• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT: Anniversary| So fades the great harvest of our betrayal.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Chief I need you to save me, from this bullshit called Crucible
Seriously. I enjoyed it in the beta but somehow I can't stand it now. I honestly think it's because of all the MCC footage I've seen in the past few weeks.

Edit : There's a thing in Destiny called a Nightfall Strike. It's funny how much vocabulary Destiny and the various new Halo stuff are sharing.

Fuchsdh

Wow, those Destiny user Metascores are... poor. Uniformly poor. That's pretty surprising to me, usually post-hype intense backlash by the minority doesn't start up so early.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Wow, those Destiny user Metascores are... poor. Uniformly poor. That's pretty surprising to me, usually post-hype intense backlash by the minority doesn't start up so early.

To be fair, myself and pretty much every single student living in a dorm right now are unable to play the game.

I'll give it til the weekend then I'll look at refund options. So incredibly disappointed.

Pretty sure they had to do that if they wanted clans to be cross-platform. Rock Band Blitz let you score duel cross-platform 360<->PS3, so they used Facebook as the intermediate to do so, and you had to issue the duel via the facebook app. You couldn't do it from in-game.

Blame both first parties for their refusal to allow integration and their complete lack of actual system-level clan functionality

Yeah I had a suspicion it would be something like that, it's somewhat logical. However developers do release entire game versions specific for consoles/servers and it would be nice to even have a pure Xbox One clan for example. I mean why not just stick to the platform, it's not like you're allowed to play from X1 against PS4 players anyway.

Come on Xbox One when are we getting real clans back?

The game is pretty bland if you already played borderlands to be honest but cant undeny that activision marketing.

I wonder if fan boys are posting negative reviews on the opposite console in hope of making the game seem more appealing on their device.

Mix

I'm really disappointed that no one in here is liking it that much :/ I on the other hand am in love with it. There are things wrong, don't get me wrong: The campaign could be a bit more full (I'm at the part where
you get the Vex Gate Keeper's head for the Queen.
) but other than that it's fantastic. I think its a solid effort for the first game Bungie has done that WASN'T Halo since 2001.

If we don't accept any changes Halo is gunna get dull very fast.
I don't know if I totally agree with this statement. While it's true that video games are slightly different, real-life sports never change and we never get tired of them. Why is that? Obviously, newer games need to look better, have better net code, an engaging story, and other various improvements, but simply changing halo for the sake of changing halo has yet to work and really is a silly argument imo. Halo obviously isn't dull if so many people are this excited about the master chief collection.

I'm really disappointed that no one in here is liking it that much :/ I on the other hand am in love with it. There are things wrong, don't get me wrong: The campaign could be a bit more full (I'm at the part where
) but other than that it's fantastic. I think its a solid effort for the first game Bungie has done that WASN'T Halo since 2001.
I'm liking the game. I'm lvl 10 warlock but I'm becoming bored with the class not the game.

Trey

the critical consensus on Destiny is gonna be fascinating

I knew I could trust my gut - the game does little more than what Borderlands already did. Destiny is a 7/8 game when I wanted something to build upon Halo.

I remember when Bungie released that farewell to Halo vidoc. Those last few moments that showed super early Destiny snippets...hope swelled.

Maybe with Destiny 2.

Maybe putting a game out on both last gen and current gen consoles doesn't really hurt how good the game will be, but I'm not gonna lie - can't wait until developers start focusing solely on next gen. Gives me goose bumps thinking about Halo 5.

I don't know if I totally agree with this statement. While it's true that video games are slightly different, real-life sports never change and we never get tired of them. Why is that? Obviously, newer games need to look better, have better net code, an engaging story, and other various improvements, but simply changing halo for the sake of changing halo has yet to work and really is a silly argument imo. Halo obviously isn't dull if so many people are this excited about the master chief collection.

I'd like to see more focus on elements such as map design, map interactivity, coop cloud or input latency reduction and even new gametypes. While I appreciate the lengths they go to redesigning models, UI, mechanics, audio, textures and more I'd be perfectly happy with a large percentage simply having attention of resources to the "right places".

I understand those right places are very different for many types of fans/players but the lesser percentage of change should be new modes or playlists and not total redesigns. Honestly I'd love to see the MCC unified interface become a vehicle to streamline development and focus resources on what I started with here e.g. maps, gametypes, interactivity, large scale modes etc.

Campaign go nuts with, change it up and keep it fresh but multiplayer IMO is quite capable of change through content rather than wide sweeping design or development changes. As you say sports update themselves but rarely have wide sweeping changes e.g. chess or soccer or tennis etc.

