• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT9| One Final Effort Is All That Remains

Omni

Off topic... But I just finished AC:Revelations and Embers. While the game wasn't exactly the strongest in the series, I have to give credit where it's due. The way Ezio's story was told is quite frankly, amazing. When they showed him pass away in Embers I actually felt sad... and that doesn't happen all that often with video games (if at all).

Hopefully Halo 4 is more than a CoD-esque-quick time event-Michael Bay fest and has some sentimental elements within the story.

Now I'm wondering if the QTE referenced in the article is the ONLY event that we will encounter. I really hope so, but it would be extremely odd to only have one in a game that as a franchise has never had them. hmm...

Oh well, plenty of other things to be excited about.

Overdoziz

Banned
Now I'm wondering if the QTE referenced in the article is the ONLY event that we will encounter. I really hope so, but it would be extremely odd to only have one in a game that as a franchise has never had them. hmm...

Oh well, plenty of other things to be excited about.

I would point out these moments are rare and only happen during events that are things you can't normally do physically. The first level has a couple of them to "train" you, but they won't be frequent or presented as QTE problems. They're transitional or cinematic vignettes that don't yank you out of the action. Also, if you don't smash that Elite he tosses you down the shaft.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=37501505&postcount=13242

Don't worry, they're not quick time events, they're interactive cinematic actions.

I wouldn't have as much of a problem with them if they were "dynamic" so to speak. Like, make it so that any offensive button press could help punch away the Elites/Prometheans. Right trigger pulls them around behind you and you shoot them off the edge of the shaft; melee gives you the punch and then shove to kill them. Reload lets you hit them with the butt of your gun to knock them off; jump would be a kick; etc.

JackHerer

So if pretty much all maps are built for 5v5, what is MLG gonna do for Dallas? I supposed some of them could sorta work for 4v4 like Haven, Solace, Adrift. The rest seem a tad too big from what we've seen.

willow ve

Can Waypoint talk about it now?

They can talk about it all they want - unfortunately you won't be able to read any of it due to endless errors. (ha, and as I speak going to Waypoint in my browser automatically redirects to the Xbox.com main page - which also times out).

So if pretty much all maps are built for 5v5, what is MLG gonna do for Dallas? I supposed some of them could sorta work for 4v4 like Haven, Solace, Adrift. The rest seem a tad too big from what we've seen.

It would be really cool if the larger maps had "sections" that you could enable for certain gametypes. Battlefield 3 does this very well. When you're playing some gametypes the entire map is opened up and ready for combat. When you're in a less vehicle intensive gametype the same map is playable, but the boundaries and spawns are moved in.

Pop

We still haven't seen 3 maps, so maybe their small symmetrical maps. Besides for MLG to host H4 at Dallas this year before the game releases, shows they are confident.

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
Some very welcome changes are coming for the Waypoint website. I've been told they should alleviate most, if not all of your frustrations over performance.

They aren't QTEs...

You have control over direction and jumping from what we've seen. More, set piece moment.
I think the sentiment in the concern is the same. Halo is about the design of improvisatory player action through the sandbox, it sets it far apart from most shooters on the market. Introducing scripted sequences can be seen as hurtful towards that formula, and it's certainly why I don't replay games of that type.

Take Uncharted for a highly acclaimed and relevant example to such setpieces. I just don't care about most of what I'm doing in that game because it feels so mindlessly automated, I'll hold in the general direction it wants me to go and press jump and it'll just work because it's so ludicrously guided. I'd personally take emergent happenings over tight scripting anytime.

Some very welcome changes are coming for the Waypoint website. I've been told they should alleviate most, if not all of your frustrations over performance.

WayneZang.jpg

JackHerer

We still haven't seen 3 maps, so maybe their small symmetrical maps. Besides for MLG to host H4 at Dallas this year before the game releases, shows they are confident.

Isn't it more of a promo event? Also, Haven and Adrift are the small maps according to 343. One of the tradeoffs of universal sprint I guess.

They aren't QTEs...

You have control over direction and jumping from what we've seen. More, set piece moment.

Deadly, the concerns – ripping the player out of regular gameplay and how they hold up during replays of the game – remain regardless if they're more "set piece moments" than QTEs.

Old? Looks like pre-orders are going up for Play Arts Kai Halo 4 figures; about 60 bucks/4700 JPY not including shipping. Late December 2012 release, apparently. The Spartan Warrior looks pretty good in that pose and lighting, although I still have an aversion towards the Play Arts Kai stuff.
Those are gorgeous. So bought.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Deadly, the concerns – ripping the player out of regular gameplay and how they hold up during replays of the game – remain regardless if they're more one than the other.

I know, it's just one of those things that bugs the crap out of me. QTE is a very specific thing. I hate QTEs generally, but I like these kind of set piece moments.

senador

Banned
Deadly, the concerns – ripping the player out of regular gameplay and how they hold up during replays of the game – remain regardless if they're more "set piece moments" than QTEs.

Ripping is probably an unfair way to describe it. They probably take place where short cutscenes would take place anyway, so if anything it's the opposite and get the player more involved and immersed.

I'm excited for the QTE stuff. I think it'll give them a chance to spice things up and show some things in ways previously not possible. I don't think they'll be used unnecessarily and be done in ways like other games that are over the top and annoying with them.

Some of you are so uptight as armchair designers. Lighten up.

willow ve

Can't come soon enough. And I assume a stat tracking API?

In other news - any announcements on the tablet/mobile integration? I thought we heard something about that ages ago and since that tease we haven't heard a single thing. (Maybe shelved until Halo 5 on the new hardware?)

Ripping is probably an unfair way to describe it. They probably take place where short cutscenes would take place anyway, so if anything it's the opposite and get the player more involved and immersed.

I'm excited for the QTE stuff. I think it'll give them a chance to spice things up and show some things in ways previously not possible.

Some of you are so uptight as armchair designers. Lighten up.
The best part about those things as cutscenes is that you can skip 'em. :3

I hate QTEs mainly because they are deployed as the easiest, laziest, ad hoc, cardboard stand-ins for complex player agency in a given scenario, and because they destroy immersion by making you acutely conscious of your interactions with the hunk of plastic in your hands... but I wouldn't really mind their being in Halo if Halo wasn't a game you replay a lot. Having to perform the same rote button presses to 'solve' the same canned animations could get pretty stale by the fourth or fifth go-around. We'll see.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I hate QTEs mainly because they are deployed as the easiest, laziest, ad hoc, cardboard stand-ins for complex player agency in a given scenario, and because they destroy immersion by making you acutely conscious of your interactions with the hunk of plastic in your hands... but I wouldn't really mind their being in Halo if Halo wasn't a game you replay a lot. Having to perform the same rote button presses to 'solve' the same canned animations could get pretty stale by the fourth or fifth go-around. We'll see.

I don't think these interactive cutscene moments will be near that bad. I also didn't see any button prompt come up on screen (could be wrong).

Frank even noted that they don't happen often.

Yea, they are all those things plus they probably cost a decent amount of development time/money that could've gone to better use elsewhere. Personally I even feel this with cutscenes; think of the money that goes into making facial animations alone. I'd rather have every bit of that go into gameplay additions. But I realize that people love their game's stories, so I'm not really one to complain there.

Top Bottom