• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
GG to Tashi, Miguelangelos, backflip, kylej and his ass-kicking friends. If you guys ever wanna play BTB just hit me up.

kylej

Banned
Plywood said:
GG to Tashi, Miguelangelos, backflip, kylej and his ass-kicking friends. If you guys ever wanna play BTB just hit me up.

Yeah dude. I'll be on for another loooong session after dinner so feel free to drop by.

Striker said:
If anything needs retired, it's The Cage. Pinnacle can offer modes in Team Slayer and Team Objective well. While the gameplay from Halo 2 isn't the same in this instance, your argument about the DMR being too accurate for the map is a bit silly. The BR in Halo 2 with hitscan was a godsend for good users. It didn't ruin the map one bit. I find the variety in AA's being a good change up for the map.
Not really. As argued before, the DMR is deadly accurate on a huge map like Hemorrhage, which would only make things worse on a map half the size of it like Pinnacle. It's insane accuracy forces players to the outside fringes of the map, which are nearly all narrow pathways. I can't really say that I've played a good objective game on it yet (3 Plots was okay, but I won't blame the map for that. Drop Shield in objective loadouts is just a wrong choice), so it may work better for those one-sided games. So far I'm just not enjoying how the map plays in the slightest.

I enjoy Pinnacle more with AR/Pistol starts than DMR starts. I don't like spawning and being pecked with DMR bullets after taking a few steps.

squidhands said:
Not really. As argued before, the DMR is deadly accurate on a huge map like Hemorrhage, which would only make things worse on a map half the size of it like Pinnacle. It's insane accuracy forces players to the outside fringes of the map, which are nearly all narrow pathways. I can't really say that I've played a good objective game on it yet (3 Plots was okay, but I won't blame the map for that. Drop Shield in objective loadouts is just a wrong choice), so it may work better for those one-sided games. So far I'm just not enjoying how the map plays in the slightest.

The problem with ascension* is there aren't enough avenues to get to other places on the map. A player must go out into the open. As a result they are either sniped or team DMRed in no time. Or it just becomes, like Shake posted earlier, a mexican standoff between the towers. Even worse still, if the opposing team is pretty good secures both snipes and the power weapons they can position themselves in both towers and just pick off the people spawning at banshee and shotgun. With shorter range weapons and less ammo in the snipes Ascension* would be much less of a pain in the ass to play.

*lol I keep pinnacle calling it by its old name, oops

Striker

The difference with the DMR/Halo 2 BR was range. The accuracy of the BR didn't weaken or hurt the map flow one bit, nor does the DMR in my view.

Also, as I said before, the Pistol/AR start on there is fairly good. You couldn't do that in Halo 2 with the SMG. You had to have BR starts on there in order to have a good match.

Striker said:
The difference with the DMR/Halo 2 BR was range. The accuracy of the BR didn't weaken or hurt the map flow one bit, nor does the DMR in my view.

Ascension sucked in h2 as well but people found it lulzy because of the Banshee being there.

Striker

Devolution said:
Ascension sucked in h2 as well but people found it lulzy because of the Banshee being there.
It wasn't nearly as good as Lockout, Beaver Creek, Ivory Tower, Turf, Sanctuary, Colossus, Burial Mounds, Midship, Zanzibar, Elongation, etc. but it still is a solid map for now. It was a map defined by the BR/Sniper Rifle, and that hasn't changed for Reach.

Striker said:
It wasn't nearly as good as Lockout, Beaver Creek, Ivory Tower, Turf, Sanctuary, Colossus, Burial Mounds, Midship, Zanzibar, Elongation, etc. but it still is a solid map for now. It was a map defined by the BR/Sniper Rifle, and that hasn't changed for Reach.

For the most part what I recall of ascension was people getting snipes, waiting for banshee spawn, and flying up into the big tower (I think there was a spot behind the small tower too), and sniping from the crevice. So meh. It was a map defined by banshee lulz if anything.

