• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT9| One Final Effort Is All That Remains

nillapuddin

Halo commentators have been pretty good consistently for the past years. My favorites are probably Walshy (Because of his know-how. He's clearly new to commentating though) and Bravo because he's a very smooth (although fast) talker.

I'm not sure if it's because I am an immensely knowledgeable halo 4 fan already, but bravo's commentary really bothers me

I feel like he's talking down to us, I'm not to keen on his little phrases either, if I hear about how the AR/storm rifle/suppressor shoot "paper bullets" again
I'll go crazy

I respect what the guy is doing for the community, just not my particular cup of tea

I was absolutely loving every second of walshys halo 4 videos a few months ago

I'm not sure if it's because I am an immensely knowledgeable halo 4 fan already, but bravo's commentary really bothers me

I feel like he's talking down to us, I'm not to keen on his little phrases either, if I hear about how the AR/storm rifle/suppressor shoot "paper bullets" again
I'll go crazy

I respect what the guy is doing for the community, just not my particular cup of tea

I was absolutely loving every second of walshys halo 4 videos a few months ago

i think the whole paper bullets thing comes from the fact that most competitively minded people have it ingrained in their mind that Automatics are bad.

343, more specifically Alison Stroll, is so cool they hooked me up with Halo goodies to give away to all of you. Isn't that awesome? So, over the course of the coming months myself, and others of the Halo community who run different sites or podcasts will be giving away all of this stuff...to you...for free. There will be plenty of notification ahead of time as to when the "contests" will take place so don't feel like you'll need to be attached to GAF all day to get some free stuff.

I'll be contacting various Halo communities to see if they're interested in giving away a package of these goods to their fans.

Thanks again to Alison and 343 and stay tuned!
I... I... collected this stuff for a year now... and you have already more? Why should I do a give away now? WHY GOD WHY!

gx2qk.jpg
Dri7v.jpg
2H4PI.jpg

You seem a bit moody, hope your day turns around!

It took me a while to get into it, but I really enjoy watching it now. Same goes for fighting games. I guess I'm just a big fan of competitive gaming.

I can watch fighting games a little bit. Soul Calibur was really boring last MLG event. I missed the Mortal Kombat stuff, it seems like that would be interesting since I play that game at least.

It's really weird that nothing came of that ESPN thing, what the hell was all this about?

What the hell was up with that? Maybe it wasn't an ARG but just something they thought would be cool for people if they hit play? So random if it really had no meaning.

343, more specifically Alison Stroll, is so cool they hooked me up with Halo goodies to give away to all of you. Isn't that awesome? So, over the course of the coming months myself, and others of the Halo community who run different sites or podcasts will be giving away all of this stuff...to you...for free. There will be plenty of notification ahead of time as to when the "contests" will take place so don't feel like you'll need to be attached to GAF all day to get some free stuff.

GYD5E.jpg

Oni Patches (6)

Halo Reach San Diego Comic Con poster (3)

UNSC Hats (2)

Halo 4 Elite Zealot figure (1)

Halo 4 pins (4)

Xbox 360 Lanyard (1)

Mega Bloks Halo spartan figure (2)

Halo Cryptum by Greg Bear poster (9)

Halo 4 Decals (3)

"Know your Munitions" Halo Reach poster (2)

Halo Reach "CAUTION" Poster (2)

Halo Reach "Danger" Poster (2)

Halo PAX Prime Play date poster (3)

Red vs Blue "Reconstruction" Poster (3)

Hard Cover Halo Evolutions (3)

I'll be contacting various Halo communities to see if they're interested in giving away a package of these goods to their fans.

Thats a lot of swag. Wow.

nillapuddin

i think the whole paper bullets thing comes from the fact that most competitively minded people have it ingrained in their mind that Automatics are bad.

I could understand the bias against automatics, im just saying because he commentated on so many videos I've grown weary of hearing that exact same phrase

Needs to switch it up, come up with new commentary

I can watch fighting games a little bit. Soul Calibur was really boring last MLG event. I missed the Mortal Kombat stuff, it seems like that would be interesting since I play that game at least.

This reminds me, maybe some of you within the competitive scene know, because I don't like to watch people play games, not my cup of tea.

But, has there ever been a definable moment in the competitive Halo scene? I mean something someone's done, where it transcends beyond its origin.

For example, who can forget this?

Talents

Banned
This reminds me, maybe some of you within the competitive scene know, because I don't like to watch people play games, not my cup of tea.

But, has there ever been a definable moment in the competitive Halo scene? I mean something someone's done, where it transcends beyond its origin.

For example, who can forget this?

I don't get it...

I didn't watch much of Halo 2's MLG as I only got Halo 2 a few months prior to H3's release, I also don't watch Reach's MLG so H3's was the only MLG I really watched, but one that sticks out to me is when Neighbour did the amazing clutch ball grab on guardian just before Clutch went to jump off the map with it to play ball, he won the game for his team by 1 point for doing it.
Here.

Plus, I don't get what's so exciting about watching people play games like Starcraft, it's slow with no fast paced action like Halo or Street Fighter etc, sure playing it might be fun, but watching it seems like such a drag.