They introduce new tournaments or events (gametypes and playlists) but the base mechanics are over a much larger time scale. When you look at say tennis the string, racquet, ball, fitness and major changes happen over decades. I suppose games are a far more rapid and condensed timeline for changes. I'd like to see developers focus what they design and develop into more meaningful content.

Look at Ricochet for example and some of the DLC maps, I wonder if all those resources and time invested in redeveloping mechanics of Halo 4 at launch and then redeveloping back to turbo and current day could have produced more gems like ricochet or sandbox balance at launch or the events/tournies we see over the last year or quality DLC maps ready at launch etc.

Sure hindsight and retrospective is easy to sit here and talk about but I'd like to see more focus on these parts of the deliverables to gamers. One thing to note though with dedis, a new console and XBL platform we're going to see major changes with Guardians IMO. I'm perfectly fine with that but let us not forget about content e.g. Forge, Assault, tourny custom options, ricochet at launch, maps to the levels of H2/3 etc.

IHaveIce

Banned
Destiny shows how bad Bungie is in writing a good game story and narrative.

Destiny always seemed to be an fusion of Halo, Borderlands and a more MMO aspect of games, though in the final game it shows in it not as good as the called games in their department.

Gunplay, PVP and Enmeies are better in Halo.
dungeons, bosses and loot ( also enemies) are better in borderlands.
And their mmo aspect is laughable, small hubs just to spam emoticons, no trading(though with what loot) & and you only see with luck 4 people in an area, which makes public events lile taking down a spider tank too far.

Destiny 2 will probably be fantastic

I'd like to see more focus on elements such as map design, map interactivity, coop cloud or input latency reduction and even new gametypes. While I appreciate the lengths they go to redesigning models, UI, mechanics, audio, textures and more I'd be perfectly happy with a large percentage simply having attention of resources to the "right places".

I understand those right places are very different for many types of fans/players but the lesser percentage of change should be new modes or playlists and not total redesigns. Honestly I'd love to see the MCC unified interface become a vehicle to streamline development and focus resources on what I started with here e.g. maps, gametypes, interactivity, large scale modes etc.

Campaign go nuts with, change it up and keep it fresh but multiplayer IMO is quite capable of change through content rather than wide sweeping design or development changes. As you say sports update themselves but rarely have wide sweeping changes e.g. chess or soccer or tennis etc.

They introduce new tournaments or events (gametypes and playlists) but the base mechanics are over a much larger time scale. When you look at say tennis the string, racquet, ball, fitness and major changes happen over decades. I suppose games are a far more rapid and condensed timeline for changes. I'd like to see developers focus what they design and develop into more meaningful content.

Look at Ricochet for example and some of the DLC maps, I wonder if all those resources and time invested in redeveloping mechanics of Halo 4 at launch and then redeveloping back to turbo and current day could have produced more gems like ricochet or sandbox balance at launch or the events/tournies we see over the last year or quality DLC maps ready at launch etc.

Sure hindsight and retrospective is easy to sit here and talk about but I'd like to see more focus on these parts of the deliverables to gamers. One thing to note though with dedis, a new console and XBL platform we're going to see major changes with Guardians IMO. I'm perfectly fine with that but let us not forget about content e.g. Forge, Assault, tourny custom options, ricochet at launch, maps to the levels of H2/3 etc.
Absolutely this. With a proven formula for success that the first Halo games have given, it would be awesome to see 343 really batten down the hatches on the things you mention.

And with Halo TV coming, I hope they do online tournaments on a regular basis where anyone can join. Maybe 343 is already working on an online tournament lobby, but they need to if they haven't started yet.

Seriously, just something you jump into like the regular matchmaking/custom game lobby.
Halo-2-Anniversary-Custom-Game-Lobby.jpg

Require a small to moderate entry fee to keep things serious while allowing anyone to enter if they choose. Streaming tournament matches, at least the later rounds, on halo tv would/will be pretty sweet. Am I getting ahead of myself? The idea at least sounds pretty epic to me.

Madness

Maybe putting a game out on both last gen and current gen consoles doesn't really hurt how good the game will be, but I'm not gonna lie - can't wait until developers start focusing solely on next gen. Gives me goose bumps thinking about Halo 5.

Next gen hardware doesn't make up for the design decisions. It just seems like they had a great idea and in the end, it's not always easy to make a game out of that idea, or guarantee it will be fun.

Based on the PvP and Iron Banner it seems like Bungie didn't get a damn clue from the reception of Halo: Reach.

daedalius

Destiny shows how bad Bungie is in writing a good game story and narrative.

Destiny always seemed to be an fusion of Halo, Borderlands and a more MMO aspect of games, though in the final game it shows in it not as good as the called games in their department.

