• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT: Anniversary| So fades the great harvest of our betrayal.

Woorloog

Banned
That's what I was doing I'm too slow.

Good to know people know that trick. It doesn't feel like cheating then.

Hmm. I can try GTA Online... didn't even remember i had the game. What else i have i haven't played...

EDIT actually, this gives me some reasonable reason to get Xbone, kind of. The sub works on both platforms, right?
Now if i could actually afford the console and it were cheap enough...

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Is Super Time Force good?

Ah, who am I kidding. I don't have any money.
I've only played the first few levels and I don't like it sooooo much, but I haven't given it a fair shake. A lot of people really love it.

Oh gosh I'm bored with my Xbone already. Finished Tomb Raider, played a bit of Forza and eh. No wonder people aren't buying them. Current game library sucks

Very excited for this collection. It'll give me a reason to retire the 360. And I'm really hoping they have some kind of fancy edition with a metal case or something. Default Xbone game cases feel flimsy and cheap

Grab the GwG for this month, as well as KI. Can't argue with free.

Madness

What were the prizes?

Also, Nightfall we get for free with the MCC, but for those who won't have the game, how would they watch it? YouTube?

Mistel

Banned
Hmm. I can try GTA Online... didn't even remember i had the game. What else i have i haven't played...
If you're going to play GTA Online I can give you a car if you like as upgrades are level locked. So you could have any car you want as long as it's not high end or dlc with upgrades like: bullet proof tires, armor, performance upgrades etc.
I'm on my phone. No way could I get any of them :/
I'm on my laptop and I couldn't do it fast enough.

Woorloog

Banned
If you're going to play GTA Online I can give you a car if you like as upgrades are level locked. So you could have any car you want as long as it's not high end or dlc with upgrades like: bullet proof tires, armor, performance upgrades etc.

You can still steal cars, right?
That's what i did in the single player, i never bothered with bought cars... Walking to a garage wasn't interesting.

And this makes me realize how it bothered me you couldn't hijack vehicles in Destiny.
Probably one of the best additions to a shooter ever, IMO. Brilliant feature, so much fun.
Unfortunately in Reach and Halo 4, hijacking tanks results often in their destruction as meleeing causes damage on them too much, unlike in Halo 3.
Would like to return to Halo 2-like "can't damage vehicles with hijack-melee".

That's what i did in the single player, i never bothered with bought cars... Walking to a garage wasn't interesting.

And this makes me realize how it bothered me you couldn't hijack vehicles in Destiny.
Probably one of the best additions to a shooter ever, IMO. Brilliant feature, so much fun.
Unfortunately in Reach and Halo 4, hijacking tanks results often in their destruction as meleeing causes damage on them too much, unlike in Halo 3.
Would like to return to Halo 2-like "can't damage vehicles with hijack-melee".

Yeah, agreed. By the time you've peeled them out of the tank, it's half dead. Honestly, vehicles should be tougher in general. Grenades and melee alone shouldn't be enough to deal with them, IMO.

Woorloog

Banned
Yeah, agreed. By the time you've peeled them out of the tank, it's half dead. Honestly, vehicles should be tougher in general. Grenades and melee alone shouldn't be enough to deal with them, IMO.

Halo 3-like vehicles were great, indestructible if manned unless the crew dies.
Hell, their power was great, very powerful, important for map control but so were the power weapons powerful and important.
Of course, toning down PWs to make infantry combat better is ok (they are currently too powerful and common me thinks), and if so, the vehicles need a slight reduction in power too.

Mistel

Banned
Oh you can still steal it you will loose it and you cannot insure it so you're out of luck when someone decides to murder you. Or send mercenaries or sets a bounty on you.

Anyway you get a personal car given to you at the start and the whole car ownership thing is a bit different to single player. You can get it delivered to you via the mechanic.

Grenades, to a degree yes. Melee no. It's tough to take down a vehicle with no power weapons. Grenades really help.
This is all ignoring overcharged pistols btw.

Woorloog

Banned
Oh you can still steal it you will loose it and you cannot insure it so you're out of luck when someone decides to murder you. Or send mercenaries or sets a bounty on you.

Anyway you get a personal car given to you at the start and the whole car ownership thing is a bit different to single player. You can get it delivered to you via the mechanic.

