• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

4s1pht.jpg

:lol I had no idea this was listed in the weapons category. :lol

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Devin Olsen said:
The AR and the SMG both were geared towards the casual gamer... Hold down the trigger and with relatively little skill you will be able to nail your target.

Both of those weapons were forced down our throat in Halo 2, 3, and ODST.

Spawning with an SMG in Coag or an AR in Valhalla is something that cannot easily be forgotten.
So it's a versatile weapon, which many of the self proclaimed pros feel is inferior to their beloved DMR/BR. Are you mad not everyone's using the DMR or are you upset that the AR is a spray weapon and there shouldn't be any spray weapons that are actually advantageous in some combat scenarios?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
enzo_gt said:
So it's a versatile weapon, which many of the self proclaimed pros feel is inferior to their beloved DMR/BR. Are you mad not everyone's using the DMR or are you upset that the AR is a spray weapon and there shouldn't be any spray weapons that are actually advantageous in some combat scenarios?

Your picking a fight over his opinion of a weapon.

Regardless, I can't think of a single scenario in which the AR would be a better fit than the pistol/DMR, unless the persons aim is shit.

enzo_gt said:
I agree with this.

It needs to be there. Not in pro play of course but that is because anything other than pro play usually involves casual players.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
:lol :lol

Wait. I'm not saying I like AR starts. I still prefer DMR starts 100% of the time. All I'm saying is that they're not as bad because the magnum is secondary and if you run out of ammo in that magnum of yours, don't be afraid to show the AR some love. That's all.

GhaleonEB said:
Um. You left out Halo 1, which had exactly two weapons capable of headshots. The ratio of automatic/other to headshot capable weapons has been pretty steady through the entire series. Halo's combat has always been about more than landing noggin busters.
Halo 1 never had MM, so I never got the feeling of being force fed an AR.

Playing through Halo 1 you pretty much always had the pistol in your holster (few exceptions), but it was a far cry from what happened in Halo 2 and 3.

Grimm Fandango said:
Wow another all multiplayer dailies? Lame.

I like the win 10 games challenge because of its synergy with the weekly. The others are sort of ok...I never use the AR as a go-to weapon though so today may be a bit of a learning experience. Lately I've been trying to make my peace with it.

Also, can't fault Bungers for doing all MPs this week with the map pack and all. Maybe someday when they release the firefight map pack we'll get all FF challenges. And then when the release the DLC campaign expansion we'll be able to do all campaign challenges.

Quick note on Multiteam: can we all agree that if green team was just removed from the playlist entirely that it would be best for everyone involved?

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Alienshogun said:
That was funny as hell yesterday. Did you FS it? I'll render if you need/want to.

Nah I forgot to do it before I got off but it's ok. I like it better this way because you can hear my teammates. Thanks anyway.

Kuroyume

Banned
How is the AR versatile? Does it have some secondary functions that I'm not aware about?

The AR is a piece of crap. Useful because of the stupid range on the thing... You can snipe and kill people across Breakpoint with it easily, but it's crap because it's not fun to use. I don't want to use it ever. The bloom on the thing is incredibley generous. It may as well not be there. It was really strong and useful in the beta. People hardly touched it because they were trying out the other weapons. Bungie saw that and thought for some reason it was a power related thing and so they beefed it up and nerfed the pistol. It was a dumb move. People with the AR don't have to account for much compared to someone using the pistol. Unfair.

That's probably the biggest disappointment coming from the beta. Still, I use the pistol all the time but I wish it was like it was in the beta.

Tashi0106 said:
Great Yoink? Or Greatest?

A gentleman does not discuss yoinking in mixed company.

I applaud your skill. I particularly like that you are unkind enough to steal the kill but are somehow courteous enough not to splatter them both.

Kuroyume said:
How is the AR versatile? Does it have some secondary functions that I'm not aware about?

The AR is a piece of crap.

Edited to ask: how, in the face of so much misery and sorrow, Kuroyume has the will to wake up in the morning let alone start up Reach?

GhaleonEB

Devin Olsen said:
Halo 1 never had MM, so I never got the feeling of being force fed an AR.

Playing through Halo 1 you pretty much always had the pistol in your holster (few exceptions), but it was a far cry from what happened in Halo 2 and 3.
If you're referring to spawning weapons on 2/3, then sure. I may have misread your post, so my bad.

Kuroyume said:

The AR is a piece of crap. Useful because of the stupid range on the thing... You can snipe and kill people across Breakpoint with it easily, but it's crap because it's not fun to use. I don't want to use it ever. The bloom on the thing is incredibley generous. It may as well not be there. It was really strong and useful in the beta. People hardly touched it because they were trying out the other weapons. Bungie saw that and thought for some reason it was a power related thing and so they beefed it up and nerfed the pistol. It was a dumb move. People with the AR don't have to account for much compared to someone using the pistol. Unfair.

That's probably the biggest disappointment coming from the beta. Still, I use the pistol all the time but I wish it was like it was in the beta.
We get it, you don't like AL, you don't like bloom, you don't like Snipers, you don't like the AR...

oh wait... sorry.

"I'm a vocal defender of Reach".

Hydranockz said:
We get it, you don't like AL, you don't like bloom, you don't like Snipers, you don't like the AR...

oh wait... sorry.

