• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT14| They call it Halo

FyreWulff

Don't know I never felt in any part of the games like a badass Spartan like they are described in the books. I don't think a Spartan would be that slow. Inertia sucks :(

neither in Multiplayer or Campaign.

The Spartans will never play like they're described in the books because the Spartans in the books are an unplayable character. A character that's supposed to be able to run at up to 40 miles per hour would require maps to be stretched out to Boneyard sizes just for 4v4.

I dont really wanna feel like a dude in a game, I just want to play the game. Shaking screens is annoying, blood on screens is annoying, red helmet shot effects are annoying, visor hud effects are annoying, flashing bright colors is annoying, recharge static is annoying.

Just let me shoot the enemy til they are dead.

J10

Banned
I thought Halo 2 cheated in widescreen by stretching the middle of the screen rather than actually showing more stuff. Or was it a little of both?

Also, if they really wanted players to feel like bad-ass Spartans the gameplay would be more like Vanquish or something. They need to stop pretending Halo is anything but a plodding first person shooter when they talk about making players feel like a bad-ass spartan.

CyReN

This what you are talking about?

MvSnS.gif

Yes.

IHaveIce

Banned
The Spartans will never play like they're described in the books because the Spartans in the books are an unplayable character. A character that's supposed to be able to run at up to 40 miles per hour would require maps to be stretched out to Boneyard sizes just for 4v4.

Yep, but I also don't want it that way..at least not in MP

@MLG.. sad to see..can't believe they take COD, I also wouldn't take Halo 4..but COD? lol.

Don't know I never felt in any part of the games like a badass Spartan like they are described in the books. I don't think a Spartan would be that slow. Inertia sucks :(

neither in Multiplayer or Campaign.

I think they could have done some base trait changes like faster strafe acceleration, dexterity and mobility being standard as well as sprint standard and perhaps a throwback to BXR (controversial I know) for melee combat. To me whenever I use strafe when I'm a shot down and win a DMR/BR 1v1, dexterity, mobility or sprint I feel more Spartan-book like. Sure you can never be the exact Spartan in books but they can introduce the gameplay speed and efficiency of Spartans more.

343i you wanted to make bigger maps, you wanted to get players back into the action faster and make them feel like a Spartan/tank? Update the base traits as I listed and all of a sudden your game plays fast, solo players can tackle multiple enemies, sprint unlimited to get across you huge ass maps etc.

Then you could have layered the AA's, tactical & support around varying levels of that for some playlists and disabled them for more classic playlists. To me that would have given the series that faster more visceral feel while enabling the latest FPS features and also updating the core mechanics for the classic playlists simultaneously.

I'm truly sorry to hear that, hopefully some of the other organisations can step up and provide the pro/MLG community the support they deserve.

I dont really wanna feel like a dude in a game, I just want to play the game. Shaking screens is annoying, blood on screens is annoying, red helmet shot effects are annoying, visor hud effects are annoying, flashing bright colors is annoying, recharge static is annoying.

Just let me shoot the enemy til they are dead.

I agree with flashing colours and blood covered HUD etc but recharge static is an important game feature to me, you know exactly when to head back into the fight.
Online latency aside, do you know how many times my screen has me at recharged shields only for the host to let me get one shot when I step back into the fight, so fucking annoying. Why isn't shield recharge like hitscan mechanics?

FyreWulff

Yep, but I also don't want it that way..at least not in MP

@MLG.. sad to see..can't believe they take COD, I also wouldn't take Halo 4..but COD? lol.

What else is there? I honestly cannot think of another current gen FPS to choose from.

I really want to see 343 respond to this.

IHaveIce

Banned
What else is there? I honestly cannot think of another current gen FPS to choose from.

I really want to see 343 respond to this.

There is none.
Right now I don't know any good FPS with a healthy fanbase and is competive.. I don't know I really hate watching competive COD ..

There is none.
Right now I don't know any good FPS with a healthy fanbase and is competive.. I don't know I really hate watching competive COD ..

