• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT9| One Final Effort Is All That Remains

nillapuddin

Solo isn't that bad. You just have to learn to be ok with never winning, never scoring objectives, and being matched with full parties in every playlist you enter. But you can take satisfaction in being the only player on your BTB team to go positive or be the last player left on a team of quitters and jetpacking over the wall in Hemorrhage so the other team can't spawn kill you anymore.

Shit, why do I always play alone?
Probably because I play at odd hours (usually just 2-5 games in a row) and I don't use a mic anymore (due to people usually sleeping when I play)

dude, i cried.

thats exactly what Im saying, I wouldnt wish that on anyone and Im sorry its like that for you

Its a double eged sword though

Since Ive found the group of people I play with, (about a year ago) our winning percentage together is probably like 90%, it shouldnt be like that

Also, Im not nearly as good as I used to be in say, September, because I only play against decent competition 1/10 times

Im going to attribute most of it to the relatively poor player base of Reach at this point in time

Matchmaking isnt working if we are winning 90% of our games, hopefully new groups and new players will breed a better more evenly matched environment in Halo 4

p.s.
awesome rocket snipe :)

Woorloog

Banned
i remember it quite common at launch (or beta?), but then again, werent they slightly beefed in 3 after an update?

I don't know about the beta but Halo 3 had zero weapon balance adjustments after the launch. I saw a many people saying "it's (usually Brute Shot) been buffed/nerfed" even though no adjustments were made. The TUs for Halo 3 fixed some bugs and under the hood stuff and adjusted the melee slightly (afterwards only a large health difference determined whether only one or both would die, pre-TU it simply checked if one had more health than the other) but it didn't affect the balance otherwise.
Halo 2 did have weapon statistic changes.

Moa

When I play Reach, I play mostly Team Doubles, because you can get tons of perfections in that playlist. Once, we met a guy which had a K/D of ~7 and I was like "oh shit that's gonna be bad", but the guy was pretty bad (going -15), when I checked his profile it said he had a K/D of 7 in Invasion. He also had like 1000 total games and 800 were Invasion. True story. ;)

I tend to run Objective with a team, so easy to do good because of the ability to match people with three guests.

Sadly, no perfections :/

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Indeed, was fun.

Oh, oh, top of the page...watch this, awesome rocket kill.

I got one for ya like that but better. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9oOabEXAss&list=UUR_Gu9uB5kK78QuacYHONdA&index=38&feature=plcp

Then this one.

I wish I still had Halo 3.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DrVjSPN0Do&list=UUR_Gu9uB5kK78QuacYHONdA&index=37&feature=plcp

Yep, good games guys! Only that last game was bullshit.

Oh, and did anyone see Jen Taylors latest tweet? I'd link it but it probably would get me banned :p

Eh, we had it coming.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Yep, good games guys! Only that last game was bullshit.

Oh, and did anyone see Jen Taylors latest tweet? I'd link it but it probably would get me banned :p

PM me dat shiz. I don't think I'm following her on twitter.

That was a damn nice snipe, I forget how nice Longshore's 'hazy' aesthetics are.

Thanks man! Yeah, I really like that map, well I also like Avalanche, but I may be in the minority on that one.

Moa

I don't know about the beta but Halo 3 had zero weapon balance adjustments after the launch. I saw a many people saying "it's (usually Brute Shot) been buffed/nerfed" even though no adjustments were made. The TUs for Halo 3 fixed some bugs and under the hood stuff and adjusted the melee slightly (afterwards only a large health difference determined whether only one or both would die, pre-TU it simply checked if one had more health than the other) but it didn't affect the balance otherwise.
Halo 2 did have weapon statistic changes.

http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/Halo_3_Title_Updates

Didn't even remember TU1 to be honest, I still had this one happen to me after the TU:

Dying while performing a melee no longer accelerates a player's dead body over impossible distances.