Gunplay, PVP and Enmeies are better in Halo.
dungeons, bosses and loot ( also enemies) are better in borderlands.
And their mmo aspect is laughable, small hubs just to spam emoticons, no trading(though with what loot) & and you only see with luck 4 people in an area, which makes public events lile taking down a spider tank too far.

Destiny 2 will probably be fantastic

Dungeons bosses and loot are better in borderlands?

You already finished all the strikes and raids in destiny huh? Glad you have such an informed opinion.

NOKYARD

How is this even possible? No option to back order, or purchase now and ship when stock arrives.

ibzD3szWii22sL.jpg

Well, that decides it. PS4 for me.

as if

Madness

How is this even possible? No option to back order, or purchase now and ship when stock arrives.

ibzD3szWii22sL.jpg

Well, that decides it. PS4 for me.

Gotta be quick on these things, especially when those slickdeals type sites get wind of it. Though I think it runs through the 13th, they'll probably update stock soon.

NOKYARD

Gotta be quick on these things, especially when those slickdeals type sites get wind of it. Though I think it runs through the 13th, they'll probably update stock soon.

11th.

They were offering the "Free Game and a $50 Xbox Gift Card" deal on the Sunset Overdrive Bundle pre-order but it was pulled down earlier today.

11th.

They were offering the "Free Game and a $50 Xbox Gift Card" deal on the Sunset Overdrive Bundle pre-order but it was pulled down earlier today.
When I first saw the different deals from Microsoft, my immediate reaction was to cancel my preorder through Gamestop. But then I keep remembering why i went through Gamestop. Was able to trade in about 75$ worth of games to go toward the Sunset Overdrive bundle. So, I'm only forking out $325 dollars instead of $400. Plus, I have other stuff I might trade in also, which would knock the price down even more. Not the greatest value on trade-ins but not the worst either.

Vico

I don't know what 343 should do with Halo 5, but for love of God 343 pleases make sure Zombies can hold weapons thank you.

To be fair, infected using a claw arm was a big demand from fans (even me, honestly, and I was disappointed when I saw they looked nothing like the old flood), though I agree they shouldn't have removed the ability to also have a weapon.

RowdyReverb

I think Destiny could have been better if it wasn't cross-gen. The open world could be much more seamless if they didn't have to take 512mb RAM into account. As it stands, it feels like a big open world game that is split into small, discrete chunks.

Woorloog

Banned
I think Destiny could have been better if it wasn't cross-gen. The open world could be much more seamless if they didn't have to take 512mb RAM into account. As it stands, it feels like a big open world game that is split into small, discrete chunks.

Based on the beta, it felt like it was connecting larger open areas from Halo's mission, not a true open world MMO. A bit like Reach's second mission, or ODST's structure overall (indeed i think Bungie tested various concepts for Destiny in ODST and Reach).
This wasn't really an issue in itself...But it sure didn't net any points in my eyes.

EDIT Not surprised about the poor story(telling). The little there was in the beta was uninteresting and uninspiring. And of course, after that mess called Reach (and really, ODST too, and Halo 3), i haven't had any faith in Bungie's ability to tell stories anymore.

willow ve

the critical consensus on Destiny is gonna be fascinating

The early impressions compiled on Metacritic are mixed (this link is for critic reviews - not general users).

http://www.metacritic.com/feature/destiny-ps4-xbox-early-reviews-and-observations

I think the game could be in for a bit of trouble if the user base drops off. The beta, at times, felt very very empty. If they can't keep the population count up then they lose most of their unique appeal for Destiny.

-----

In other news any thoughts about a potential X1 Black Friday deal? I would jump on the current X1 sale but Madden and Forza have a limited resale value (that is falling) and Destiny doesn't really interest me at the moment (maybe when there's more DLC that will change).

Fuchsdh

The early impressions compiled on Metacritic are mixed (this link is for critic reviews - not general users).

http://www.metacritic.com/feature/destiny-ps4-xbox-early-reviews-and-observations

I think the game could be in for a bit of trouble if the user base drops off. The beta, at times, felt very very empty. If they can't keep the population count up then they lose most of their unique appeal for Destiny.

There's no way Destiny hasn't sold oodles though. So unless 1/2 the population has been locked out of playing it, I don't see any reason why it wouldn't be as "populated" as they let it--which compared to an MMO isn't that busy. Maybe the issue is one of expectations.

Will be interesting to see its longevity though, this is true. Either way I feel like I made the right choice holding off.

I am really enjoying it, and I've only redone the beta stuff. My friends who didn't really like Halo are enjoying it too. The guns are satisfying to shoot, and the enemies (so far) are fun to fight against. Yea missions are repetitive but I really don't mind lol.

Destiny PvP is better than Reach and Halo 4. I enjoy
Yup.

Top Bottom