• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT: Anniversary| So fades the great harvest of our betrayal.

FyreWulff

There is still not bayonets or sword human weapons in Halo right?

mVMsMJL.jpg

which lives on in the difficulty emblems

legendary5871230.jpg

Sometimes I wonder what a live action halo series with only the unsc marines perspective.
And I see how Starship Troopers was before they went into battle...

Woorloog

Banned
Sometimes I wonder what a live action halo series with only the unsc marines perspective.
And I see how Starship Troopers was before they went into battle...

No Spartans? IE how the marines, army, whatever copes against the Covies when there are no Spartans around helping them?

Woorloog

Banned
lol thats.. not what I meant. If you've seen how the rough necks were during training before combat in the movie you'd see what I mean.

Well your sentence, "Sometimes I wonder what a live action halo series with only the unsc marines perspective." is missing something me thinks. Confusing to read.
Anyway, not sure how Starship Troopers factors into this anyway, considering the film is satire.

Madness

Even that small snippet of the warthog run theme music worked better in that video than the music in any part of the Halo 4 campaign.

Also, just curious, is the MK VI Mjolnir armor that was standard now retconned altogether with the new Chief design, or are they two separate armors in canon now? Because they clearly showed Chief wearing it long before the events of Halo 4 in that flashback.

MouldyK

Well your sentence, "Sometimes I wonder what a live action halo series with only the unsc marines perspective." is missing something me thinks. Confusing to read.
Anyway, not sure how Starship Troopers factors into this anyway, considering the film is satire.

Because the marines are just as smart in both things? xD

Woorloog

Banned
Even that small snippet of the warthog run theme music worked better in that video than the music in any part of the Halo 4 campaign.

Also, just curious, is the MK VI Mjolnir armor that was standard now retconned altogether with the new Chief design, or are they two separate armors in canon now? Because they clearly showed Chief wearing it long before the events of Halo 4 in that flashback.

The Chief's armor in Halo 4 is still Mark VI but remodeled to look like a Mark IV variant (at least Halopedia says this. They cite something, can't recall what). Which leads to fridge logic, Mark IV is considerably more bulkier, not nearly as sleek as GEN2 armor...

For anyone wanting to play customs tonight, I got a few games on deck that should be fun.

- Slenderman Flood map
- Salvation
- a racetrack in "A Galaxy Far Far Way" :p

and a few others if anyone is down. Gametag is GringoSuave89.

EDIT: since everyone is on different schedules, let's say that game night starts at 8 PM Pacific/11 PM Eastern

Mistel

Banned
The Chief's armor in Halo 4 is still Mark VI but remodeled to look like a Mark IV variant (at least Halopedia says this. They cite something, can't recall what). Which leads to fridge logic, Mark IV is considerably more bulkier, not nearly as sleek as GEN2 armor...
It's the 4 visual guide they cite saying it's a IV variant based design for the VI.

Woorloog

Banned
It's the 4 visual guide they cite saying it's a IV variant based design for the VI.

Right.
Still annoys me how Halo 4 doesn't explain the armor's change. And i question whether Frankie's claim "nanomachines" is actually canon. I like the armor, i just don't like how it came from nowhere. The intro having Spartans with the armor doesn't bother me at all, i just figure it is asset re-use.

Still doesn't bother me as much as the Dawn getting overhauled.
I can imagine how jarring this will be in the Master Chief Collection. Play Halo 3, and Halo 4 starts right after... only the ship has changed its looks way too much.

ElRenoRaven

Right.
Still annoys me how Halo 4 doesn't explain the armor's change. And i question whether Frankie's claim "nanomachines" is actually canon. I like the armor, i just don't like how it came from nowhere. The intro having Spartans with the armor doesn't bother me at all, i just figure it is asset re-use.

I can imagine how jarring this will be in the Master Chief Collection. Play Halo 3, and Halo 4 starts right after... only the ship has changed its looks way too much.

