1 by 1. Rinse & Repeat. Winning.

I had 17 rounds for the DMR and one for the railgun at that point. The watchers alone took something like 12 DMR rounds (or two railgun) to kill by themselves.... And grenades are useless. Might as well be throwing popcorn :p

I fear that once I get to the top rank in Halo 4 (130), I'm going to be playing the game a lot less that I am now. 343i probably should have made the ranks go on a bit more. Reach's was cR system was ridiculously high, but 4's is somewhat low. Hopefully they strike a balance in 5 (along with skill ranks of course)

I like exp ranks because it gives a little bit of incentive to keep playing. It shouldn't have replaced skill ranks like it did, but I'd be against removing the system altogether.

broony

Played through the Reclaimer Legendary with skulls challenge online last night with my dad. Was fucking hard but awesome. It still had that feeling from legendary in the previous games where you had to work at your strategies but it still felt fair.

There is some annoyance at weapons disapearing fucking quickly but you can always find something to do the job.

heckfu

Banned
Played through the Reclaimer Legendary with skulls challenge online last night with my dad. Was fucking hard but awesome. It still had that feeling from legendary in the previous games where you had to work at your strategies but it still felt fair.

There is some annoyance at weapons disapearing fucking quickly but you can always find something to do the job.

Reclaimer is one of, if not the absolute best campaign level. Played through with Nutter and Omlet tonight and had a blast.

Also, good games in MM with them and Kittens, Barrow, and Xand. I really, really like this game with friends.

Mace Griffin

Neo Member
I had 17 rounds for the DMR and one for the railgun at that point. The watchers alone took something like 12 DMR rounds (or two railgun) to kill by themselves.... And grenades are useless. Might as well be throwing popcorn :p

I fear that once I get to the top rank in Halo 4 (130), I'm going to be playing the game a lot less that I am now. 343i probably should have made the ranks go on a bit more. Reach's was cR system was ridiculously high, but 4's is somewhat low. Hopefully they strike a balance in 5 (along with skill ranks of course)

I like exp ranks because it gives a little bit of incentive to keep playing. It shouldn't have replaced skill ranks like it did, but I'd be against removing the system altogether.

The only ranking system that would make me want to actually achieve a rank would be a skill centric ranking system, just like 1-50 in Halo 3. A skill based rank carries meaning and is actually enjoyable to achieve or strive toward. For this to work however you need a game with a high learning curve and skill gap which is near non existent in Halo 4.

I personally have no interest in an xp based ranking system. All it signifies is how much someone has played the game, its a non-achievement. You could spend every game running in circles not shooting another player and still reach SR130, only slightly slower than a very good player.

I think an xp based system that runs along side a skill ranking system could be ok if done correctly, again like Halo 3. However it really should be secondary.

I feel this trend toward xp based ranking systems and rewarding players with meaningless xp for taking part is a disease thats ruining multiplayer games.

To think that I no longer play Halo at all because its such a poor multiplayer game compared to H1-3 which were my favourite games is a very sad thought.

The only ranking system that would make me want to actually achieve a rank would be a skill centric ranking system, just like 1-50 in Halo 3. A skill based rank carries meaning and is actually enjoyable to achieve or strive toward. For this to work however you need a game with a high learning curve and skill gap which is near non existent in Halo 4.

Games with a high learning curve and large skill gap really have a hard time catching on in consoles. PC only games seem to fare a bit better (think CS or MOBAs).

Madness

Can't wait for Team Doubles Pro... I think that's the variant that will be the most fun and competitive.

Especially the ones with BR starts. Hopefully the retooled slayer pro follows how it's set up here.

I'd make BR/Magnum load outs, no AA or maybe thruster only. Have resupply as the tac upgrade and no flinch or ammo perk as the support upgrade. Make respawns 5 seconds, no radar, have static ordnance on timers, no personal ordnance.

Some people hate no radar, and I was one of them, until you play. Then you realize just how much the game opens up. You rely on your teammate(s) for callouts, increase your awareness.

Sure for one or two matches you might be hesitant and just try to pick a high ground area and crouch or put your back against the wall, but give it a few matches and you'll see just how offensive you play when you don't have motion trackers telling you where everyone is within 25 meters.

Fuchsdh

Everyone's got to take to the altar of video game disappointment.

Speaking of which, Spec Ops the Line was a huge letdown for me.

Mace Griffin

Neo Member
Games with a high learning curve and large skill gap really have a hard time catching on in consoles. PC only games seem to fare a bit better (think CS or MOBAs).

Halo 3 was much more popular than Halo Reach and Halo 4 and also had a much wider skill gap. I know PC games tend to have much wider skill gaps but I think halo 3 was reasonable, there was a decent skill gap and there was always something to improve upon in terms of individual skill. It was by no means perfect but I think fundamentally it had the right idea and with a few tweaks (movement speed, BR spread, make AR more skilful) could have been even better. Halo 1 and 2 before that were also very popular.

I think the Halo trilogy demonstrates that skilful arena shooters can be very popular on consoles, lets not forget that halo wasn't forced to change, rather when halo did change (dumbed down, class based, COD emulating) it became far less popular.

Halo 4 is just fundamentally flawed, I could never enjoy that game unless it wasn't halo 4. There is so much wrong at a base level, even if you stripped out the gimmicks (AAs, sprint, perks etc) then you have the shooting mechanics which are so dumbed down with the aim assist and bullet magnetism. Probably the reason for slayer pro failing so badly, along with bad maps of course.

Halo 3 was much more popular than Halo Reach and Halo 4 and also had a much wider skill gap. I know PC games tend to have much wider skill gaps but I think halo 3 was reasonable, there was a decent skill gap and there was always something to improve upon in terms of individual skill. It was by no means perfect but I think fundamentally it had the right idea and with a few tweaks (movement speed, BR spread, make AR more skilful) could have been even better. Halo 1 and 2 before that were also very popular.

I think the Halo trilogy demonstrates that skilful arena shooters can be very popular on consoles, lets not forget that halo wasn't forced to change, rather when halo did change (dumbed down, class based, COD emulating) it became far less popular.

Halo 4 is just fundamentally flawed, I could never enjoy that game unless it wasn't halo 4. There is so much wrong at a base level, even if you stripped out the gimmicks (AAs, sprint, perks etc) then you have the shooting mechanics which are so dumbed down with the aim assist and bullet magnetism. Probably the reason for slayer pro failing so badly, along with bad maps of course.

The fact is that at the time of H1/2/3 release, the competition for competent multiplayer shooters on consoles was non existent. Then COD4 came out and the public's taste changed. Now, military shooters are all the rage. Look at the number of media outlets which complained that Halo didn't have ADS.

The market is completely different now compared to when H1/2/3 launched. If a game like Halo 1 style multiplayer launched on consoles today I honestly don't think it would do well commercially.

:lol

I just noticed that... I'm 90% sure it said Infinity before. Luckily I didn't bother continuing on then! Though I don't think I'm going to even attempt Reclaimer. I had enough trouble with the Mammoth section on Legendary...

and yeah, I noticed that the other day while playing. Not quite as easy, but doable.

Infinity wasn't too bad, actually. There are fantastic guides on Youtube. You just have to change your approaches radically from what you're used to in normal gameplay.

Backsmacking Knights is a fantastic (and satisfying) strategy, for one. Suppressor works wonders as well, if you really want to shoot them.

Top Bottom