• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT: Anniversary| So fades the great harvest of our betrayal.

Ah yes because I forgot discussing the story of the Halo universe is completely unacceptable in the Halo community thread that is for people who are fans of Halo.
Like big show, I don't care what you guys discuss. Im neither mad nor upset. I was just pointing out that there is a halo lore thread. To each their own.

People are uptight today.

That wasn't my intent; I was just making a lighthearted comment. I honestly don't care what people discuss, Halo lore is just not my cup of tea. Wake me when we start discussing how bad 343 is going to screw up the multiplayer balance in Halo 5.

Seinfeld "I'm out" gifs are hilarious, and a perfectly acceptable and reasonable response to story discussion. I'm not pretending it isn't dense, kinda always has been. I don't blame people for that whatsoever lol

I'm more talking about the posters (I'm not going to single people out here, you know who you are) who complain about it and police every time story discussion occurs in the thread. When people talk or ask questions about the story in this OT, I feel compelled to talk about it, just as I'm compelled to talk about many aspects of Halo in the Halo OT, or otherwise. Same with anyone who decides to post: because they feel compelled to discuss something.

Lately it's story, because it's becoming very interesting right now leading up to a remastered collection of the main games and a freaking Sergio Mimica-Gezzan/Ridley Scott Halo movie thinger, and a novel by a kickass author tying in with Halo 2, one of the best eras of the franchise even from story perspective, etc. All not even including the excitement for the actual games themselves, all in a few months, so
no
apologies for the intensity. And as far as I'm attempting, I try not to crosspost (aside from news/announcement thread stuff), and most times recently it's the other way around, I'll copy a rant/response I've had here back into the Lore thread since it moves at a much slower pace/has a different audience than the community OT, jpegs and gifs aside... If that's against the rules or something I'll refrain. The whole point is to get discussion going, anyway, whether she likes story or he likes kill-times shouldn't be an issue, imo. I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Fair enough, Greencastle. Like someone else said, if I don't like it I can just scroll past it. What's the point of the Halo Lore Thread then, though?

Playing CE on legendary is the most halo fun I've had in months.
Wait till you play the multiplayer online, then you'll change your opinion on [shitty] Halo 3.

This is not a joke.

EDIT:
Legendary CE is the perfect difficulty. It's challenging, but easy enough to manage without having to result to cheap measures (noob combo over and over and over). Halo 3 and ODST feel great on Legendary, too.
ODST Gold Legendary Hunters are fun to fight against.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Playing CE on legendary is the most halo fun I've had in months.
Legendary CE is the perfect difficulty. It's challenging, but easy enough to manage without having to result to cheap measures (noob combo over and over and over). Halo 3 and ODST feel great on Legendary, too.

Nirvana

Seinfeld "I'm out" gifs are hilarious, and a perfectly acceptable and reasonable response to story discussion. I'm not pretending it isn't dense, kinda always has been. I don't blame people for that whatsoever lol

I'm more talking about the posters (I'm not going to single people out here, you know who you are) who complain about it and police every time story discussion occurs in the thread. When people talk or ask questions about the story in this OT, I feel compelled to talk about it, just as I'm compelled to talk about many aspects of Halo in the Halo OT, or otherwise. Same with anyone who decides to post: because they feel compelled to discuss something.

Lately it's story, because it's becoming very interesting right now leading up to a remastered collection of the main games and a freaking Sergio Mimica-Gezzan/Ridley Scott Halo movie thinger, and a novel by a kickass author tying in with Halo 2, one of the best eras of the franchise even from story perspective, etc. All not even including the excitement for the actual games themselves, all in a few months, so
no
apologies for the intensity. And as far as I'm attempting, I try not to crosspost (aside from news/announcement thread stuff), and most times recently it's the other way around, I'll copy a rant/response I've had here back into the Lore thread since it moves at a much slower pace/has a different audience than the community OT, jpegs and gifs aside... If that's against the rules or something I'll refrain. The whole point is to get discussion going, anyway, whether she likes story or he likes kill-times shouldn't be an issue, imo. I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

I guess you could say you're breaking the lore in here amirite?

