• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT9| One Final Effort Is All That Remains

Like me.
Although we're not really building much in the USA right now - which is why I'm designing drawing car dealerships now as a freelance architect

Ok, design a competitive playlist with fair, balanced settings, but also uses as many new features of the game as possible, and is appealing to a ridiculously diverse set of skillsets and tastes, and is still fun so as to not cause countless bitchfests. Go!

--

I think you are confusing the word architect with PhD candidate in the psychology of video gaming...

Ah yes, the obligatory, pedantic lecture on architecture (and semantics) incoming... ;)

willow ve

Ok, design a competitive playlist with fair, balanced settings, but also uses as many new features of the game as possible, and is appealing to a ridiculously diverse set of skillsets and tastes, and is still fun so as to not cause countless bitchfests. Go!
I think you are confusing the word architect with PhD candidate in the psychology of video gaming...

No pedantic lecture here. I prescribe more to the megalomaniac side of architecture whereby I think I can design anything at any time just because I'm an architect.

eeblogue

Neo Member

No sprint, no radar, up the base speed by 10-20% and remove all the Infinity Slayer shenanigans.

I’m ok with letting people choose between a BR, DMR or a Carbine as a starting weapon but that is where the customisation of loadouts should end for the competitive playlist. If any of the Armour Abilities are viable they should be placed on the maps as pick-ups like they were in Reach. And the only way I’d be fine with the competitive rule set using modifications is if everyone starts with the same one because it somehow improves the gameplay – I’m thinking the faster shield regen might help.

willow ve

No sprint, no radar, up the base speed by 10-20% and remove all the Infinity Slayer shenanigans.

I’m ok with letting people choose between a BR, DMR or a Carbine as a starting weapon but that is where the customisation of loadouts should end for the competitive playlist. If any of the Armour Abilities are viable they should be placed on the maps as pick-ups like they were in Reach. And the only way I’d be fine with the competitive rule set using modifications is if everyone starts with the same one because it somehow improves the gameplay – I’m thinking the faster shield regen might help.
I think this is a bit short sighted. A good competitive list would stay as close to vanilla physics and base player traits as possible if the aim is to be popular. In my opinion they should seek to differentiate through tweaked maps or standardized loadouts instead of arbitrarily trying to make the game faster or different just for the sake of being faster or different.

And it would be fun to see some MLG kids like Pistola choose a plasma pistol loadout midway through a match just to troll the other team for a few kills.

BigShow36

I think this is a bit short sighted. A good competitive list would stay as close to vanilla physics and base player traits as possible if the aim is to be popular. In my opinion they should seek to differentiate through tweaked maps or standardized loadouts instead of arbitrarily trying to make the game faster or different just for the sake of being faster or different.

And it would be fun to see some MLG kids like Pistola choose a plasma pistol loadout midway through a match just to troll the other team for a few kills.

If the base traits aren't as competitively viable as they could be, why should a competitive playlist keep them? You can't say "make it as competitive as possible but also keep all this casual garbage in there too."

If increasing the base movement speed helps the strafe, or at the very least doesn't ruin strafing, that would be my first starting point.

If the base traits aren't as competitively viable as they could be, why should a competitive playlist keep them? You can't say "make it as competitive as possible but also keep all this casual garbage in there too."

If increasing the base movement speed helps the strafe, or at the very least doesn't ruin strafing, that would be my first starting point.

Based on what metric? What does that even mean?

Honestly, I think this mindset is part of why Reach failed competitively. Stripping everything out to make the game line-up with some romanticized, god-tier vision of a Halo gone by just makes the game unappealing to people - "casual" or not. Embrace the new mechanics, or lose. If they REALLY can't function competitively, then sure, take them out, but come on, at least keep an open mind.

willow ve

Honestly, I think this mindset is part of why Reach failed competitively. Stripping everything out to make the game line-up with some romanticized, god-tier vision of a Halo gone by just makes the game unappealing to people - "casual" or not. Embrace the new mechanics, or lose. If they REALLY can't function competitively, then sure, take them out, but come on, at least keep an open mind.

Yep' this. We're so quick to assume that competitive Halo needs to be automatically faster than vanilla physics. I personally hope they start with base traits intact, especially at the first few MLG events. With such a big change from standard physics to MLG gameplay you lose out on crossover fans, spectators and players alike.

Don't forget to check out the new trailer for The Hobbit.

