• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT: Anniversary| So fades the great harvest of our betrayal.

What's the scoop on playlists for MCC? I know there is an all game hopper, but will it also split between playlists? Can I play big team and have it switch through all games as well? I ask because I feel big team has been dead since halo 2's became unranked. If it is ranked again that would be awesome.

Sephzilla

The mixed consensus on Destiny so far has kind of reignited a dormant fear I've had with Bungie. I think they plateaued around Halo 2 & 3 and haven't been able to really take anything besides baby steps forward ever since.

I don't know what 343 should do with Halo 5, but for love of God 343 pleases make sure Zombies can hold weapons thank you.

Well I think dynamic features in H2A remade maps should somewhat carry onto separate MP modes like firefight or spops and even maybe campaign in future halos.

VinFTW

Damn.

Wonder how he would describe H4.

The best MP game ever!

/s

No but seriously, Destiny PvP is not good. It had potential but with small maps as strategic as Halo and having this many 1 hit kill abilities and weapons really makes it just a mindless run and gun.

Hope they balance it plenty in the coming days, I want to love it as much as I love the SP.

m23

Anyone in Toronto interested in coming to X14 tonight? I may have an extra ticket or two. Emphasis on "may." No promises. They will have MCC there along with other upcoming games.

IHaveIce

Banned
Dungeons bosses and loot are better in borderlands?

You already finished all the strikes and raids in destiny huh? Glad you have such an informed opinion.
I saw a lot of streams of high level players already yes bzt thanks your snarky comments are always welcome I seriously never read anything else by you.

Also you can already say that loot and bosses are worse after the first strike.

Again thanks for your concerns.

jem0208

Dungeons bosses and loot are better in borderlands?

You already finished all the strikes and raids in destiny huh? Glad you have such an informed opinion.

Well, Borderlands is the king of loot and Destiny just plain sucks in comparison.

Even very early loot from Borderlands was far more interesting.

Omni

If there's one thing I want other developers (namely 343i) to take inspiration from in Destiny, it's the art style. In particular a colour pallet that isn't practically monotone and doesn't look like it has been rubbed in dirt

This looks much better
Venus_desktop.jpg

Destiny-mars-venus-15.jpg
than something like this

Obvious 'next-gen' improvements aside. I mean Halo 4 is such an ugly game at times. Those shades of brown and green... just ew. What were they thinking.

daedalius

I saw a lot of streams of high level players already yes bzt thanks your snarky comments are always welcome I seriously never read anything else by you.

Also you can already say that loot and bosses are worse after the first strike.

Again thanks for your concerns.

Uh huh

Well, Borderlands is the king of loot and Destiny just plain sucks in comparison.

Even very early loot from Borderlands was far more interesting.

King of loot eh? I sure think that when I sell 99% of it

Doesn't really matter, I am enjoying it.

The drop rates for engram's and the stretch of loot is few and far between in destiny. Its not like borderlands and the deeblo 3.

I don't feel rewarded for kills and completion of objectives.

daedalius

Considering the amount of loot you get, that 1% is still more that what you'll get from all of Destiny...

I guess you prefer loot bukkake?

The drop rates for engram's and the stretch of loot is few and far between in destiny. Its not like borderlands and the deeblo 3.

I don't feel rewarded for kills and completion of objectives.

Go do the daily and weekly nightfall missions, get loot.

Just got my HaloGAF tshirt in the post - I believe I owe thanks to 'feels' (the artist formerly known as letters) for the design?

WP_20140910_17_10_51_Pro.jpg

Really good quality tshirt too!

I remember there being more designs on the GAF tshirt store - what happened to them?

NOKYARD

Anyone in Toronto interested in coming to X14 tonight? I may have an extra ticket or two. Emphasis on "may." No promises. They will have MCC there along with other upcoming games.
Wish i could but no cash.

In a heated battle of wits with a Microsoft chat (bot?) right now over the "Out of Stock so no free game issue".

NOKYARD

How can they be 'out of stock' of digital downloads?!
The base console is out of stock. No system in place for back orders or rain checks.

It's free. I probably should have mentioned that.
Fishing change out from between the couch cushions to fund the above so i don't have the gas/Wendy's money for the 130 km drive to TO.

In a heated battle of wits with a Microsoft chat (bot?) right now over the "Out of Stock so no free game issue".
I think they hung up on me. No response from them for 28 minutes.

daedalius

It's true. It is its own thing, not clinging on to past games, while throwing shit on top of it.

Definitely better than vanilla Reach, definitely better than Infinity H4.

Fun in a different way than Legendary H4/H2a etc.

You shouldn't have to do just nightfall missions to get decent loot. They need to adjust the drop rate honestly.

You shouldn't have to do anything difficult to get showered in loot. Sounds totally reasonable.

Ramirez

The amount of fun you're going to have in Destiny is also tied to the people you're playing with. Loot games and MMOs are awful by yourself, nothing new.

I think me, blood, and Luke lost one game out of probably 20 last night, good times. Team Deathmatch is terrible, stay in Control or 3v3. TDM without an objective really brings the BS to the top with people camping map edges with snipers, etc.

