• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT9| One Final Effort Is All That Remains

Karl2177

Why do people hate QTE so much? It gives you the best of both worlds, you get the cinematic effect, but still control it some what. Better than a cutscene or just flat out bad game mechanic.
Why do people hate Cortana moments so much? It gives you the best of both worlds, you get the cinematic effect, but still control it somewhat. Better than a cutscene or just flat out bad game mechanic.

Beckx

I loved the Jamie and Cersei chapters personally. Nothing could have kept the train going like SOS though, so it was inevitable it wouldnt be as good.

Jamie, yes.
Jamie's character arc is the single best thing about the series, and I'm dying for someone to try to make a video game where the protagonist is like Jamie. Cersei, though - Martin was too effective at making me hate her. I got ill every time the narrator said "Cersei."

senador

Banned
It all depends on the implementation. I don't want to be playing a shooter that suddenly cuts to taking control away and executing a QTE with little or no notice. When you know they're coming they can be effective. So long as Halo 4 handles them well I don't have an issue either.

Yes, it depends on how it is executed. Much of CoD and BF3...bad. I'm not worried about Halo 4's implementation though. I think it'll be a nice change actually to show and do some things that may not have been previously possible.

Why do people hate QTE so much? It gives you the best of both worlds, you get the cinematic effect, but still control it some what. Better than a cutscene or just flat out bad game mechanic.
Its just un-Halo to me. Just as it would be out of place to see in a Half-Life game.

Maybe I missed something but are there QTEs in Halo 4? Or just the micro-cinematics like they did in Reach when the Zealots show up for the first time?

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
Yes, it depends on how it is executed. Much of CoD and BF3...bad. I'm not worried about Halo 4's implementation though. I think it'll be a nice change actually to show and do some things that may not have been previously possible.

Something about watching chief climbing up that shaft and jumping to avoid getting smashed seemed off.

Maybe it was the fact that the player was already mid jump by the time cortana said 'WATCH OUT', or the clunkiness of the movement... i dunno :\

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I think that the so-called "QTE" looks fine. I love the Uncharted games and they do some similar stuff. Set piece moments.

As long as there isn't one every 20 minutes it should be fine.

Its the illusion of control portrayed in a blatant and in my opinion, condescending manner. The input is the pressing of a button (when it tells you), and the output is a complex action, which just creates a horrible disconnect in my brain that makes me want to qte a gun against my head.

Okay, did Hyper and Over just get hired by 343? What's with the cryptic comments? And what the hell does "IF I loved Tsavo Highway" mean? Are there people who don't love The Chopper that mission? God's balls, people; Shitty Work Monday is not the day to fuck around with information.
I like Tsavo Highway but I do not love it.

How should I describe "Land Grab"? A vehicular orgy? Sounds fitting.

I hate you for not explaining what Complex is.
I am sorry but I cannot write during driving. And phone battery died.

Its the illusion of control in a blatant and in my opinion, condescending manner. The input is the pressing of a button (when it tells you), and the output is a complex action/animation, which just creates a horrible disconnect in my brain that makes me want to qte a gun against my head.

Havok

Cutscenes can be skipped on replays. QTEs can't. Besides, it's such a limited amount of control that I'd rather just have it be a first person animation sequence than have to be hamstrung by the often crappy controls dictated by the needs of the "cinematic effect" during those kinds of sequences.

It's the same kind of thing that makes me never want to play through a huge amount of Half-Life 2. If I have to sit through an assload of jabbering in Kleiner's lab without being able to skip to the part where it's a video game, I'm annoyed.

Maybe I'm in the huge minority on this, but I actually love cutscenes, even if I tend to skip them past the second or third playthrough.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Its the illusion of control in a blatant and in my opinion, condescending manner. The input is the pressing of a button (when it tells you), and the output is a complex action/animation, which just creates a horrible disconnect in my brain that makes me want to qte a gun against my head.

