• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT9| One Final Effort Is All That Remains

mhi

No way I could compartmentalize the fun of Halo MP into a specific gametype on a specific map. I had as much as fun in 2v2 Warlock, 1 Bomb on Turf, Tank Wars on Coag, and Slayer Pro on Avalanche.

Stupid realization. The LE seems like a bad deal, right? Except they're actually limited this time around. Maybe they'll actually be worth something in the future to compensate for getting nearly everything in it available at a cheaper price at launch, enough so for further purchases (like game fuel Halo 5).

Louis Wu

Holy crap - I take the evening off, and come back to not one, but TWO people using what might just be the worst picture ever taken of me as their avatars. :)

Note to self: post no more pictures in this thread.

Congrats to 343 - that's the fastest cert I've ever seen!

Really happy to hear about the Waypoint update. Will that extend to the xbox app as well?

Ripping is probably an unfair way to describe it. They probably take place where short cutscenes would take place anyway, so if anything it's the opposite and get the player more involved and immersed.

I'm excited for the QTE stuff. I think it'll give them a chance to spice things up and show some things in ways previously not possible. I don't think they'll be used unnecessarily and be done in ways like other games that are over the top and annoying with them.

Some of you are so uptight as armchair designers. Lighten up.
How much do you replay the campaign? Do you skip the cutscenes more often than not? I don't really want to harp on this too much, especially since I'm not even watching any of the campaign footage. Hopefully won't be as annoying as other games that have it, but scripted moments generally don't hold up very well after multiple playthroughs in my opinion.

I don't think these interactive cutscene moments will be near that bad. I also didn't see any button prompt come up on screen (could be wrong).

Frank even noted that they don't happen often.
Interesting. Hoping for the best.

Microsoft has been eerily quiet on the tablet apps and Surface in general.

Oh, hi top of page. Hedgemony has made more comic cover art, this time with Grim's favorite helmet:
Hot DAMN that's a cool cover. That my be my favorite helmet so far.

Overdoziz

Banned
I don't think these interactive cutscene moments will be near that bad. I also didn't see any button prompt come up on screen (could be wrong).

Frank even noted that they don't happen often.
The Elite encounter sounds pretty much exactly like a QTE. He grabs you, you either press the melee button to throw him off of you or he throws you down the shaft and you die. (At least I think it plays out like that.)

Either way I don't like the direction they're taking with it. It's not a good sign of what may come in the future in that regard. As overused as the expression is I really think QTEs (Or something similar) are not Halo.

Ripping is probably an unfair way to describe it. They probably take place where short cutscenes would take place anyway, so if anything it's the opposite and get the player more involved and immersed.
"Ripping" may be a harsh word, but at the very least it is abnormal to the regular gameplay. I see your point, and it's something worth considering – trying to find new ways to engage the payer other than a cutscene. They look most like Reach's first-person cutscenes, which I liked for the most part. They had a thrill about them, they were easy for the player and highly engaging, and you could skip them if you wanted to.

My main concern is how they hold up on replays because I replay Halo campaigns a lot. If that wasn't a factor, I would be fine with their inclusion.

Blueblur1

The Elite encounter sounds pretty much exactly like a QTE. He grabs you, you either press the melee button to throw him off of you or he throws you down the shaft and you die. (At least I think it plays out like that.)

Either way I don't like the direction they're taking with it. It's not a good sign of what may come in the future in that regard. As overused as the expression is I really think QTEs (Or something similar) are not Halo.
I rather it be a non-interactive cutscene than it be a QTE. That way you can skip on repeat plays of the campaign.

senador

Banned
How much do you replay the campaign? Do you skip the cutscenes more often than not? I don't really want to harp on this too much, especially since I'm not even watching any of the campaign footage. Hopefully won't be as annoying as other games that have it, but scripted moments generally don't hold up very well after multiple playthroughs in my opinion.

I play through the campaign far more than the average person, but not nearly as much as you and others. I'm not a once through and done type guy, I like to revisit the campaigns. I always watch tr cutscenes, unless its something like a Nightfall speed run, and I'm being honest about that.

I hate scripted events too, but I feel that has to do more with being poorly implemented in most games.

Besides, they can't be long enough to really cause that much annoyance.

http://rewards.xbox.com/get-yours/landing/election-2012
election_large_minusbar.png

How about that.

Hah, thats pretty cool of him.. Good way to get some younger ones to care about the election possibly.

Why there's no hammer assasination :/ ?

Are we sure there isn't? I really think there has to be one, its a given..

Cool, thanks! Crazy this is launching in just a week.. I still wonder if they plan to have one more real trailer before it hits to raise awareness and get the hype train moving.

On another note, its still color corrected to hell and back, but its possible this is not indicative of the final cut.

Now all they need to do is tell us the Chopper is back and I will forgive them for only 2 new vehicles.

heckfu

Banned
Holy crap - I take the evening off, and come back to not one, but TWO people using what might just be the worst picture ever taken of me as their avatars. :)

Note to self: post no more pictures in this thread.

Congrats to 343 - that's the fastest cert I've ever seen!
I like how a couple weeks ago we just decided without telling each other to quit using each others pictures as avatars. Dat telepathy.

Are you stealing my film idea?

And thank you. :)
In a world full of chilly breezes and very very light rain, one man must stand in warmth and near-total dryness. This Fall that man is HoodieTrooper.

This film is not yet rated (probably gunna be XXX though).

