• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT: Anniversary| So fades the great harvest of our betrayal.

The fact that videos selected for press release have framerate problems is not a good sign...
That and coagulation hasn't been revealed yet. Why haven't they? Not that it's a big deal but I find the timing just releasing the concept art and no gameplay is a bit odd.

wwm0nkey

Might as well, you can't even sign into the official game at this point.

Xbox Support is just telling everyone to post in the GFWL forums.. where everyone is posting the same error that nobody can connect.. and no MS employees are responding.
Weird, I could connect

FyreWulff

Weird, I could connect

I think some can get in. But the flurry of posts on xbox.com/steam gfwl games forums/etc all started a couple of days ago.

Judging by old posts on forums, it seems a surge of not being able to connect happened around the same time last year.

I think I'm gonna do a solo Halo 1-4 heroic campaign playthrough, just to see where I stand on all the games in 2014/15. Wanna see how those Halo 2 cutscenes look, wanna do Tsavo Highway in 1080p/60fps, wanna see if fighting Promethean enemies with Promethean weapons is still like a bad version of Halo, etc.

For me the story ended at 3.

I'm giving 343 a second chance but I don't really care what happens lore and story wise post H3.

Nor do I want to get invested in it, it'll be interesting to see where it all ends up though.

Madness

For me the story ended at 3.

I'm giving 343 a second chance but I don't really care what happens lore and story wise post H3.

Nor do I want to get invested in it, it'll be interesting to see where it all ends up though.

Same. The fight is finished for me. I liked it when the only thing I knew about post-Halo 3 event was the 10 second Halsey voiceover during Reach and how roughly 30 years later, they returned to rebuild.

I'm guessing that was all retconned now that Halsey is a war criminal with one arm, working with a Covenant splinter group, and that in just 5 short years after the war, humans are now a galactic power with unchallenged weaponry, capability etc. It's almost as if the events of Halo 1-3 never even happened.

I'm actually trying to remember Halo 4 and it was really hard. Like, did Cortana die? Who was the Liberian again? I just remember a lot of grey and orange; grey and orange weapons, grey and orange enemies, grey and orange levels, grey and oranges buttons Cortana told you to press.

I went to YouTube, and I find Master Chief firing boring Forerunner weapons at boring Forerunner enemies. Remember how in the other Halo games the Elites would make grunts/insults and shit when you hit them, and their shields flared up and they moved around a bit? Yeah well fuck that cuz teleporting bullet sponges who don't seem to have audio/visual feedback until they die. You can't even tell what weapon they have, its all just grey and orange stuff. Throw that orange grenade and its like "Frankie pls". And I guess they didn't want the Covenant having any character either, so they changed them just to change them and took away their funny voices cuz Halo is serious business now and not pulply sci-fi comic book adventures. Read the novels son, you'll understand it later.

There's not much drive from the story objectives, and the music is this weird droning thing with a bad sound mix that never gives the levels any sense of energy or pacing or urgency or...anything like the other 5 Halo games. Its weird.

What a weird game Halo 4 turned out to be. A lot of very talented, passionate people trying to make their mark on the Halo franchise by removing things people enjoyed and replacing it with, well, nothing.

singhr1

I'm actually trying to remember Halo 4 and it was really hard. Like, did Cortana die? Who was the Liberian again? I just remember a lot of grey and orange; grey and orange weapons, grey and orange enemies, grey and orange levels, grey and oranges buttons Cortana told you to press.

I went to YouTube, and I find Master Chief firing boring Forerunner weapons at boring Forerunner enemies. Remember how in the other Halo games the Elites would make grunts/insults and shit when you hit them, and their shields flared up and they moved around a bit? Yeah well fuck that cuz teleporting bullet sponges who don't seem to have audio/visual feedback until they die. You can't even tell what weapon they have, its all just grey and orange stuff. Throw that orange grenade and its like "Frankie pls". And I guess they didn't want the Covenant having any character either, so they changed them just to change them and took away their funny voices cuz Halo is serious business now and not pulply sci-fi comic book adventures. Read the novels son, you'll understand it later.

There's not much drive from the story objectives, and the music is this weird droning thing with a bad sound mix that never gives the levels any sense of energy or pacing or urgency or...anything like the other 5 Halo games. Its weird.

What a weird game Halo 4 turned out to be. A lot of very talented, passionate people trying to make their mark on the Halo franchise by removing things people enjoyed and replacing it with, well, nothing.

Wow so much hate and misdirection here. Let me educate you for a sec. (and really.. did Cortana die... did you really forget how it ended..)

Its like you forgot the first 3-4 levels of the game. All the blue before all the orange. That color scheme is indicative of the other factions as well. Covenant enjoy blues, purples, and greens. Brutes enjoy reds, greys, and browns.

Forerunners did have a visual feedback but it was minor compared to Elites/Spartan shields. As you did damage their faces would pop, opening them up for a headshot. I agree, this was too subtle and still felt like bullet sponges sometimes.

You can tell what weapon they had based on their appearance.
promethean-knights.jpg

The first uses the incineration cannon (telling from the flames), The second one uses the shotgun thing, the third snipes you, and the last is standard infantry using the supressor or light rifle.

The other stuff I mostly agree tho. Covenant were a bit too serious in comparison to other Halos. Librarian should have had a larger role than that one scene to making a stronger impression. There were too many characters that you saw once and forgot. I understood it was Chief's and Cortana's story but besides Lasky and the Didact.. nobody else really made an impact. Whether it was the obnoxious captain of the Infinity, the random human research facility with the composer, etc.

