• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT9| One Final Effort Is All That Remains

I do wonder how this will be any different from playing Infection in Reach. From what we know now, it looks pretty much the same, only now the zombies have a different skin for themselves and their weapons. Maybe an awesome cosmetic change but if that's the only thing, I don't see how it will be much different from Reach.

willow ve

I just meant that I don't see people quit out when they get stuck being a zombie. But yeah, I have seen zombies not bother going after humans, especially when the humans are holed up in one of the coveted camping spots.

And my point is now there won't be a need to idle... ever. There isn't a penalty for quitting. Hell it's not even quitting anymore, it's just drop out. So now instead of idling for a full round waiting to be a human again you can just quit drop out. I'm calling it now, there will be multiple waypoint threads complaining about how there are never any zombies flood in the infection gametype.

I wish there were some kind of international treaty that prevented any kind of new info being revealed while I'm in class. I've just now caught up. Wow.

Most of my opinions on the new stuff have already been said by various people, but there's something that got planted in my mind when looking at the new screenshots. Commander Palmer, the S-IV commander-
She looks extremely similar to the girl that young Lasky seems to have a crush on in what we've seen of FUD thus far. What if FUD isn't just introducing Lasky, it's also introducing her?

JuanGGZ

Banned
I wish there were some kind of international treaty that prevented any kind of new info being revealed while I'm in class. I've just now caught up. Wow.

Most of my opinions on the new stuff have already been said by various people, but there's something that got planted in my mind when looking at the new screenshots. Commander Palmer, the S-IV commander-
She looks extremely similar to the girl that young Lasky seems to have a crush on in what we've seen of FUD thus far. What if FUD isn't just introducing Lasky, it's also introducing her?

That is because it's her.

Tawpgun

Hmm... I was under the impression the Mech and Mammoth would be campaign only.

Interesting.

Duncans idea of the Mammoth being a mobile Dominion Base sounded awesome.

Akai__

That is because it's her.

Not the same unless she painted her hair. Edit: Ah, I see, we are not speaking of the same person.^^

I don't know who this "her" is but just wanted to say thanks to Poland for using dem black barz ;]

They should be some creepy music if you're the last person alive in Flood mode. That would make the gametype more intense!

No problem lol.

I'm willing to bet they've done exactly that. They did it in CTF, Slayer, why not Infection? It's so appropriate.

CyReN

You English with your fancy drinks
332247_2477195706706_1979018841_o.jpg

Ramirez

Any good competitive FPS will reward teamwork, not rely exclusively on teamwork to even be fun; thats a recent Halo flaw, not a universal multiplayer flaw. In well-made FPS games, only in matches of approximately equal skill is teamwork the deciding factor. I can have fun going in alone in a lot of FPS because they allow me, as an individual player, to be effective even without the support of teammates. Sure, I may not win every game, but I can still feel like I played well and I can still have fun.

Just because recent Halo games hamstring individual players and force them to rely exclusively on teamshot doesn't mean every FPS does; the great ones allow individual players to be extremely effective.

Additionally, great FPS games allow a good player to work as a team with his mates even if they aren't aware of it. In CE, I would constantly be playing off of what my teammates were doing, even if they weren't aware of it. I could do so because individual were extremely potent in that game. That doesn't mean teamwork wasn't rewarded, it just means that teamwork wasn't the only way to be effective.

So thats how I have fun going in alone in multiplayer games. Sure, its not fun in 3 or Reach, but that doesn't mean it can't be fun in a well-designed game.

You didn't name a single game, lol.

Enfinit

The new UI and multiplayer interface is going to take some time to get used to. As of right now, I definitely prefer Reach's/Halo 3 over Halo 4, I'm just not a fan of the blocky square tabs.

Ah well. It'll grow on me eventually.

Amazing Mic

Neo Member
Slow Kill Times

Easy of Aiming

It runs counter w/ your COD comments, but ignoring that it's very well thought out...

I wouldn't object to having these improved- and maybe it matters in the most competitive of competitive games. But the skill gap is already massive as it is. In today's market, I just fail to see a game, the purest of pure FPS's, keep a healthy population.

I feel like there are 2 options for someone in your boat

A) swallow that tough pill and put up with some of bells and whistles to avoid the loose matchmaking problems you hate

B) have much bigger skill gaps, lose your population and have less competitive games.

I understand and am well aware of your incredible distaste for bloom and the like- but I get why it's there. I also don't think those bells and whistles are nearly as game breaking as some make them out to be, particularly since it seems the kill times and aiming seems to have been addressed (although not to the degree you'd like).

BigShow36

You didn't name a single game, lol.

Great argument, your point almost addressed and countered everything I brought up. I did name a few games later on though.

Halo CE if you need an example right now.

It runs counter w/ your COD comments, but ignoring that it's very well thought out...