I thought the picture was cool. Biggy also provided you with some good Halloween costume ideas.

Moa

Banned from Waypoint for posting a link to Josh Holmes tweet about Valhalla + Mantis.

If it ain't came from Waypoint, then it counts as leaked apparently.

You're all stuck with me for a day.

Havok

Banned from Waypoint for posting a link to Josh Holmes tweet about Valhalla + Mantis.

Wow.

That's hilarious. Good lord, Waypoint mods.

I wonder what they would do if he came in there and "leaked" something himself. Could they ban the Franchise Creative Director for his own leaks?

IHaveIce

Banned

lol what? A link to a tweet of the developer is bannable?

Waypoint.

Jesus. :lol

I only use waypoint from time to time to get information since they have so many active members.. Stuff like that is the reason why so many members of that community aren't great. And what the hell, even if that counts as a 'leak' why would they ban you? Most people would just get let off since it was posted by a lead developer.

Moa

Is there any need to post on Waypoint when you have GAF?

I thought the same myself countless times, I've only ever had one legitimate ban on there.

The others have been for posting about the Sword re-skin for Flood Mode, was banned and later unbanned because they found out the image I posted wasn't leaked.

Another time I edited a post of mine that was already edited by a Moderator to remove the bad conduct, got banned for that for editing a moderators edit, apparently it was against the rules to do that, it wasn't in the rules at all, when I brought it up with an admin, I was told in simple terms 'deal with it, it is a day long ban' and then the rule was added after my ban ended, so I still have that false ban on my record.

Enfinit

I got hit with the same banhammer when the first Halo 4 article in OXM hit. Made a thread about it, instantly deleted. Made another thread, instantly deleted. I had no idea my thread was being deleted by the moderators, I was assuming Waypoint was derping and my thread creation was never happened. Anyways, on my third attempt, my thread was deleted and I received a mere 12-hour ban.

Loads of people from 343i were tweeting about it, although it wasn't "officially" released information because it wasn't released on Waypoint yet. Even though the developers from the fucking company were tweeting about it.

Ah well. That's the last ban I've had on Waypoint, so I haven't had to deal with anything like that for a while. My other 4 bans have all come from questioning moderators decisions publicly.

Someone should repost lybertyboy's comment about upcoming Waypoint improvements; they'd be posting leaks about pages loading and get banned while pages are not loading.

Talents

Banned

I could of sworn you were a moderator on waypoint?

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Another time I edited a post of mine that was already edited by a Moderator to remove the bad conduct, got banned for that for editing a moderators edit, apparently it was against the rules to do that, it wasn't in the rules at all, when I brought it up with an admin, I was told in simple terms 'deal with it, it is a day long ban' and then the rule was added after my ban ended, so I still have that false ban on my record.

If that's true, that's pretty shameless.

Mods and admins are people too and they get things wrong too. They should have had the gall to stand by their mistake instead of sweeping it under the carpet.

heckfu

Banned
I'm confused right now, what is waypoint?

(Seriously, excited about the overhaul that's happening).

And thanks for all the birthday love! Being at work by 6 was not awesome but it's always nice getting to be off early.

Moa

I got hit with the same banhammer when the first Halo 4 article in OXM hit. Made a thread about it, instantly deleted. Made another thread, instantly deleted. I had no idea my thread was being deleted by the moderators, I was assuming Waypoint was derping and my thread creation was never happened. Anyways, on my third attempt, my thread was deleted and I received a mere 12-hour ban.

Loads of people from 343i were tweeting about it, although it wasn't "officially" released information because it wasn't released on Waypoint yet. Even though the developers from the fucking company were tweeting about it. Ah well.

Somebody on Waypoint said this:

Josh Holmes posted something on his twitter. If that does not enable us to talk about that tweet and all, then I'm going to be serverley discontent. Should I make a thread about his tweet in halo 4 forum?

I replied with:

You mean how he mentioned Valhalla and how he thought it would play awesome with a Mantis?

I see what you're getting at, but it doesn't flat out confirm it, we still need to get it officially first.

----

I agree to an extent, we should have waited before making topics about ZOMG, JOSH HOLMES CONFIRMS VALHALLA w/ MANTIS, but I never posted leaked content for fucks sake.

I could of sworn you were a moderator on waypoint?

Nah, just got a lot of posts there, that's about it.

willow ve

Someone should repost lybertyboy's comment about upcoming Waypoint improvements; they'd be posting leaks about pages loading and get banned while pages are not loading.

Waypoint Banception.

bwaaaaahhhh

Error. Won't load.
How do the mods over there get everything to load perfectly and we can't even get a single thread to show up?

Moa

It's not "leaked" when an official developer of 343 talks about it. If it is, then Frank "leaks" stuff here all the time.

That's actually a fair point, you have an example of anything that Frankie, or any 343i dev has posted on here that didn't hit Waypoint for days?

Enfinit

That's actually a fair point, you have an example of anything that Frankie, or any 343i dev has posted on here that didn't hit Waypoint for days?

If this is the case, then the whole "Developer Comments" section of the Halo 4 News Hub is all considered "leaks" and I should've been banned a dozen times.

Error. Won't load.
How do the mods over there get everything to load perfectly and we can't even get a single thread to show up?
Hopefully the site upgrade will alleviate this problem. I just made a thread in the General Discussion forum about the site upgrades, that's all.

It certainly sounds like he a lot of experience with the moderation there.
Unfortunately, yes...

Top Bottom