• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT3| Remember Reach?

Fuchsdh

Sure, when the original three Star Wars movies came out geeks thought Vader was cool and kids were afraid of him, but nobody was really invested in his character arc until RotJ and even then people only cared because the hero's success depended on Vader turning away from the Dark Side (spoiler alert).

Hell even when they showed us Vader without his mask on (in the prequels) it was a total clusterfuck because the audience had a laundry list of preconceived notions of who Vader should be/what he should look like and that list was different for each audience member. Adapting a non-film/TV franchise to the big screen is hard enough, doing it with a main character who says about six different things every three years and never emotes is practically impossible.

I'm not trying to say that you can't make interesting characters without showing their faces, I'm saying it's very hard to get an audience to sympathize/identify with a faceless character. In 2012, if you want to make a blockbuster sci-fi action extravaganza you either need to be named James Cameron or Ridley Scott OR you need a recognizable and marketable ID figure. If Halo 4 smashes sales records that's a guarantee that there will be a Halo film at some point, it's just going to be hard as hell for 343 and their studio partner to make it both financially and creatively successful.

Not saying I'm the greatest writer here, but I think it wouldn't be too hard to make a Halo film trilogy and make it interesting and get people invested in the Chief. The issue with translating the games would be that you can't focus on the Chief's external action--you need people for him to interact with.

I think the guys at Ascendant Justice did an admirable first draft of a potential movie, but disregarding that they were absolutely right that it makes no sense to make the movie The Fall of Reach. It's Combat Evolved first all the way (although I'm not sure how you would handle the 2-3 transition. Would people be more accepting of a cliffhanger in the movies? I really don't know why it gets so much flak when people swoon over the Empire Strikes Back.)

On your point, I think the failure of Anakin and Vader as a character is there was a massive disconnect between them. The prequels were just horribly written and to a less degree poorly acted. Instead of being a consistent and subtle fall to the dark side Anakin just did a massive belly flop in the third movie.

I only speak American.

Approved.

Those were fantastic games of Double Team. The Dream Team is here!

Wow, throwing the steak dream team under the bus!!!

Just played Call of Duty 4's multiplayer for the first time. More fun that I thought it'd be.

COD 4 has its annoyances, but on the whole, it's good stuff.

Finally remembered to put Game of Thrones on my Netflix queue, thanks for the reminder. Book 1 down, started book 2 last night.
I can tell from the .gifs alone they nailed his character. :lol
I don't, sadly. I'm upping the number of discs I can get from Netflix for a month to speed them along, though.

Of the things that the TV series does well, it all started with brilliant casting. With the arguable rare exception, the casting of characters was nothing short of incredible.

Sean Bean and Peter Dinklage were cast members that the EP's said they wouldn't have done the show without and they don't disappoint. There are also characters that will jump off the screen in ways that they didn't in the books, mostly thanks to great performances (Robert, Viserys, and Robb Stark are prime examples).

ElRenoRaven

Jen Taylor confirmed. I'll back that up later.

I'm at Supanova (a convention in Australia) and I was talking briefly with Joey Heyman and Marshall Rimmer. Joel has played Halo 4!

Was there honestly ever any doubt? 343 would have been stupid not to keep her and Steve Downes for their roles.

Sure, when the original three Star Wars movies came out geeks thought Vader was cool and kids were afraid of him, but nobody was really invested in his character arc until RotJ and even then people only cared because the hero's success depended on Vader turning away from the Dark Side (spoiler alert).

Hell even when they showed us Vader without his mask on (in the prequels) it was a total clusterfuck because the audience had a laundry list of preconceived notions of who Vader should be/what he should look like and that list was different for each audience member. Adapting a non-film/TV franchise to the big screen is hard enough, doing it with a main character who says about six different things every three years and never emotes is practically impossible.
lol Come on. I really don't think seeing Vader without his mask on was what did the prequels in.

And a film would of course have to expand the character of the Chief, but it seems like 343 is doing that with Halo 4 already. There's always the route Neill Blomkamp was planning on going too, of course: Not having the Chief be the main character. I'm not sure that's what I'd want to see, however.

I think the guys at Ascendant Justice did an admirable first draft of a potential movie, but disregarding that they were absolutely right that it makes no sense to make the movie The Fall of Reach. It's Combat Evolved first all the way
Ideally, somehow combining the two would be pretty great.
(although I'm not sure how you would handle the 2-3 transition. Would people be more accepting of a cliffhanger in the movies? I really don't know why it gets so much flak when people swoon over the Empire Strikes Back.)
Having a pretty terrible boss fight and not finishing the game playing as the Chief is what made 2's cliffhanger so hated, I think.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Here's a great article on the troubled history of the Halo movie: http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/1273570/whatever_happened_to_the_halo_movie.html

And I really don't think it'd be that hard to make a movie where the main character doesn't show his face. While not an apples to apples comparison, Darth Vader being one of the most iconic characters in cinema shows it can be done.

There's a lot of guff in that story, but I am amused that they used a quote from an interview with a transmedia biz guy, asking about transmedia biz to make me seem like a bean counter. The French Cryptum quote was a local PR firm finding out false information from lord knows what website.

There's a lot of guff in that story, but I am amused that they used a quote from an interview with a transmedia biz guy, asking about transmedia biz to make me seem like a bean counter. The French Cryptum quote was a local PR firm finding out false information from lord knows what website.

So.... the movie hasn't been canned?