You shouldn't have to do anything difficult to get showered in loot. Sounds totally reasonable.
That's not what I mean, and you damn well know it. But you seem to be crabby today so I'm not even going to continue this thread of reasoning.

daedalius

That's not what I mean, and you damn well know it. But you seem to be crabby today so I'm not even going to continue this thread of reasoning.

Alright then to be honest, I'm kind of looking at this through a WoW lens, where I am not expecting much decent loot until endgame.

I wouldn't be opposed to all of the bosses/minibosses in a strike dropping engrams though; and I think that is a lot more common later on and at higher difficulties.

I'm not exactly sure how specific loot is rewarded other than running strikes/raids; my strategy guide isn't terribly clear on where certain items are found, just "strike loot" etc. Leads me to believe you can just RNG get any of that loot out of doing a strike, and anything can potentially drop as an engram.

I wasn't a fan of borderlands loot or diablo loot, I much prefer the style that WoW had with targeting specific dungeons/bosses for what you wanted. It also wasn't loot bukkake; you'd be lucky to get one drop out of a raid for yourself. I'm sure there are people that don't like that!

Sephzilla

If there's one thing I want other developers (namely 343i) to take inspiration from in Destiny, it's the art style. In particular a colour pallet that isn't practically monotone and doesn't look like it has been rubbed in dirt

This looks much better

than something like this

Obvious 'next-gen' improvements aside. I mean Halo 4 is such an ugly game at times. Those shades of brown and green... just ew. What were they thinking.

I actually think I disagree.

Visuals was one of the things I actually disliked about Destiny during the beta. Colors didn't seem that vibrant to me and nothing visually really stuck with me mentally.

Alright then to be honest, I'm kind of looking at this through a WoW lens, where I am not expecting much decent loot until endgame.

I wouldn't be opposed to all of the bosses/minibosses in a strike dropping engrams though; and I think that is a lot more common later on and at higher difficulties.

I'm not exactly sure how specific loot is rewarded other than running strikes/raids; my strategy guide isn't terribly clear on where certain items are found, just "strike loot" etc. Leads me to believe you can just RNG get any of that loot out of doing a strike, and anything can potentially drop as an engram.

I wasn't a fan of borderlands loot or diablo loot, I much prefer the style that WoW had with targeting specific dungeons/bosses for what you wanted. It also wasn't loot bukkake; you'd be lucky to get one drop out of a raid for yourself. I'm sure there are people that don't like that!

For me, I think that really challenging fights should be rewarded with loot. Like, each "phase" of the Devil's Lair strike (defend Dinklebot, kill spider tank, kill giant eye) should really have a guaranteed drop of at least 1 green. I've gotten all the way through it without a single piece of non-common loot dropping. That's just whack.

Next gen hardware doesn't make up for the design decisions. It just seems like they had a great idea and in the end, it's not always easy to make a game out of that idea, or guarantee it will be fun.

Based on the PvP and Iron Banner it seems like Bungie didn't get a damn clue from the reception of Halo: Reach.
Nah, it was more just a design decision to make Destiny this way. It's not that Bungie didn't have a clue, because how couldn't they? This is one reason I love hearing Max talk about the past and Bungie's resistance to what Halo's loyal wanted out of the game they poured countless hours into. Just further confirms the image many people had of Bungie for many years, and it's still an image they're maintaining.

Even in Destiny interviews with DeeJ there's this smug, snark attitude he puts on whenever describing how hardcore players can even get excitement out of Destiny. It's so apparent (around 6:20 in this video, for example), and can you honestly tell me this kind of attitude (which is normal and fine for people to have, because after all we are just people) can't possibly be present among the people who have power at Bungie? It's always been apparent in their game design, it's always been apparent in their comments and mannerisms, but people blindly accept the words their favorites devs/public figures/people feed them.

Not saying Bungie always hated Halo and its fanbase, but I wouldn't doubt if they are finally glad to be disconnected from the franchise, at least from a multiplayer perspective. Ownership of the franchise is another thing.
The mixed consensus on Destiny so far has kind of reignited a dormant fear I've had with Bungie. I think they plateaued around Halo 2 & 3 and haven't been able to really take anything besides baby steps forward ever since.
I don't think you're the only one feeling that way, unfortunately.

I don't know.. Take the Halo out of Infinity H4 and I think it can be pretty fun if taken to the next level. Otherwise, I agree.
I actually think I disagree.

Visuals was one of the things I actually disliked about Destiny during the beta. Colors didn't seem that vibrant to me and nothing visually really stuck with me mentally.
Yeah, I never really liked the visuals of Destiny too much either. I don't really like the grittiness and art style used for some of the environments that we're going to be spending a lot of time in, like Old Russia. Old Russia, to me, is like an uglier version of Reach in 1080p ;\

The game's fun with friends though and I'm sure I'll get my time/money's worth.

WoW drove me crazy with how low the drop percentages were for Naxx.

Top Bottom