• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT: Anniversary| So fades the great harvest of our betrayal.

Woorloog

Banned
That definitively reminded me of Terminal... very similar places.
Perhaps it won't be a carbon copy but it is probably inspired by Halo 2 Terminal?

Woorloog

Banned
Well given how "ineffective" human weapons were at fighting the flood (single shot weapons in particular) I wouldn't imagine he'd go in with a DMR. I wonder what point in time those screenshots are from.

Eh? Human single-shot weapons, aside from the sniper rifle are good against the Flood, especially for popping the Infection Forms.

Who says they're expecting Flood (if the Flood are in this)? It's a Ridley Scott production. The humans will be unprepared, under armed, and ready to go from standard worker to badass action hero. And I love it.

nillapuddin

Well, it's Killzone, so...

yeah.. and, doesnt mean they couldnt borrow familiar geometry for a free map?

That definitively reminded me of Terminal... very similar places.
Perhaps it won't be a carbon copy but it is probably inspired by Halo 2 Terminal?

even with the Train aside, I thought a few of those rooms looked pretty familiar..

but again, could just be a weird thing with word association

Mistel

Banned
Yeah, lets fight the flood without armor at all.
Well with armor you might end up like the Elite who got torn open from the inside.
Well given how "ineffective" human weapons were at fighting the flood (single shot weapons in particular) I wouldn't imagine he'd go in with a DMR. I wonder what point in time those screenshots are from.
Like Woorloog said they have never been ineffective against the flood except for possibly the sniper.
Yeah, I don't get that statement. DMR is great against Flood forms. Spores are the only pain in the ass.
The DMR has never been in a game with actual flood forms other than the simulation ones in 4.

heckfu

Banned
hey guys,
anyone have an extra xbone code or two for destiny? (preferably two).
willing to trade a couple ps4 codes!

thanks,
lil fu

daedalius

Well with armor you might end up like the Elite who got torn open from the inside.

Like Woorloog said they have never been ineffective against the flood except for possibly the sniper.

The DMR has never been in a game with actual flood forms other than the simulation ones in 4.

Sniper is awful vs flood in CE, I guess its decent in 2 and 3 if you manage to snipe the infection form out, but then another one can just crawl in!

I believe the Pistol is supposed to have explosive rounds in CE, and I think the BR has something similar; both seem to be decently effective against the flood. They obviously need to get Bolter tech :) (40k reference)

Could have sworn the DMR was in 3... I may be wrong though.

DMR was definitely not in 3.

Woorloog

Banned
even with the Train aside, I thought a few of those rooms looked pretty familiar..

but again, could just be a weird thing with word association
It could be but the rooms... that workshop? And those... what, ticket-gates?

Pretty sure the human sniper is simply too powerful against the Flood. The Flood-mutated tissue isn't apparently as dense (though the Flood can be strong so this is odd), and the very fast saboted penetrator round simply goes through them without much effect. A different type of bullet could work better probably.
Pretty sure armor piercing rounds can go through humans without much damage in some cases... It may be odd but higher power doesn't necessarily mean more destructive.

-Ryn

Banned
Eh? Human single-shot weapons, aside from the sniper rifle are good against the Flood, especially for popping the Infection Forms.

In the game yeah they work enough but lore wise weren't they ineffective because of how the flood mutated the biomass? I could be wrong but the only effective way to keep them down was with weapons that could deal a lot of damage quickly like the shotgun or explosives. Single shot weapons meanwhile wouldn't do enough damage per shot rendering them less effective especially against the swarms of flood.

In terms of gameplay the Sniper was never good against them and I assumed it was because it just passed right through them. Even the CE pistol which had exotics rounds took a few shots to put them down.

Fuchsdh

It could be but the rooms... that workshop? And those... what, ticket-gates?

Pretty sure the human sniper is simply too powerful against the Flood. The Flood-mutated tissue isn't apparently as dense (though the Flood can be strong so this is odd), and the very fast saboted penetrator round simply goes through them without much effect. A different type of bullet could work better probably.
Pretty sure armor piercing rounds can go through humans without much damage in some cases... It may be odd but higher power doesn't necessarily mean more destructive.

There's all the grumbling in the modern military about how jacketed rounds are more likely to cleanly pass through your enemies as opposed to deforming, exploding, or bouncing around and dealing a lot more damage.

I always attributed the greater strength of Flood forms to in part be due to a complete disregard for longevity--they hit as hard as they can, and don't care if they wreck the host.

I dunno how I felt about the changes to the Flood in Halo 3 --having melees be effective against them (which makes sense to a degree) made close encounters feel less dangerous, although I liked the insta-conversion and fact that you could snipe infection forms but other forms could then revive the bodies. Going back to play CE always feels a little cheap these days because they will randomly get up and attack again.

And yeah, there's zero clues about Flood being in Nightfall. I entertain it as a possibility because a damaged Halo could imply the original Halo installation, where we know there were ONI vessels shortly after PoA discovered it. If it's another Halo--plenty of other Flood to release. Finally, we've seen the Covenant, and I think Flood would be something new, something interesting, something more fitting of the "deeper danger" mentioned in the log line:

A strange and treacherous world exposes elite UNSC operatives to a much deeper danger.

And not to mention Flood, even done well, could potentially be a lot cheaper to realize on a smaller budget.

Omni

IIRC didn't 343 GS comment on how all human weapons were ineffective against the Flood? Not just single shot. Obviously not gameplay wise but 'canonically'

Mistel

Banned
IIRC didn't 343 GS comment on how all human weapons were ineffective against the Flood? Not just single shot. Obviously not gameplay wise but 'canonically'
"Puzzling. You brought such ineffective weapons to combat the Flood, despite the containment protocols."

Fuchsdh

Well, when a Forerunner alternative would be "shoots massive blob of explody stuff that breaks off into more explody bits that incinerate everything they touch" I'd say they come off a tad weak.

H4-IncinerationCannon.png

(It was an interesting touch, but I believe the Halo 4 Visual Guide states the Incineration cannon was used for clearing large Gravemind-ish Flood infestations, which makes sense.)

I wish 343i had given the Forerunner a more blue motif. I understand the color coding thing, but the blue looks better. I also preferred the textured steel architecture over the current chrome.

Fuchsdh

Dammit, nothing's appeared in my inbox yet. Not in spam either. Le sigh...

EDIT: Lol literally one second after I post. Awesome.

FyreWulff

If anyone has a spare 360 code so that I could check out what it looks like on that platform, I'd like to have one.

Of course, lower priority than someone who just has a 360 and hasn't played beta/alpha yet.

Alright! Got my codes, downloading now. Giving away the other two, shoot me a PM.

I'd be down to play with you guys when the download finishes, but with my connection speeds, that's probably not going to be for a while :p

EDIT: Orrrrr maybe not, since it claims to be ready to play at 2%.

Fuchsdh

I'll be playing 360 Destiny tomorrow and definitely this weekend, provided I get my work done.

Fyre need to see if anyone at FUD needs it but I should have a spare code. If you don't get one from someone else sooner should know in a day.

Top Bottom