I also re-call one of the bug fixes being to fix the infinite body falling bug on the Last Resort bridge or middle platform in Epitaph, that still happened too :/

Woorloog

Banned
http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/Halo_3_Title_Updates

Didn't even remember TU1 to be honest, I still had this one happen to me after the TU:

Dying while performing a melee no longer accelerates a player's dead body over impossible distances.

I also re-call one of the bug fixes being to fix the infinite body falling bug on the Last Resort bridge or middle platform in Epitaph, that still happened too :/

Yeah, same here. The physics bugs simply became far more rare after the TU, it didn't actually fix them.
EDIT yuck, Halo Nation. Use Halopedia.

Woorloog

Banned
Minority on Halogaf? I think a lot of people here love/loved avalanche.

Well, then i'm in the minority that hates (or just dislikes, not quite sure how i feel about it) it. It is a good vehicle action map... or would be, but all people do is to fight on foot in the middle tunnel. And then some idiot added Heavies to the game.
The one-sided Avalanche was very interesting idea, that both sides have different vehicles (UNSC vs Covies) but i rarely got to play that.
The map was too big as well.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Now I'm curious...

I censored it.
qKEib.jpg

I think the guy who found this stumbled across some Halo 5 concept art.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Think I'm gonna get on for some more if anyone wants to join me. I'm rusty, and I've been drinking, you've been warned.

GT: AlienShogun

Solo isn't that bad. You just have to learn to be ok with never winning, never scoring objectives, and being matched with full parties in every playlist you enter. But you can take satisfaction in being the only player on your BTB team to go positive or be the last player left on a team of quitters and jetpacking over the wall in Hemorrhage so the other team can't spawn kill you anymore.

Probably because I play at odd hours (usually just 2-5 games in a row) and I don't use a mic anymore (due to people usually sleeping when I play)

You are not alone bro.

I can ever play Halo solo, ever. If I don't have at least 1 other teammate that I know/can talk I just become extremely frustrated.

Computron

im sorry friend, nobody should have to play Halo solo

why do you put yourself through that punishment?

Halo isnt even the same game solo, I wouldnt play MM if I didnt have a handful of people/full lobby to play it with (anymore)

I mostly play Halo 3 nowadays and strictly play in BTB.
I have been for a couple months now, it's really fun, I wish more of you would play.

I only play solo around half the time, it's usually because it's late and I don't want to wake anyone up with mic chatter.
I dont want to invite someone only to be completely silent.

Also, Halo 3 BTB is better if you know you can quit at any time you want and not have to regroup and deal with a party.
This is partly because there is no broken quit penalty system where I get punished by having to sit through a boring game that gets ruined by other quiting jerks 2 minutes in like is so common in 3 and Reach.
Half the time, your team quits because there are guests and/or they're getting destroyed by a clan.
I can tell if a game is not going to be fun for anyone 2-5 minutes in, don't make me sit through that with the threat of a quit ban because those type of games are common in BTB matchmaking.
(I really wish that wasn't the case, BTB is the great gametype, but I see this drive a lot of players away from it)Otherwise, if it's not late at night and there is a (close-to)full BTB party's worth of people online in H3 (pretty rare), then sure I will play.

But yea, willow ve also is right, being the only competent player on your team and going super positive and just donging left and right on scrubs is fun.

willow ve

Well, then i'm in the minority that hates (or just dislikes, not quite sure how i feel about it) it. It is a good vehicle action map... or would be, but all people do is to fight on foot in the middle tunnel. And then some idiot added Heavies to the game.
The one-sided Avalanche was very interesting idea, that both sides have different vehicles (UNSC vs Covies) but i rarely got to play that.
The map was too big as well.

Avalanche was really solid for CTF. Although part of my brain is telling me that is just nostalgia for the old LAN days of CE at university and Sidewinder (still miss the series of teleporters around the edge and the indestructible warthog).

I strictly play in BTB.
I only play solo around half the time, it's usually because it's late and I don't want to wake anyone up with mic chatter.
I dont want to invite someone only to be completely silent.

