• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

I think the reason why Warthogs can be particularly a problem on Tempest CTF is because there aren't any plasma grenades lying around. When you're waiting for the rockets to spawn and your team is having trouble with a Warthog, there aren't really any effective means to take it out. Yeah, sure, you have plasma pistols, but the Warthog's turret can still fire.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
BladedExpert said:
I was wary of that yesterday so I stopped playing at 990 kills. Got it today instead :D

Damn I still have like 600 kills to get I think. I want this challenge too.

kylej

Banned
xxjuicesxx said:
Ha I hit the weekly in one day of playing... too bad I hit it right when I hit the cap.

Blastin and relaxin' and the weekly wasted! Just my luck! :lol

That'll teach you to play a lot of Halo :lol I swear I'm going to start a blog that outlines a new perplexing Bungie decision every day.

Tashi0106 said:
Damn I still have like 600 kills to get I think. I want this challenge too.

Well I'll be running either Noble or TS all day after lunch so feel free to join.

BladedExpert said:
I was wary of that yesterday so I stopped playing at 990 kills. Got it today instead :D

How long did it take to rack up that many kills? I've been slowly hacking away at it all week and I'm at ~600. Granted I've had an awful week, but still.

BlueScrote said:
How long did it take to rack up that many kills? I've been slowly hacking away at it all week and I'm at ~600. Granted I've had an awful week, but still.

Been a busy week but I've had 3 or 4 nights to play. Played quite a lot of Multi Team and a lot of DLC playlist last night. Multi Team is good for 20+ kills a game I find.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Well, finally beat New Vegas, so I'll be back to playing Reach if anyone wants to get down when I'm on, unfortunately, now I'm sick though, ugh.

Gui_PT

Alienshogun said:
Well, finally beat New Vegas, so I'll be back to playing Reach if anyone wants to get down when I'm on, unfortunately, now I'm sick though, ugh.

That's what you get for playing New Vegas

Kay. I've adjusted the spawns for Team Slayer on Tempest and adjusted the weapons on the map. I put a sword the middle only because I figured out an awesome way to add it in. I suspect it won't fit the map, so I suspect I'm going to have to take it out. We'll see.

Dax01 said:
I put a sword the middle only because I figured out an awesome way to add it in.

I suspect sword in the stone?

Got the weekly yesterday and just wanted to state that I really like that as a weekly. I know we've had it before but it just works especially on a week when new maps come out. So good work Bingle!

As crazy as this may sound I could go for a "Kill 10,000 Covenant in FF Matchmaking" challenge. I say that now, but in a month when Bungie does it I'll probably be on here bitching about how unfair sword elites are or that none of the FF maps are fun anymore.

Are there map overviews (like the one in the OP for Noble Maps) for the original maps? I've asked this before, but I don't think I've gotten an answer.

Question for Discussion

What do you think was the design decision to change overtime from its style in Halo 2 to what it is now in Halo 3 and Reach?

Did the subject of having an overtime that disregards the fact the the player may still have the flag or the bomb in ending the game ever come up?

The current system in place seems to be a very bad cross between and overtime round and a sudden death period. The result is something that is in my opinion, the worst possible way to deal with overtime in objective. It is also my conclusion that this has been very detrimental to objective games and their popularity and fun since its introduction in Halo 3.

What are HaloGAFs thoughts on it?

Lead Based Paint said:
Question for Discussion

What do you think was the design decision to change overtime from its style in Halo 2 to what it is now in Halo 3 and Reach?

Did the subject of having an overtime that disregards the fact the the player may still have the flag or the bomb in ending the game ever come up?

The current system in place seems to be a very bad cross between and overtime round and a sudden death period. The result is something that is in my opinion, the worst possible way to deal with overtime in objective. It is also my conclusion that this has been very detrimental to objective games and their popularity and fun since its introduction in Halo 3.

What are HaloGAFs thoughts on it?

Was playing a custom game on a friends map helping him test it. We managed to kill the whole team and plant the bomb with 3 seconds remaining. I thought we were gonna get OT because we had it planted and just had to guard it but nope, we didn't even get OT and lost because of it. So yeah, I liked H2's system much better. Plus you don't end up with epic battles over a flag like you had in Headlong 1 flag, oh man, such good times with both teams rushing the middle. :D

I have been really enjoying the new maps.. Like a lot. For the moment Breakpoint has been my favorite.

