• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT9| One Final Effort Is All That Remains

Sai-kun

Banned
They are starting to sell out. Remember, when we stated that the Legendary helmet was genuinely limited and in danger of selling out,that was literally true. Preorders were through the roof. What we didn't know - and I mean me and Sketch, was that they doubled the manufacture at the last minute, unbeknownst to us. It made a liar of me so I am being careful this time around. Preorders are very strong. Lets put it that way. At this time there are no plans to make extra LEs.

Nah, it's definitely A "fake" shortage to drive up demand when it becomes available again, or a temporary "shortage" that will go away shortly.

They are starting to sell out. Remember, when we stated that the Legendary helmet was genuinely limited and in danger of selling out,that was literally true. Preorders were through the roof. What we didn't know - and I mean me and Sketch, was that they doubled the manufacture at the last minute, unbeknownst to us. It made a liar of me so I am being careful this time around. Preorders are very strong. Lets put it that way. At this time there are no plans to make extra LEs.

Well, the HMV and Game near one my friends has sold out of not only the LE of H4 but apparently the regular edition. I didn't think that was even possible.

FyreWulff

I thought I heard a similar story about the Reach LEs. They were all out and MS ordered another run. edit: But even with that, the Reach LEs were still considerably less than the H3 LEs.

I can't believe I just paid $50 to get a book.

You paid $50 for a book written by someone that wrote the script for a Gears of War game. Think about that.

Also, this FUCKING THREAD
tZOS8.gif

Reach Legendaries were claimed to be super limited and then sat in stores for months at super discounted prices.

Sucked.

Would anyone be interested in buying my LE season pass DLC code off me on release for a discount?

Does Newegg usually ship on time? I'd like to have it launch day.

Nah, you'd get it later in the week.

Does Newegg usually ship on time? I'd like to have it launch day.

I think Amazon is usually the best, obviously Newegg is tempting because of the 15 dollars off, I'm just nervous I won't get it on launch day

edit: did amazon sell out of the LE? cant seem to find it

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun

Yeah, I remember, I also remember (Marcus?) saying in the unboxing video the same thing about Reach's Legendary edition, and we know how they went. (This same thing happened with the Epic Edition of Gears 3, that being they said it was actually limited, it's not/wasn't).

Anywhere MS is the publisher you're more than likely right if you assume the "limited editions" aren't actually limited.

I'll be straight up, I'd love for it to actually be limited this time. I still have my LE preordered "just in case" but my "money" is on the "same-ol" happening again.

I know for the most part this is out of your hands, but by your own admission, you could say one thing and another thing is actually going on (perhaps unbeknownst to you). Which is exactly what I'm pointing out.

I thought I heard a similar story about the Reach LEs. They were all out and MS ordered another run. edit: But even with that, the Reach LEs were still considerably less than the H3 LEs.

Yep, I remember that too.

Don't know about that. But cat helmet-gate still stings.

It's not just "cat helmet-gate" as I've said before, it's the state of the industry as a whole, especially where MS is the publisher.

FyreWulff

About the only publisher that actually limits their limited editions reliably is Nintendo.

Of course, they do this with the Metroid Prime Trilogy and now that fucker is 80$ used at Gamestop. Fuck.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Reach Legendaries were claimed to be super limited and then sat in stores for months at super discounted prices.
I saw one sitting on the shelf when I went to pick up Borderlands 2. On sale for 47.99 or something.

Woorloog

Banned
People won't use wallhack vision for the same reasons they don't use Armor Lock anymore.

A sense of self-worth.

I was trying to find an argument against this... then i realised i don't use the armor lock because i'm confident in my skills, i don't feel like i need it.
I've been downplaying the Promethean vision ever since its reveal, i guess for the same reason, i don't think i'll need it after i know the maps and routes and such. What did Frankie say, a good player won't really need it.
I reckon this is the same reason i don't give a shit about the perk guiding you to your last killer (we don't know how that perk works BTW, not the specifics).

Killcams are an addition from COD I actually welcome. I do hope they make the game winning kill a standard across all playlists.

Dominion appears to be a fun twist on territories. I just hope it doesn't become too power weapon saturated; Heavies isn't really enjoyable for this very reason.

Still, that overshield for the losing team's last stand, made me think: All your fellow teammates are slain (presumably watching you on the respawn screen), only you remain and you do something akin to this vvvvvv to recapture the base and restore your teammates to the game

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-HCdQ_xLiM&feature=player_detailpage#t=148s

The gametype should breed some very clutch plays and momentum swings.

wwm0nkey

Was checking our Halo 4 when working at gamestop, it says you can track groups on Waypoint.

So yeah....groups is still a thing.

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
I don't understand people.

About three months after Reach dropped, I found 25 Legendary Editions in a local best buy.

Limited Edition was sold out and remained sold out in my area.

Now that they're actually making the limited edition limited, people are getting SUPER salty that they weren't able to get one.

Funny story; about two months ago i got the last 'Limited' edition of Skyrim, you know.. the one that comes with the artbook and dragon statue? snagged it for 60 bucks. Had to drive about 20 miles to get it, but eh. Felt worth it to me.

