• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT9| One Final Effort Is All That Remains

willow ve

I'm considering attempting to acquire all the pre-order and SKU exclusive disc-locked content in Halo 4. Somebody stop me (or give me some guidance as to what exactly I should not bother collecting *cough* Stinkles *cough* lybertyboy *cough* pls).

Ebay on launch day will be cheaper than buying/preordering for all that digital swag.

EDIT

Today I played my final game of Reach.
hopefully ever
Got a perfection in BTB Slayer on Boardwalk with a bunch of randoms. Game over, perfection, eject disc.

Don't forget emblems. Although I'll probably stay with the one I used for Halo 2, Halo 3, Halo 3: ODST, and Halo: Reach. You don't like that Arctic BR? Shit is BA (and also not available from any US retailer, ugh).

Well here's a good reason - Why waste all that money on armor that you can only use one at a time especially when 343 is more than likely going to release all of them later on anyway?

I like both of them MUCH more than the dubstep versions to be honest with you.

Also feel free to watch her other videos, though I am pretty sure the rest are just her dancing until she makes another Halo video XD

I liked the dubstep UNSC one more, but her's was good too. That song reminds me of the movie SWAT (which is a good thing).

Watched one of her other vids and lol, she seems hilarious. Noticed that Halo 3 poster in the background too, got that same one of MC ;]

Yeah it played differently but it was more or less the same. Also, this make me wonder why GE XBLA was not released.

All this Goldeneye talk makes me wish they set up the Sticky Detonator as Press R-Trigger for proximity mine and Hold R-Trigger for remote mine.

feel

Nice campaign footage! Funny help1 posts and ban! Fuck jetpacks! Bad Hyper with the cryptic bragging! Borderlands 2 (in coop with buddies) is soooo good!

I'm considering attempting to acquire all the pre-order and SKU exclusive disc-locked content in Halo 4. Somebody stop me (or give me some guidance as to what exactly I should not bother collecting *cough* Stinkles *cough* lybertyboy *cough* pls).
It will all be available to everyone down the line, just wait it out.

wwm0nkey

I liked the dubstep UNSC one more, but her's was good too. That song reminds me of the movie SWAT (which is a good thing).

Watched one of her other vids and lol, she seems hilarious. Noticed that Halo 3 poster in the background too, got that same one of MC ;]

I think some others noticed that when U4ix showed her profile in a stream of murder miners lol

FyreWulff

Wait, then why was GE released on the Wii and PS3 by Activision?

Best way to explain it:

Rare owns all the original geometry from Goldeneye. Nintendo owned the game/engine. Most if not all of the levels were based off real-world locations. Facility is an actual gasplant, for example. Rare also made original multiplayer maps for the game based off nothing, this includes Complex, Stacks, etc. They re-use Complex and Stacks for Banjo-Tooie's first person sections.

MS buys Rare. Now technically the original Goldeneye is in a rights clusterfuck. Anyone with the Bond license can use the Goldeneye name and locations. But Nintendo owns the game as a whole (and the engine), Rare owns the geometry, and now MS owns Rare, so technically now MS and Nintendo co-own a game along with Activision who owns the rights to make Bond games.

Goldeneye XBLA was basically finished by Rare before it ever came out, because up to that point they thought all 3 companies could come to an agreement. Goldeneye XBLA was actually going to be released on XBLA -and- WiiWare, with Rare making the Wii version, via Activision, since Activision wasn't going to release it without Nintendo's blessing. They'd be day and date with each other, etc. Part of the deal (from what I remember) would have also had Rare's N64 catalog be released on Wii even though Microsoft technically now owned the Rare games.

Nintendo of America was all for it, with Reggie giving approval for it. Final word went to Nintendo of Japan, and Iwata shot it down, who felt a Nintendo game shouldn't be on other consoles. Goldeneye remake is essentially dead in the water at this point. Activision decides to make their own Goldeneye movie game, which contains some references to the original but is otherwise not based off Rare's game at all. Game doesn't contain any of the original multiplayer maps AFIAK. It might have some same locations, but that's based off the movie.