There really isn't. There used to be Unreal, Quake, and Counterstrike...Halo 3 may have been the last non class based competitive shooter.

Dat COD money.

MS has more money but they would rather spend theirs outsourcing parts of the game and on this virgin games tournament.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
MLG dropped Halo in the past. Nothing new. Support AGL and other events!

Just recorded HaloGAF Episode 11. It's amazing.

IHaveIce

Banned
There really isn't. There used to be Unreal, Quake, and Counterstrike...Halo 3 may have been the last non class based competitive shooter.
God how I miss those kind of games.

Why wouldnt they pick CoD? its the most competitive console shooter available right now!

Like I said, I don't like it competively and it never seemed to me more balanced or anything.

In short: I want Arena Shooters back..

Eisodos Zao

Neo Member
This what you are talking about?

MvSnS.gif

How to snipe in CoD:

1. Turn on Xbox.
2. Insert CoD (doesn't matter which one, though the fishy ones tend to make xboxes work badly)
3. Select "Multiplayer" and start searching for a match (doesn't matter what playlist)
4. Once in a match, select a loadout with a sniper rifle in it (doesn't matter which one)
5. Aim in a direction. One with an enemy player is preferred, but thanks to lag comp, not necessary.
6. Pull trigger.

Congrats, you've gotten your first 1080 no scope Natty Ice!

tl;dr CoD isn't competitive and BlOps2 doesn't belong on any circuit ever.

Duji

They could fine tune it for some other people, but I prefer movement to have inertia. It makes sense from a mechanical standpoint and helps to prevent "floating gun" movement syndrome that some games suffer from, because it lends weight to your movement and makes you feel like you're actually controlling a Spartan inside the playspace.

Inertia punishes players with quick reaction times. Can it for multiplayer.

And what is this "floating gun" syndrome?

How long have you been a member of NeoGAF? How long have you lurked?

A day. Lurked since |OT| 13. It took 3 months and 10 days for my account to be approved.

How old are you? What country or state are you posting from? (Optional)

I'm 16 years old. I live in Utah, United States of America.

How long have you been a Halo fan? Have you played all the games?

Halo fan or Halo player? I've played Halo since Halo 2. Not my consoles, not my house, not my game, but I played it. I only really became a Halo fan with Halo 3. Yes I have played every Halo game.

What mode do you spend most of your time in?

Multiplayer by far.

What is your favorite playlist?

In Reach my favorite game mode was Invasion or Action Sack. In Halo 4 my favorite game mode is non of them :p. I don't like any of them. I guess Oddball is the most fun to play though.

In Halo 3 my favorite game mode was Team Slayer/Social Slayer.

Help us get to know you better. (Optional)

I hate Halo 4 and I hated Halo:Reach. I'm a pretty competitive gamer but not really competitive to the point where I do GameBattles and such. Halo is (was?) my favorite game franchise and I'm extremely disappointed with 343 and Halo 4. I think I'm pretty good at Halo, and I also really love Forza.

MS should have never forced Bungie to milk Halo. I am sure they still would have been with them if they would just let them make something else and then go back to Halo.

Medal of Honor

*vomits*

It's a no brainer for MLG to choose CoD over Halo. I'm not going to watch it, but Blops2 has 6100 viewers on twitch vs Halo 4 which has 1900. Not to mention it seems treyarch is trying REALLY hard to make this game competitive with their league play, awesome theater mode, spectator mode, and constant updates to balance the sandbox.

God how I miss those kind of games.

Like I said, I don't like it competively and it never seemed to me more balanced or anything.

In short: I want Arena Shooters back..

Its very competitive at high levels, its actually really fast, like the player movement. People want it lowered to a level of previous CoD's.

Anyways it requires really precise aim, if you dont get the kill quick you are dead.

That tournament that got like 16K users at one point was ridiculous, went down to the wire of the last game possible. Was insane. Made for great viewing.

How long have you been a member of NeoGAF? How long have you lurked?

A day. Lurked since |OT| 14. It took 3 months and 10 days for my account to be approved.

How old are you? What country or state are you posting from? (Optional)

I'm 16 years old. I live in Utah, United States of America.