That's why this one didn't remind me of a QTE. No button prompt, and you have direct control over moving left and right on the hand grabs (from what I could tell). Looked more like a set piece moment than a "Hit X......NOW" moment.

That's why this one didn't remind me of a QTE. No button prompt, and you have direct control over moving left and right on the hand grabs (from what I could tell). Looked more like a set piece moment than a "Hit X......NOW" moment.

Yea, in the way of QTE's, this one isn't that bad. Still, I'd rather just watch the story unfold, then be able to just play some Halo.

I dont want to play those mini games when I go back to replay the campaign.

Unless they are really fun, but even then after the second time it will be more annoying than cool.

Amazon uk just dispatched my Thursday War. Awesomesauce.

Can you link me to which one you ordered. They have like 3 editions listed, one of them isnt out, one of them is hardback and one of them has a dispatch time between 1-3 weeks lol!

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I dont want to play those mini games when I go back to replay the campaign.

Unless they are really fun, but even then after the second time it will be more annoying than cool.

I can get that, I guess that's where we differ though. I love games like Uncharted that have that cinematic feel to them, and include awesome set piece moments. Makes the story feel more bad ass at times. I think about my first playthough and the story more than I think about what happens if I play through it more than once.

GhaleonEB

My biggest issue with QTE's has more to do with re-playability. QTE's are generally the same every time - the same couple of button presses in the same sequence with the same timing. Often when I run through a Campaign mission I'll skip cinematics for time or because of how often I've seen them. I play the missions over and over because of how fun it is to mix up tactics and deal with unpredictable situations. So having elements like the elevator shaft sequence in the game means there's a segment of every mission that is (probably) unskipable and also going to be the same every time. Over time, they might feel like those Cortana/Gravemind interruptions in Halo 3; they get annoying with multiple replays (and I liked them the first few times).

So I'm curious how 343 is going to get around this. Make them skipable? No fail condition?

willow ve

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGNCH6y8OmM&t=0m18s

Not sure I can say im a fan.

Chose not to watch any more of the video to keep as much of the campaign a surprise as possible.

Although the QTE does look a bit... meh, the assassination animations look really cool (although I literally hate them in multiplayer - I always initiate them by accident when I'm going for a back smack).

It also looks like it'll be easy to stick enemy AI in campaign... although that could just be on an easy setting. I always hated how enemies in campaign seem to react before you actually throw a grenade.

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
Upon watching again, Chief is FULLY out of the way by the time Cortana says 'Watch Out'

I mean, seriously... is this going to play into cortana being 8 years old? Does she now have latency between visuals and processing? :p

Merguson

Banned
What? No paperback right away?
Fuck that.

From what amazon.ca tells me.. the paperback is coming out the same day as the hardcover..

alas not the same for Primordium.. still waiting for the paperback which will be out by the end of october.. after the release of Thursday War.. that makes a lot of sense..

My biggest issue with QTE's has more to do with re-playability. QTE's are generally the same every time - the same couple of button presses in the same sequence with the same timing. Often when I run through a Campaign mission I'll skip cinematics for time or because of how often I've seen them. I play the missions over and over because of how fun it is to mix up tactics and deal with unpredictable situations. So having elements like the elevator shaft sequence in the game means there's a segment of every mission that is (probably) unskipable and also going to be the same every time. Over time, they might feel like those Cortana/Gravemind interruptions in Halo 3; they get annoying with multiple replays (and I liked them the first few times).

So I'm curious how 343 is going to get around this. Make them skipable? No fail condition?
I agree, and I'm curious how co-op handles these things. Is it just one guy doing it, or does everybody get these minigames?