Did i mention i have a tendency to drive off-road in sports cars? And do all sorts of dumb stuff anyway.
Ah, well, we'll see what happens once i get around testing the game.

Grenades, to a degree yes. Melee no. It's tough to take down a vehicle with no power weapons. Grenades really help.

Frags are anti-personel, plasmas are anti-vehicle. Well, better at those roles at least, both are multipurpose of course. EDIT just don't make the grenades too good but let them do full damage against vehicles, i'd imagine they will do just fine.

Halo 3-like vehicles were great, indestructible if manned unless the crew dies.
Hell, their power was great, very powerful, important for map control but so were the power weapons powerful and important.
Of course, toning down PWs to make infantry combat better is ok (they are currently too powerful and common me thinks), and if so, the vehicles need a slight reduction in power too.

I think it might be better to try and tune power weapons to be less effective vs. infantry without reducing their anti-vehicle effectiveness; the Inferno cannon was a big offender in this regard, being too good at anti vehicle and anti infantry. Also, throwing a vehicle that specializes in hunting other vehicles (maybe a gunship with a Spartan Laser instead of rockets?) into the sandbox would be pretty cool.

I guess. Isn't that kind of what boarding is for, though? ATM, vehicles feel a little too vulnerable. Plus, it's always bugged me conceptually that anti-infantry ordinance is so good at disabling vehicles.

Woorloog

Banned
I think it might be better to try and tune power weapons to be less effective vs. infantry without reducing their anti-vehicle effectiveness; the Inferno cannon was a big offender in this regard, being too good at anti vehicle and anti infantry. Also, throwing a vehicle that specializes in hunting other vehicles (maybe a gunship with a Spartan Laser instead of rockets?) into the sandbox would be pretty cool.

The problem with tuning weapons against specific targets is problematic.

But not impossible... Hmm.
Let's see. The human sniper could do damage against Ghosts and Mongooses as it is anti-materiel rifle and those are light vehicles. Just no sniper damage vs other vehicles.
The rocket launcher could be tweaked to fire rockets with small-to-none blast radius, make them anti-vehicle rockets. Speed may be need to be increased?
The laser is all-around PW.
The rest... don't have ideas. It is hard to explain why a Fuel Rod wouldn't damage a vehicle as much as it damages a Spartan.

The problem with tuning weapons against specific targets is problematic.

But not impossible... Hmm.
Let's see. The human sniper could do damage against Ghosts and Mongooses as it is anti-materiel rifle and those are light vehicles. Just no sniper damage vs other vehicles.
The rocket launcher could be tweaked to fire rockets with small-to-none blast radius, make them anti-vehicle rockets. Speed may be need to be increased?
The laser is all-around PW.
The rest... don't have ideas. It is hard to explain why a Fuel Rod wouldn't damage a vehicle as much as it damages a Spartan.

I've been toying with the idea of what it would mean to introduce Armor Value and Armor Penetration into the series, a la some tabletop wargames. To go off your examples (and I'm kind of spitballing here):
The Sniper hurts ghosts and mongooses because their AV is lower than its AP; against tanks, it bounces off because the reverse is true. Against (say) a Warthog, it does reduced damage, since the AV and AP would be equal.
Reduce the Rocket Launcher's blast, up the speed, and give it a high AP so it can do full damage to anything.
Splaser stays more or less unchanged; it's tough enough to get the most out of it as is. It'd be differentiated from the Rocket by going through anything that isn't a building, having the charge time, and being hitscan.
Fuel Rod Cannon, for instance, could have a mid range value AP. So it'll hurt anything, but it won't do as much damage as the Rocket launcher.
Inferno Cannon (if it stays) would be made into more of a dedicated anti-infantry power weapon. The main impact (little to no blast) would have a decent AP value, but the secondary explosions would only be able to hurt infantry, and you'd need to be caught in two of them to be killed from full shields.

http://youtu.be/XgAZ04htM0E

Reach 2 montage. I wasted time making it, someone watch it. :|

Maximising your golden gun profits there, nice job. Most of the time I activated my super in the wrong scenario.

MCC talk: distress signal to Tashi/Ghost/Bravo - please try and swing an MLG playlist into Halo 3 or at least a list sans radar. I love the game but I don't think I can go through 4's with radar and AR's again. Also, snipers at some point would be delectable.

jem0208

I've been thinking about what ntkrnl said regarding the Halo 5 beta.

