• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT9| One Final Effort Is All That Remains

Gui_PT

tumblr_m3kicu1ss91r7z1ii.gif

Gui_PT

Never let me around your girlfriend, just a friendly head's up.

Yeah, my girlfriend.

I'll take that advice because I totally have a girlfriend.

Yeah and...Yeah and having that gf, I don't feel lonely or depressed.

I definitely don't cry myself to sleep every night.

Yeah.

Fuchsdh

Yeah, my girlfriend.

I'll take that advice because I totally have a girlfriend.

Yeah and...Yeah and having that gf, I don't feel lonely or depressed.

I definitely don't cry myself to sleep everything.

Yeah.

Better than trying to fit in a reference to your girlfriend just so you can pretend to not be an antisocial nerd. Like I just did :p

Can it be that the Halo 4 Limited Edition OST is pushed back?

Dear All!

Microsoft have decided that the Halo 4 Soundtrack box set release needs to go back to Nov 6th because it contains exclusive spoiler information which they do not want made public prior to the game release. Many apologies but there is nothing we can do about it.

This does not affect our standard CD or digital release dates which still remain Oct 22nd.

You can still pre-order the soundtrack from the Omega Order, which we highly recommend!
http://theendrecords.com/halo-4-box-set-release-date-pushed-back/

Understandable. Still I hope that people who ordered the LE will get the digital tracks on October 22.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
just heard 4 is gold. congrats 343, must feel good :)

unrelated, where did the name ragnarok come from (not mythology, but confirmation that is valhalla remakes name)?

Congrats to 343, hope the hard work pays off and 4 is a freaking giant! Also, thanks to David and Frankie for being so awesome here, you guys help make this thread pretty cool to follow. I am now counting the days.

Eurogamer preview:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-09-27-can-halo-4-recapture-the-series-spark

Like many other quick-time events, it's clumsy, the connection between the player and the game being forced into something that's a little too tenuous.

Halo 4's introductions are subtle enough to make that core combat loop feel just as familiar, though it's lost none of its shine. There's still the potential for emergent moments that can live longer in the memory than any cut-scene or set-piece...

343's got the main formula down pat, but there's a nagging feeling that the additions may not be meaningful, and that a little of that indefinable Bungie magic's been lost.

343's done a hell of a job aping Bungie's formula while creating some smart additions of its own. It's made a real Halo game, and that's an achievement in itself, but I'll have to wait until November to see if that's enough to make this instalment feel as special as its predecessors.

Vire

I also worry that my cynicism stems from too long spent in Bungie's thrall and a reluctance to embrace Halo's new masters, as well as the inevitable fatigue that sets in when playing a late-generation entry to a well-established series. Despite the best work of 343's artists, the Xbox 360 can't provoke the awe that it once did, a fact not helped when we're playing the code with our noses squashed flat against 40-inch screens.

Mmhmmm....

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Reads pretty good for Eurogamer. Aren't they usually a bit negative on Halo?
Also, what Vire mentioned.

I wonder if that will be the case for some hardcore fans. The want to not give up Bungie and move on to 343i.

Overdoziz

Banned
For the first time that I can recall in a Halo game there's a quick-time event, and a fairly pronounced one at that. As Master Chief works his way through the battered innards of the spaceship Forward Unto Dawn he's blasted down a lift shaft. His recovery, told in first-person, requires you to push up on the analogue stick to progress, occasionally tapping left or right to dodge falling debris.

Like many other quick-time events, it's clumsy, the connection between the player and the game being forced into something that's a little too tenuous.
:(

I wonder if you can go break out the camera in theater while doing the QTE's. My guess is that they're treated as cutscenes so it won't be possible.

willow ve

Would rather have a cutscene instead of a QTE, even if it's just a first person perspective cutscene.

:/

Yep. A cutscene you can skip too. Not necessarily saying that the QTE won't be skippable, but it seems like most/all QTEs I've seen in games are not able to be skipped.

For people that replay campaign over and over again, is this (the QTE) going to be something that we can skip like a cutscene if we want to? I would guess not based on previous titles that have it (Tomb Raider comes to mind). I wonder why they chose to go that route, especially considering how immersive the Reach first person cutscenes were. bah

Beckx

Maybe it's skippable after you've done it once? The real agony of QTEs is having to do them over and over. I'm imagining Legendary where you die right after the QTE is over and have to do it again or (god forbid) die in mid-QTE.

(Please don't be like Heavenly Sword, Please don't be like Heavenly Sword, Please don't be like Heavenly Sword.)

DesertFox

Mmhmmm....

This is why I don't even bother reading reviews anymore. From what I've seen and heard, I know that I will enjoy the game regardless of what some douche-ey "press" type has to say about how it "isn't a Bungie game", or that the "environments aren't as awe-inspiring", or that the "additions to the Halo formula may not be meaningful."

Who is seriously going to be thinking about these things while playing the Halo 4 campaign?! Sometimes I feel like these guys stretch for things, just to have an opinion on it to write about.

Beckx

Oh, sir, I beg to differ.

QTE are still terrible though.

Inserted as filler into a game, especially a FPS game, I agree. But Bayonetta did them well (who didn't love the Climax QTEs?), and while it's absolutely an acquired taste, the entire conversation between developer and player in Asura's Wrath (one of my favorite gaming experiences this year) is structured around well-built QTEs.

Hate the idea of them in Halo though.

Top Bottom