• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Alienshogun said:
"Unless you hit every shot" isn't an argument.

The DMR is still superior just by base weapons ability alone, as is the pistol.

You don't get to say "well if you miss the other weapon is better," that's simply skewing things in your own light to validate your stance, and it's wrong.

The only time the AR is good is when you're in a pinch and are out of rounds, or you're terrible with the more precise weapons and need spray and pray.
Have you ever been in an AR vs. DMR fight at short range? The AR wins consistently if the DMR shots don't hit, because the person is running, or bloom or what have you. I'm saying, because you have to pop off DMR shots at the fastest rhythm possible, which is much less likely because of the factors I've listed above, on average, the AR is much more formidable weapon.

At short range, the game is designed in such a way where the purpose of the AR is to be more functional than the DMR, and it does so. I think the "DMR is ALWAYS better" argument is pretty BS, because in actual play, it never turns out that way.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Devolution said:
I'm actually gonna have to agree to disagree here. I've found many circumstances in which the AR was more useful. It's all situational though, and what kind of playstyle people prefer in a given set of circumstances. Sometimes a spray weapon is more useful when a team is turtling and you can't just pop off headshots given your position.

This makes no sense what so ever, even in that situation the DMR makes a better skirmishing weapon than the AR.

enzo_gt said:
Have you ever been in an AR vs. DMR fight at short range? The AR wins consistently if the DMR shots don't hit, because the person is running, or bloom or what have you. I'm saying, because you have to pop off DMR shots at the fastest rhythm possible, which is much less likely because of the factors I've listed above, on average, the AR is much more formidable weapon.

At short range, the game is designed in such a way where the purpose of the AR is to be more functional than the DMR, and it does so. I think the "DMR is ALWAYS better" argument is pretty BS, because in actual play, it never turns out that way.

Yes, and I always typically win when I'm using my DMR/Pistol unless I'm outnumbered, and I'm sure most people here have the same experiences.

Again, you're using "if the DMR doesn't hit," which is a bullshit copout to try to get your argument to work. If they DO hit the DMR/pistol will win every time.

You also keep avoiding the fact I'm referring to the pistol as well.

Alienshogun said:
This makes no sense what so ever, even in that situation the DMR makes a better skirmishing weapon than the AR.

When people are spamming AAs and moving around a lot, a precision weapon isn't always your best friend.

I am great with the DMR but some close range situations it is not superb thanks to inconsistent bloom effects.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Devolution said:
When people are spamming AAs and moving around a lot, a precision weapon isn't always your best friend.

I am great with the DMR but some close range situations it is not superb thanks to inconsistent bloom effects.

Actually in close range bloom has the least effect.

When people are spamming AAs and moving around a lot it becomes harder anyway, the AR doesn't do anything better than the DMR in that position.

Alienshogun said:
Actually in close range bloom has the least effect.

But it's still there. I actually utilize it best at long range, maybe I know how to compensate for the bloom better at that distance, who knows. Either way I think many people are underestimating the use of the AR, which is fine if it doesn't fit into their playstyle, I'm just here to say it isn't complete shit like people keep whining about.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Devolution said:
But it's still there. I actually utilize it best at long range, maybe I know how to compensate for the bloom better at that distance, who knows. Either way I think many people are underestimating the use of the AR, which is fine if it doesn't fit into their playstyle, I'm just here to say it isn't complete shit like people keep whining about.

I don't think you are understanding me.

In close range the DMR's bloom literally has little to no effect on your accuracy on target, the closer you get the less bloom will effect your accuracy.

The AR isn't shit, but there is no need for it in the sandbox (except for terrible players) as other weapons including other starting weapons (the pistol) work better.

Alienshogun said:
I don't think you are understanding me.

In close range the DMR's bloom literally has little to no effect on your target, the closer you get the less bloom will effect your accuracy.

The AR isn't shit, but there is no need for it in the sandbox as other weapons including other starting weapons (the pistol) work better.

I think it's a great starting weapon (combined with the pistol) for a map like Ascension/Pinnacle actually. That map is one of the few in which DMR starts makes for a pretty boring standoff game. The issue here is bungie doesn't know when to include it and when to exclude it. But I have all kinds of issues with their playlist/gametype optimizations.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Devolution said:
I think it's a great starting weapon (combined with the pistol) for a map like Ascension/Pinnacle actually. That map is one of the few in which DMR starts makes for a pretty boring standoff game. The issue here is bungie doesn't know when to include it and when to exclude it. But I have all kinds of issues with their playlist/gametype optimizations.

You don't need AR starts to facilitate movement when there are other power weapons on the board. I like this argument the least when people try to defend AR starts.

Beginning with terrible weapons to facilitate map movement is not a good answer IMO.

Beginning with good weapons (DMR/Pistol), and placing BETTER weapons on the map is.

Then there is the fact that good players and good teams will automatically try to assume the dominant position on the map regardless of starting weapons.

Anyway, I'm done talking about this, it will only lead to a bunch of useless posts in this thread, and ultimately annoy the shit out of everyone.

Devolution said:
So I say the AR isn't complete shit. You say I'm misunderstanding you in another post. Then call it terrible here.

Dude I'm done arguing with you.

It is terrible, compared to the other weapons in Reach.

It isn't shit compared to OTHER ARs in the series. There is the distinction, anyway, yeah, I'm done discussing it too, as I just said.

Alienshogun said:
You don't need AR starts to facilitate movement when there are other power weapons on the board. I like this argument the least when people try to defend AR starts.

Beginning with terrible weapons to facilitate map movement is not a good answer IMO.

Beginning with good weapons (DMR/Pistol), and placing BETTER weapons on the map is.

Then there is the fact that good players and good teams will automatically try to assume the dominant position on the map regardless of starting weapons.

So I say the AR isn't complete shit. You say I'm misunderstanding you in another post. Then call it terrible here.

Dude I'm done arguing with you.

ACE 1991

Zeouterlimits said:
Definitely. What region are you in? Sending an FR to the main bunch of posters (with a comment saying you're a gaffer etc) might be an idea.

Best bet is to join in on HaloGAF customs on Saturday nights (generally in the range of 1:30am GMT - 5:00am GMT), asking for an invite in the thread if you don't already have anyone on your list.

I'm EST. My gt is: I ACE 1991 I. I'll try and hit up Saturday night customs next weekend.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Alienshogun said:
Yes, and I always typically win when I'm using my DMR/Pistol unless I'm outnumbered, and I'm sure most people here have the same experiences.

Again, you're using "if the DMR doesn't hit," which is a bullshit copout to try to get your argument to work. If they DO hit the DMR/pistol will win every time.

You also keep avoiding the fact I'm referring to the pistol as well.
So it appears the divide is in anecdotal evidence. I don't know how to word this to make you understand what I'm trying to say, since your thinking someone using the AR vs. someone highly skilled with the DMR is the metagame I'm talking about, which it's not, which I mentioned before. *shrug* The DMR is a great example of risk vs. reward implemented well in a game. I absolutely love it, but the risk vs. reward factor has so much smaller of a chance of resulting in reward if your using the DMR instead of the AR at long range. Consistency. Matters.

The pistol is a fantastic weapon -they all are- but the small clip size can be the downfall when you need to pop off shots quickly or the person is jumping/using AAs. If they gave it like 2 more bullets in the clip it would be god tier. I just can't take you seriously when you say it has no place in the sandbox. But alas I guess your done, so I'll cut it here too.

Also is this the first AR/DMR argument in OT3? Feels like it's been a while. :lol

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Wait, this achievement is a DOUBLE kill from the grave?!? How the fuck is that even possible?

I just wasted my time getting 3 kills from the grave in multi team wondering why I didn't get my achievement. Doh.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Alienshogun said:
Wait, this achievement is a DOUBLE kill from the grave?!? How the fuck is that even possible?

I just wasted my time getting 3 kills from the grave in multi team wondering why I didn't get my achievement. Doh.
Elite Slayer - Multi Team. Sticky before you die. I've got plenty there.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Thats the actual information status:
- Halo Nemesis is not the real Halo 4
- remake rumors are true: Nemesis is a mix between remake of halo:ce and events in johns past (flashbacks)
- the actual build was shown in germany at closed doors
- nemesis will be released on xblm in mid 11
- you will play john-117 (masterchief)
- you can switch into 3rd person mode (just like in bungies theatre mode)
- acutal demo contains three level, one of them is an unfinished version of silent cartographer
- in the acutal demo youre always wearing an old armor from johns past

From the latest steaming pile of shit rumours.

Dani said:
From the latest steaming pile of shit rumours.
Mmh. Could be true that 343i was showing a demo behind the doors because Ted from 343i was there. And I asked myself a lot why. But yeah maybe he was there to promote the 343i.

Dax01 said:
That would be cool if all of it were true. Frankie already shot down Nemesis as fake though.
Mmh. After Halo 3 had released Bungie said that they arent working on a new Halo Project. But yeah Halo Reach and Halo 3: ODST happen. Maybe I mixed some things.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Dax01 said:
That would be cool if all of it were true. Frankie already shot down Nemesis as fake though.
Sounds pretty uninspired if you ask me. I thought 343 was all about creating new and unique Halo experiences. Even sounds weird to put something like that out on XBLM instead of a disk.

enzo_gt said:
Sounds pretty uninspired if you ask me. I thought 343 was all about creating new and unique Halo experiences. Even sounds weird to put something like that out on XBLM instead of a disk.
Missions from John's past? I don't know how any one can see that as uninspired. *shrugs* Besides, I'd feel much better about a huge Halo game out of 343i if they eased into a franchise with a smaller game like a remake and something (like missions from John's past). Seems to be that would be the safer and wiser choice, as they can avoid some mistakes, have a better grasp of what they need to do and what they shouldn't do.

enzo_gt said:
I guess it would be the perfect proof to show if 343i could handle the Halo franchise.

Are there any particular tips/tricks about getting better with the sniper rifle? I am bloody awful with it. Practicing in Team Snipers does particularly help the problem, since the combat situations are so different than they are in a traditional slayer game.

Kuroyume

Banned
Halo Nemesis? :lol Seriously, if you're going to try and make some bullshit up at least make it believable. Halo Nemesis doesn't roll off the tongue easily.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Dax01 said:
Missions from John's past? I don't know how any one can see that as uninspired. *shrugs* Besides, I'd feel much better about a huge Halo game out of 343i if they eased into a franchise with a smaller game like a remake and something (like missions from John's past). Seems to be that would be the safer and wiser choice, as they can avoid some mistakes, have a better grasp of what they need to do and what they shouldn't do.
I guess it'd be more of a test of 343's capabilities but I doubt a massive budget would go into even a test game. The missions from John's past part is the only part that interests me. What I expected from 343 was something like a complete 3rd person action game, or a vehicle-focused action game, something outside the realm of FPS. I'm also one of those who isn't completely ready for a CE remake but I've already been grilled about that in other threads so I wont bore you with that.

Yeah I know Halo is so based on the FPS element, but the lore could be expanded on in so many ways outside of that. I loved the concept behind Halo Wars and it could have been absolutely PERFECT had they made it ground up for the PC from the start. They could have had more different kinds of units, eased so much of the UI troubles, and in the process could have introduced more intricacies to the fundamental combat system. And I have full faith that Ensemble could've pulled this off because they are my favourite RTS devs.

There are fears the Halo IP will be whored out my MS in the future, but I think much could still be done that isn't just rehashing what Bungie has built up upon till reach.

Imagine an action game where you follow the Arbiter's ascent up the ranks in the Covenant, culminating with the beginning of Halo 2, except the game is 3rd person and has you relying on your sword and a bunch of covie gadgets while you do the prophets bidding across the galaxy.

Imagine a Freespace mixed with Rogue Squadron esque kind of game where you take helm of UNSC vessels in an elite strike unit against the Covenant. Imagine being able to retrofit your vehicles with the latest UNSC technology as the war progresses. Vehicle design has always been a strong point of the Halo franchise, and that's what I'd love to see. Call it Crimson Skies 3 and it'll sell billions worldwide.

Imagine a third person shooter with RPG elements, placed completely in a persistent 3D online world. Reach has expanded on the specialized armor Spartan IIIs got a bit more but imagine if stuff was functional. Now imagine if you could just hop into a server and start rifling away at the large-scale war going on, across various battlefields in the Halo universe. Delta Halo, the newly formed Installation 04, or on Earth in Halo 2.

Imagine if 343 didn't do an FPS, and there was no pressure from MS to do an FPS.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
BlueScrote said:
Are there any particular tips/tricks about getting better with the sniper rifle? I am bloody awful with it. Practicing in Team Snipers does particularly help the problem, since the combat situations are so different than they are in a traditional slayer game.

firefight score attack, snipers.

neoism

Alienshogun said:

6rivba.jpg
:lol

Jesus christ I really want to give up on you guys sometimes.

Instead discussing things that are worthwhile and things that can actually be improved, we get pages of more ar dmr pistol bullshit and ignore everything else.

enzo_gt said:
I guess it'd be more of a test of 343's capabilities but I doubt a massive budget would go into even a test game. The missions from John's past part is the only part that interests me. What I expected from 343 was something like a complete 3rd person action game, or a vehicle-focused action game, something outside the realm of FPS. I'm also one of those who isn't completely ready for a CE remake but I've already been grilled about that in other threads so I wont bore you with that.

