• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT: Anniversary| So fades the great harvest of our betrayal.

belushy

Banned
I think either I or someone else posted this game in here when it was originally announced, and I think a few people were interested. Here is a new trailer for Toxikk

Shame the name is lame.

Halo still has so much potential, especially on a larger scale. Hoping that BTB is amazing in Halo 5.

2:31 in that TOXIKK vid shows a good idea for that single shot Rocket if it has lock-on.

Pfhunkie

Halo still has so much potential, especially on a larger scale. Hoping that BTB is amazing in Halo 5.
BTB was amazing in Halo PC given the right conditions. Ice Fields was brilliant and a very tiny amount of custom maps with the default sandbox were great with it, too.

I still think the "Warfare" idea that Bungie had from Halo 2 development really could have turned out nicely. It's sort of a shame they had to scrap it but I still really like the outcome it had with all the good maps Halo 2 had.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
I think either I or someone else posted this game in here when it was originally announced, and I think a few people were interested. Here is a new trailer for Toxikk

Shame the name is lame.

So UT2004 with updated graphics. Looks great, and like it would be tons of fun. The color choices for the players leaves something to desired though. Very difficult to pick out against the maps and backdrops.

2:31 in that TOXIKK vid shows a good idea for that single shot Rocket if it has lock-on.

Hopefully they don't focus most of multiplayer on BTB this time though.

Pfhunkie

remember when they focused so many resources to that Invasion thing in Reach the rest of BtB was stuck playing Spire

good times
Are you suggesting Invasion wasn't worth it and that Spire isn't the greatest BTB map to ever grace Halo?

It pained me to pretend to enjoy it while typing that out.

willow ve

Shit - I forgot how much fun 4v4 Halo 3 is on LAN. Larger maps some of the game mechanics fall apart, but games on Narrows, Construct, Guardian, The Pit. What a fun game.

RowdyReverb

I'd gladly play Destiny on Xbox One with any of you folks so I won't be a total stranger when MCC drops. GT is same as my username. I'm level 23 and play sporadically most afternoons, with a mic (unlike 99% of the game's population)

That Halo 3 video is a bit weird..
I can't quite put my finger on it.
And it's strange how they play it entirely without game sounds too. Is it so people will focus on the visuals?
I saw it at PAX and it certainly looked great at 60.

Edit: The renderer stats show the video is definitely 60fps [or at least right on that border], but the in game movement .. am I just getting bamboozled by the 60?

Drunk browsing OT.

Remembering good times doing the same between games with Mark and Matt.

Hopefully we can do so again when MCC comes out.
Was doing this while playing Reach with Colin earlier (before his internet shit the bed). How I missed this post, I'll never know.

Mark's pretty busy with grad school now, so I doubt he'll have much free time for a couple years, but the rest of the gang is still here lol.

Akai__

I just captured (slightly compressed) footage of the same Halo 3 cutscene from the Xbox 360. If anybody wants the cutscene to make a direct comparison, just tell me a good filesharing side and I'll upload it.

Anyways, I like the colors in the Xbox 360 version more. They don't seem to be washed out:

Colors were off, so here are now 3 comparison pictures (Halo 3 normal brightness, Halo 3 higher brightness and Halo 3 on Xbox One):

6p6nCc4.png
KORvwHY.png
LrDt0Vp.png

Maybe I'll try to copy the same gameplay movement as in the video. Not sure, if anybody wants to see it?

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
I just captured (slightly compressed) footage of the same Halo 3 cutscene from the Xbox 360. If anybody wants the cutscene to make a direct comparison, just tell me a good filesharing side and I'll upload it.

Anyways, I like the colors in the Xbox 360 version more. They don't seem to be washed out:

Maybe I'll try to copy the same gameplay movement as in the video. Not sure, if anybody wants to see it?

The second pic is what I remember of halo 3

Top one is way too dark and contrasted

A side by side in motion would be great but I'm not sure a video sharing site upload will do it justice. I couldn't really tell the Halo 3 campaign was in 60 FPS even in the IGN piece. I feel like it's one of those that can't truly be appreciated until you see it running natively on your screen at home.

All I really want is for the 60 FPS to be consistent in multiplayer. Could do with a game on the pit being uploaded for next weeks bulletin. C'mon.

Akai__

The second pic is what I remember of halo 3

Top one is way too dark and contrasted

You are right. I used the "Normal" setting under "Screen Brightness". Updated my previous post.

