• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT: Anniversary| So fades the great harvest of our betrayal.

m23

IGN gave Destiny 7.8/10 and I agree with it. Overall it's just an average FPS loot game, with some rpg/mom aspects. There is nothing special about it at all. It's best aspect is probably the music and Marty isn't there anymore, though to be fair, some of the gunplay and the visuals are very nice as well, but the locales are wasted and a bit limited. Nothing to do really do. The PvP is an unbalanced mess, though 3v3 is perhaps decent enough. The social aspects are so limited I don't even know why they wasted time. The story is poorly written and told etc.

It's amazing how many are saying wait for more content or Destiny 2. Usually the first game in a trilogy or series is often the best one.

2 people on my friends list (Mostly all decades long Bungie/Halo fans) have already traded it in, while the rest are just playing the carrot loot game where they gotta get as good a weapon as possible. Just my thoughts.

I agree on a lot of points here. The music was the best part of the encounters for me. I only got up to Venus though before I traded it in.

TheOddOne

The quality of console games have increased since the last decade and that is one of the factors why people move on to newer games faster. Last gen was more of an upstart, the ratio of good to great games was smaller and people stuck by them because there was little else that could satisfy the level of quality they were accustomed to. Communities use to form faster because of that, the longer people stayed, the more there was reason to discuss every nook and cranny of the games they played.

The PC seems to be the place the communities though, because the quality of PC games these games is way, way higher and people aspect more and more on that platform. This also means they are very difficult to covert to new games.

I know that feel. Every "boss" fight feels like such a boring chore. :(

The gameplay is just down right tedious.

My two close friends that I play with, one's given up hope like me, and the other still likes it.

I'm not upset by it merely by the reasoning that this isn't the old Bungie I grew up with.

me too man....FUCK

I pulled an Elzar ;_;

Bungie whyyyyy I should have remembered
Reach

Did you pay $60?

I just got the standard edition from the US store so I spent a lot less money then I otherwise would have.

TheOddOne

I pulled an Elzar ;_;
Ralph-Wiggum-ralph-wiggum-126975_320_240_large.jpg

Fracas

#fuckonami
I bought the LE and haven't touched it since Tuesday after finishing it with a friend (who has since traded it in).

I dunno. It's just an average game on the whole. There are some good parts but I don't want to grind strikes solo. I haven't redeemed my season pass code yet either...

I bought the LE and haven't touched it since Tuesday after finishing it with a friend (who has since traded it in).

I dunno. It's just an average game on the whole. There are some good parts but I don't want to grind strikes solo. I haven't redeemed my season pass code yet either...

Season pass? You weren't lying about buying the dumb kid edition

to eBay!

VinFTW

For some reason this video just really hit me and made me realize how fucking incredible this game looks:

http://www.ign.com/videos/2014/09/19/halo-shrine-gameplay-tgs-2014

Now if only those boring black medals would be replaced by those amazing colored ones for 2.

Also, someone on Waypoint was saying Zanzibar's Dynamic Lighting or some shit wasn't stable so they turned it off for the recent gameplay reveal (it WILL be there at launch though)? Did anybody hear anything like this?

Madness

Destiny is sweet, you know nothing!

Don't get me wrong, I love Bungie and am a huge fan, but I'm just saying it, it's a very middling game. The story and campaign is downright boring and confusing, very poorly told. The social aspects are so limited, the world building just isn't there. Look at the Tower in this game, and then compare how the Citadel felt in Mass Effect in 2007. At this point, all anyone is doing is just grinding loot, cheesing encounters to try and get legendaries and exotics. People said this game would have legs for easily a year, but I just don't see it.

I agree on a lot of points here. The music was the best part of the encounters for me. I only got up to Venus though before I traded it in.

Yeah I have two friends who've already traded it in too, and the rest are already done with the so-called "campaign" it seems, and just grinding loot. I wonder how people would've felt about this game if it wasn't by Bungie. I have no doubt the DLC will probably be better, as will Destiny 2.

Madness

Double post, but it seems like they definitely fixed the grenade screen shake. Watching the TGS gameplay, I can't even notice it and it's all I'm looking for. So they're listening and seeing what the community takes notice of. Just like them removing the white text from the middle of the screen as well. Here's hoping the medals get a bit of a change, become more visually distinct, maybe harken back to the older medals, especially for multi-kills. Also, maybe it's just me, but Sanctuary looks visually much better than before. Frank, if you're reading is this a newer visual build?

Edit: The more I see, the more I can't wait to play. Halo 2 Anniversary gameplay is what Halo 4 should have been, or as close to this as possible for launch.

