• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT6| I will not allow you to leave this thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
OddballGaf is in full force tonight. Bitches ain't got nothing on us...

KBI7c.png

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
I definitely think there's a place for that argument, and that's what I was trying to get across in the post that I linked. But the thing is, I think that system works best when you're using it to promote B-tier maps, not C- and D-tier maps. There isn't any amount of play that will get me to appreciate Isolation or Gemini or non-Invasion Boneyard. I'd maintain that in order for frustration not to set in, you have to have a minimum quality bar that bottoms out at maps that are "pretty good." That's where I'd set stuff like Colossus, which in a voting system, I'd never take over something like Midship. At the same time, having a million gametypes in a playlist, like what Objective currently is with its Stockpile/Headhunter/Flag Slayer high-weighted variant grab bag, would mean that you could see a situation where you're not getting to play any of the 'core' gametypes for several matches if you're unlucky. It seems like it just requires a better handle on what is important to playlists than we've seen in recent games in the series. If at Halo 3 launch, I hadn't been able to vote away from One Sided VIP which showed up every other game, it might have turned me off from trying that playlist ever again.

Well in the big swing of things, the quality of the map does tend to be a bit subjective... Especially considering people's talents. Unless it's something everyone can agree on. Or do what Starcraft 2 does... Out of all maps, choose x which you do not want to play on (party leader)

Maybe going into an objective playlist... One should choose 3 core types they want to play or "anything goes" when they enter matchmaking, this way people somewhat get a choice, but not completely.

If you're in a party... Well uh... Force the playlist. Or then allow voting. I feel if you're in ranked play, choice should be secondary because somehow ending up with a map and playlist that say 60% of the people want isn't doing much favor to the other 40%, especially when you are then allowing favorable conditions to some players and not others.

Allowing people to define the granularity of the search ultimately damages playlists, voting on map/game type together is one thing... Map and game type separately is another. We already see how damaging voting can be. Quite a step back from veto and a massive step back from halo 2.

Sure I don't like some map and game type combinations but I'd rather have some variety over my preference.

Population on the game servers probably wouldn't survive people having too much choice. You'd then have too many people stacking on one thing vs another which isn't entirely fair to people who do want to play those things. It's not fair to developers to design something that does play wonderfully but people never want to leave their comfort zone.

Right now it's just incredibly meh. I don't even know what some game types even are on the vote screen in reach because everyone always votes against them. So there is maps I've never played, and game types I'll likely never see thanks in part to voting. Yay.

Voting is just stupid in general

OT: Just saw TDKR - a short review with no spoilers (tagged for those that don't want expectations going in).
Not as good as the The Dark Knight - lots of pacing issues, super cheesy moments, and wait, what? leaps of logic, but still pretty enjoyable.

FyreWulff

Yeah, sorry for leaving earlier but I had said that was my last game and it lagged so hard it pretty much went from the postgame right back to voting.

Reach's matchmaking and networking has just been awful the last month or two.

Seconded. It's so rare for me to play on a host that's not local and have more than 60% of my shots count thanks to latency and the host always choosing a far away host. Tonight was just especially terrible.

Krispy

So I'm having to move out of my house for 5 weeks while it gets repaired. I wont be able to play Halo. Is anyone willing to take my spot in the tourney? Preferably a Tier 1 for balance reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom