• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT: Anniversary| So fades the great harvest of our betrayal.

wwm0nkey

Dammit I'm officially back in the Halo hype mode, started re-reading Fall of Reach and I think I will finish up Ghost of Onyx before launch.

I want to play Halo 2 PC MP before launch but I think I might just go full blue balls on playing Halo until the MCC.

Dammit I'm officially back in the Halo hype mode, started re-reading Fall of Reach and I think I will finish up Ghost of Onyx before launch.

I want to play Halo 2 PC MP before launch but I think I might just go full blue balls on playing Halo until the MCC.

im gonna read through fall of reach now.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Even though I know I'm gonna play the everliving hell out of MCC, I can't make myself care now for some reason. Weird.

Destiny next week tho get hypeee. Might even get the ultimate dumb kid edition

That reminds me, I have all this Halo merchandise that I don't have space for; books, artbooks, comics etc.

If anyone in the Uk (from HaloGaf) wants to take take it off my hands for a good price before I put it on eBay, please PM me.

Computer

Quite a conundrum. I don't want to play Halo until the MCC comes out. Then again I don't want to be rusty when MCC comes out.

Schryver

Is there any information on split-screen matchmaking? If it's going to be possible are there are details on performance impact (guessing no)?

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Even though I know I'm gonna play the everliving hell out of MCC, I can't make myself care now for some reason. Weird.

Destiny next week tho get hypeee. Might even get the ultimate dumb kid edition
My MCC hype is through the roof. My Destiny hype almost entirely dissipated after the beta, but it's slowly sneaking back... Only one week to wait!

I've been playing 4...

Can I say that here?
I actually miss Halo 4. Doubles and Throwdown were really fun.

VinFTW

We should get some HaloGAF matches of CS:GO going to build team work lol

Depends on what game type you play.

So down.

SteamID: Vinftw22

edit: be forewarned, I'm so bad, havent played competitively since Source. Just re-installed yesterday! :p

I'm on mostly during the weekends if you and others want to play.

wwm0nkey

So down.

SteamID: Vinftw22

edit: be forewarned, I'm so bad, havent played competitively since Source. Just re-installed yesterday! :p

I'm on mostly during the weekends if you and others want to play.
Just remember to shift walk, control bursts and no peaking on CT side and you're good lol

Computer

I am surprised they did not announce the last map or show Coagulation. I wonder when and were they will do this.

A 1 flag match on Zanzibar would have been fun to watch as well.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I am surprised they did not announce the last map or show Coagulation. I wonder when and were they will do this.
I'm guessing they're saving Coagulation for their big Forge blowout.

I was surprised about how they really just talked about Forge in the PAX panel and didn't actually show anything. It seems like they've been pushing back Forge announcements a lot -- I wonder if they're having issues getting aspects of it working right.

Onikaan

We should get some HaloGAF matches of CS:GO going to build team work lol

Depends on what game type you play.

SWAT and Slayer.

It's that or suffer at the hands of Armour Lock.

My MCC hype is through the roof. My Destiny hype almost entirely dissipated after the beta, but it's slowly sneaking back... Only one week to wait!

I actually miss Halo 4. Doubles and Throwdown were really fun.

I feel the changes that were made have helped me enjoy the game immensely.

-Ryn

Banned
After exploring most of the moon, I can't wait to see what else there is. I did it when the One multiplayer wasn't working so it was just this solo journey through eerie caves systems and ruins. It actually creeped me out a bit. Though having your friends around to t-bag corpses will probably take a bit out of that.

A 1 flag match on Zanzibar would have been fun to watch as well.
Are there any RvB related events before launch? I'm still hoping for them to reveal it.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I mean, Halo 4 wasn't all that bad. I really loved how the ordnance system gave new players and veteran players alike access to power weapons, creating an even and balanced playing field. The wide array of perks meant that players had to be alert and stay on their toes, raising the skill ceiling while also empowering new players. And making it so that players can't drop the flag in CTF prevented exploitable glitches like flag juggling, which in turn made the game more streamlined and fair.

Halo 4. Truly a master piece.

Onikaan

I knew it.

I mean, Halo 4 wasn't all that bad. I really loved how the ordnance system gave new players and veteran players alike access to power weapons, creating an even and balanced playing field. The wide array of perks meant that players had to be alert and stay on their toes, raising the skill ceiling while also empowering new players. And making it so that players can't drop the flag in CTF prevented exploitable glitches like flag juggling, which in turn made the game more streamlined and fair.

Your bravery has neither bound or limit. (or ceiling)

Fracas

#fuckonami

Ryan McCaffrey?!

TheOddOne

What_am_i_reading.jpg

I kinda agree, Ordinances and perks needed more work to be balanced not just random with disadvantaged sinergies.

black-guys-laughing.gif

wwm0nkey

If anyone is going cold on Halo before the MCC and has CSGO add me on Steam, ID: wwm0nkey

It will be a good way to get teams and still have a competitive and team based mindset for when the collection launches.

xalener

Neo Member

I don't Hate Halo 4, but you listed all the worst things about the game as improvements.

The ordnance system killed the need for any map control at all, because anyone could just bring power weapons to themselves. As a result, what was once a characteristically mobile game became completely stagnant. No fighting for sword rooms or rocket hallways... which was kinda always the whole point of Halo since 2001.

As for the flagnum. It's a cool idea, but all it really does is doom flag carriers to certain death unless they sit in a corner while their team defends them from the entire opposing team's inevitable attack, which diverts all the focus away from defending their own flag. It would work in a game with a higher player limit than 16 (or eight in most of Halo's cases). Halo 4's player limit is 16, and 4v4 and 5v5 matches are way more common than 8v8. So...

I always regarded Halo 4 as the fruit flavored chewable Halo. It's easier to swallow and tastes really good, but you only get half the nutrients you'd get from any other game in the series.

Fracas

#fuckonami
I don't Hate Halo 4, but you listed all the worst things about the game as improvements.

The ordnance system killed the need for any map control at all, because anyone could just bring power weapons to themselves. As a result, what was once a characteristically mobile game became completely stagnant. No fighting for sword rooms or rocket hallways... which was kinda always the whole point of Halo since 2001.

As for the flagnum. It's a cool idea, but all it really does is doom flag carriers to certain death unless they sit in a corner while their team defends them from the entire opposing team's inevitable attack, which diverts all the focus away from defending their own flag. It would work in a game with a higher player limit than 16 (or eight in most of Halo's cases). Halo 4's player limit is 16, and 4v4 and 5v5 matches are way more common than 8v8. So...

I always regarded Halo 4 as the fruit flavored chewable Halo. It's easier to swallow, but you get half the vitamins you would have gotten from any other game in the series.
whoosh

Mistel

Banned

Are you field testing stand up material for Mix?

Pfhunkie

My issue with ordinance is on a very basic level. The internal debate at 343 Industries that probably gave birth to the idea of ordinance was, I imagine, this: "How do we reward players who are doing well?"

I'll tell you how you reward players who are doing well. It's really simple! For each kill they get, they get a point. Then, if they keep doing well, they win the match because they have more points than the other players. On the flip side, you have the argument that people who aren't as good need help to which I say they can receive help... by playing the game against people who are just as good or better than them so that they can become skillful at the game.

Simply put, you're playing well? Good. Keep playing well. You're playing poorly? Good. Keep trying until you're better. The journey to being a good player is what makes a game enjoyable.

xalener

Neo Member
They definitely let too many "modern" features creep into Halo 4.

I put "modern" in quotes because they're not really an improvement on old systems, they're just trends that only work for a certain type of game. A type of game to which Halo has always been sort of an antithesis to.

Halo is in the Unreal: The Quakening family, not the Call of Battlefield: Hell's Highway family. It's not a military shooter. There's a military faction in it, but there's a reason why you spend most of every game in the franchise as a guy whose been separated from his group. It's so you don't have to be bogged down by that handholdy bullshit that comes with playing as a real shooty soldier man whose always with his squad.

The military in Halo is only there to make the Fantasy/ Pulp sci fi elements feel that much more bizarre. It's not there to be focused on, it's there to be focused from.

Military focused videogames have used the military hierarchies to give videogame style progression some context. There is, of course, a trade off here. Progression makes you feel good between games. When a match ends, look at those numbers wrack up. That glorious "beepbeep*sound of bar filling up*beepbeepbeep-SLAM*rankup*-beepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeep-SLAM-beepbeep-WOOSH*itemunlock*-beepbeepbeep" between games has kinda taken center stage while the actual game seems to be developed just so that moment between every match can happen. No one plays for the game when progression is the focus.

In my opinion, the only progression in Halo should be the player's god damned muscle memory. Aesthetic only unlocks are cool too. Not emblems though. No one should be limited on how they can make their emblems on Day 1. I played Halo as an escape from the "more hours = bigger guns" BS from any other shooter out there today. It was kinda crushing when news came out that Halo 4 was going to start incorporating these kinds of things.

Also, no one should EVER be able to start with a BR and a plasma pistol under any circumstances. Like... I know there's 343 employees on this forum. When that came up on the white board, was there any hesitation at all? I know there was awareness that these decisions would be controversial, but did no one really consider how detrimental they'd be?

Ramirez

My issue with ordinance is on a very basic level. The internal debate at 343 Industries that probably gave birth to the idea of ordinance was, I imagine, this: "How do we reward players who are doing well?"

I'll tell you how you reward players who are doing well. It's really simple! For each kill they get, they get a point. Then, if they keep doing well, they win the match because they have more points than the other players. On the flip side, you have the argument that people who aren't as good need help to which I say they can receive help... by playing the game against people who are just as good or better than them so that they can become skillful at the game.

Simply put, you're playing well? Good. Keep playing well. You're playing poorly? Good. Keep trying until you're better. The journey to being a good player is what makes a game enjoyable.

Nah, pretty sure it was the opposite, how do you even the playing field for people who don't memorize weapon spawn locations & timers.

xalener

Neo Member
Nah, pretty sure it was the opposite, how do you even the playing field for people who don't memorize weapon spawn locations & timers.

I never memorize timers :p

I always just made the rounds until something popped up. As for memorizing locations, that's pretty easy. It's all the same bits of your brain you use to remember where your toilet is.

Has anyone asked if Spartan Ops is gonna be in the MCC? Would be a shame if MCC shipped without some dumb coop sandboxy fun.

I never memorize timers :p

I always just made the rounds until something popped up. As for memorizing locations, that's pretty easy. It's all the same bits of your brain you use to remember where your toilet is.

Has anyone asked if Spartan Ops is gonna be in the MCC? Would be a shame if MCC shipped without some dumb coop sandboxy fun.

"Fun" that was bullshit. Spartan Ops was badly written, Designed (really, cant use content on my hard drive if im a silver member) and badly executed.

Top Bottom