Kuroyume

Banned
Lock on isn't the only problem with the Banshee on Breakpoint or any other map. Assuming I ever use the Banshee, most of the time I don't even bother with lock on. The splash damage of the shot on the fuel rod cannon is ridiculous. Wipes out everything with ease. Not a fan of vehicles in general but I could deal with warthogs, ghosts, and the wraith on Breakpoint. The Banshee though has no place there and reminds me of the Scorpion on Hemmorrhage in the first few weeks of Reach. Also consider the stupid respawn times. Spend god knows how long to take one out only to see another pop up at a distance. Seeing as how the map spawns people all over the place one team can continually get them before the other.

Devolution said:
And it was always interesting to see who got to do one of the superjumps (there were two, IIRC) on the map.

Kuroyume said:
Lock on isn't the only problem with the Banshee on Breakpoint or any other map. Assuming I ever use the Banshee, most of the time I don't even bother with lock on. The splash damage of the shot on the fuel rod cannon is ridiculous. Wipes out everything with ease. Not a fan of vehicles in general but I could deal with warthogs, ghosts, and the wraith on Breakpoint. The Banshee though has no place there and reminds me of the Scorpion on Hemmorrhage in the first few weeks of Reach. Also consider the stupid respawn times. Spent god knows how long to take one out only to see another pop up at a distance. Seeing as how the map spawns people all over the place one team can continually get one before the other.

Very true.

Also I hate how there are plenty of safe places in buildings to spawn in much of the big team maps when vehicles are roaming. However, for whatever reason, much of the spawning is right out in the open. I never understood this.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
my bad luck continues as i'm matched against omelet, eazyb, and thermight! this is the hardest 7 wins ever :(

EDIT: holy shit, 2 games in a row!

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Kuroyume said:
Lock on isn't the only problem with the Banshee on Breakpoint or any other map. Assuming I ever use the Banshee, most of the time I don't even bother with lock on. The splash damage of the shot on the fuel rod cannon is ridiculous. Wipes out everything with ease. Not a fan of vehicles in general but I could deal with warthogs, ghosts, and the wraith on Breakpoint. The Banshee though has no place there and reminds me of the Scorpion on Hemmorrhage in the first few weeks of Reach. Also consider the stupid respawn times. Spend god knows how long to take one out only to see another pop up at a distance. Seeing as how the map spawns people all over the place one team can continually get them before the other.
Stop complaining and use Armor Lock to combat it.

That'll show those gameplay designers!!

IMO, the banshee problem on Breakpoint is highlighted not only by the presence of the fuel rod, but the spawn times as well. Doesn't help that a laser only spawns on one side of the map as well.

Yea what the hell is the spawn time on those Banshees in Brekapoint?

I feel like we played a game last night where I just spent the entire game DMR'ing them down. It wasn't even Halo it was like Duck Hunt 3d.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
xxjuicesxx said:
Yea what the hell is the spawn time on those Banshees in Brekapoint?

I feel like we played a game last night where I just spent the entire game DMR'ing them down. It wasn't even Halo it was like Duck Hunt 3d.

Only this time, the ducks hunt you!

Kuroyume said:
the map spawns people all over the place one team can continually get them before the other.
Yeah. Fuck that. Bunch of us spawn on the snow slope, enemies in the tunnel, we start heading to them. Rest of their team spawns on the snow slope just as we sprint down, slaughtering us.
RAGE.

Similar thing happened on the other side infact, by the flag/banshee.

Zeouterlimits said:
Yeah. Fuck that. Bunch of us spawn on the snow slope, enemies in the tunnel, we start heading to them. Rest of their team spawns on the snow slope just as we sprint down, slaughtering us.
RAGE.

Similar thing happened on the other side infact, by the flag/banshee.
Was this in BTB Slayer? That's one of the reasons why I adjusted the spawns.:lol

TheOddOne

wwXXW.png

FUCK YES! FUCK Pillar of Autumn. Thats all.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
op_ivy said:
my bad luck continues as i'm matched against omelet, eazyb, and thermight! this is the hardest 7 wins ever :(

EDIT: holy shit, 2 games in a row!
I should join up to shit on those scubs :p

neoism

Holy Shit AL is awesome when you(I) don't suck with it...:lol :lol Just time I used it the whole game. just got 32K on MT. I just stayed chill and didn't rush.... Got poppin in lockin too :D.. Whens customs?