MS also says fuck it and during that time, releases Perfect Dark XBLA, which was a port of the original game and not emulated at all, bypassing paying Nintendo for emulating their code. They also excise the Nintendo credits from Banjo Tooie XBLA, where they originally left the Nintendo credits 100% intact on BK XBLA, I guess as a piss-off for the whole deal falling apart. edit: and all the Nintendo credits were excised from Perfect Dark.

tl;dr corporate politics are FUN, and we were one person away from seeing the first release co-published by rival platform makers.

Ramirez

This is embarrassing.

Also, precisely the reason these companies will not stop waping your wallet every chance they get.

Well here's a good reason - Why waste all that money on armor that you can only use one at a time especially when 343 is more than likely going to release all of them later on anyway?
It will all be available to everyone down the line, just wait it out.
I don't think all of the disc-locked content will be made available. Sure, maybe the pre-order bonuses will eventually, but I doubt the SKU-exclusive stuff will (especially the console bundle dlc). It would help to know exactly what is and what isn't going to be made available down the road, but I don't think 343 Industries even knows for sure yet.

This is embarrassing.

Also, precisely the reason these companies will not stop waping your wallet every chance they get.
See, I don't think it's a calculated attempt to take advantage of completionists (well, maybe the SKU-specific bonuses are, to an extent), just trying to help give their biggest retail buyers incentives to sell (and subsequently buy) more. In either case, and this is completely and admittedly obsessive, but it irks me to have content locked out. I'm playing Halo 2 right now with my brother, and we have access to all the emblems. Not so in Halo 4.

Doodis

Anyone ever listen to any of the Halo audio books? I've got physical books for every novel released so far, but limited time this coming month has me considering the audio book, but I'm curious about the quality of previous versions.

Fracas

#fuckonami

Why would you do that?

People are going to be giving away all kinds of those codes in the time around launch. Hell, people still give out Anniversary map pack codes.

Don't forget emblems. Although I'll probably stay with the one I used for Halo 2, Halo 3, Halo 3: ODST, and Halo: Reach. You don't like that Arctic BR? Shit is BA (and also not available from any US retailer, ugh).

The emblems mean nothing to me - the one emblem I have been using for the last so many years is the same one im going to use now.

This is embarrassing.

Here Hired, I got this one for ya:

RSPbO.gif

I would pay for a Boba Fett helmet though

Beckx

Anyone ever listen to any of the Halo audio books? I've got physical books for every novel released so far, but limited time this coming month has me considering the audio book, but I'm curious about the quality of previous versions.

Amazon/Audible have samples - looks like Tim Dadabo is the narrator for the Bear books, AND they are unabridged (my key criteria).

The Audible membership is a good deal if you're going to listen to a lot of books over time.

Amazon/Audible have samples - looks like Tim Dadabo is the narrator for the Bear books, AND they are unabridged (my key criteria).

The Audible membership is a good deal if you're going to listen to a lot of books over time.
This. I've purchased all of the Halo audiobooks over the past year through that membership, and the quality is consistently good (especially compared to some other audio books I've purchased).

To add to the discussion, 343 Sparkcast has a 25 minute excerpt of Primordium. I have yet to listen to it, because I'm knee-deep in other podcasts and always forget to listen on my way to/from work.

Ramirez

To add to the discussion, 343 Sparkcast has a 25 minute excerpt of Primordium. I have yet to listen to it, because I'm knee-deep in other podcasts and always forget to listen on my way to/from work.

Don't listen to it in the car, I don't want you to hurt yourself, or anyone else for that matter.

Third person shooters aren't very fun at all though
tqC6H.gif

These are the words of someone who got shit on 1 too many times in Gears.

dead

http://forums.bestbuy.com/t5/image/serverpage/image-id/1478i4DB54D0A7FDA268A/image-size/original?v=mpbl-1&px=-1

No helmet just this skin AFAIK
Best Buy Canada gets the Raptor skin and the Deadeye skin. :3

halo-armor.jpg

The SMG and Plasma Rifle should have been secondary weapons. Add some variety to the loadouts.
Silenced SMG with a 2x scope and a Plasma Rifle with CE stun properties. Frankie pls.

