• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT: Anniversary| So fades the great harvest of our betrayal.

TheOddOne

G9mN7.png

HTupolev

You realise adding new mechanics isn't a bad thing...
Mechanical complexity isn't gameplay complexity, and can easily wind up working against it due to all sorts of inelegancies.

If a mechanic doesn't have a good reason to exist in a game, I would tend to err strongly toward axing it.

I'm beginning to think Chief may have a whole new suit of armor for 5.
Copying CoD didn't work; since 343i is looking for more inspiration from the past this time, plan B must be Doom. Which implies that in Halo 5, the Chief will wear nothing but skin-tight olive green spandex and a helmet.

Fracas

#fuckonami
I can't even get into destiny. Error code "grape". I have no idea what it would be, don't see anything on my end that's wrong. What in the world

I can't even get into destiny. Error code "grape". I have no idea what it would be, don't see anything on my end that's wrong. What in the world

You're not the only one, a mate who went to a midnight launch is still unable to play Destiny, error centipede. He's on a university connection but literally no other 360 or X1 game gives him trouble. I was stuck in spawn on the moon last night right as our fireteam killed the boss and then got booted back to X1 dashboard too.

As for the game, I'm loving the connection quality on Aussie servers and the coop fireteams. Bring on the raids already, can't wait for those. The first night was just a grind to unlock crucible and some decent weapons etc. On to strikes and patrols/public events tonight I think.

Mix

The only issues I've had is that I only have one of the three legacy emblems I'm supposed to have.

Fracas

#fuckonami
You're not the only one, a mate who went to a midnight launch is still unable to play Destiny, error centipede. He's on a university connection but literally no other 360 or X1 game gives him trouble. I was stuck in spawn on the moon last night right as our fireteam killed the boss and then got booted back to X1 dashboard too.

As for the game, I'm loving the connection quality on Aussie servers and the coop fireteams. Bring on the raids already, can't wait for those. The first night was just a grind to unlock crucible and some decent weapons etc. On to strikes and patrols/public events tonight I think.

We're not alone

Liamc723

Good lord, are we sure Bungie made Halo's multiplayer?

Destiny's is so disappointing compared to Halo, 5 very generic modes, no maps that really stand out, nothing like a Forge or custom game modes. It's all just very average in my opinion.

Hurry up Master Chief Collection, I need a good multiplayer to sink my teeth into.

Yeah it certainly seems to be an issue, I'm sure they're working to sort it out. This particular mate and uni connection had issues in the beta as well, so there should be good data from beta and release for Bungie.

I'd recommend you ask the Uni IT department if you can put your console into a DMZ (demilitarised zone) for now. It should broadly resolve many issues quickly from the player network end. Uni IT departments generally have some strict policies though, good luck.

Good lord, are we sure Bungie made Halo's multiplayer?

Destiny's is so disappointing compared to Halo, 5 very generic modes, no maps that really stand out, nothing like a Forge or custom game modes. It's all just very average in my opinion.

Hurry up Master Chief Collection, I need a good multiplayer to sink my teeth into.

They wasted all their funds on advertising. I don't think they took community appeal as much into account as they did with Halo. That's why I'm so happy that MCC is coming out soon.

jem0208

Yeah because loadouts, sprint, screen shake, ordnance, perks, and hand holding waypoints were so well received and needed.
I actually missed out a word in that post, I meant to say it's not always bad.

That said, I'd argue Reach style loadouts can be pretty good, sprint is debatable, screen shake (whilst needing to be toned down a bit) isn't a bad thing and what's wrong with way points?

Also, assassinations, boarding, dual wielding (if balanced), customisable armour, invasion... Were pretty cool.

If we don't accept any changes Halo is gunna get dull very fast.

Woorloog

Banned

Well, yes and no. Halo 3 was fun for 3 years, and could have been longer, even without any changes (not counting added maps and playlist tweaks, those are not fundamental changes after all).
That said, i absolutely want each new Halo trying something new. Not interesting in a mere graphics update.

I actually missed out a word in that post, I meant to say it's not always bad.

That said, I'd argue Reach style loadouts can be pretty good, sprint is debatable, screen shake (whilst needing to be toned down a bit) isn't a bad thing and what's wrong with way points?

Also, assassinations, boarding, dual wielding (if balanced), customisable armour, invasion... Were pretty cool.

Got to love the "don't want shitty changes for change's sake so you must not want anything to change" strawman. How many times have we heard that argument / excuse at this point, HaloGAF?

jem0208

Got to love the "don't want shitty changes for change's sake so you must not want anything to change" strawman. How many times have we heard that argument / excuse at this point, HaloGAF?

Considering previous posts I'm pretty sure some people here really don't want anything to be changed at all from the original trilogy...

Woorloog

Banned
Considering previous posts I'm pretty sure some people here really don't want anything to be changed at all from the original trilogy...

I think that's just an impression, not the truth. The issue with most changes so far is that they haven't been good, or if the idea has been good, the execution (usually balancing) has been bad.

I guess it was asking too much to add more quests or more layouts in Earth with the same enclosed doors leading dead ends areas, so yeah, go directly to the moon

willow ve

You can change netcode, aim assist, and player movement/momentum. And while we're at it make all precision guns hitscan.

Nope, you're not missing anything. It really is that ass-backwards. For a social shared world shooter, Destiny is remarkably stingy with the "social" and "shared" bits.

freaks-and-geeks.jpg

Is it the same on PSN? I wonder if it's the X1 platform causing the issue or just Destiny itself?

I hope MCC or guardians does clans right.

Nope, you're not missing anything. It really is that ass-backwards. For a social shared world shooter, Destiny is remarkably stingy with the "social" and "shared" bits.

It's really the only thing I don't like about Destiny. I wish I could talk to random people with proximity voice.

Yes dancing is fun, and yes 90% of the people would probably be asshats, but idc.

FyreWulff

Cross posting because that Destiny OT2 is moving like lightning...

Pretty sure they had to do that if they wanted clans to be cross-platform. Rock Band Blitz let you score duel cross-platform 360<->PS3, so they used Facebook as the intermediate to do so, and you had to issue the duel via the facebook app. You couldn't do it from in-game.

Blame both first parties for their refusal to allow integration and their complete lack of actual system-level clan functionality

Top Bottom