I wouldn't object to having these improved- and maybe it matters in the most competitive of competitive games. But the skill gap is already massive as it is. In today's market, I just fail to see a game, the purest of pure FPS's, keep a healthy population.

I feel like there are 2 options for someone in your boat

A) swallow that tough pill and put up with some of bells and whistles to avoid the loose matchmaking problems you hate

B) have biggest skill gaps, lose your population and have less competitive games.

I understand and am well aware of your incredible distaste for bloom and the like- but I get why it's there. I also don't think those bells and whistles are nearly as game breaking as some make them out to be, particularly since it seems the kill times and aiming seems to have been addressed (although not to the degree you'd like).

Option C; don't play the games and ask for them to get better in later iterations. Get hated on by kids who don't understand the issues.

But on a serious note, I just disagree on principle that a skill-based game cannot survive in todays market. It's not even the bells and whistles of recent games that I take issue with, its the fact that the core gameplay was unnecessarily dumbed down. Sure, I don't like many of the extra additions, but that's really not what ruined the series for me.

Skill and "casual" fun aren't mutually exclusive; you can have your cake and eat it to.

Swarmerr

There's nothing "ariibtrary" about it, it's just that the reasons are rather complex.

There are definite features of recent Halo games that force an overreliance on teamshot, and I'll do my best to break them down and what effect they have. There are two overarching "problems" that create an environment where teamshot becames too necessary, with several components to each. They are: slow kill times and easy aiming.

Whether intentional or not, the increasingly slower kill times combined with relatively easy aiming have forced a greater and greater reliance on teamshot above all else.

Slow Kill Times

Easy of Aiming

Completely agree with the two main points you have listed. Not much any of us can do about it however because I don't believe 343 would do anything to change this. (to the degree that I would like anyway)

senador

Banned
Okay so this is my TV settings set on my Xbox.

And then this is what I get on Battlefield 3 or Halo: CEA

So will I have those black bars on Halo 4?

You have to be trolling right? Into modder community, uses a monitor for gaming...

What cable are you using?

Tawpgun

Great argument, you almost had me there except for the fact that I did in a later post.

Halo CE if you need an example right now.

About all this jazz...

Shame these types of games wont sell/stay alive very well, at least on consoles. Can't really blame the devs, its the players.

JuanGGZ

Banned
I don't know who this "her" is but just wanted to say thanks to Poland for using dem black barz ;]

There should be some creepy music if you're the last person alive in Flood mode. That would make the gametype way more intense.

Not only the music, you will see, 343 Industries make a pretty good job on this gametype, it was very fun to play as a flood.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Another quote from the guy who played at the event:

Mech can crouch up and down?
Damn, so it's definitely the mech. I'm okay with that, I guess. I don't really get the mech hype that seems to generally exist among gamers, but I'm okay with them. Some kids got nuts over the slightest mention of a mech, hah.

And my point is now there won't be a need to idle... ever. There isn't a penalty for quitting. Hell it's not even quitting anymore, it's just drop out. So now instead of idling for a full round waiting to be a human again you can just quit drop out. I'm calling it now, there will be multiple waypoint threads complaining about how there are never any zombies flood in the infection gametype.
Yeah, I see what you're saying. But I don't think that quitters will be any more of an issue in Flood with Halo 4 than it was in Living Dead with Reach. It'll still be an issue, but not a major one. Kids going AFK will be the bigger problem.

Also, do we know how drop in / drop out will even work? Didn't they discuss it at some panel, saying that it was more of a system to fill in for quitters, rather than giving quitters a free pass?

If you can't detect a joke on my post there is something wrong with the way your brain receives posts.

Your joke was a waste of space and pointless. Kinda hard to tell if it is a "joke" when people are actually complaining about the text being sideways, but I guess I should be able to completely tell what your tone is from a post because I am magical.

BigShow36

Completely agree with the two main points you have listed. Not much any of us can do about it however because I don't believe 343 would do anything to change this. (to the degree that I would like anyway)

Actually, one the things I most look forward to in Halo 4 is the custom options. I appears, and I could be wrong, that increasing the movement speed won't ruin the strafe and may in fact improve it. Additionally, we may be able to increase kill speed of utility weapons without destroying the rest of the sandbox in the process. A few preliminary looks make it seem like the DMR and BR take off exactly 1/4 of the shield with each shot. If we have bleedthrough, we can make them 4sk with only an incremental increase in the damage modifier.

If that is true, at least we may be able to get some decent custom settings, even if we never see it in MM.

heckfu

Banned
Your joke was a waste of space and pointless. Kinda hard to tell if it is a "joke" when people are actually complaining about the text being sideways, but I guess I should be able to completely tell what your tone is from a post because I am magical.

At least you didn't overreact to his explanation (also a joke that he made).

Top Bottom