• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT9| One Final Effort Is All That Remains

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
A quick time event is where you press a button and an un-analogous event happens on screen. (PRESS A TO STAB THIS GUY A THOUSAND TIMES)

What we are shown here, is Chief climbing using the directional analogs. It makes sense, it is self explanatory (no condescending button prompts) and is a clever way of showing a cinematic event without resorting to a traditional Quick Time Event.

Agreed. It most definitely was not 'press X to make Chief do a flying drop kick and throw a grunt off a mountain' it was 'hit left to jump left.'

senador

Banned
Something about watching chief climbing up that shaft and jumping to avoid getting smashed seemed off.

Maybe it was the fact that the player was already mid jump by the time cortana said 'WATCH OUT', or the clunkiness of the movement... i dunno :\

Or that it was somewhat out of context and you weren't the one controlling it?

CyReN

h5OT4.png

broony

Can you link me to which one you ordered. They have like 3 editions listed, one of them isnt out, one of them is hardback and one of them has a dispatch time between 1-3 weeks lol!

It's the £8.87 paperback one that says ships in 1-3 weeks. I'm guessing they only had enough in their first delivery for the pre orders.

Isn't that just a cutscene that you can skip?
It is. The climbing/throwing the elite down the shift were one sequence. I am not sure if you had complete freedom in that section but the Chief looks to the right or to the left and subconsciously you move the stick to that direction.

For the curious people:
Dawn ~30min on Heroic pretty easy.
Forerunner ~1-2hour on Heroic. Oh Promethean are arses. Focusing on the Knight? Thousand of crawlers are attacking you. Attacking the Watcher? Knight and thousand of crawlers are attacking you. Etc.

FyreWulff

Random Fact:
Goldeneye 64 was created by 9 people, 8 of which had never worked on a game before (also the multiplayer was an afterthought, created by one guy)

Yup. The levels were also built using flight simulator software, and Rare went to the movie set and built all the campaign levels based off the sets before they even thought about how they'd work for missions.

Goldeneye also has a fully functioning Spectrum emulator in the game. Amusingly, even though Rare had Spectrum emulation fully functioning on the N64 inside Goldeneye, the Jetpac game in Donkey Kong 64 is an actual port to N64 machine code.

To bring it back to Halo related stuff, to be set fire in Reach (Power Slayer, etc), Bungie/343 attaches an object named "invisible_cube_of_derek" to you, named after the Bungie employee responsible for a lot of the scripting of gametypes, including Invasion.

Agreed. It most definitely was not 'press X to make Chief do a flying drop kick and throw a grunt off a mountain' it was 'hit left to jump left.'

But what if I want to throw grunts off mountains?

It is. The climbing/throwing the elite down the shift were one sequence. I am not sure if you had complete freedom in that section but the Chief looks to the right or to the left and subconsciously you move the stick to that direction.

For the curious people:
Forerunner ~1-2hour on Heroic. Oh Promethean are arses. Focusing on the Knight? Thousand of crawlers are attacking you. Attacking the Watcher? Knight and thousand of crawlers are attacking you. Etc.

Now I know you are just dancing around the subject.

Vire

For the curious people:

Huh, strange that mission levels vary so much in length.

With only 8 missions it's rather difficult to tell how long the game is...

But the first mission being only a half hour is a little worrying.

Merguson

Banned
Oh. Hmm. I hope stores here will stock the paperback, not the hardcover.

Didn't Primordium get a paperback already? I have one. Or do you mean pocket book sized one?

No the actual paperback.. not the smaller sized ones.. I haven't seen it yet.. and there's a october 30th date..

no idea how you got it.. :(

You might like it, but I enjoyed Cryptum and didn't think it was that slow.(like most did) But sweet jesus Primordium is a good 150+ pages of just meaningless walking.
I guess it's worth a listen, I can always turn it to something else if I don't like it. I have a tendency to get quickly bored with some sci-fi books.

I like Tsavo Highway but I do not love it.

How should I describe "Land Grab"? A vehicular orgy? Sounds fitting.

I am sorry but I cannot write during driving. And phone battery died.
It all depends on how well the vehicles perform. Never got to try any vehicle maps at RTX.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics

It's an introductory mission, it's not supposed to overwhelm you in length and dump the entire sandbox on you.

I guess it's worth a listen, I can always turn it to something else if I don't like it. I have a tendency to get quickly bored with some sci-fi books.

I guess it all depends on how well the vehicles perform. Never got to try any vehicle maps at RTX.
Warthog drives pretty cool. Wraith too. Ghost too. Banshee is kinda lame. I had fun. Unfortunately the AI didn't want to be my gunner. He always jumped into the passenger seats. Arse. I only noticed the last section because Frankie greeted me during the first part and we talked a bit.