You know I'd have been ok with the armor had they just handled it better. Would it have taken more work to include the Halo 3 armor? Of course. However here is how I would have handled the change. You have chief in his old armor until he hooks up with the Infinity. At that point you could have had them refit him with the new armor. It really could have been that simple. Sure you'd have had to do a bit more work but it would have been easier to accept the change. Also it would have allowed them to have the armor for the scenes set in the past with the spartans. As it is there is no logical explanation. Hell there isn't even one to begin with.

This was my biggest complaint with Halo 4. They did not explain anything really. Yea I know they wanted to integrate other media in but a lot of people don't bother with that stuff. Luckily 343 has acknowledged that this was a mistake and hopefully they do a better job with Halo 5. I fear though they aren't due to how they're introducing Locke in the Nightfall series/ MCC. Course I'm going to wait and reserve judgement.

Woorloog

Banned
You know I'd have been ok with the armor had they just handled it better. Would it have taken more work to include the Halo 3 armor? Of course. However here is how I would have handled the change. You have chief in his old armor until he hooks up with the Infinity. At that point you could have had them refit him with the new armor.

More work? Not really, i think, CGI aside. The Halo 2/3 version exists in the game (well, fitted for the new undersuit model but that's a minor thing), it could have been used in the campaign for the earlier missions, with the Chief specific changes (color, the scratches).

Right.

I think people will get over it :p

On the armor, I maintain that just calling a retcon a retcon would be the best decision. IMO, it's the best of the bunch in any case, they should just admit they wanted to change/update it and call it a day. "It's always been that way, starting from now" is kind of a weird concept in video game land, but it's far from unheard of in most other geeky media. Comics in particular.

Woorloog

Banned
Retcons should be only used when there's so obvious issue it would logically cause problems without fixing it and when fixing them otherwise is not possible (like the UNSC's super-powered fusion engines which should make one wonder how come they have issues fighting the Covies since the engines double as weapons... the Kzinti lesson (and i don't mean by blowing them up. Just point those engines, at close range, at the Covies...)).

If a retcon is not needed, don't do it.

Explaining things later on is not necessarily a retcon. If information is changed, it is a retcon, but adding to old information is not. An example of something that looks like a retcon but isn't: In Mass Effect, the geth are enemies, supposedly hostile against all organics. Mass Effect 2 reveals there are two factions of geth. No information was changed, merely added.
EDIT of course this kind of stuff depends on how information is received. If information is gotten from a source that may not be trustworthy, and departure from information given in the source can't be called a retcon.

Madness

I don't care if Chief will never use the armor again, I care if that armor doesn't even exist anymore. That the MK V is what we have in CE and the Halo 4 version of the MK VI replaces the MK VI of Halo 2 and 3 etc.

Really shows you how much importance 343 even gave to things like this. They probably just said screw it, we're not going to model the original MK VI for a few missions and replace his armor on Infinity, let's just change it altogether.

My question is, do the armor designs exist now in the same universe, or is the new variation basically going to overwrite it altogether. So you can have someone wear the old MK VI alongside Chief and his new one etc.

Mistel

Banned
Right.

It's pretty much we've changed it to give it our own touch in a manner of speaking. Whilst on the subject of armor I would like to see some hellbringer styled armor for spartans at some point:

Woorloog

Banned
My question is, do the armor designs exist now in the same universe, or is the new variation basically going to overwrite it altogether. So you can have someone wear the old MK VI alongside Chief and his new one etc.

Pretty sure both designs still exist, given that all the armors in the Halo 4 MP are canonical, including the Mjolnir Mark VI GEN2 version, as is the Chief's campaign armor, and so are the old GEN1 Mjolnir armors still.

EDIT i doubt that we will see these in the same scene though, be it comics, books, television, or games.

Retcons should be only used when there's so obvious issue it would logically cause problems without fixing it and when fixing them otherwise is not possible (like the UNSC's super-powered fusion engines which should make one wonder how come they have issues fighting the Covies since the engines double as weapons... the Kzinti lesson (and i don't mean by blowing them up. Just point those engines, at close range, at the Covies...)).

If a retcon is not needed, don't do it.

