• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT: Anniversary| So fades the great harvest of our betrayal.

Why Sanctuary? Because of the water comment? He said it was a map not typically associated with water.

Possibilities I ccould think of:
Containmelt
Nighttime ODST-themed Headlong Noir with rain
Elongation set in a Regret-themed underwater facility. Particularly notable because Elongation is one of the few Halo 2 maps with no water whatsoever - only perma-fire in a corner or two.
Colossus's gas condenses into a liquid form or takes place deeper into the gas giant's atmosphere, thus making it more susceptible to space water as opposed to outright gas - with a possible interactive map function of turning pathways into underwater canals, requiring players to take alternative routes

It's a stretch, but I really hope Foundation makes it in because it would without a doubt benefit most from the upgrade.
- Sweet, simple map design
- Could use visual upgrades to further differentiate bases
- Plenty of possibilities for interactive map elements, for example opening those garage doors
- Chicago hasn't gotten a visualization in a Halo game yet, could be neat
- Plenty of potential for CEA-style additional pathways
- Suffers from key, map-breaking issues in the original, in particular how easily players can get out of the map
- Added Forge capability could add a ton to the map, in particular allowing for more spins on classic Infection
- With Halo 4 gametypes making it in, could serve as the patron Flood map in H2AMP, a throwback to it being the original choice for Zombies

Some of the maps (like Coag) don't necessarily offer a ton in H2AMP beyond a one-dimensional nostalgia / gameplay standpoint, while from a technical perspective Foundation is begging for a remake.

It's a stretch, but I really hope Foundation makes it in because it would without a doubt benefit most from the upgrade.
- Plenty of possibilities for interactive map elements, for example opening those garage doors
- Suffers from key, map-breaking issues in the original, in particular how easily players can get out of the map
- Added Forge capability could add a ton to the map, in particular allowing for more spins on classic Infection
- With Halo 4 gametypes making it in, could serve as the patron Flood map in H2AMP, a throwback to it being the original choice for Zombies

Some of the maps (like Coag) don't necessarily offer a ton in H2AMP beyond a one-dimensional nostalgia / gameplay standpoint, while from a technical perspective Foundation is begging for a remake.
I agree that it stands the most to gain visually (most boring-looking map in halo 2), but I just don't care for the map itself. A bunch of disjointed rooms around the perimeter that provide no gameplay value/map flow. What it does do is provide pointless retreat locations to afk. Take away the rooms and the map would be 10 times more exciting to play on.

Halo 2's overall muddy, browns-heavy look was very unattractive IMO. People gave 343 a lot of shit for their rocks and some designs (UNSC palette, brown maps still being made, etc.), but Bungie also took what was a very clean and colorful game in CE and turned it into brown and dirty. If they take maps like Foundation and Colossus, I really hope they do a better job of bringing out some different colors and distinguishing locations.

Fuchsdh

1 Flag on Relic is my favorite moment of Halo ever, but to me it didn't work for a whole lot besides assym objectives. That's not a slight against it as a map, but it doesn't inspire me with confidence that they'd bring such a comparatively limited map back when you only have 6 to choose from.

Obscured

Here's the actual one.

lcjfIdM.jpg

It absolutely wrecks on Exile.

Kmq9spL.jpg

Honestly though I'd like a motorcycle-like option that was single seat no weapons but faster than all other vehicles and that you could leap from. So you could come alongside a warthog and leap to hijack.

Possibilities I ccould think of:
Containmelt
Nighttime ODST-themed Headlong Noir with rain
Elongation set in a Regret-themed underwater facility. Particularly notable because Elongation is one of the few Halo 2 maps with no water whatsoever - only perma-fire in a corner or two.
Colossus's gas condenses into a liquid form or takes place deeper into the gas giant's atmosphere, thus making it more susceptible to space water as opposed to outright gas - with a possible interactive map function of turning pathways into underwater canals, requiring players to take alternative routes

Foundation is what popped into my head. That was probably the most played by my friends during the halo 2 days, but only rockets. Honestly (and this will probably be universally reviled but I'd like to see Turf.

So, panel soon?

Also raids sound amazing in destiny, need to add more halogaf/destiny crossover friends on xboner

As much as sometimes gaf can appear toxic I have found it is a great place to find cool people to game with. I've already increased my friend's list by about 50% on XB1 and have a fair amount on PSN starting from 0. Looking forward to Destiny and hope to also get some games in on MCC with people here. (I got in on a few custom halo 4 matches before jumping to XB1 and was a lot of fun, been really missing current gen halo)

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Honestly though I'd like a motorcycle-like option that was single seat no weapons but faster than all other vehicles and that you could leap from. So you could come alongside a warthog and leap to hijack.
That would be fucking awesome.