JackHerer

I was trying to find an argument against this... then i realised i don't use the armor lock because i'm confident in my skills, i don't feel like i need it.
I've been downplaying the Promethean vision ever since its reveal, i guess for the same reason, i don't think i'll need it after i know the maps and routes and such. What did Frankie say, a good player won't really need it.
I reckon this is the same reason i don't give a shit about the perk guiding you to your last killer (we don't know how that perk works BTW, not the specifics).

Yes we do. It has been seen in videos. It puts a waypoint over the head of the last person that killed you for a few seconds after you spawn.

About the only publisher that actually limits their limited editions reliably is Nintendo.

Of course, they do this with the Metroid Prime Trilogy and now that fucker is 80$ used at Gamestop. Fuck.

Yeah that sucks. I'm not sure why people complain about LE's being available.

Yeah, I really hope Killcams make thier way into Infinity Slayer, especially the game winning kill. Such a great edition, I cannot wait to see the really crazy in that may happen in those.

Was checking our Halo 4 when working at gamestop, it says you can track groups on Waypoint.

So yeah....groups is still a thing.

Oh, anything else interesting? Also, any word of when advertising will start coming in? (cardboard stands, etc)

I wonder Groups is just some weird new term for challenges/commendations.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
wow, some UFC fighter is walking out to one of the bad halo 2 rock songs. havent heard that in ages...

Trey

You paid $50 for a book written by someone that wrote the script for a Gears of War game. Think about that.

Also, this FUCKING THREAD
tZOS8.gif

She also wrote Glasslands, which is an even more egregious undertaking.

The Thursday War needs to be dope as hell. For my health.

Why can't I have an option to have the AR shoot grenades? 343 just wants me to take their way or the highway.

Oh sure, that's exactly the same thing! Why couldn't me and Droid and tons of other people realize that!?

Thank you though, much appreciated.

Yeah that sucks. I'm not sure why people complain about LE's being available.

Probably because they're salty and selfish that they spent the money on it so they don't want anyone else to have it. Personally, who cares lol

No new details on groups, just that they are in there and they want us to advertise it when pitching reserves.

"Can you tell us more about the groups function?"

"No."

I hope the whole online experience (skill ranks, matchmaking setup, groups, earning SP) is explained soon, we're almost a month away from launch

FyreWulff

Oh sure, that's exactly the same thing! Why couldn't me and Droid and tons of other people realize that!?

Thank you though, much appreciated.

Considering that flags are weapons in the engine, you're asking for them to completely change how a gun works, when it boils down to the basics. It'd be like suddenly giving you the ability to toss your BR at someone.

They heard the feedback, and are considering adding it as a post launch patch option. I would not expect them to fuck with any weapon tag this close to gold.

wwm0nkey

"Can you tell us more about the groups function?"

"No."

I hope the whole online experience (skill ranks, matchmaking setup, groups, earning SP) is explained soon, we're almost a month away from launch
yeah I like how they tell us to mention it when pitching reserves but we have no fucking clue what it is.

JackHerer

Considering that flags are weapons in the engine, you're asking for them to completely change how a gun works, when it boils down to the basics. It'd be like suddenly giving you the ability to toss your BR at someone.

They heard the feedback, and are considering adding it as a post launch patch option. I would not expect them to fuck with any weapon tag this close to gold.

But isn't this engine based on or derived from past Halo games? All the code for flag behavior should be in the game already right? Maybe I'm just showing my ignorance to game design and programming right now.

You were able to drop it in the past, changing it so that you couldn't is beyond any reasonable explanation other than them forcing you to play how they want. This decision was clearly made long ago to deny people from dropping the flag. Any way you try to defend 343, it still looks bad on their behalf..

..that being said, I'm a firm believer that redemption never hits the snooze button - so we'll see.

yeah I like how they tell us to mention it when pitching reserves but we have no fucking clue what it is.

Just bring back Halo 2's system.

I will be severely disappointed if it's just on the waypoint website, and not even in the game itself. All I want is the ability to create clans in the game, invite members, choose roles, and play in a clan playlist (or match up clans with other clans in team slayer) Put in depth stats on waypoint, and maybe a leaderboard or something

Don't let me down 343.

FyreWulff

You were able to drop it in the past, changing it so that you couldn't is beyond any reasonable explanation other than them forcing you to play how they want. This decision was clearly made long ago to deny people from dropping the flag. Any way you try to defend 343, it still looks bad on their behalf..

Yeah all they did was remove the ability to drop it, they certainly didn't make it so it gave you a magnum when you pick it up or anything.

An easier way to think about it is: take a magnum weapon and added a flag to it's third and first person viewmodels. You could do the same thing with some work in Halo: Custom Edition. Would you expect an option to be able to drop any of your normal weapons in Halo at will? Same thing. They wanted their vision for CTF, and making it so a weapon's core functionality changes based on settings in the lobby is a notable undertaking to make sure they work correctly. Look at the flag options in Halo 3 that were broken: the option to let flag drivers drive with the flag didn't actually work, it always made you drop the flag when you got in the seat. It was an out of band custom option that unfortunately was left broken due to more important priorities focused on the mainline experience. I think 343 would rather everything that comes with the game works.

But isn't this engine based on or derived from past Halo games? All the code for flag behavior should be in the game already right? Maybe I'm just showing my ignorance to game design and programming right now.

It would be in the weapon tag for the flag.. but historically, there's only been a single type of flag weapon in a Halo game.

Top Bottom