Explaining things later on is not necessarily a retcon. If information is changed, it is a retcon, but adding to old information is not. An example of something that looks like a retcon but isn't: In Mass Effect, the geth are enemies, supposedly hostile against all organics. Mass Effect 2 reveals there are two factions of geth. No information was changed, merely added.
EDIT of course this kind of stuff depends on how information is received. If information is gotten from a source that may not be trustworthy, and departure from information given in the source can't be called a retcon.

"Needed" is not an objective term. I'd say that they wanted to have their own take on the armor (plus, they wanted to have Chief able to raise his arms above his head), so they whipped it up. Since they couldn't/didn't want to change their planned story to accommodate it, a retcon was required. Simple.

As for whether or not Chief's armor from 2/3 canonically exists, if they do just retcon it, the answer would be no.

Alright Raid 2 finally finished. Spectacular opening that got dragged down so hard it became altogether boring. Not sure if recommend.

Anyway, are people still on Halo?

Woorloog

Banned
"Needed" is not an objective term. I'd say that they wanted to have their own take on the armor (plus, they wanted to have Chief able to raise his arms above his head), so they whipped it up. Since they couldn't/didn't want to change their planned story to accommodate it, a retcon was required. Simple.
They could have added a single line of dialogue to explain the armor difference (that firmware line doesn't cut it, given that firmware is software). Hell, it could have been some kind of computer record, no voice work necessary.

In any case, i'm not going to accept retcons as a good thing. They are not required unless writing is bad, and if it is bad... perhaps that issue should be solved first.
Work with established limits, explain changes, think far ahead. Strong internal consistency is important.
As for whether or not Chief's armor from 2/3 canonically exists, if they do just retcon it, the answer would be no.

Halo 4 MP armors and their descriptions are canonical (with that "unicorn" armor's description probably being the sole exception given that it refers to 343i's place), so the old armor design still exists.

I can get on, but idk about anyone else will join.

Eh I kinda just want to try out those new modes so I guess we'd need more than just us.

Dafuck!? That final fight was awesome and that car chase scene? Fucking amazing!

Oh and Halo

Yeah all the fights were awesome. The fight in the mud was amazing but all the story stuff between that and the end was just utter nonsense that nearly put me to sleep. At least an hour of boring fluff that brought nothing to the movie at all.

They could have added a single line of dialogue to explain the armor difference (that firmware line doesn't cut it, given that firmware is software). Hell, it could have been some kind of computer record, no voice work necessary.

In any case, i'm not going to accept retcons as a good thing. They are not required unless writing is bad, and if it is bad... perhaps that issue should be solved first.
Work with established limits, explain changes, think far ahead. Strong internal consistency is important.

Halo 4 MP armors and their descriptions are canonical (with that "unicorn" armor's description probably being the sole exception given that it refers to 343i's place), so the old armor design still exists.

And retcons can help maintain that consistency. Yes, having it explained in game would have been better, but now that that ship has sailed, best to just make the most of it. Retcons aren't good, but they're preferable to great gaping holes in the story.

Buwx

Whilst on the subject of armor I would like to see some hellbringer styled armor for spartans at some point:

Hellbringers were so cool; they're just as insane as helljumpers, only they start the fires instead of dropping feet first into them. It'd be a real shame (not to mention stupid) if they were exclusive units to the Spirit of Fire.

That mean we're going to start seeing some of your posts in the Halo Lore thread again? :D

Most likely yes. I don't like to commit to things :p

I have a couple in the works, but timing is everything.

--

In other news:

Halo 4 is a lot better paired with a good beer. :)

edit: though I was paired with a team that just HAD to play the heavies hopper all the time.... ugh

Buwx

I'm ready for some Halo 5 beta details and gameplay on Tuesday.....please.

I honestly wouldn't count on it. I don't expect Halo 5 news until TMCC actually releases. Tuesday's news will likely be of the same flavor as the news at RTX and ComicCon.

"We wanted to create a unified user interface."

"There are over 100 multiplayer maps."

"Halo 2 Anniversary has sexy cutscenes."

"Cairo Station."

My connection got funky again so I had to leave but good matches, I still have some Reach CTF nightmares so I score it fast for the sake of the enemy team.

Top Bottom