You've come to the right neighborhood:
prometheangroup.gif

Jump in. Jump out.
Just like Xbox fans.

jem0208

You've come to the right neighborhood:
prometheangroup.gif

Jump in. Jump out.
Just like Xbox fans.

Can that be one of the new spartan abilities?

The ability to instantly jump on a light bike, none of this "press back" then "hold x" like in Destiny.

I want to be able to jump through the air and land on a bike just like the gif.

Screw the fact that it would basically ruin normal gameplay. I want me some awesome bike action.

I don't like the idea of a personal vehicle that's a button-press away for PVP Halo multi (or in general in halo but that's a different argument), but that being said I think you could potentially have a lot of interesting visual spawn cues with big pieces of Forerunner equipment. Like, a smaller motorcycle could manifest itself as a small Promethean "payphone" that transforms around you into a throne before finally forming the chassis and wheels. A bigger Forerunner vehicle around the size of a Prowler could look more like a glorified terminal the size of a phone booth, etc. This could even have a natural extreme in a Campaign mission where you're exploring a Forerunner building and need to engage in heavy vehicular combat, and what you thought was some sort of big gondola actually transforms into a War Sphinx or ultra heavy assault platform Scarab variant, etc.

I explored something similar in my *actual* Gravity Gauntlet (the non-Halo one) that was shooting for an iconic image along the lines of the floating Energy Sword in multiplayer maps - it starts out manifested as a small Halo 3-era Weapon Holder-style projector giving off the aura of a handprint with the four forearm gauntlet parts orbiting around the hand, and then once you hi-five the handprint the forearm components switch orbit to your forearm to encapsulate it, and the projector becomes a hand cannon of sorts.

The first map that came to my mind for Frankie's hint was Waterworks. Despite having water in the name there was only one place with water and that was at the bottom of a death pit, the map was mainly just grey rocks. I think Waterworks would benefit greatly from a graphical update, maybe have one side be grey and dry while the other side is wet with vines and moss.

That being said I hope the last two maps are Terminal and Midship. Those two maps are not only beloved with Midship being pretty much the go to arena map and Terminal being the perfect asymmetrical objective map while also being great for BTB in general, but they would also add visual variety giving us a city map and a Covie map. Also Halo 4 had no Covie maps.

Those two maps would also give us a perfect selection as far as size goes. Two BTB maps with Coag and Terminal, two mid size maps with Zanzibar on the big side and Ascension on the small side, and finally two small arena maps with Lockout and Midship.

wwm0nkey

I know it would cost a shit load of money but you know what I would REALLY like to see.

The Fall of Reach, First Strike, Ghost of Onyx and Halo 1&3 cutscenes done by Blur. Would buy the BluRay of all of them soooo fast and it would be a good way to introduce people into the expanded lore of the universe too.

I would like this.

Can I have it.

Pls respond.

Is that concept art for Halo 4 or Destiny? It looks like a Marine with a War Master helmet slapped on.

The first map that came to my mind for Frankie's hint was Waterworks. Despite having water in the name there was only one place with water and that was at the bottom of a death pit, the map was mainly just grey rocks. I think Waterworks would benefit greatly from a graphical update, maybe have one side be grey and dry while the other side is wet with vines and moss.

That being said I hope the last two maps are Terminal and Midship. Those two maps are not only beloved with Midship being pretty much the go to arena map and Terminal being the perfect asymmetrical objective map while also being great for BTB in general, but they would also add visual variety giving us a city map and a Covie map. Also Halo 4 had no Covie maps.

Those two maps would also give us a perfect selection as far as size goes. Two BTB maps with Coag and Terminal, two mid size maps with Zanzibar on the big side and Ascension on the small side, and finally two small arena maps with Lockout and Midship.

Waterworks was my line of thinking too. I'd describe it more as damp than watery. I could also see them introducing some neat little dynamic elements to it, and honestly Waterworks seems like it'd play great in the Halo 4 engine (which H2AMP is based on). Maybe even throw in a Mantis.

Waterworks was my line of thinking too. I'd describe it more as damp than watery. I could also see them introducing some neat little dynamic elements to it, and honestly Waterworks seems like it'd play great in the Halo 4 engine (which H2AMP is based on). Maybe even throw in a Mantis.
Well that isn't really relevant because despite being based on the Halo 4 engine the gameplay is not Halo 4. This isn't another Reach Anniversary gametype situation. But I do agree that a Mantis might actually work well on Waterworks due to the massive amount of cover and broken sight lines.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Confession: I never liked Waterworks because of how dark and gloomy its aesthetic was. I can barely even remember the layout of the map because of how little I opted to play it.

