• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

blamite

Dax01 said:
It's gonna be sad when I can't go on Bnet and look up mah Halo stats.
I'm sure Bungie won't stop doing Reach stats, though? Yeah, we'll have to use Waypoint stats for the next game, but Bungie isn't handing off control of Reach's stat racking, are they?

ElRenoRaven

Dax01 said:
It's gonna be sad when I can't go on Bnet and look up mah Halo stats.

I'm with you on that. The day that Bungie.net gets that make over to focus on their new series is going to be a sad but happy day also. That I think more then anything will be the true changing of an era.

Speaking of that there are plans to of course create a new something something.bungie.org isn't there Wu?

blamite said:
I'm sure Bungie won't stop doing Reach stats, though? Yeah, we'll have to use Waypoint stats for the next game, but Bungie isn't handing off control of Reach's stat racking, are they?

Yes. That's why 343 is working on getting their stat tracking up to par. Bungie is in the process of handing over pretty much everything to 343.

Miggytronz

blamite said:

reread the posts on the last page. Also read Louis Wu's post.

So apparently there will be some kind of 10th anniversary Halo thing happening at PAX Prime (August 26-28). Possibly an announcement? I can't read the Waypoint press release from work, but that's what I hear on twitter/forums.

Anyone else from HaloGAF planning to go? I can't wait, PAX East was incredibly fun.

ElRenoRaven

ncsuDuncan said:
So apparently there will be some kind of 10th anniversary Halo thing happening at PAX Prime (August 26-28). Possibly an announcement? I can't read the Waypoint press release from work, but that's what I hear on twitter/forums.

Anyone else from HaloGAF planning to go? I can't wait, PAX East was incredibly fun.

I've always wanted to go to PAX and hell any big event like that but alas I've never been able to. That trend won't cease with this years PAX. I am always there in spirit though. I read and watch every thing I can get my hands on during that time.

blamite

I know 343's going to be taking over map development and playlist updates, but I didn't realize they'de be completely taking over stats. That'd be kind of sad if stats ended up completely being removed from B.net to Waypoint, although I can see it happening considering how uninvolved Bungie was in the Defiant map pack.

ElRenoRaven

Louis Wu said:
Of course.

Sweet. I can't wait. I'm sure it's going to be every bit as great as HBO is.

blamite said:
I know 343's going to be taking over map development and playlist updates, but I didn't realize they'de be completely taking over stats. That'd be kind of sad if stats ended up completely being removed from B.net to Waypoint, although I can see it happening considering how uninvolved Bungie was in the Defiant map pack.

You can check them from HERE too.

So you won't just have to go and load up waypoint to see them.

PsychoRaven said:
I've always wanted to go to PAX and hell any big event like that but alas I've never been able to. That trend won't cease with this years PAX. I am always there in spirit though. I read and watch every thing I can get my hands on during that time.
Yeah, this year I'll actually take my laptop so I can post news to HaloGAF (let's hit |OT7| before then). Posting impressions from a smartphone isn't easy.

Louis Wu said:
Of course.

Whoa, we all know Wu has the inside connections, Bungie's new game officially confirmed as Something Something™

:p

ncsuDuncan said:

I'm trying to convince my parents if they could lend me the money for the plane ticket(1070€). But the chances, that I'm there, are below 1% :(

I hope that Microsoft Germany has planned something for the GamesCom.

GhaleonEB

blamite said:
Microsoft wants Waypoint to be the core hub for all things Halo. It's hard to do that when a large chunk of the community is still visiting bungie.net for stats, news and updates.

It's a natural transition given that they don't own the IP and Microsoft is working on building the community up around their portal.

Soon enough Bungie will be announcing their new hotness, and they'll be anxious to focus on that, while Microsoft will be announcing their new Halo game. I'm guessing around the time those events take place, the split in ownership will be over.

ElRenoRaven

ncsuDuncan said:
Whoa, we all know Wu has the inside connections, Bungie's new game officially confirmed as Something Something™

:p

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

That would be hilarious if he did go and make SomethingSomething.halo.bungie.org just for shits and giggles. I'd so be laughing my ass off.

well if anyone is up for playing Classic or any playlist that isn't default Reach definitely send me an invite. If I'm on I'm pretty much willing to play Reach with people. Gamertag is the same as my name here.

Tunavi

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
Microsoft wants Waypoint to be the core hub for all things Halo. It's hard to do that when a large chunk of the community is still visiting bungie.net for stats, news and updates.

It's a natural transition given that they don't own the IP and Microsoft is working on building the community up around their portal.

Soon enough Bungie will be announcing their new hotness, and they'll be anxious to focus on that, while Microsoft will be announcing their new Halo game. I'm guessing around the time those events take place, the split in ownership will be over.
Ugh, I love Bungie.net's layout wayy too much

TheOddOne

Dani said:
2010-10-18-on-fps-fanbases.png
Hhahahahahhahahahahah.

GhaleonEB said:

Hmm, I wonder how the timing of that will go down:
- Bungie's best interest will be to announce The Next Big Thing Something Something™ at the same time they release all control of Reach. (or BEFORE, but not after. I don't think they want a limbo period where Reach is out of their hands and the fans don't have solid details on a new game to discuss).

- 343's best interest is probably taking over Reach at the same time they announce the next Halo. That way the b.net forum fans aren't as angry "Hey, you're stealing Reach from Bungie!" "Yeah, but that's because we're going to eventually release THIS:" *Halo 4 Teaser*

So could we get one huge event where Reach control is handed over as 343 and Bungie both announce their next games? On the other hand I could see them not wanting to step on each other's toes (or not worrying and just planning that stuff separately).