A side by side in motion would be great but I'm not sure a video sharing site upload will do it justice. I couldn't really tell the Halo 3 campaign was in 60 FPS even in the IGN piece. I feel like it's one of those that can't truly be appreciated until you see it running natively on your screen at home.

I could tell the difference by running both videos side by side. I also wouldn't trust IGN's video player. It's terrible.

You should watch the official one and see if you can tell the difference. :p

Was doing this while playing Reach with Colin earlier (before his internet shit the bed). How I missed this post, I'll never know.

Mark's pretty busy with grad school now, so I doubt he'll have much free time for a couple years, but the rest of the gang is still here lol.

Yeah I noticed he hasn't been posting as much. Oh well.

Can't wait to get verbally berated by superior players on gaf in 60FPS /swoon

You are right. I used the "Normal" setting under "Screen Brightness". Updated my previous post.

I could tell the difference by running both videos side by side. I also wouldn't trust IGN's video player. It's terrible.

You should watch the official one and see if you can tell the difference. :p

Ok I just watched the official one posted on this page and the difference is very perceptable this time. Looks uber silky. I just wish they'd have done something more dynamic than fire an AR for 30 seconds. Maybe show off that pistol reload animation you're talking about when the Chief has it right there in his back pocket.

This quote from the IGN Destiny review caught my eye. I think it sums up the problem that Halo has been suffering from really well:
"For as fun as it is, Destiny just doesn't fully commit to all of its disparate parts, making it simultaneously many different things, and none of them at all."
http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/09/03/destiny-review

When Halo tries to be too much like CoD, it ends up not being CoD or Halo, which is worse than making it fully one or the other.

I personally was hoping that they'd take a few more artistic liberties with Halo 2. Look at CEA for example

and then Halo 2:A

It's kinda... boring. The jump doesn't seem all that apparent. Granted it'll no doubt look good when we play, but 343i could have done a whole lot more while still being faithful to the original, IMO. That said, I know that people disliked the changes in CEA because they were perhaps a little too drastic. But I absolutely loved it. So much colour and variety. I honestly can't wait to see it in 1080p and 60fps
People criticised 343i for doing too much changes in the artistic direction with CEA back in the days.

Personally, I am happy with both. I saw the Delta Halo b-roll gameplay and it looks great. I cannot wait to introduce my girlfriend to the franchise with the MCC.

I think I'm gonna do a solo Halo 1-4 heroic campaign playthrough, just to see where I stand on all the games in 2014/15. Wanna see how those Halo 2 cutscenes look, wanna do Tsavo Highway in 1080p/60fps, wanna see if fighting Promethean enemies with Promethean weapons is still like a bad version of Halo, etc.

FyreWulff

Reviewers have been getting real this generation, not every game is a 8-9+. Should be interesting going forward.

Never read the score of a review. Always read the text.

After the Paper Mario TYD GI review incident, review scores are just worthless. The text of the review praised the game. It was given a low score because "Remember, we aren't scoring games strictly on our personal opinions".

This quote from the IGN Destiny review caught my eye. I think it sums up the problem that Halo has been suffering from really well:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/09/03/destiny-review

When Halo tries to be too much like CoD, it ends up not being CoD or Halo, which is worse than making it fully one or the other.

And they gave CoD: Ghosts an 8.8/10. Now I'm not saying that Destiny doesn't deserve a 7.8, but how the hell does Ghosts do better by a whole point, especially the PC version?

Nebula

So can we consider Destiny and it's 10 year play shut down if the first few DLCs fail to remedy the issues the game has/sell well?

I'll probably stop playing it when MCC drops if I'm honest.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
So can we consider Destiny and it's 10 year play shut down if the first few DLCs fail to remedy the issues the game has/sell well?

I'll probably stop playing it when MCC drops if I'm honest.
If you would have asked me a month ago whether I'd be playing Destiny PvP after the MCC comes out I would have laughed, but I genuinely love Destiny 3v3. I could see myself playing it for a long time.

Nebula

If you would have asked me a month ago whether I'd be playing Destiny PvP after the MCC comes out I would have laughed, but I genuinely love Destiny 3v3. I could see myself playing it for a long time.

Just grab a shotgun and bubble shield in Halo 3. Perfectly replicates Destiny gameplay.

Top Bottom