How long have you been a Halo fan? Have you played all the games?

Halo fan or Halo player? I've played Halo since Halo 2. Not my consoles, not my house, not my game, but I played it. I only really became a Halo fan with Halo 3. Yes I have played every Halo game.

What mode do you spend most of your time in?

Multiplayer by far.

What is your favorite playlist?

In Reach my favorite game mode was Invasion or Action Sack. In Halo 4 my favorite game mode is non of them :p. I don't like any of them. I guess Oddball is the most fun to play though.

In Halo 3 my favorite game mode was Team Slayer/Social Slayer.

Help us get to know you better. (Optional)

I hate Halo 4 and I hated Halo:Reach. I'm a pretty competitive gamer but not really competitive to the point where I do GameBattles and such. Halo is (was?) my favorite game franchise and I'm extremely disappointed with 343 and Halo 4. I think I'm pretty good at Halo, and I also really love Forza.

Welcome to
Reach
Halo 4. You picked a hell of a time to join up.

Eisodos Zao

Neo Member
Yes it does, it has dev support, full on spectator mode, viewerbase, and companies behind it. Those are huge factors for game.

But it is not, and never will be, fun to watch. Spectator mode is cool, it really is, but put all the tin foil on a shit you want, it's still shit. I've watched both Halo 4 and BloOps 2, and Halo 4, with all of its faults, is still more entertaining to watch.

CyReN

But it sucks... I have played every COD and BlOps 2 is horrible.

But it is not, and never will be, fun to watch. Spectator mode is cool, it really is, but put all the tin foil on a shit you want, it's still shit. I've watched both Halo 4 and BloOps 2, and Halo 4, with all of its faults, is still more entertaining to watch.

That comes down to personal preference.

For me at least it's CoD4 > Bo2 > MW2 > BO > MW3

Biggy
Barlow Roll
Heckfu

When its coming out.

Fotos

Its very competitive at high levels, its actually really fast, like the player movement. People want it lowered to a level of previous CoD's.

Anyways it requires really precise aim, if you dont get the kill quick you are dead.

That tournament that got like 16K users at one point was ridiculous, went down to the wire of the last game possible. Was insane. Made for great viewing.

Bullshit

So I litterally just got accepted into neogaf about an hour ago, and I just wanted to drop in and say "hi I'm TheOhrenberger." I signed up about half a year ago and after a long wait period I'm excited about chatting it up with one of the most active Halo communities on the internet! So sorry if this is a little off topic, but I just wanted to introduce myself.

willow ve

Well then theres lots of money to be made out there winning CoD tournaments, go!

CoD at the competitive level is fierce as hell, they are as practiced and seasoned as the most serious Halo teams.

And the game is even more about twitch reflexes (moreso when played on LAN than on Live). So good luck to everyone.

---

Whatever happened to the idea of having juniors post a GIF that represented themselves? I liked that idea.

So I litterally just got accepted into neogaf about an hour ago, and I just wanted to drop in and say "hi I'm TheOhrenberger." I signed up about half a year ago and after a long wait period I'm excited about chatting it up with one of the most active Halo communities on the internet! So sorry if this is a little off topic, but I just wanted to introduce myself.

Hi. I'm YourExWife.

Fotos

Well then theres lots of money to be made out there winning CoD tournaments, go!

CoD at the competitive level is fierce as hell, they are as practiced and seasoned as the most serious Halo teams.

It's easy to do good in COD. Thats why I like Halo. It takes skill and time to get good. I just don't find Black Ops 2 entertaining.

CyReN

It's easy to do good in COD. Thats why I like Halo. It takes skill and time to get good. I just don't find Black Ops 2 entertaining.

You are talking about pub matches, anyone can go into Big Team Battle and do good, to do it in the competitive playlist (when it was ranked) or tourney play is different. Try out their League play and if you get Masters I'll shut up.

Lol Halo...skill.

Yea. They both require some skill. Otherwise you'd be winning tourneys. Hint: You aren't and never will win one.

Top Bottom