So, speaking of Breakpoint, I was playing it yesterday and something amazing happened. My friend had the rockets and shot the enemy Banshee. At that exact moment we went to the black screen. When the game came back on we were greeted with something terrifying and beautiful. :lol

Ill upload a clip later.

CrazedArabMan said:
Was playing a custom game on a friends map helping him test it. We managed to kill the whole team and plant the bomb with 3 seconds remaining. I thought we were gonna get OT because we had it planted and just had to guard it but nope, we didn't even get OT and lost because of it. So yeah, I liked H2's system much better. Plus you don't end up with epic battles over a flag like you had in Headlong 1 flag, oh man, such good times with both teams rushing the middle. :D

Im just confused because we have never heard of any kind of explanation for its change from a seemingly perfect system.

The big problem from halo 2 was super bouncing with the flag or bomb and hiding until the other team quit; but in both Halo 3 and Reach, there has been no glitches or bounces that would lead to such a strategy.

Azar

The most frustrating thing about the Sudden Death setup is that it's possible to plant the bomb and then have the round end before it goes off. The Sudden Death period should really apply to a limited period of time you have to plant the bomb. If you get it in place, that should extend the timer again. When it's just a flat 30 seconds and it takes 10 or so for the bomb to go off, it's very nearly irrelevant.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Azar said:
The most frustrating thing about the Sudden Death setup is that it's possible to plant the bomb and then have the round end before it goes off. The Sudden Death period should really apply to a limited period of time you have to plant the bomb. If you get it in place, that should extend the timer again. When it's just a flat 30 seconds and it takes 10 or so for the bomb to go off, it's very nearly irrelevant.

I thought they just fixed that.

Azar

Alienshogun said:
I thought they just fixed that.
If they did, that's good. It makes sense to me that Sudden Death should continue indefinitely as long as you hold the object in your hand, and reset to a 5 second period whenever someone's in the vicinity. It worked perfectly in Halo 2 after they patched it, I think. My memory's hazy though so I might be wrong.

The only problematic thing I really remember is people contesting the flag on Headlong from the bottom of the base, but assuming Reach has no glitches like that it would make Objective a better experience. As it stands now, if the enemy team gets your flag at the end of the match, you can just let 'em have it because they won't have time to carry it across the map.

Raide said:
I actually love it for Invasion and Vanilla BTB.
I've made some adjustments to Breakpoint BTB (player, vehicle, and weapon spawns) to make it flow more like Halo 3's BTB. I'm hoping to get it tested out tonight.

Raide

Dax01 said:
I've made some adjustments to Breakpoint BTB (player, vehicle, and weapon spawns) to make it flow more like Halo 3's BTB. I'm hoping to get it tested out tonight.

I am up for that if you're testing it later.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
xxjuicesxx said:
It never fuckin ends! You play with GAFFERS the whole night and do pretty damn good and the first team game you go into with randoms BOOM http://www.bungie.net/stats/reach/gamestats.aspx?gameid=352854947&player=SometimesImEpic

WTF How are you all so bad!?
Randoms are by default bad.
Tashi0106 said:
I don't buy that if bloom were an option MLG would turn it off. V2 is wildly different from anything we've seen from MLG. Certainly not vanilla.
I just think the more competitive players would prefer the bloom gone cause it can be random.
Raide said:
I actually love it for Invasion and Vanilla BTB.
Maybe for Objective it can be good but personally I think its poor for Slayer.

I'm starting to warm up to cliffhanger. I kind of wish it came up more often and in more playlists.

I'm also starting to appreciate AR starts more and more. Not sure why, I think its because it puts more emphasis on finding weapons, even those that aren't 'power weapons'.

Raide

BlueScrote said:
I'm starting to warm up to cliffhanger. I kind of wish it came up more often and in more playlists.

I'm also starting to appreciate AR starts more and more. Not sure why, I think its because it puts more emphasis on finding weapons, even those that aren't 'power weapons'.