I didn't watch much of Halo 2's MLG as I only got Halo 2 a few months prior to H3's release, I also don't watch Reach's MLG so H3's was the only MLG I really watched, but one that sticks out to me is when Neighbour did the amazing clutch ball grab on guardian just before Clutch went to jump off the map with it to play ball, he won the game for his team by 1 point for doing it.
Here.

thats what came to mind for me as well

senador

Banned
Game Informer has Halo 4 Avatar Awards in this big article.

I don't feel they are spoilers since they are just basic and tied tok getting achievements we already know about, but I will tag them anyhow. Hypertrooper, there's one for you!

Halo 4
  • Mark VI Helmet – Unlock the Wake Up, John achievement
  • Promethean Helmet – Unlock the Knight in White Assassination achievement
  • UNSC Hoodie – Unlock the Not Some Recruit Anymore achievement

TheOddOne

Put some feeling into it.
Jetpacks is the fourth worst thing that Reach had introduced to the Halo Sandbox.

Fuck Jetpacks. Fuck Jetpacks. Fuck Jetpacks. Fuck Jetpacks. Buck Jetbags.

Conclusion: I hate Jetpacks.

Game Informer has Halo 4 Avatar Awards in this big article.

I don't feel they are spoilers since they are just basic and tied tok getting achievements we already know about, but I will tag them anyhow. Hypertrooper, there's one for you!

Halo 4
  • Mark VI Helmet – Unlock the Wake Up, John achievement
  • Promethean Helmet – Unlock the Knight in White Assassination achievement
  • UNSC Hoodie – Unlock the Not Some Recruit Anymore achievement
I don't see a 343i hoodie as an avatar unlock?

Fracas

#fuckonami
Yea. I've yet to receive any film or word about it lol.

Also, HaloGAF Radio commentary of a PAX Halo 4 match is coming soon. Hoping for it to be hilarious.

That's because the final match still hasn't been played yet.

That's probably a better way of putting it, Puckett is so good he makes everyone else look bad.

Will happen soon.
Yeah you guys sucks at meeting deadlines lol.

Next tourney will most definitely have concrete deadlines, and it will be enforced. More organizers would help, too.

o DeathCubeK o

Neo Member
Jetpacks is the fourth worst thing that Reach had introduced to the Halo Sandbox.

I don't think the Regeneration Field in H4 will be much better. Regeneration AND it pushes enemies away? Assuming it has multiple uses (like all AAs) whats the threat? It's not like enemies can get in there and use it against you?

This sounds awfullllllllllllll. Hope it's balanced, somehow.

BigShow36

Luckily, Halo 4 takes the worst elements of Reach and includes them in the game!

Adapt.

I don't think the Regeneration Field in H4 will be much better. Regeneration AND it pushes enemies away? Assuming it has multiple uses (like all AAs) whats the threat? It's not like enemies can get in there and use it against you?

Last I heard the regen field doesn't push people away. The promethean grenades do have a slight outward push though.

The regeneration field does not push enemies away.

Woorloog

Banned

It doesn't. Lybertyboy confirmed that some time ago.
Pulse grenades do push enemies back a little.. but they're grenades.

Needler was always a big threat to a regen field in H3, maybe this will be similar.

...and welcome, fellow WorkPLacer. ;-)

Ryaaan14

Banned
I wonder if the Pulse Grenade effect is final.

It looked pretty rudimentary from the PAX footage. Can anyone who played hands-on say if it looked better in-game than the offscreen footage?

The worst thing about jetpack is that you can't create a balanced map with any open elevated planes, which can make for really drab level design. As I recall regen field was not overpowered by any means in Halo 3. Bubbleshield was much preferred and even it wasn't considered too overpowered. Hopefully you can still grenade those suckers. Is the new pulse grenade going to be somewhat like power drain? That'd be pretty cool.

Vire

That's incredible. Thanks Alison!

Totally unnecessary, but wholly appreciated. I don't even care if I get anything, just glad to see the community being supported.

Although, a UNSC hat would be pretty spiffy.

Havok

As I recall regen field was not overpowered by any means in Halo 3. Bubbleshield was much preferred and even it wasn't considered too overpowered.
They were both junk. Shitty get out of jail free cards always are. When either of then were thrown down, your best moves were to give up on that engagement, pray that a teammate would come in to help, or run in meleeing hoping that the awful melee system favored you that day.

Regens maybe. Bubble Shields were balanced as fuck. There's nothing I loved more than rushing an enemy Bubble Shield with a shotgun in my pocket.
Except if they had an objective item or a shotgun or a mauler or plasma grenades or spike grenades or a flamethrower or a sniper or a hammer or a sword, in which case there's almost literally no viable recourse except to wait it out. As much of a pause button as Armor Lock.

They were both junk. Shitty get out of jail free cards always are.

I don't know, I always enjoyed lobbing a bunch of grenades at all the suckers grouped together in a drum circle around the regen field. And Bubbleshield was kinda cheap (with shotgun or rocket launcher) but it made for some interesting confrontations.

Top Bottom