Booshka

I had no idea what was going on in Halo 4, I remember thinking of all the Halo books, comics, and movies that I didn't consume while I was lost in the nonsense that was Halo 4's story.

singhr1

Yup incineration cannon knights are rare but there are a few on the last level. In-game they look like this, a glow rather than a flame on their back:

knight-commander_wide.jpg

I had no idea what was going on in Halo 4, I remember thinking of all the Halo books, comics, and movies that I didn't consume while I was lost in the nonsense that was Halo 4's story.

Eh. It's easy enough to follow w/o expanded universe, though obviously a lot less deep. Didact is a bad guy 'cause he looks evil and talks like a comic book villain, so you have to stop him. Cortana's going nuts 'cause she's too old, so there's that bit of drama. The Infinity is a really big ship captained by a guy who has no idea what he's in for. Etc. Not deep, but far from incomprehensible.

Booshka

Eh. It's easy enough to follow w/o expanded universe, though obviously a lot less deep. Didact is a bad guy 'cause he looks evil and talks like a comic book villain, so you have to stop him. Cortana's going nuts 'cause she's too old, so there's that bit of drama. The Infinity is a really big ship captained by a guy who has no idea what he's in for. Etc. Not deep, but far from incomprehensible.

I got this much out of the basic plot, but the more subtle points/characters and lore considerations were completely lost on me. Past Halo's I did better with side characters and lore callbacks, H4 was a clusterfuck and I didn't care enough to even try and comprehend it.

Booshka

so seriously tho did Cortana die

I probably should remember that

who's gonna give Chief exposition and humorous asides now

Elzar

Cortana didn't die, she took the power and emotion from touching Chief's chest and focused it into becoming your new Windows Phone companion.

Remember that when you go to buy a Windows Phone, a Rampant AI is in your phone, and will probably try to kill you in the near future.

Generic_greeting_hand_Cortana_Page.png

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
We're going to be playing Halo 5 in three months. That's so weird to think about.

Madness

We're going to be playing Halo 5 in three months. That's so weird to think about.

It's so far from launch though, I honestly think the beta will just be a hybrid Halo 2 Anniversary/Halo 5 Guardians. Then again, the game could already be mostly done and they're just waiting for MCC to launch and artificially keeping launch for Halo 5 Guardians for the 2015 holiday.

The detail already present in Midship makes me wonder if they had planned to use it for H2A and then when they decided on only 6 maps, kept the assets for Halo 5.

Random17

Same. The fight is finished for me. I liked it when the only thing I knew about post-Halo 3 event was the 10 second Halsey voiceover during Reach and how roughly 30 years later, they returned to rebuild.

I'm guessing that was all retconned now that Halsey is a war criminal with one arm, working with a Covenant splinter group, and that in just 5 short years after the war, humans are now a galactic power with unchallenged weaponry, capability etc. It's almost as if the events of Halo 1-3 never even happened.
Those aren't retcons, those are story decisions that still fit in with the universe, even if some are very questionable (see Halsey).

I've said this before in this thread but Halo 3 did not do as great of a job of closing the Halo storyline as many would like to think. I think there were at least five major plot points left open:

1. Everything to do with the Ghosts of Onyx
2. Gravemind promising his return
3. Halo 3 terminals; Chief going to the Forerunners
4. Loyalist Covenant species being alive and well, even if the Covenant was "gone"
5. Explanation for various Forerunner occurrences, like why the Prophet's "home planet" had a Keyship in the first place

1. Was answered by the Traviss series and not in an ideal way.
We will see this in Halo 5 if Escalation has anything to say about it
3. Halo 4, basically. And the Forerunner Saga.
4. This was also a part of the Traviss trilogy.
5. Some were explained in the Forerunner saga, others will probably be explained soon in Halo Broken Circle, like the example given.

Halo 3 left a lot open and for good reason; I believe at one point Bungie was considering making Halo 4.

This, along with questionable voice acting, removal of the Covenant's side of the story, unnecessary character changes (see Gravemind's maniac laugh, goes completely against his cold and calculated character), and a story concentrated in the last few missions of the game make me question why people think Halo 3's story was even that good. Yes there were many epic moments, yes we did see the conclusion of some plot points, but it wasn't nearly as good as it could have been.

It's so far from launch though, I honestly think the beta will just be a hybrid Halo 2 Anniversary/Halo 5 Guardians. Then again, the game could already be mostly done and they're just waiting for MCC to launch and artificially keeping launch for Halo 5 Guardians for the 2015 holiday.

The detail already present in Midship makes me wonder if they had planned to use it for H2A and then when they decided on only 6 maps, kept the assets for Halo 5.

I'm thinking it just means they really are looking for user feedback. A genuine features beta, rather than the glorified stress tests/demos we usually get.

One day you will all love Palmer and will look back on this moment as the time you doubted your love for Halo,
again,
only for it to return,
again.

palmer is actually mysterious guardian co-op cover art star of Halo 5, dat gender equality, appealing for the kittens demographic[/spoilers]

Booshka

palmer is actually mysterious guardian co-op cover art star of Halo 5, dat gender equality, appealing for the kittens demographic[/spoilers]
naw you'll have to flip the cover over to get Palmer, still selling Master Chief on the front to a bunch of white dudes. If you want equality, buy the game then flip the cover over, heh.

KiboSenshi

Neo Member
Nah, Halo 5 will pull a MGS2 and you'll play as chief for the first couple missions and then the rest you'll play as palmer with occasional Locke action.

Deception

That and coagulation hasn't been revealed yet. Why haven't they? Not that it's a big deal but I find the timing just releasing the concept art and no gameplay is a bit odd.
I feel as if they only started developing TMCC this year and that's why they have been slow to release any additional info because the game is still very much in development.

matthieuC

Do we know all of the new names of the remastered maps yet? I only know 2.

Ascension=Zenith
Sanctuary=Shrine
Zanzibar=?
Lockout=?
Coagulation=?

Top Bottom