Most of the maps I build in Forge are based around classic AR starts and leaving weapons dotted around the map. I much prefer that style.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
the vehicle spam on breakout is annoying as hell, and that seems to be the only map people want to play today

Raide

op_ivy said:
the vehicle spam on breakout is annoying as hell, and that seems to be the only map people want to play today

Its really a matter of which team can control the vehicles. It does seem a little too quick for the bigger vehicles to spawn but it does give a loosing side at least some chance of fighting.

Raide said:
Its really a matter of which team can control the vehicles. It does seem a little too quick for the bigger vehicles to spawn but it does give a loosing side at least some chance of fighting.
On Breakpoint, in the hopes to align it more with traditional BTB gameplay, moved around the vehiccle spawns. I gave the main research facility area of the map to Red team and they have human vehicles, while on the other side of the map Blue team has Covenant vehicles. I put a tank on there but gave it a 180 second respawn time while the Wraith has a 120 second respawn time. I gave Red team three Warthogs and gave Blue team three ghosts; a banshee for blue team and a falcon for red team.

Of course, I'll likely have to tweak a lot of this out after customs tonight. I suspect I'll have to remove the tank and bring down the warthog and ghost number down to two each. Looking forward to seeing, reading, and hearing people's reactions though.

op_ivy

god i'm having such a miserable halo day. fuck this game, its going to give me an aneurysm :lol

Raide

op_ivy said:
god i'm having such a miserable halo day. fuck this game, its going to give me an aneurysm :lol

A few custom games with GAFers should sort that out. I tend to have the worst time with randoms. :lol

op_ivy

Raide said:
A few custom games with GAFers should sort that out. I tend to have the worst time with randoms. :lol

i think i need a break (and a beer) before i rage and break stuff. also, must not have enough halo gaffers on my FL, as i rarely see people online

GhaleonEB

Raide said:
I really think Breakpoint would play better without the Banshee. But then I think that of every map. :lol

The headshot Challenge generally gets me my dose of SWAT. Was able to knock it down in one game, thankfully - it was The Cage.

I'm on the march to Commander this weekend.

feel

Alienshogun said:
It was a pretty good game, silence heathen!
I popped the disc in for a few minutes the other day, and found the gameplay controls and mechanics atrocious. Every movement felt abrupt and awkward. Like as if I was playing some early debug version of a game. I'm too used to playing smooth moving/controlling games. The intro CGi looked like out of some psone game, and the introduction with the doctor and Good Springs (or whatever the place was called) is just boooooring and unexciting. But I loved FO3 back then, played for hundreds of hours and that was probably the same control/gameplay/camera wise, so I'll get back to this eventually, for now, it will stay on its case until I really have nothing else to play.

Alienshogun said:
This was both really impressive (offroad skills) and funny (the guy totally missing the warthog honking the horn right next to him in that unusual place for the longest time). :lol

Raide

GhaleonEB said:
I really think Breakpoint would play better without the Banshee. But then I think that of every map. :lol

I was wondering why the Banshee is so hated now. The only thing I could think of was the over-use of the alt-fire it has or maps not having enough anti-vehicle measures.

op_ivy

Raide said:
I was wondering why the Banshee is so hated now. The only thing I could think of was the over-use of the alt-fire it has or maps not having enough anti-vehicle measures.

i hate it because when the other team has it i feel like i'm the only one shooting it with a dmr, meanwhile when i have it the entire other team is constantly peppering me with shots. randoms suck so hard.

oh joy, breakpoint is voted for again! havent played this enough today

When we played btb slayer on breakpoint the guy in the banshee was spamming the spins and such so much, the banshee wouldn't even take damage. Also the guy who had laser would just chill on top of that central hill and spawn kill everyone. So as far as I'm concerned BTB slayer on that map is garbage.

GhaleonEB

Raide said:
Lock-on fuel rod. Most inexplicable change to the sandbox other than the shield delimiter.

Raide

GhaleonEB said:
Lock-on fuel rod. Most inexplicable change to the sandbox other than the shield delimiter.

Yeah, I thought that might be the main thing. I remember them actually being fun in Halo 2 and 3. :lol

Its nice for Banshee pilots to have something else but they gave them something way too powerful. Drop the lock-on ability would be the best change.

Top Bottom