Well that isn't really relevant because despite being based on the Halo 4 engine the gameplay is not Halo 4. This isn't another Reach Anniversary gametype situation. But I do agree that a Mantis might actually work well on Waterworks due to the massive amount of cover and broken sight lines.

I mean the actual engine, not 4's gameplay mechanics. The vaseline-smeared mix of crunchy and squisht Halo 4's engine provides over the almost analog-feeling baroque Reach engine seems like it'd be perfect for a map that damp and murky, if that makes sense. Only disadvantage I could see is that it barely has a skybox.

-Ryn

Banned
I mean the actual engine, not 4's gameplay mechanics. The vaseline-smeared mix of crunchy and squisht Halo 4's engine provides over the almost analog-feeling baroque Reach engine seems like it'd be perfect for a map that damp and murky, if that makes sense. Only disadvantage I could see is that it barely has a skybox.
What if there was actually a while new area above the map when you go through the hole in the ceiling? It could be amazing!

Or it could be where the Gravity Gauntlet is hidden.

Thanks, it does make sense. I think I was getting tired towards the end. The issue was I had to fill gaps where the soundtracks didn't match up like using the Halo MC collection Arbiter during the Halo 5 teaser. I was trying to wrap it into Halo 2 but tie it into what we think Halo 5 might be about. Thanks for the feedback. That and the other videos on my channel are a test bed for another project that will also appear there.
No problem it was a good watch.
I look forward to seeing whatever your project is.

I started listening to the Reach soundtrack again. I still love it. I hope we at least see the campaign of that game ported over to the bone. Its multiplayer may have sucked, but lore inconsistencies asides that game had a fantastic singleplayer mode. I'd love to see it in 1080p 60fps.

Woorloog

Banned
So can we get a system in Halo 5 where winning is important/rewarded far better than losing (assuming XP/Credit/other such system in addition to ranking system)?
Because in Halo 4, and Reach, one has no incentive to win really (also a reason you get a lot of AFKers). You get practically the same amount of credits/XP whether you win or not, nor does individual performance matter that much either. As long as you complete the match...

Hell, the weak skill matching in Halo 4 means i don't need to bother to play as well as i could, i can slack off and still do better than many. No incentive nor interest to play better. Lack of challenge means winning itself doesn't feel like an achievement so i don't play to win for that feeling either. Very unsatisfactory.
(Basically, this means i play mostly because that way my friends can have fun and i can have fun with them, though i enjoy the game less than them due to my (hidden) competitive nature. I don't play because i find the game itself particularly fun, it is just the social stuff)

This winning-ain't-important isn't confined to Halo though, MechWarrior Online at least has the same issue as the winners don't actually get that much more money and XP. And CODs too from what i remember, they weighted individual performance, the better you were the more XP you gained.

Oh and one more thing, faster games should get more/better rewards than long games, this would curb CTF turning into a frag-fest a bit. (Hding all K/D and such data from CTF games might help too i guess)

EDIT some of these issues apply to Halo 3 social lists too, though the game's better skill matching even in social helps.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Anyone successfully used an external HDD for their One? I just got a Seagate USB 3.0 2TB one and the xbox keeps saying "try a different device". :(

I'm probably in the minority, but I really look forward to rockets that lock onto vehicles again along with no spartan laser <-- competes for worst weapon ever introduced in halo

Woorloog

Banned
The laser's fine with some adjustments, slightly longer charge-up time, less shots per magazine, no penetration.
That said, unless they return to Halo 3-like rounded weapon model, the weapon can be ditched. It looks terrible in Reach/4.

I admit that lock-on rockets are not that bad, provided they're tweaked. They were too good in Halo 2 IMO. Consider Reach's Plasma Launcher, it was a lock-on weapon yet not nearly as powerful.

Oh, and the Incinerator Cannon and the Fuel Rod Gun must be banned from the multiplayer completely. That latter could be removed from the campaign too...

EDIT I think that i'd choose the Rocket Launcher with lock-on-all-vehicles rockets and the Plasma Launcher as the anti-vehicle weapons for a Halo multiplayer. Both tweaked of course. They're rather similar but i think they offer the best options balance-wise, not to mention both are cool, visually and/or in function.

