• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT14| They call it Halo

Overdoziz

Banned
You're not actively harmed in the lead though. To take your Mario kart analogy, Regicide would fit *if* they gave everyone incineration cannons after you took the lead. They don't. There's no blue turtle shell here, just a reduced scoring potential. Remember that you get over shields and damage boosts to compensate however.

The way to win Regicide is simply to play smart; pick off people running at the king and slay him yourself only when at low bonuses or towards the end. Or if you want play for the challenge by racking up an early lead.
Overshield and damage boost does not compensate for this:
1st place: 305 points - 30 kills - 3 assists - 9 deaths - 10.2 points per kill
2nd place: 240 points - 13 kills - 3 assists - 15 deaths - 18.5 points per kill
That's from a match I played. The person in second place nearly got double the amount of points per kill simply because he was playing worse than me. That means that I either need to get double the amount of kills to win barely or I need to stop going for the objective: getting kills. It's a gametype designed around giving bad players a chance and it's unfair, stop trying to defend it.

Overshield and damage boost does not compensate for this:

That's from a match I played. The person in second place nearly got double the amount of points per kill simply because he was playing worse than me. That means that I either need to get double the amount of kills to win barely or I need to stop going for the objective: getting kills. It's a gametype designed around giving bad players a chance and it's unfair, stop trying to defend it.

Post Regicide medals so man cuz posting kills is like posting kills in Juggernaut. Post the scoring medals for that same match please.

So we completed the Campaign challenge, which wasn't that hard with two people. Got 40k credits for that, 30k for Spartan Ops, and 20k for War Games, all in one week. I'm liking how 343 isn't taking this progression system as serious as Bungie did.

m23

So we completed the Campaign challenge, which wasn't that hard with two people. Got 40k credits for that, 30k for Spartan Ops, and 20k for War Games, all in one week. I'm liking how 343 isn't taking this progression system as serious as Bungie did.

The Reclaimer one? I had some fun with it actually, it was pretty tough but we had some laughs. The bump in XP actually motivates me to go for the challenges whereas before I didn't really care.

Tawpgun

I fucking miss Wu.

I thought he was still around.

He never posted much as it was.

Also, sometimes I feel like this thread is on repeat.

4070039531_8b0981df2f.jpg

Dirtbag

HaloGaf hasnt been the same since the best posters all got hired on by bungie/343, EasyB got banned, and the games started taking a nose-dive.
It's been on a downward spiral for a while.

I thought he was still around.

He never posted much as it was.

Also, sometimes I feel like this thread is on repeat.

4070039531_8b0981df2f.jpg

I feel like there's the standard halogaf cycle, then within that cycle there is a cycle of complaints about halo 4 that literally repeats itself.

Fuchsdh

I feel like there's the standard halogaf cycle, then within that cycle there is a cycle of complaints about halo 4 that literally repeats itself.

I personally just find it amazing that we have multiple cycles within the same |OT|. If we went back in this one, how many ranks discussions would we have? I suppose some of it makes sense, yeah there are a lot of people here disappointed, but at some point... saying it repeatedly doesn't make any one feel better.

On Halo-related news, finally got the "Lone Wolf Legend" achievement. Surprisingly the hardlight shield actually serves a lot of use against zealous Crawlers, although I'm not sure it's still useful enough to outweigh spamming the sentry.

Dirtbag

Maybe if the game was worth talking about it'd be different. This is usually when the crazy moments videos are posted and all the crazy ingame screenshots. Instead we just bitch now.

I personally just find it amazing that we have multiple cycles within the same |OT|. If we went back in this one, how many ranks discussions would we have? I suppose some of it makes sense, yeah there are a lot of people here disappointed, but at some point... saying it repeatedly doesn't make any one feel better.

On Halo-related news, finally got the "Lone Wolf Legend" achievement. Surprisingly the hardlight shield actually serves a lot of use against zealous Crawlers, although I'm not sure it's still useful enough to outweigh spamming the sentry.

Well, at least the AR vs Precision start argument has evolved a bit into "BR vs DMR".

So I'm doing a custom 3v3 tournament, (although there has been pressure and an interest in making it 4v4), I wanted to run these settings past you guys, just to see what you think. The remakes I have are some of the best IMO.

o7YyQSo.jpg

Team Laddergoat: Me, Xand and DoctorBanjo.

Team doubles champions featuring Sotto Voce: Myyke, AndyTheBlob and Sotto Voce.

The global settings: No AA's, No Radars, No Personal Ordnance, Initial ordinance is in.

Two loadouts in all ganetypes.

Infinity 1- BR, magnum, 2x frags, resupply, dexterity

Infinity 2- Carbine, magnum, 2x plasma, resupply, dexterity

The maps and the gametype settings.

CTF- 5 flags to score, Flag home to score, 15 minutes, 3 second return, 15 second reset.

Maps are: MLG Pit, Leviathan (H2's colossus), MLG Simplex.

Slayer- 50 points, 12 minutes

Maps are: MLG Sanctuary, Haven

KOTH- first to 600, 50 second hill time, progressive hills.

Maps are: Construct (Can anyone show me or tell me the weapon layout for the MLG version of this, please?)

Oddball- First to 350, static spawn, auto pickup disabled.

Maps are: Turf, one of the most beautiful forge maps I've seen, the lighting is really striking.

Two of the above maps will be removed once 343 release the Majestic maps pack. This game needs more small maps.

What do you think? Any thing I should try out?

IHaveIce

Banned
Flag at home to score, Elzar?

I think I will try to talk to Semmy if he is interested, but we never get a cool teamname now that Laddergoat is already gone :(

Talents

Banned
Maps are: Construct (Can anyone show me or tell me the weapon layout for the MLG version of this, please?)