NOKYARD

Louis Wu said:
The right/left melee disparity has been part of Halo since CE. (You could get an instant kill with a melee on the right shin - but not the left.)
I believe i know why it appears that way. The player's left shoulder and leg are in front of the player, rather than behind.

From my understanding, any hits outside of the player's 120° field of view would trigger an assassination. In all the examples i have seen intending to prove the difference between the right vs. left shoulder (or leg) the hit to the right shoulder was outside of the field of view, whereas the hit to the left shoulder was clearly within the field of view. If you compare the position of the hits relative to the weapon or helmet, rather than relative to the player model, this becomes quite clear.

kylej

Banned
Starting to really really feel this game. The maps aren't great but you just have to get into a groove with your shot. Let the rhythm hit 'em.

I'm starting another Noble party in 30 minutes. All are welcome.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
kylej said:
Starting to really really feel this game. The maps aren't great but you just have to get into a groove with your shot. Let the rhythm hit 'em.

I'm starting another Noble party in 30 minutes. All are welcome.
Then one day it doesn't click and you just wanna fuckin RAGE lol

kylej

Banned
Tashi0106 said:
Then one day it doesn't click and you just wanna fuckin RAGE lol

haha yeah Halo is always hit and miss. At least I'm having fun when I'm clicking now.

send jelyk a message for all who want to play.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Saw my first general with inclimate weather, wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Still, does that guy do anything but play halo?!?

Also, wtf with snipers being in the DLC play list. F that.

Gui_PT

Alienshogun said:
Saw my first general with inclimate weather, wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Still, does that guy do anything but play halo?!?

I saw a Hero and 2 Field Marshals today.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Alienshogun said:

Also, wtf with snipers being in the DLC play list. F that.

especially snipers on tempest where they remove my pistol :(

Falt

For some reason XBL won't let me send messages, Zeouter. Just working on the weekly, couple of games and I'll be done. Will join customs in about half an hour or so.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Devin Olsen said:
I like Halo as much as the next guy, but sheesh.

• 4,000+ Games
  • 318 Daily Challenges
  • 33.5 Days of Total Gametime (what the fuck)

C3E07E45-8839-4815-A29D-48EC3EB51795.png

B.Net Profile
Thats that #1 in the world dude.

I keep his profile in my Reach app just to see how progressively insane he gets. Every other day I refresh his progress and the motherfucker jumps in the amount of credits hes earned since.

Thanks for the invite Hydranockz, sorry I didnt accept, I just got Assassins Creed Brotherhood a day ago, kinda addicted, ill defo be back on Reach for next custom night, but im not sure I can play as late as I used to anymore.

GhaleonEB

Big thumbs down to the Invasion on Breakpoint. The opening salvo with Elites spanwing right next to Spartans on the hillside is just weird. It doesn't play out anything like I thought it would from the map flow. I think a good game type could be made from it but I really don't like the default setup at all. And since I don't like BTB on it (thanks to the spawns), I guess that's a thumbs down on Breakpoint as a whole.

MrBig said:
He's mad that we just camped him.
:lol

Nah. I just didn't like the setup.

MrBig

GhaleonEB said:
Big thumbs down to the Invasion on Breakpoint. The opening salvo with Elites spanwing right next to Spartans on the hillside is just weird. It doesn't play out anything like I thought it would from the map flow. I think a good game type could be made from it but I really don't like the default setup at all. And since I don't like BTB on it (thanks to the spawns), I guess that's a thumbs down on Breakpoint as a whole.
He's mad that we just camped him.

Kuroyume

Banned
Fucking sucks

My connection is complete shit right now, practically unplayable and I have to get like 300 more kills for the weekly.

Good, fun and chill custom games, thanks guys.
Dax01 said:
Was this in BTB Slayer? That's one of the reasons why I adjusted the spawns.:lol
Yeah. Dani did something similar on Tempest, also worked quite well.

Top Bottom