Vire

It's an introductory mission, it's not supposed to overwhelm you in length and dump the entire sandbox on you.

Sure sure, but it also sets the tone for the game. You want to make a strong first impression with an opening that let's the player know that this campaign will be grandiose in scale. I thought Halo 2's opening fit the bill with the whole outside space/bomb sequence. Bioshock's opening also comes to mind.

Beckx

Winter Contingency is artificially long due to the two Falcon trips & the damn door.

Hyper, confirm that first level is not an extended tutorial?

FyreWulff

Aw sheeeet this is apparently my Japan present.

1tuo3l.jpg

Japanese Halo 3 is region free, right? I seem to remember all the 360 Halos being region-free.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Sure sure, but it also sets the tone for the game. You want to make a strong first impression with an opening that let's the player know that this campaign will be grandiose in scale. I thought Halo 2's opening fit the bill with the whole outside space/bomb sequence. Bioshock's opening also comes to mind.

Chief waking up after 4 years to see his drifting ship crashing on an unknown Forerunner planet isn't grandiose in scale?

It sets the tone just like you said for the entire campaign and implies new enemies, new weapons, new environments, and new scenarios to the player even if they haven't kept up with all of Halo 4's media.

Shadders

I posted earlier, but got no takers. I have a couple of tickets for Thursday and Friday at EG Expo. Free of charge to any HaloGaffers.

Sure sure, but it also sets the tone for the game. You want to make a strong first impression with an opening that let's the player know that this campaign will be grand in scale. I thought Halo 2's opening fit the bill with the whole outside space/bomb sequence.
Monsieur? Est-ce que tu es intempestif?

Winter Contingency is artificially long due to the two Falcon trips & the damn door.

Hyper, confirm that first level is not an extended tutorial?
Kinda. It sets you back to the universe. It was fun. But the only open sandbox area is shown in the screen.

I dunno man, This guy did just say his cell phone was dying yet he's still posting comments and such, rather than giving any actual answers.
I am at home?

Vire

Chief waking up after 4 years to see his drifting ship crashing on an unknown Forerunner planet isn't grandiose in scale?

It sets the tone just like you said for the entire campaign and implies new enemies, new weapons, new environments, and new scenarios to the player even if they haven't kept up with all of Halo 4's media.

I didn't say it wasn't. (I haven't played the mission).

I just said I was concerned with the length.

It very well could be the best intro mission yet.

Monsieur? Est-ce que tu es intempestif?
English please. :)

Beckx

Japanese Halo 3 is region free, right? I seem to remember all the 360 Halos being region-free.

*Almost* all NA games will work on JP boxes. A substantial number of JP games will *not* work on NA boxes. So while I can tell you that NA Halo 3 works on my JP box, the reverse may not be true. Still, unlikely that MS would have gone to the trouble to region lock JP H3.

FyreWulff

Womp womp, Kyle got banned. Will send out further instructions on when to pour one out for one of my favorite homies.

Looking through his post history I'mma guess it was this one

*Almost* all NA games will work on JP boxes. A substantial number of JP games will *not* work on NA boxes. So while I can tell you that NA Halo 3 works on my JP box, the reverse may not be true. Still, unlikely that MS would have gone to the trouble to region lock JP H3.

That's what I'd think. I'll shoot Frankie a PM

Warthog drives pretty cool. Wraith too. Ghost too. Banshee is kinda lame. I had fun. Unfortunately the AI didn't want to be my gunner. He always jumped into the passenger seats. Arse. I only noticed the last section because Frankie greeted me during the first part and we talked a bit.
That's not good at all. It happens to me in past Halos from time to time, but it's usually because the AI has a power weapon of some sort. If I swap it out for a shitty AR he hops right in the gun.

Just to be clear, were you playing Campaign or SpOps? I haven't really read much beyond multiplayer, so I don't know any level names with either of those modes.

edit: that was actually one of kylej's better posts, shame it cost him. It'll be 'fun' to see who tries to fill the void.

That's not good at all. It happens to me in past Halos from time to time, but it's usually because the AI has a power weapon of some sort. If I swap it out for a shitty AR he hops right in the gun.

Just to be clear, were you playing Campaign or SpOps? I haven't really read much beyond multiplayer, so I don't know any level names with either of those modes.
Played the same stuff as the US Press did a few weeks ago. Plus in addition the new map called Complex and if I'd wanted, I could have played Flood. But unfortunately it was pretty hard to get a full match of people. Everyone was interested in campaign or Spartan Ops.

Top Bottom