Cow

Here's hoping the medals get a bit of a change, become more visually distinct, maybe harken back to the older medals, especially for multi-kills.
This, bring back H2 style medals. Honestly, how does comeback kill even exist, its just a strange medal to have in a game, basically just telling you that youre trash. no one likes it.

Im happy that medals are my biggest issue with the game though, cant wait to play!

I personally was hoping that they'd take a few more artistic liberties with Halo 2. Look at CEA for example

and then Halo 2:A

It's kinda... boring. The jump doesn't seem all that apparent. Granted it'll no doubt look good when we play, but 343i could have done a whole lot more while still being faithful to the original, IMO. That said, I know that people disliked the changes in CEA because they were perhaps a little too drastic. But I absolutely loved it. So much colour and variety. I honestly can't wait to see it in 1080p and 60fps

The jump does seem apparent. If they take artistic liberties with it, we could end up with some of the not-so-great decisions we got in CEA that really bothered me. This is the way it should be.

willow ve

Hey scrubs,

Doing some LAN of Halo 3 tonight with a group. Is there anywhere you can download the updated maps (ie: most recent weapon spawn locations) and gametypes? Playing on launch settings is going to be stupid.

Does MLG still have settings / map variants you can get somewhere? We probably won't play much MLG, but they had good KOTH and Oddball gametypes.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
The Crucible is rather enjoyable though. I just ignore the other parts of Destiny.

Firefight? That would imply customisation. It's literally just Spartan Ops :lol
I feel the variety of Destiny's simple Patrol mode is more rich and rewarding than anything in Halo 4's Go Here To Press This Button game mode. I would love for 343 to learn some valuable lessons from SpOps' glaring missteps and the successful portions of Destiny that people seem to enjoy and roll them into the next game.

If failure is just success training, then 343 has trained hard with large parts of Halo 4. I'm looking forward to what they bring to the table next.

Tawpgun

Don't get me wrong, I love Bungie and am a huge fan, but I'm just saying it, it's a very middling game. The story and campaign is downright boring and confusing, very poorly told. The social aspects are so limited, the world building just isn't there. Look at the Tower in this game, and then compare how the Citadel felt in Mass Effect in 2007. At this point, all anyone is doing is just grinding loot, cheesing encounters to try and get legendaries and exotics. People said this game would have legs for easily a year, but I just don't see it.

Yeah I have two friends who've already traded it in too, and the rest are already done with the so-called "campaign" it seems, and just grinding loot. I wonder how people would've felt about this game if it wasn't by Bungie. I have no doubt the DLC will probably be better, as will Destiny 2.

Story is super disappointing because of the awesome world and lore they created only to have the games structure take a dump on it. I was a bit jarred by how shallow the campaign is. But then you gotta realize its more like a glorified tutorial/training ground to introduce you to the world, your abilities and your enemies.

Kinda like in Chromehounds where the story was just training for the real game, the online Neroimus War. And in Destiny the real game is Post level 20, gearing up, pvp, strikes, and then the big bad raid.

The social aspects are the most disappointing part imo. There needs to be a better way to interact with the people in the world. Something like an Opt in prox chat would be best, or just someone to go up to someone and have a button when you inspect them that will send an ingame notification to them that you would like to do so and so with them. Like finding people in the tower and specifically asking them if they wanted to do the weekly strike. But right now theres no way of doing that without sending some blind party invite or writing out a long ass message.

The other big disappointment is the open worlds feel empty. Beautiful, but empty. Really wish there were more unique encounters or NPC's around.

The world building is what Destiny did great. The shame is that the story they told didn't really take full advantage. I think grimoire cards having so much lore influence is dumb, especially considering you need a damn app to read them, but when I was bored I was reading through them and they were really interesting, especially the ghost fragment ones.

I think the Tower is fine. From what I remember of the Citadel in ME1 it was roughly the same thing. It's just ME1 lets you choose dialogue.

People in post 20 are in a grind. But if you like the base gameplay (like me) the grind is fun. To the people that replay the same mission for 4 hours to farm... well I can't do that. But the harder level strikes are really intense.

As far as the game having legs, idk. My big goal in sight is the Raid. Once i beat that I don't know what I'm gonna be playing for. It all depends on Bungie's post launch support, which they seem to have a good plan of.

If Destiny keeps adding content and cool events it will be like one of those games where you pick up everytime something new is added in.

Story is super disappointing because of the awesome world and lore they created only to have the games structure take a dump on it. I was a bit jarred by how shallow the campaign is. But then you gotta realize its more like a glorified tutorial/training ground to introduce you to the world, your abilities and your enemies.

Kinda like in Chromehounds where the story was just training for the real game, the online Neroimus War. And in Destiny the real game is Post level 20, gearing up, pvp, strikes, and then the big bad raid.