The laser's fine with some adjustments, slightly longer charge-up time, less shots per magazine, no penetration.
That said, unless they return to Halo 3-like rounded weapon model, the weapon can be ditched. It looks terrible in Reach/4.

I admit that lock-on rockets are not that bad, provided they're tweaked. They were too good in Halo 2 IMO. Consider Reach's Plasma Launcher, it was a lock-on weapon yet not nearly as powerful.

Oh, and the Incinerator Cannon and the Fuel Rod Gun must be banned from the multiplayer completely. That latter could be removed from the campaign too...

EDIT I think that i'd choose the Rocket Launcher with lock-on-all-vehicles rockets and the Plasma Launcher as the anti-vehicle weapons for a Halo multiplayer. Both tweaked of course. They're rather similar but i think they offer the best options balance-wise, not to mention both are cool, visually and/or in function.
For whatever reason, the spartan laser is not an enjoyable weapon for me. It's like a beefed up sniper rifle that can destroy vehicles in one shot, only easier to use and less fun. Hold to charge. Let go. Done. Vehicle destroyed. Woo. As for the plasma launcher, I'm not a fan of it being able to lock onto players in addition to vehicles. Personal preferences that I guess really don't matter that much in the long run.

I know it would cost a shit load of money but you know what I would REALLY like to see.

The Fall of Reach, First Strike, Ghost of Onyx and Halo 1&3 cutscenes done by Blur. Would buy the BluRay of all of them soooo fast and it would be a good way to introduce people into the expanded lore of the universe too.

Seeing Will bossing around those Hunters on Onyx...

...bah gawd what I would do

Relic was pretty damn cool. Never liked Colossus as much.

Sadly I can't see these being remade as they aren't recognised enough.

I kinda want a Burial Mounds remake. I liked that map.

Yes please, Burial Mounds flag and bomb are so good.

1 Flag on Relic is my favorite moment of Halo ever, but to me it didn't work for a whole lot besides assym objectives. That's not a slight against it as a map, but it doesn't inspire me with confidence that they'd bring such a comparatively limited map back when you only have 6 to choose from.

Relic for DLC would be aces.

Woorloog

Banned
As for the plasma launcher, I'm not a fan of it being able to lock onto players in addition to vehicles.

I didn't remember that part. An issue of course. As i said, i'd have them in tweaked form.

I wonder why any ideas i have for "an ideal Halo sandbox" include so many of the old weapons when i complain Halo doesn't have enough imaginative weapons, "fun" weapons. On the other hand, i can't claim i know what is a fun, imaginative weapon...

Does anyone here think that alt fire would work for Halos? Not simple charge-ups like the Plasma Pistol and Boltshot have (both are fun functions), but actual alternate firing modes, using dedicated buttons.
Naturally this might require modifying the control scheme: triggers shoot, one bumper uses grenades, which would be a change to the norm. On the other hand, using grenades with bumpers isn't really a problem, is it?
EDIT naturally the alt fire could be in a bumper.

Alt fire mode would allow for various interesting things: I'd combine BR and AR into a multipurpose rifle, one trigger shoots rapid-fire full-auto at the expense of headshot capability and accuracy, the other shoots in bursts like the BR (weapon would also look like the BR). EDIT hmm. This needs tweaking still. But that's the basic idea anyway.
The AR having a grenade launcher (not loaded with explosive grenades but utility ones) would be interesting... though perhaps having the Grenade Launcher would be better.
The Brute Shot could have both bouncing and contact-explosive grenades.
The Plasma Rifle could have a stun shot.
And other things...

Woorloog

Banned
Regarding the MCC multiplayer experience (based on the panel):
So... i can just stick to Halo X multiplayer if i want, with no voting (map/mode specifics aside)? Because i most certainly don't want to play if i can't just stick with Halo 3 (Halo 3 BTB specifically, or Halo 2 Anniversary MP) considering the issues i have with the others (Halo CE is just no for me, Halo 2 has glitches, Halo 4 is rather unsatisfying compared to alternatives).
Or is my only option to bring enough people who want the same as me?

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Each game will get at least one playlist devoted to it and only it.

Woorloog

Banned
Each game will get at least one playlist devoted to it and only it.

Looked like that based a quick look at the RTX panel. Didn't see Halo 3 BTB playlist... though i guess those are not finalized.
Just worried we're not getting good playlist management. There has been some really stupid stuff in every single Halo with matchmaking. From AR starts to bad map/mode combos to modes not suiting a playlist at all (BTB SWAT in standard BTB. What.)...

Top Bottom