He said there would be 6-8 maps, 2 of which are arena maps and 2 of which are forge. He also says the maps will be huge.

First off, that is a hell of a lot of maps. Betas don't generally contain more than 2 or 3 maps, which is usually just under or around a quarter of the total number of maps. Are we going to be playing on most of the maps in the final game or is it implying that 5 will be shipping with a ton of maps?

Secondly, why the distinction of "arena" maps? Is that implying a map more similar to regular Halo size rather than "huge"? Or is it a completely different style. Maybe arena maps are what we saw in the teaser with the whole man cannon spawns and scoreboards. If that's the case, are arena maps going to have significantly different gameplay in any way? Would this be a good or a bad thing?

I kinda hope arena maps are very infantry focused then the other "huge" maps are designed around large scale vehicle use. That could be interesting.

Woorloog

Banned
I kinda hope arena maps are very infantry focused then the other "huge" maps are designed around large scale vehicle use. That could be interesting.

Just don't segregate BTB to some kind of "casual crap" playlist.
I want the same standard rules across the board.
Also ranked BTB would be nice. Not that i care for ranks anymore much.

Also want smaller maps with vehicles, Halo 3-like. I hated it how Reach and 4 didn't have vehicles in small-scale games at all.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Also want smaller maps with vehicles, Halo 3-like. I hated it how Reach and 4 didn't have vehicles in small-scale games at all.
Yeah, I'm generally a no vehicles kinda guy, but I missed those kinds of maps sometimes, too.

Ramirez

Maximising your golden gun profits there, nice job. Most of the time I activated my super in the wrong scenario.

MCC talk: distress signal to Tashi/Ghost/Bravo - please try and swing an MLG playlist into Halo 3 or at least a list sans radar. I love the game but I don't think I can go through 4's with radar and AR's again. Also, snipers at some point would be delectable.

Thanks. Can't tell you how many times I died though, only to see my super unused, which would have completely changed the situation, lol.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I've been thinking about what ntkrnl said regarding the Halo 5 beta.

He said there would be 6-8 maps, 2 of which are arena maps and 2 of which are forge. He also says the maps will be huge.

First off, that is a hell of a lot of maps. Betas don't generally contain more than 2 or 3 maps, which is usually just under or around a quarter of the total number of maps. Are we going to be playing on most of the maps in the final game or is it implying that 5 will be shipping with a ton of maps?

Secondly, why the distinction of "arena" maps? Is that implying a map more similar to regular Halo size rather than "huge"? Or is it a completely different style. Maybe arena maps are what we saw in the teaser with the whole man cannon spawns and scoreboards. If that's the case, are arena maps going to have significantly different gameplay in any way? Would this be a good or a bad thing?

Ntkrnl was wrong about a few things, but his beta info was completely wrong.

Woorloog

Banned
Ntkrnl was wrong about a few things, but his beta info was completely wrong.

I always thought the beta stuff was odd. Who the heck knows what their beta will have a year in advance?
Also, "huge maps", but two "arena maps" (and only two? eh?).

EDIT wait. Of course one can make plans for betas... but that's all. Plans.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
I always thought the beta stuff was odd. Who the heck knows what their beta will have a year in advance?
Also, "huge maps", but two "arena maps" (and only two? eh?).

EDIT wait. Of course one can make plans for betas... but that's all. Plans.

I think he maybe mixed up the Halo 2 Anniversary MP mode info with beta info

So what I take from it? Halo 5 beta has 2 maps. No forge.

(just so I can set my expectations low... Thinking Halo 3 Beta... even though that one had 3 )

Havoc2049

Oh gosh I'm bored with my Xbone already. Finished Tomb Raider, played a bit of Forza and eh. No wonder people aren't buying them. Current game library sucks

Very excited for this collection. It'll give me a reason to retire the 360. And I'm really hoping they have some kind of fancy edition with a metal case or something. Default Xbone game cases feel flimsy and cheap

Dead Rising 3 is good times. If you're a Panzer Dragoon fan, Crimson Dragon is fun.

Anyone down for some MCC multiplayer training in Halo 4 or Halo CE Anniversary Classic (none of the Reach BS)?

Gamertag: MajorHavoc 2049
Halo2Pic.jpg

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
That old bungie.net watermark makes me feel a little nostalgic.

Top Bottom