The SMG and Plasma Rifle should have been secondary weapons. Add some variety to the loadouts.

They should've allowed it so that the only difference between primaries and secondaries would've been that the DMR, BR, Carbine and Light Rifle were only selectable in the primary slot, making Firepower only necessary if you want to have one of those 4 as your secondary.

These are the words of someone who got shit on 1 too many times in Gears.

Silenced SMG with a 2x scope. Frankie pls.

You.. I like you.

Ramirez

That bad, huh? Thanks for the tip; I don't want my first foray into audiobooks be a shitty experience.

You might like it, but I enjoyed Cryptum and didn't think it was that slow.(like most did) But sweet jesus Primordium is a good 150+ pages of just meaningless walking.

Why do people hate QTE so much? It gives you the best of both worlds, you get the cinematic effect, but still control it some what. Better than a cutscene or just flat out bad game mechanic.

TCKaos

I think I've broken it down once, but here it is again. You need:

Halo 4 Limited Edition Console (399.99)
Halo 4 Limited Edition Game (99.99)
Halo 4 War Games Pass (25.00)
Halo 4 from Microsoft Store (59.99)
Halo 4 from Gamestop (59.99)
Halo 4 from Best Buy (59.99)
Halo 4 from Amazon (59.99)
Halo 4 from Walmart (59.99)
Halo 4 from Mighty Ape (72.71)
Halo 4 from Play.com (64.78)
Halo 4 from EB Canada (61.21)

All products unavailable in America have had their prices approximately converted to USD.

Assuming that the Limited Edition nets you one of the pre-order bonuses from the MS store, Gamestop, Best Buy, Amazon or Walmart, you're going to have to spend roughly $963.64 before shipping or taxes.

Beckx

But sweet jesus Primordium is a good 150+ pages of just meaningless walking.

In other words, perfect for an audiobook.

There was no way I was going to be able to get through Song of Ice and Fire any other way than audiobook. Life is too short, and my commute too long. description, description, internal monologue, OMG WHAT DID THEY CUT OFF NOW, description, something about ravens, incest.

TheOddOne

You might like it, but I enjoyed Cryptum and didn't think it was that slow.(like most did) But sweet jesus Primordium is a good 150+ pages of just meaningless walking.
So much fucking walking around in that. I fell asleep twice on the train today because of that.

In other words, perfect for an audiobook.

There was no way I was going to be able to get through Song of Ice and Fire any other way than audiobook. Life is too short, and my commute too long. description, description, internal monologue, OMG WHAT DID THEY CUT OFF NOW, description, something about ravens, incest.
Weak dude, I'm reading through the series now. I'm on A Clash of Kings and loving it. It's great comparing the books to the tv series, I can easily picture all the scenes.

Beckx

ASoIaF is actually an amazing read though Beck.

I'm still super salty about Book IV. :/

Weak dude.

I am not actually being serious. Well, I'm serious about having listened to it on audio. Roy Dottrice (who I believe is in the series?) is an incredible narrator. At some point between obligations and pass-times, something has to give and moving long reads into audio for my commute has been immensely enjoyable.

GhaleonEB

Why do people hate QTE so much? It gives you the best of both worlds, you get the cinematic effect, but still control it some what. Better than a cutscene or just flat out bad game mechanic.

It all depends on the implementation. I don't want to be playing a shooter that suddenly cuts to taking control away and executing a QTE with little or no notice. When you know they're coming they can be effective. So long as Halo 4 handles them well I don't have an issue either.

JackHerer

I'm still super salty about Book IV. :/

Yeah I wasn't a big fan of it. It had some cool moments I guess. I loved the first three though. I heard the 5th book that came out a while ago is not that great either so I haven't been motivated to read it yet.

Top Bottom