Yeah I know Halo is so based on the FPS element, but the lore could be expanded on in so many ways outside of that. I loved the concept behind Halo Wars and it could have been absolutely PERFECT had they made it ground up for the PC from the start. They could have had more different kinds of units, eased so much of the UI troubles, and in the process could have introduced more intricacies to the fundamental combat system. And I have full faith that Ensemble could've pulled this off because they are my favourite RTS devs.

There are fears the Halo IP will be whored out my MS in the future, but I think much could still be done that isn't just rehashing what Bungie has built up upon till reach.

Imagine an action game where you follow the Arbiter's ascent up the ranks in the Covenant, culminating with the beginning of Halo 2, except the game is 3rd person and has you relying on your sword and a bunch of covie gadgets while you do the prophets bidding across the galaxy.

Imagine a Freespace mixed with Rogue Squadron esque kind of game where you take helm of UNSC vessels in an elite strike unit against the Covenant. Imagine being able to retrofit your vehicles with the latest UNSC technology as the war progresses. Vehicle design has always been a strong point of the Halo franchise, and that's what I'd love to see. Call it Crimson Skies 3 and it'll sell billions worldwide.

Imagine a third person shooter with RPG elements, placed completely in a persistent 3D online world. Reach has expanded on the specialized armor Spartan IIIs got a bit more but imagine if stuff was functional. Now imagine if you could just hop into a server and start rifling away at the large-scale war going on, across various battlefields in the Halo universe. Delta Halo, the newly formed Installation 04, or on Earth in Halo 2.

Imagine if 343 didn't do an FPS, and there was no pressure from MS to do an FPS.
*shrugs* I would like a remake of Halo: CE. Also, out of all your ideas, none of the sound interesting or really strike me as "Halo" aside from the setting.

Lead Based Paint said:
Jesus christ I really want to give up on you guys sometimes.

Instead discussing things that are worthwhile and things that can actually be improved, we get pages of more ar dmr pistol bullshit and ignore everything else.

Start up a discussion about what you want to talk about. Complaining about complaining doesn't help either =p.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
This page so far up to post 33.

AR/DMR 30%
Halo: Bullshit Evolved 30%
Double Kill Achievement 15%
Other 13%
Snipers 6%
Gamertags 3%
Whining About the Thread 3%

Seems about right.

I had a nice random Yoink! moment but I didn't record it in 3rd person. You can't re-record a film clip unless you have the entire game right?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Dani said:

AR/DMR 30%
Other 13%
Snipers 6%
Gamertags 3%

Seems about right.
needs moar armor lock.

Louis Wu

Alienshogun said:
Are you seriously trying to make the argument that there are no circumstances in which the AR is a 'better' weapon to have in hand than a DMR?

That' idiotic.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Louis Wu said:
Are you seriously trying to make the argument that there are no circumstances in which the AR is a 'better' weapon to have in hand than a DMR?

That' idiotic.
And we're back at it! :lol

kylej

Banned
Dani said:

AR/DMR 30%
Other 13%
Snipers 6%
Gamertags 3%

Seems about right.

Do holier-than-thou Dani posts go in "Whining About the Thread" or "Other"?

Willeth

Dani said:

AR/DMR 30%
Other 13%
Snipers 6%
Gamertags 3%

Seems about right.
Wait, people are complaining about the double kill? What?

EDIT: Oh, from the grave. I thought you meant the shotgun one.

Alienshogun said:

Oh yeah. I got the achievement already :p

GhaleonEB

You know where Armor Lock is awesome? Firefight. Seeing a buddy surrounded by 20 dudes armor locking out of desperation and me managing to save his hide felt great.

I ran into a random in my first Firefight game this afternoon, and it was just the two of us on Courtyard. Had some wicked encounters, including one wave where drop pods dropped off two squads of high-ranking Elites, and then both Phantoms dropped off Elites as well. We got rocked so hard, it was comical. :lol

Not every day a random and I are talking strategy before a wave starts; neither of us wanted the Target Locator, preferring other weapons we had on hand. I was like, is this real?

We buddied up for the next game, and in that one picked up a third we kept for the next game (which was just the three of us) and had a great time. With both of us voting for regular Firefight, which is enough to guarantee it. I'll post a gaggle of highlights later.

We had one absurd wave on Outpost where both Phantoms dropped guys off in one location....there was just so many guys out there at once, the entire level was just pure anarchy.

Top Bottom