"I'm a vocal defender of Reach".
Unless you complain about Reach constantly, or only issue complaints, you must defend it to the death!
Edit:
Bregmann Roche said:
Edited to ask: how, in the face of so much misery and sorrow, Kuroyume has the will to wake up in the morning let alone start up Reach?
It's a new trend that's been around since Halo 3. People play games they don't like to complain about them. I don't understand it, but whatever floats your boat I guess.

Yeah Amour lock. I havent a problem with it and I'm not using it, too. The only AAs that I'm using is sprint and evade. I do not need the other stuff.

Kuroyume

Banned
I don't like bloom? That's news to me. Pretty sure I'm indifferent towards it.

Anyway, so by your logic if I like something then I have to like every single aspect about it... Okay. :lol

Kuroyume said:
I don't like bloom? That's news to me. Pretty sure I'm indifferent towards it.

Anyway, so by your logic if I like something then I have to like every single aspect about it... Okay. :lol
Nah man, just try not to call every aspect you don't like a piece of crap and you will soon be on the way to forming an intelligent opinion on something.

Letters said:
TWO!! kills with it???

YOU FILTHY WHORE!!
I'd be ashamed if I didn't need all the kills I can muster. :lol

Edit: I'll be home in a couple of hours. If I see you online Ghaleon, I'll hit you up. I do love me some FF.

I don't mind AR but when a map like tempest has an ar/pistol start with long range precision weapons available, people are just going to take said precision long range weapons (I know cause I do) and use them. So it's like, why not even the odds and just give everyone a dmr/needle rifle on spawn.

My AR is down in 12th for my kills with weapons in Competitive. Tied with the Grenade Launcher. And it's only that high because of previous automatic weapons challenges.

zumphry

Banned
Dax01 said:
Unless you complain about Reach constantly, or only issue complaints, you must defend it to the death!

I'm really doing it wrong, since I complain the hell out of Reach (more so in game than on here), but still defend it.

50 AR kills in Competitive, 36 in Invasion. 86 too many.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Alienshogun said:
Your picking a fight over his opinion of a weapon.

Regardless, I can't think of a single scenario in which the AR would be a better fit than the pistol/DMR, unless the persons aim is shit.
Who's picking a fight? "It stands for everything wrong in Halo" is bullshit and hyperbole legitimized by the concept of opinion.

And one situation it always is better than the DMR is short range to mid-range w/o cover. Unless you hit every DMR shot in perfect succession (I assume all the MLG kidz think they do). Proven time and time again whenever I play. I don't care if it takes less skill, its simply better in those scenarios.

ACE 1991

So I really want to get into this game. I messed around a little during launch but haven't put much time into it. Is there a good group of gaffers that I can play with?

My AR is 5th. I can usually take people out who are using pistol with the AR since I love to shimmy and sidestep.

Kills : 514 (7%)
Deaths: 217 (5%)
Spread: +297
K/D Ratio: 2.37
Kills/Hour: 6.48
Deaths/Hour: 2.74

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
enzo_gt said:
Who's picking a fight? "It stands for everything wrong in Halo" is bullshit and hyperbole legitimized by the concept of opinion.

And one situation it always is better than the DMR is short range to mid-range w/o cover. Unless you hit every DMR shot in perfect succession (I assume all the MLG kidz think they do). Proven time and time again whenever I play. I don't care if it takes less skill, its simply better in those scenarios.

"Unless you hit every shot" isn't an argument.

The DMR is still superior just by base weapons ability alone, as is the pistol.

You don't get to say "well if you miss the other weapon is better," that's simply skewing things in your own light to validate your stance, and it's wrong.

The only time the AR is good is when you're in a pinch and are out of rounds, or you're terrible with the more precise weapons and need spray and pray.

Alienshogun said:
The only time the AR is good is when you're in a pinch and are out of rounds.

I'm actually gonna have to agree to disagree here. I've found many circumstances in which the AR was more useful. It's all situational though, and what kind of playstyle people prefer in a given set of circumstances. Sometimes a spray weapon is more useful when a team is turtling and you can't just pop off headshots given your position.

Finally looked up my weapon stats. Melee followed by DMR and Needle Rifle.

I think the thing that disappoints me the most is that I have no kills with the Ghost. I absolutely loved the Ghost in Halo 3, and sometimes I'd spend almost entire matches on it :lol Just a lot of fun to use.

Halo 3: 1,117 Ghost kills
Reach: 0 Ghost kills

:(

ACE 1991 said:
So I really want to get into this game. I messed around a little during launch but haven't put much time into it. Is there a good group of gaffers that I can play with?
Definitely. What region are you in? Sending an FR to the main bunch of posters (with a comment saying you're a gaffer etc) might be an idea.

Best bet is to join in on HaloGAF customs on Saturday nights (generally in the range of 1:30am GMT - 5:00am GMT), asking for an invite in the thread if you don't already have anyone on your list.

I wonder if falling damage stat is broken, it's only recording my deaths. I know for a fact I've killed people cause they fell off of a place after I fired at them. Or is there some other way to earn it?

MrBig

Devolution said:
I wonder if falling damage stat is broken, it's only recording my deaths. I know for a fact I've killed people cause they fell off of a place after I fired at them. Or is there some other way to earn it?
Those kills count as the weapon you hit them with before they fell.

Top Bottom