This is pretty much what I do on Reach (although sometimes I'm feeling saucy and hit up Snipers or Anniversary). Occasionally you'll get a full team against 8 randoms. 7 of my teammates will quit (some at the lobby when they see inheritors! ZOMG!). By the time it's down to just me vs. the full party I make my own game of it and try to stretch the game out to the full time limit. I've gotten quite a few nasty messages during matches, but I'm having fun and not quitting... so that's what Halo is, right?

Computron

I am pretty surprised how many of you like Avalanche.

When was the last time you guys played that map?
You know how no one ever uses the middle and back half of boneyard?

Well, imagine they did, but they didn't reduce the size of the map to compensate.
That's avalanche in a nutshell, except there are only 2 places where you can realistically cross over to the other team's half of the map.
That coupled with how large the map is makes it so boring.
Maybe it's more fun if you got 2 really competent teams playing objective and really using vehichles, but I rarely ever get that combo in Halo 3 nowadays.
The score ends up being super one sided and there are a lot of quiters with that map, a lot more than a standoff or valhalla game.
It's got that in common with Hemorhage as well.

Computron

This is pretty much what I do on Reach (although sometimes I'm feeling saucy and hit up Snipers or Anniversary). Occasionally you'll get a full team against 8 randoms. 7 of my teammates will quit (some at the lobby when they see inheritors! ZOMG!). By the time it's down to just me vs. the full party I make my own game of it and try to stretch the game out to the full time limit. I've gotten quite a few nasty messages during matches, but I'm having fun and not quitting... so that's what Halo is, right?

I love it when my whole team quits and I am able to HLG and power-weapon-whore my way up to first place.

The other teams gets PISSED.

You know those guys who have to explain to their friends how they die EVERY SINGLE DEATH, in explicate detail?

"Oh my GOD, I shot him 4 times with the DMR, he just turns around point blank and melees me with the sword and my melee didn't register, this FUCKIN' host dude"

Yeah, nobody gives a fuck how you died man. Not interested in your life story, my nigga.

Fracas

#fuckonami
You know those guys who have to explain to their friends how they die EVERY SINGLE DEATH, in explicate detail?

"Oh my GOD, I shot him 4 times with the DMR, he just turns around point blank and melees me with the sword and my melee didn't register, this FUCKIN' host dude"

Yeah, nobody gives a fuck how you died man. Not interested in your life story, my nigga.

Lol that's pretty much me.

Homeboyd

I've played almost my entire halo career solo. I just hate waiting around on people and prefer just jumping into MM the little time I have to play. I mean, we're talking 95% of all my Halo MP games. I know, deplorable.

DeadNames

Banned

Yup.

That's me.

Disconect

Neo Member

Well that s me to!
Its a bad habit ,but you feel better after...

Anyone watch the Bonus Round on GameTrailers? Pretty good episode, check it out.

If anyone watches it though, try and see if you can make out what Geoff says about Halo 4 and 343 at like 6:47+. It's difficult to hear it clearly..

check this shit out... back button, X to toggle mute.

I've played almost my entire halo career solo. I just hate waiting around on people and prefer just jumping into MM the little time I have to play. I mean, we're talking 95% of all my Halo MP games. I know, deplorable.
That's basically me, plus solo ultra-competitive invasion play is DA SHIT

I enjoy playing alone as a camo player. Learning to use randoms as bait is a load of fun. :)

zap

I can ever play Halo solo, ever. If I don't have at least 1 other teammate that I know/can talk I just become extremely frustrated.

Ditto. If I get on and no-one else is on, I usually will just turn my xbox off again.

I enjoy playing alone as a camo player. Learning to use randoms as bait is a load of fun. :)

Ew.

Ugh, so I wasn't sure which city I was going to be in for Halo 4 launch, so I hadn't pre-ordered until I found out. I went in yesterday only to find the Limited Edition is already sold out :/ I'm pretty sure I could find it at other stores, but I want to go to the midnight launch.

I now have to find a person who only wants the standard edition and wasn't planning on a midnight launch, then swapping the LE for the SE in the morning :/

I guess the 'limited' is actually true this time around!

Top Bottom