Man, thats kinda a fun way to protest thats for sure.. Its probably too late for 343 to change anything, but maybe they can update the game via a (huge) DLC pack? Imagine if they had replaced Steve Downes or Jen Taylor, it would suck and people wouldn't get used to it, thats for sure. Honestly, even DLC is likely out of the question, that would likely be far too complicated to patch a ton of new audio into the game.. so yeah, I dunno, but I feel for them.

Is this remix track new? It is longer than any other sample...

Oh cool, thanks! I really don't hear a lot of Requiem in the track, but at least the tune is catchy.

Overdoziz

Banned

Reach failed competitively because out of the box the game was bad competitively. Bad maps, Bloom, Sprint, AAs on spawn, slow movement speed, limited agility, etc. all made the game not fun to play at a competitive level for a lot of people. Competitive gametypes aren't just created with the mindset of getting a lot of people to play them. It certainly influences some decisions but in the end the gametypes have to be fun for the competitive community. I think most people in the competitive community would love it if MLG didn't strip away half the game but if the default settings are too casual than something has to be done.

The AR and SMG are both one-dimensional and have a relatively small skill-gap, they were removed. Radar was too much of a crutch for bad players, without it people would have to rely much more on situational awareness, it was removed. In Halo 3 equipment slowed down the game and were essentially invisible back-pocket safety-nets, they were removed. Bloom + sprint in Reach slowed down the game tremendously and often made the game frustrating to play, both mechanics were removed.

Mechanics and gameplay additions aren't just removed or altered to make the play more like Halo 1 or Halo 2 like some people seem to think. They're changed simply because it makes the game play better competitively. You can include everything in a hardcore or MLG playlist for the sake of making it more popular but if it's not competitive then there's no point in having the playlist in the first place. Most people don't know this but MLG always starts off with settings that are close to the vanilla Halo game. I'm pretty sure even Armor Lock was in one of the earlier Halo Reach MLG gametypes. It simply didn't work, so they removed it.

BigShow36

Reach failed competitively because MLG attempted to keep the game as close to "default" as possible in the begining, in addition to the default settings being terrible. They even tried to keep AL in to appease people with your kind of mindset; we all know how that turned out. If MLG had no bloom, no sprint, no AA's and faster movement speed that didn't create an even worse strafe, Reach would have done a lot better competitively.

I KNOW how certain aspects of gameplay function in a competitive environment and I have a pretty good sense of whether or not they will foster fair and balanced gameplay, even without playing. I'm not going to sit here an pretend there's some deep meta-game to the AR or that a hardlight shield is going to somehow add competitive depth; I only care about taking an honest look at how the game actually plays and making the most skill-rewarding, competitively-viable game I can.

Gunnerdude

Neo Member
Deflate your specific expectations.

Soooooo skill based ranking system or spectator system? Thats deflation for me

But in all seriousness I'm excited for Halo 4 regardless of what the end product looks like, sure I may complain about certain things, but I'll play the game into the ground :)

Some of you need to understand that not everyone that claims to be a competitive Halo player is a sell-out.

Sounds like something a sell out would say..... ;)

I saw this at my tweet feed and I thought I have to share:
hf2yS.jpg

jtSK1.jpg

Ramirez

The way it was handled, absolutely. Limiting AA's, grenade starts to one, and DMR starts is precisely what people have wanted. The issues I've had with it is map selection, namely garbage like Enclosed. Radar getting turned off would probably another thing I would have done, but oh well. I mean, considering in Ranked Team Slayer in H3 we had AR starts on every large map, no changes in maps whatsoever, and Team Snipers/Shotty Snipers jammed in, it's an improvement. Bungie deserves the criticism for handling it poorly in the menus.

Speak for yourself, 1 nade starts is precisely the reason I hate Arena & Doubles. Halo was meant to be played with 2 nades, 1 just empowers campers & makes it near impossible to penetrate power positions on a map...

Reach nades are super OP, but it fundamentally changes the game when you limit it to 1.

Speak for yourself, 1 nade starts is precisely the reason I hate Arena & Doubles. Halo was meant to be played with 2 nades, 1 just empowers campers & makes it near impossible to penetrate power positions on a map...

Reach nades are super OP, but it fundamentally changes the game when you limit it to 1.

Agreed.

Beckx

Agree with this.

We need to assign Top Men to understanding Reach grenades, because I sure as hell don't. My spartan explodes if I even see one of those things land near me, but the ones I throw all have NERF written on the side.

Good riddance. My total grenade deaths in multi is flat out ridiculous.

Top Bottom