The social aspects are the most disappointing part imo. There needs to be a better way to interact with the people in the world. Something like an Opt in prox chat would be best, or just someone to go up to someone and have a button when you inspect them that will send an ingame notification to them that you would like to do so and so with them. Like finding people in the tower and specifically asking them if they wanted to do the weekly strike. But right now theres no way of doing that without sending some blind party invite or writing out a long ass message.

The other big disappointment is the open worlds feel empty. Beautiful, but empty. Really wish there were more unique encounters or NPC's around.

The world building is what Destiny did great. The shame is that the story they told didn't really take full advantage. I think grimoire cards having so much lore influence is dumb, especially considering you need a damn app to read them, but when I was bored I was reading through them and they were really interesting, especially the ghost fragment ones.

I think the Tower is fine. From what I remember of the Citadel in ME1 it was roughly the same thing. It's just ME1 lets you choose dialogue.

People in post 20 are in a grind. But if you like the base gameplay (like me) the grind is fun. To the people that replay the same mission for 4 hours to farm... well I can't do that. But the harder level strikes are really intense.

As far as the game having legs, idk. My big goal in sight is the Raid. Once i beat that I don't know what I'm gonna be playing for. It all depends on Bungie's post launch support, which they seem to have a good plan of.

If Destiny keeps adding content and cool events it will be like one of those games where you pick up everytime something new is added in.

I agree about the post-20 grind. I just hit 23 and when I hit 26 I'll be looking for people to do the raid with. I figure HaloGAF is where I'll be finding that party.

It also had... you know... characters.

And yeah, I'm sticking with the game. Part of that is because I went and purchased the Digital Guardian edition like some kind of shmuck, and part of it is because I'm curious in spite of myself about their post-launch content plans.

I dont understand why all the lore was moved to visit on their website/tablets/cellphone and not in the game, they didnt see the feedback in Halo 4?

After you reach level 20 is where you decide if you will play more or just leave the game, you will gain blue stuff to gain more item level aka Light stats but at lvl 24 you enter grind mode and the blue stuff now drops lower item level gear to force you to grind the factions and do dailies and do more low level raids to get marks (capped at 100 marks per week).

So you have to wait another week to grind so you can go spawn killing mobs to get random loots and do more dailies, like forever.

I dont really think Bungie had that idea but more like some WoW guys were helping them to develop that kind of grinding.

Tawpgun

To each their own. It seems like Destiny has been pretty polarizing, and you're right in that people decide if they wanna keep playing after 20.

Personally I love it. The combat is fun and frantic, PvE requires more teamwork than most shooters I played, and it has me hooked. I need to get better gear lol.

Sorry bungle disappointed you guys yet again!

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Seeing the older Halos in so much detail nearly brings a tear to my eye. It's so beautiful.

It's like viewing all of the scenes I painted in my head while reading the early novels when I was young.

rrc1594

Yo there is camo in the game. Na Bungie I'm not about that life and you could teleport like Goku. I'm done I really tried guys I did.

belushy

Banned
Hey scrubs,

Doing some LAN of Halo 3 tonight with a group. Is there anywhere you can download the updated maps (ie: most recent weapon spawn locations) and gametypes? Playing on launch settings is going to be stupid.

Does MLG still have settings / map variants you can get somewhere? We probably won't play much MLG, but they had good KOTH and Oddball gametypes.

I believe the gamertag is "MLG Gametypes" or "MLGGametypes" I think it is the one with the space.

Yep, it is MLG Gametypes.

MLG Gametypes

Booshka

You did the same thing with Halo 4, now you do it with Destiny? Do you remember how much you raged at Halo 4 and regretted throwing so much money at it? Stop falling into the hype train of AAA FPS games. Never buy a season pass before you see what content will be out, and have some sort of semblance of quality/output volume.
I am not a clever man

Well at least you have some self-awareness, let's see what happens with Halo 5.

Fracas

#fuckonami
You did the same thing with Halo 4, now you do it with Destiny? Do you remember how much you raged at Halo 4 and regretted throwing so much money at it? Stop falling into the hype train of AAA FPS games. Never buy a season pass before you see what content will be out, and have some sort of semblance of quality/output volume.

Well at least you have some self-awareness, let's see what happens with Halo 5.

It's not falling into the hype; I really enjoyed the alpha and beta. I assumed it'd be a game that'd stick with me for months.

It turns out my concerns from the beta (cut off locations, weak narrative) that I brushed aside as Bungie not wanting to spoil the game were really just hallmarks of a mediocre final product.

At least I can play Destiny and not immediately want to throw away my console (though I'm pretty much done with it til expansions).

Top Bottom