Sniper is located below sword room.

Rocket Launcher is where Sniper would be in a normal match.

Plasma pistol is in sword room.

Custom powerup varies, in a KOTH game custom will be a 2x Overshield located where the missile pod is in a normal Construct game. In a slayer MLG match the custom is Invisibility and is located at Bottom Gold lift.

Respawn times here:

http://www.vvv-gaming.com/forum/topic/42894-mlg-halo-3-v8-weapon-spawn/

Also the custom first spawns after 120 seconds of the match start.

EDIT:

For the standard weapons (e.g. carbine/BR) they spawn at the following places:

2 Plasma grenades at Top gold.

2 Plasma grenades where each of the explosive barrels are at bottom gold.

1 Carbine and 2 frag grenades where Spartan Laser would spawn in a normal match.

1 Carbine resting next to where the explosive barrels are at Top gold. Another carbine also down Closed street.

1 BR at Middle gold next to the ramp that takes you to Open street.

1 Carbine in Open Purple/Closed purple as well as 1 BR.

Sorry if you didn't understand the callouts, didn't know how else to put it.

Plasma nade spawning would be annoying, maybe make it a pickup? Or do you have it there to increase usage of the Carbine? Also, for CTF, maybe it's just me but 3 seconds seems short for some of those maps, maybe 5 seconds instead?

Yeah, I'll experiment between 3 and 5, returning the flag in H4 seems finicky to me, like you have to be right on the pole.

Sniper is located below sword room.

Rocket Launcher is where Sniper would be in a normal match.

Plasma pistol is in sword room.

Custom powerup varies, in a KOTH game custom will be a 2x Overshield located where the missile pod is in a normal Construct game. In a slayer MLG match the custom is Invisibility and is located at Bottom Gold lift.

Respawn times here:

http://www.vvv-gaming.com/forum/topic/42894-mlg-halo-3-v8-weapon-spawn/

Also the custom first spawns after 120 seconds of the match start.

Thanks!

Gui_PT

Ouch. Hey now, my ex girlfriend had to hear about my gaming habits for like two years! Oh yeah...that may be a contributing factor to the ex thing. Shit.

Yeah may be

You mean work on having kids so they can get all the achievements. Maybe I should make a new account to get the soon-to-be extinct Halo 2 multiplayer achievements.

Yes that is exactly what I meant with the words I used to form the sentence about you being a virgin.

Madness

So I'm doing a custom 3v3 tournament, (although there has been pressure and an interest in making it 4v4), I wanted to run these settings past you guys, just to see what you think. The remakes I have are some of the best IMO.

o7YyQSo.jpg

Team Laddergoat: Me, Xand and DoctorBanjo.

Team doubles champions featuring Sotto Voce: Myyke, AndyTheBlob and Sotto Voce.

The global settings: No AA's, No Radars, No Personal Ordnance, Initial ordinance is in.

Two loadouts in all ganetypes.

Infinity 1- BR, magnum, 2x frags, resupply, dexterity

Infinity 2- Carbine, magnum, 2x plasma, resupply, dexterity

CTF- 5 flags to score, Flag home to score, 15 minutes, 3 second return, 15 second reset.

KOTH- first to 600, 50 second hill time, progressive hills.

Oddball- First to 350, static spawn, auto pickup disabled.

Maps are: Turf, one of the most beautiful forge maps I've seen, the lighting is really striking.

Two of the above maps will be removed once 343 release the Majestic maps pack. This game needs more small maps.

What do you think? Any thing I should try out?

Dexterity switched out for Stability? Would remove he randomness of flinch? Both would help the Carbine a lot though. Once I got stability, nothing beats steady reticule.

Dexterity switched out for Stability? Would remove he randomness of flinch? Both would help the Carbine a lot though. Once I got stability, nothing beats steady reticule.

Stability can't be added as a pre made game loadout, only as a personal loadout.

And I can't trust some (all of them) of the scumbags in this tournament to uphold honour rules.

Madness

Stability can't be added as a pre made game loadout, only as a personal loadout.

And I can't trust some (all of them) of the scumbags in this tournament to uphold honour rules.

Ah my mistake. Is this just a tournament between friends or something large you are setting up?

I'm so glad 343 got rid of all the gray in Forge

Erosion has the worst forge palette ever, what the hell were they thinking?!

Got any gameplay vids available?

Nope. Sorry.

Ah my mistake. Is this just a tournament between friends or something large you are setting up?

Between friends.

1st place gets 20,000€ Elzar is generous.

They get to give me a massage. I am generous.

NOKYARD

Grab Haven from my file share, GT - runNOKYARDrun.

It was setup specifically for 2v2 competitive. Perfectly symmetrical spawns, no random anything, standard weapons on map (30 sec team BR, central Light Rifle & Carbine, 60 sec Needler, no DMR on map in case you wanted to play BR only), grenades are paired with matching weapons, limited ordnance drops (Sticky Det, Railgun, Speed Boost) are on static and 120 second pickup timers. Lifts added to drop downs to aide movement.

Set the Random Ordnance timer in the Sayer settings to 120/120 so it acts like a static timer. Setup for 2v2 CTF as well.

Grab Haven from my file share, GT - runNOKYARDrun.

It was setup specifically for 2v2 competitive. Perfectly symmetrical spawns, no random anything, standard weapons on map (30 sec BR, Light Rifle, Carbine, 60 sec Needler), limited ordnance drops (Sticky Det, Railgun, Speed Boost) are on static and 120 second pickup timers. Lifts added to drop downs to aide movement.

Set the Random Ordnance timer in the Sayer settings to 120/120 so it acts like a static timer. Setup for 2v2 CTF as well.

Cool, will do when I get back to the box. Thanks.

Top Bottom