• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT: Anniversary| So fades the great harvest of our betrayal.

Kibbles

"The prerelease, unfinished build of the game I played was unfinished and incomplete and since we're months away from release it left me worried"

Blah. I'm all for shitting on the game for legitimate problems but what was he expecting? I'm not even going to bother reading the rest of that. I regret giving it my click.

2 months, game goes gold next month I imagine.

Ramirez

I guess that Halo 4 audio for the announcer is here to stay in H2A?? That and the medals need to change, plz.

I also feel like the Gungoose misses the point of the intended use of the Goose, but whatever.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
There is a reason I stopped reading Kotaku.
Just look at these choice quotes from the article.

"Admittedly, it was a lot slower than the modern shooters I've grown accustomed to"

"I'm concerned, then, despite the fact that on the whole Halo 2 Anniversary's multiplayer played quite well. It feels a little ancient these days."

These so-called journos just spout this shit and never really say why they think this. Anyone who's seen or played the H2A multiplayer has said it's never been faster, the movement speed, strafe, and 60fps are so fluid and fast. So how is it a lot slower than modern shooters? Has this guy played modern shooters? Aside from the boost of sprint, everything from aiming sights, jumping, crouching, crawling is so slow.

And then second part about it feeling ancient, I just knew people will write that. I've been saying it since Halo 4 launch, that if 343 went for the classic 1-3 game play without the stuff Reach/Halo 4 introduced, you'll have people say, the game play is ancient, dated, etc.

A new sidescrolling Mario where you still jump on enemies heads never will get the words dated/ancient game play in articles. But Halo, when it goes back to its roots of equal starts, fast movement, on map weapons, gets it because it doesn't have perks, loadouts, killstreaks etc.

It's his opinion though. But the thing I hate most is, if other games you play have something you like, why does Halo need it to? If you're happy with sprint, and 64 player Battlefield and wall running and killstreaks, keep playing those games. Why does every game have to play/look the same? /end rant.

Preach.

This is how I felt with Halo 4, and it's still how I feel today.

Glad H2A is sticking with the "old school" style.

I think this is the Halo 3 footage running at 60fps, unless my eyes are deceiving me!

http://uk.ign.com/videos/2014/09/17/halo-the-master-chief-collection-halo-3s-visual-upgrades

You're eyes are deceiving you. The game may be running at 60, but that video feed sure isn't.

RoKKeR

Something about this picture just hits me man. It's like a weird feeling of nostalgia. It's beautiful. The clouds, the sky in general, the lighting on the spartans, the overgrown features.. It looks like how Halo 2 looked to babby old me back in the day..

God damn the visor looks fucking amazing.

About time 343 did a proper visor! We haven't had good ones since Halo 3 IMO.

Saw the halo 3 stuff earlier on this morning, I could definatly see a distinct difference in the visuals. Cant wait to speedrun it in 60 fps and 1080p!

CyReN

That 60FPS H2A gameplay..

Leonardo-Dicaprio-Oh-My-God-Fist-Bite-The-Wolf-of-Wall-Street.gif

HTupolev

When 343i say that they've improved Halo 3's lighting, am I the only one who irrationally thinks that they'll screw it up somehow?

I don't know why. Halo 3's HDR lighting was amazing. I can see them cutting it back to gain performance. And I'd still like to know about AA tbh
I'm somewhat curious about that. Some of Halo 3's technical decisions might actually be a better fit for XB1 than 360. The huge boost in ALU capabilities might take some of the edge off of the Cook-Torrance lighting, and GCN's superior support for high-precision buffer formats could mean an improvement in blending performance that goes above and beyond the raw increase in ROPS and clock.

I'm somewhat curious about that. Some of Halo 3's technical decisions might actually be a better fit for XB1 than 360. The huge boost in ALU capabilities might take some of the edge off of the Cook-Torrance lighting, and GCN's superior support for high-precision buffer formats could mean an improvement in blending performance that goes above and beyond the raw increase in ROPS and clock.
I love reading posts like these even though i have no idea what they mean, they just look cool and reminds me how deep the halo rabbit hole goes.

IHaveIce

Banned
Zanzibar looks good though I agree with Ramirez the gungoose kinda misses the point what the purpose of the mongoose was. Are bornal mongooses also in there? Because that would be even stranger.

But I have to admit H2A' campaign does look kinda disappointing visual wise, ofc you can only do so much with a visual layer running on top of it but still.

Though the MP looks just awesome, from what I've played it also plays really good, and I disagree with Dax it doesn't felt slow, especially not cimpared to other halo 3.
Though you all will just try to sprint because it is in the muscle memory.

Madness

3 was the slowest it's ever been wasn't it?

I'd say at times Reach felt a lot slower than 3 too, especially if you didn't have the sprint armor ability. But yeah, H2A definitely doesn't appear to be as slow as Halo 3 to me. I mean Halo 4 had a faster movement speed than Halo 3 and H2A definitely has faster movement/jumping than in H4, but this is something you obviously have to play I guess to find out.

On an unrelated note, why was Booties banned?

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State

"Admittedly, it was a lot slower than the modern shooters I've grown accustomed to"

"I'm concerned, then, despite the fact that on the whole Halo 2 Anniversary's multiplayer played quite well. It feels a little ancient these days."

These so-called journos just spout this shit and never really say why they think this. Anyone who's seen or played the H2A multiplayer has said it's never been faster, the movement speed, strafe, and 60fps are so fluid and fast. So how is it a lot slower than modern shooters? Has this guy played modern shooters? Aside from the boost of sprint, everything from aiming sights, jumping, crouching, crawling is so slow.

And then second part about it feeling ancient, I just knew people will write that. I've been saying it since Halo 4 launch, that if 343 went for the classic 1-3 game play without the stuff Reach/Halo 4 introduced, you'll have people say, the game play is ancient, dated, etc.

A new sidescrolling Mario where you still jump on enemies heads never will get the words dated/ancient game play in articles. But Halo, when it goes back to its roots of equal starts, fast movement, on map weapons, gets it because it doesn't have perks, loadouts, killstreaks etc.

It's his opinion though. But the thing I hate most is, if other games you play have something you like, why does Halo need it to? If you're happy with sprint, and 64 player Battlefield and wall running and killstreaks, keep playing those games. Why does every game have to play/look the same? /end rant.

You summed up his argument within yours. Halo 2 does feel slower than a lot of modern shooters due to lack of sprint. I had to readjust my brain when I played H2A at PAX, as will a lot of people. It's not necessarily a bad thing, that's how the game was built, but there's a reason he says it feels slower. In Halo 1-3 you've always looked like you're taking a nice stroll through the park when navigating maps, but that's the way it was designed.

His comment is not necessarily wrong, he just pushes it as a negative aspect of the game when in reality it's just simply "an" aspect of the game, neither necessarily positive or negative.

dwells

That Kotaku article was worrying. I've noticed frame drops in almost all the footage they've released, and the game is very close to going gold right now. Microsoft says the build they demoed was four months old, which only raises more questions: why are journalists being shown a four month old build of a game that goes gold in a month and change?

The Collection was pitched to us as 1080p 60FPS everything, but H2A at least is 8??p inconsistent FPS. Obviously the game isn't finished and there's still time, but it's not a lot of time. By comparison, Halo 3's beta was four and a half months before launch, and its performance and visuals were pretty much what the finished title looked like.

My concerns regarding fragmentation of the population were echoed as well. What I wanted out of a Halo 2 Anniversary was the ability to go hop into a ranked Team Hardcore, Team Slayer, etc. match and have it feel like Halo 2 did on Xbox - lots of players to match against, highly competitive.

Of course, the Xbox One install base is much smaller than the original Xbox was in 2004, and I suspect the attach rate ratio for Master Chief Collection will be lower than the massively anticipated Halo 2. Mix in the fact that there's now five different multiplayers included, and it seems unlikely/impossible that you'll be able to search a specific playlist for a specific game and have a suitably large population.

It also worries me how little detail we've gotten thus far. We haven't seen any Halo 1 at all, extremely little Halo 3, and no Halo 4. We know absolutely nothing about the dedicated servers, netcode tweaks, etc. As this week's update shows, pretty much no real info is being shared. It's certainly a far, far cry from how the community was engaged in Halo 2's development.

The Master Chief Collection is the most excited I've been for a game since Halo 2 ten years ago and holds the potential to get me back into gaming, but boy does it have me worried.

1. fuck kotaku
2. fuck that guy
3. see 1 and 2.

Just Googled the author of that article too... No comment.
Who is he?
That 60FPS H2A gameplay..

Leonardo-Dicaprio-Oh-My-God-Fist-Bite-The-Wolf-of-Wall-Street.gif
mc63t.gif

Will probably be able to afford the One by next weekend.

The Magic of Managing Your Finances....­™
gonna get Reach 2.0?

Captain Friendo

Neo Member
Seeing a bit of hate for H2A's visuals online and i'm personally surprised. Even though I think halo 3 has the best art style, Halo 2A looks like it's fulfilling its purpose really well - that being improving Halo 2's assets while retaining a faithful Halo 2 art style, more than CEA did. (Which I still liked.)

Those new Zanzibar shots though, wow. Seeing the blue Earth skybox again, brings back its own weird sense of nostalgia.

Madness

IGN gave Destiny 7.8/10 and I agree with it. Overall it's just an average FPS loot game, with some rpg/mom aspects. There is nothing special about it at all. It's best aspect is probably the music and Marty isn't there anymore, though to be fair, some of the gunplay and the visuals are very nice as well, but the locales are wasted and a bit limited. Nothing to do really do. The PvP is an unbalanced mess, though 3v3 is perhaps decent enough. The social aspects are so limited I don't even know why they wasted time. The story is poorly written and told etc.

It's amazing how many are saying wait for more content or Destiny 2. Usually the first game in a trilogy or series is often the best one.

2 people on my friends list (Mostly all decades long Bungie/Halo fans) have already traded it in, while the rest are just playing the carrot loot game where they gotta get as good a weapon as possible. Just my thoughts.

Omni

Seeing a bit of hate for H2A's visuals online and i'm personally surprised. Even though I think halo 3 has the best art style, Halo 2A looks like it's fulfilling its purpose really well - that being improving Halo 2's assets while retaining a faithful Halo 2 art style, more than CEA did. (Which I still liked.)

Those new Zanzibar shots though, wow. Seeing the blue Earth skybox again, brings back its own weird sense of nostalgia.
I personally was hoping that they'd take a few more artistic liberties with Halo 2. Look at CEA for example
and then Halo 2:A

It's kinda... boring. The jump doesn't seem all that apparent. Granted it'll no doubt look good when we play, but 343i could have done a whole lot more while still being faithful to the original, IMO. That said, I know that people disliked the changes in CEA because they were perhaps a little too drastic. But I absolutely loved it. So much colour and variety. I honestly can't wait to see it in 1080p and 60fps

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I personally was hoping that they'd take a few more artistic liberties with Halo 2. Look at CEA for example

It's kinda... boring. The jump doesn't seem all that apparent. Granted it'll no doubt look good when we play, but 343i could have done a whole lot more while still being faithful to the original, IMO. That said, I know that people disliked the changes in CEA because they were perhaps a little too drastic. But I absolutely loved it. So much colour and variety. I honestly can't wait to see it in 1080p and 60fps

I was chatting with a producer on the title at his desk today when he loaded up Silent Cartographer and just handed me the controller. I played for a bit before I realized I should probably get back to work lol.

Captain Friendo

Neo Member
But I absolutely loved [CEA]. So much colour and variety. I honestly can't wait to see it in 1080p and 60fps
Absolutely agree. I actually enjoyed the way 3 and Reach assets were implemented. It brought the game up to code with the rest of the universe while giving it its own new and interesting art style, and made it feel like a sequel to Reach in a really neat way.

I was chatting with a producer on the title at his desk today when he loaded up Silent Cartographer and just handed me the controller. I played for a bit before I realized I should probably get back to work lol.
CE Master
Chief
Race

Had a discussion today with a friend today over which was the better $60 package, TMCC or GTAV (if it's $50-60, heck even $40). He is no longer my friend.
Just kidding, we played on XBC for years together, but he's a huge GTA dude who also thinks he can't hang with younger players these days.
I told him he still got it.. but I doubt it'll work ;'[
Believe.

Tawpgun

IGN gave Destiny 7.8/10 and I agree with it. Overall it's just an average FPS loot game, with some rpg/mom aspects. There is nothing special about it at all. It's best aspect is probably the music and Marty isn't there anymore, though to be fair, some of the gunplay and the visuals are very nice as well, but the locales are wasted and a bit limited. Nothing to do really do. The PvP is an unbalanced mess, though 3v3 is perhaps decent enough. The social aspects are so limited I don't even know why they wasted time. The story is poorly written and told etc.

It's amazing how many are saying wait for more content or Destiny 2. Usually the first game in a trilogy or series is often the best one.

2 people on my friends list (Mostly all decades long Bungie/Halo fans) have already traded it in, while the rest are just playing the carrot loot game where they gotta get as good a weapon as possible. Just my thoughts.
Destiny is sweet, you know nothing!

Top Bottom