Kotakuuuuuuuuuuuu!

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
How many sleeps till that multiplayer podcast?
Also when are we getting 15 minutes of raw team slayer footage?
Ooooh baby I like it rawwww. Yea baby I like it rawwwwwwww

You know, with every "reveal" for Halo 4, the internet has run away with ideas of what the game is. Call of Duty: Halo 4 lollerz. A couple full gameplays would really show everyone exactly what the game will be like.

ElRenoRaven

So.... the movie hasn't been canned?

Kotakuuuuuuuuuuuu!

Might as well be. We'll probably see the World of Warcraft movie before we see the Halo Movie. :(

It shouldn't be hard. Just stunt guy in suit with Downes doing the voice and a CG Cortana with Jen doing her voice. The rest I could live with having different voices.

Played for a bit, reminded why I don't really play much anymore. Probably won't even see me on for months at a time again, especially since I'm moving in May.

Fuchsdh

Might as well be. We'll probably see the World of Warcraft movie before we see the Halo Movie. :(

It shouldn't be hard. Just stunt guy in suit with Downes doing the voice and a CG Cortana with Jen doing her voice. The rest I could live with having different voices.

Yeah I think keeping their voices would be great... and hell, Arby and Spark can also be voiced by their respective actors.

And you could get Perlman to play the live-action version of Hood! Synergy!

lol Come on. I really don't think seeing Vader without his mask on was what did the prequels in.
Yes, the dialogue was terrible in the prequels and yes, the performances were terrible too, but that's also true of the original trilogy and those movies remain popular. When filmmakers are banking on the image of an iconic character to sell a movie to the public they generally try to meet the public's expectations for that character. When they don't do that the movie usually fails.

Cognitive dissonance is a big problem with movie-goers, that's why you don't often see the romantic lead of a mass-market movie kill someone's dog. The reverse is also true: as soon as you show the Universe's #1 evil badass doing something that is not badass (like yelling "yippppeeee" in Phantom Menace or "Noooooooooo!" when he finds out his special lady is kaput at the end of whateverthefuck the third one was called) you screw up the audience's entire understanding of the character and you increase the degree of difficulty for the successful execution of that character's arc to almost unreachable degrees.

Turning the Chief into a big screen hero is no small task, but in order for a studio to pony up the money for a feature, you've gotta have the Chief front and center as the hero in the script--AT THE SAME TIME--you have to tell a compelling human story that keeps people interested in the hero's plight. Reconciling those two challenges is not easy to do and as a fan I'm very wary of any Halo movie that comes out that features Master Chief involved in one of the stories we've already played in a game.

Not saying I'm the greatest writer here, but I think it wouldn't be too hard to make a Halo film trilogy and make it interesting and get people invested in the Chief. The issue with translating the games would be that you can't focus on the Chief's external action--you need people for him to interact with.

An easy way to do this is through Cortana. Since Cortana has an insider's knowledge to John's vital signs, she could interact with John in a more familiar way than John could with the audience.

Example:

John is standing at the top of a hill overlooking a vast field. Nothing is discernible to the audience's eyes, but something about John alerts Cortana.

"What is it, Chief?"

Halo is in a convenient fiction nook where there's a character that can relay the protagonist's thoughts in a third-person manner that doesn't break the fourth wall.

Wow, throwing the steak dream team under the bus!!!

Never Forget.

ElRenoRaven

Yeah I think keeping their voices would be great... and hell, Arby and Spark can also be voiced by their respective actors.

And you could get Perlman to play the live-action version of Hood! Synergy!

Exactly. Also if I remember the gentleman who does Johnson's voice looked like he could pull off a good live action Johnson.

gif3bqadk.gif

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
When we finally get some significant, sustained multiplayer footage I will flip my shit. So much shit will be flipped.

The right leg crossing over. So good! I often get sucked into watching the same point in that gif for far too long before watching some other part.

The right leg crossing over. So good! I often get sucked into watching the same point in that gif for far too long before watching some other part.

Yeah, looks like the model is a hybrid of two animations: the legs are mo-capped off someone going 100% movement and the torso is mo-capped off someone who is going 100% steady aiming, which is exactly how Spartans should be able to act.

I just love everything about the Spartans in Halo 4. I love the way they move, I love the lighter colors for Red/Blue, I love the metallic blacks peaking through the armor. I can't wait to customize my Spartan with pink stripes and matching pink BR.

Weapon skins for starter weapons, it's gonna be there

God, every time I see that BRsexiness.gif I get shivers down my spine. I still have faith, 343. The initial news hit for those changes greatly frightened me, but since I have calmed down and started to trust in you!

Every time I see that gif, I don't even give a damn about the changes. They got the BR, they got the movement speed, they got sexy spartans, they got the shield bar that moves in one direction with no health packs to worry about. I think I can handle whatever other BS 343 throws at me

daedalius

Every time I see that gif, I don't even give a damn about the changes. They got the BR, they got the movement speed, they got sexy spartans, they got the shield bar that moves in one direction with no health packs to worry about. I think I can handle whatever other BS 343 throws at me

Pretty much this for me too.

feel

Always bugs me seeing the Spartan floating after he dies in that gif. We need new BR footage to get a new gif to fap over, without such imperfections. Pretty sad that the big gameplay reveal we waited 6 months for was just this gif and 2 or 3 other quick glimpses of someone sprinting and meleeing like in Reach.

Top Bottom