FyreWulff

I just want my Killer Instinct 1/2 HD for XBLA and Killer Instinct 3 =/

And Fyre, great writeup on all that man. Really interesting stuff. <3

No problem. My roommate is in Japan right now making me all Jellis.

mF55Al.jpg

Yep, that's Perfect Dark and Goldeneye, Japanese versions, new in the box, for N64.
Apparently he was going to surprise me by getting PD but it's like, 90$

Upon watching again, Chief is FULLY out of the way by the time Cortana says 'Watch Out'

I mean, seriously... is this going to play into cortana being 8 years old? Does she now have latency between visuals and processing? :p

Her visual processing is now powered by Kinect.

Might be easier to just keep the discussion in one thread.

Seems like a tiny bit of an overreaction no?

It's not like this kind of thing is interwoven into the actual gunplay. For instance, Resident Evil has those silly button prompts if a zombie latches onto you and you have to waggle the analog to break free. This is separate from the gunplay and it won't interfere with the actual shooting.

Secondly, it also gives the impression that Master Chief is a super soldier spartan and is capable of much more than simply shooting people. (Something previous games failed to capture). If spartans are supposed to be this genetically modified badass, well then show it.

I kinda like these small vignettes as long as they are kept to a minimum and don't result in weird prompts onscreen to perform an action.

If I want to go replay a mission that has a 5 minute mini game in it, im going to probably dread the 5 minute repetitive minigame.

Those kinds of thing always make it a bit more annoying to replay, but I agree to an extent, it will be cool to see chief do more - but its hardly going to be anything special playing a mini game.

How do they differ from kicking the Elite off of the player in Reach on the first level?

That was pretty awesome, and only lasted a few seconds though.

This is the best way to do them. Like Mark of the Ninja has these easy little QTEs for each execution. Succeed and you get a perfect kill, fail and you get a messy kill with the guard thrashing about and gurgling out blood, making noise.

Its the 'Press A to awesome' or else fail and retry which has to just go away entirely. Its not fun. Well made QTEs are only a little better though.

How do they differ from kicking the Elite off of the player in Reach on the first level?
Thats not really a QTE as there is no user input required. Its more of a short transitional cinematic.

Still don't know whether Halo 4 has QTEs or those short cinematics.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I still don't consider that one section we saw a traditional quick time event. Maybe that's just me though. :p

More akin to set piece moments from games like Uncharted. I HATE QTEs with a passion, and this did not look bad.

CyReN

No problem. My roommate is in Japan right now making me all Jellis.

mF55Al.jpg

Yep, that's Perfect Dark and Goldeneye, Japanese versions, new in the box, for N64.
Apparently he was going to surprise me by getting PD but it's like, 90$

Random Fact:
Goldeneye 64 was created by 9 people, 8 of which had never worked on a game before (also the multiplayer was an afterthought, created by one guy)

Merguson

Banned
I would like to see a quick-time event involving the Master Chief and a Grunt...

and the outcome if the Chief fails to overpower the Grunt

Woorloog

Banned
From what amazon.ca tells me.. the paperback is coming out the same day as the hardcover..

alas not the same for Primordium.. still waiting for the paperback which will be out by the end of october.. after the release of Thursday War.. that makes a lot of sense..

Oh. Hmm. I hope stores here will stock the paperback, not the hardcover.

Didn't Primordium get a paperback already? I have one. Or do you mean pocket book sized one?

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe I'm in the huge minority on this, but I actually love cutscenes, even if I tend to skip them past the second or third playthrough.
Haha, yeah, that's exactly what I keep thinking to myself in this whole "QTE" debate. I only hate cutscenes in games with bad stories. I don't consider Halo to be a game with a bad story.

Vire

I still don't consider that one section we saw a traditional quick time event. Maybe that's just me though. :p

More akin to set piece moments from games like Uncharted. I HATE QTEs with a passion, and this did not look bad.

A quick time event is where you press a button and an un-analogous event happens on screen. (PRESS A TO STAB THIS GUY A THOUSAND TIMES)

What we are shown here, is Chief climbing using the directional analogs. It makes sense, it is self explanatory (no condescending button prompts) and is a clever way of showing a cinematic event without resorting to a traditional Quick Time Event.

Top Bottom