GhaleonEB

It's a scene from Halo: ODST, in the nighttime hub. They're just showing a look at the video player.
PsychoRaven said:
Yea but what are the odds they'd use that scene. Focus on the word in the background.
That's what we thought when the Halo 3 Believe campaign was launched, too. Still makes me smile every time I see stuff like this.

(I'd thought you were asking what it was from, my bad.)

ElRenoRaven

GhaleonEB said:
It's a scene from Halo: ODST, in the nighttime hub. They're just showing a look at the video player.

Yea but what are the odds they'd use that scene. Focus on the word in the background.

GhaleonEB said:
(I'd thought you were asking what it was from, my bad.)

Oh it's all good. I regularly am unable to clearly put my thoughts into writing so I edit my posts. At the time you read my post I was probably putting in the little added line to clarify what I meant.

PsychoRaven said:
B=2
E=5
L=12
I=9
E=5
V=24
E=5

5*3+12+2+9+24=62! Does the new Halo Game get a announcement in 62days?! BELIEVE!

Willeth

Hypertrooper said:
B=2
E=5
L=12
I=9
E=5
V=24
E=5

5*3+12+2+9+24=62! Does the new Halo Game get a announcement in 62days?! BELIEVE!
Six plus two is eight! And eight on its side is the infinity symbol!

Bungie contracted for multiplayer on BioShock Infinite confirmed

TheOddOne

Hypertrooper said:
B=2
E=5
L=12
I=9
E=5
V=24
E=5

It all makes sense now! Huzzah!

More fuel for the fire: David Ellis says "PAX prime should be a lot of fun this year." Che Chou replies "10 years!". #Randomtwittercomment

t1HUEmaB7y.gif

Yo Ram what were you saying about guests having their own playlist?

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/GameStats.aspx?gameid=567629100&player=The Henery

No, seriously though, I knew the game was lost in the pre-game lobby. Playing splitscreen in this game is much harder than Halo 3, something was changed with the depth perception and you literally have to scope to see enemy's past a certain distance.

They were on a quarter screen. On Hemorrhage. Guests flat out have no business in a playlist such as team snipers.

On a more positive note, the withdrawal of Pinnacle is good for avoiding the quit ban and team classic is absolutely fantastic. Yes the nades are too powerful but it's a minor quibble considering I feel like i'm playing Halo again and actually having that excitement to load the game up in anticipation of that, so props to Bungie on implementing it.

LosDaddie

Banned
Mikasangelos said:
I stick with Classic playlist mostly as well. If i have a BTB group then its Community BTB. Me and my friends actually enjoy those maps.

Sorry I didn't join you guys last night. I was only on Reach to get the one MP challenge done and that was it. I'll probably be playing Reach this weekend though. I'm just....still working through my backlog. Otherwise, I'd be playing almost every night.

it's worth pointing out that MS has always managed to have Halo get a huge presence at PAX Prime, every year.

I wouldn't expect an announcement. PAX rarely gets announcements, but what they do get is expanding and exploring stuff that's been previously announced. It's sort of a "Get To Know Your E3 Games" type deal.

I'm still putting big money on announcements at E3, with most cards tight to their chest til PAX. We'll almost certainly have a new map pack playable on the floor there.

So is the confidence still strong for a CE remake this fall or did that kind of die off? I assume silence from 343i is a plus, but it seems like all the sources have been really sketchy.

GhaleonEB

Genesis Knight said:
So is the confidence still strong for a CE remake this fall or did that kind of die off? I assume silence from 343i is a plus, but it seems like all the sources have been really sketchy.
They have some content planned for the fall. Might be a Halo remake, might be a big map pack of remakes, who knows. But I'm guessing we'll be playing something new on the anniversary.

Tip for the 40k Firefight Challenge today: 2X Score Attack on Beachhead. Rock the DMR, get a lot of multikills, you'll get one or two Wraiths at the end, and if you're lucky a four pack of Elite Ultras, who are practically bursting with points. (I came very close on Corvette, as well - if a Wraith had shown up at the end that would have done it.) I went and looked back on my scores in Firefight and found the modes where I'd cleared 40,000, and that was the easiest one.

Fun challenge.

I've gone to PAX every year for the past six, and you can bet I'll be there this year. :D

Mikasangelos said:
At what point will BUNGIE discontinue web support for Reach and let 343i take it over?

Hopefully never. They have build the bnet stats functionality up over years and it is awesome. I don't see why they need to ever drop that part of support.

wwm0nkey said:
Halo 2 Warthog Wars > Halo 1 Warthog Wars.

Not even close, though Halo 2 tank flipping was a blast, the Halo 1 physics that allowed your hog when you smashed into someone to blast off like a rocket into the sky was so much fun.

ElRenoRaven

wwm0nkey said:
Halo 2 Warthog Wars > Halo 1 Warthog Wars.

HERETIC!!!!!!!!!!!! BURN THE HERETIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You are fucking nuts. The one big thing that has never been the same was the physics. Halo's physics were a billion times more fun then any other Halo game. The lack of a laser and crazy rocket lock on helped it be even better too. Those to me were the biggest 3 mistakes made with Halo's Multiplayer in the other games. Mind you that I still love the other games multiplayer. Just not as much as I loved Halo CE multiplayer wise.

Top Bottom