It really is. It's challenging but not cheap. Elite Ai is fucking amazing. Bungie nailed enemy ai in this game.

-Ryn

Banned
Wait till you play the multiplayer online, then you'll change your opinion on [shitty] Halo 3.

This is not a joke.
So is there any other Halo multiplayer you like?

I mean I loved playing through CE's campaign as it is easily one of the best. The gameplay is really solid and as Chambers said, the AI is brilliant and well balanced.

As far as the multiplayer is concerned, I used to have LAN matches with a few friends and my bros. Many good times have been had so I can't wait to try out everything it has to offer with MCC. I think that there's been a lot of cool additions to the multiplayer though in the sequels.

Do you not like them at all or is it just that they aren't as good?

Lately it's story, because it's becoming very interesting right now leading up to a remastered collection of the main games and a freaking Sergio Mimica-Gezzan/Ridley Scott Halo movie thinger, and a novel by a kickass author tying in with Halo 2

Did I miss something? Was a new novel announced? I want it.

Also, Green, I scroll past most of the technical multiplayer talk but read all of your posts. I'm a lore junkie myself. I also read any posts with the words "Music" or "soundtrack" or "Kazuma"...

Did I miss something? Was a new novel announced? I want it.

Also, Green, I scroll past most of the technical multiplayer talk but read all of your posts. I'm a lore junkie myself. I also read any posts with the words "Music" or "soundtrack" or "Kazuma"...

https://blogs.halowaypoint.com/en-us/blogs/headlines/posts/halo-broken-circle-coming-in-november

halo-broken-circle-novel-404e843a32b245f2a5a41500c9fe4801.jpg

And thanks :) hopefully I have something fun to add anyway.

Nirvana

I'm pretty sure that's impossible.

If you can get through the first section, you can maybe grab a plasma rifle, kill the Zealot in the second part and use his sword. The bomb room would be a real bitch though, as well as the Jetpack elites in the section beforehand.

I'd say it's doable, but would be incredibly, incredibly frustrating. But hey, as a Vidmaster maybe to unlock Bungie flames in Halo 3 :)

heckfu

Banned
Well I mean it's hard to tell sometimes if it's a joke when people have legitimately complained about it before. This IS the internet where inflections are nonexistent.

But if you've been here long enough and know me and BigShow then you know it's just jokes. Nothing to get serious about.

I feel like they tried to do something similar AI wise with reach. But didn't quite manage to recapture the same balance between challenge and cheap.

How so? I felt like Reach's Elite AI was worse than Halo 3's Brutes, and the encounters/setpieces were way crazier in Halo 3's campaign, even though Reach had more realistic "global" battles going on. I absolutely loved the dodging and movement of the Elites in Reach being more similar to CE's, though, and the shield pop animation is best in Reach I think.

Granted, I'm no AI expert, so it could just be down to the encounter design and set up.

Well, to be honest I felt awkward when others start talking about weapons balance and I dont have nothing to contribute then in a blue moon someone talks about lore and I love lore discussion but others cant talk about that but this is halogaf kinda ironic isnt?

I bet you aren't the only one!

LOL knew you'd say something

Also, there should be an achievement if you beat Cairo Station on Solo Legendary without using the plasma pistol at all.

I'm pretty sure that's impossible.

I've done it.

Took a while, but it's doable.

If you can get through the first section, you can maybe grab a plasma rifle, kill the Zealot in the second part and use his sword. The bomb room would be a real bitch though, as well as the Jetpack elites in the section beforehand.

I'd say it's doable, but would be incredibly, incredibly frustrating. But hey, as a Vidmaster maybe to unlock Bungie flames in Halo 3 :)

Speedrun the First level. All that Sword flying, + Bandana Skull to spam grenades

What else has this guy written? im too lazy to google.

Rev3rb

Curious, will we ever get friendly AI that can drive vehicles (
Warthog
) while you're in the passenger/gunner without seeming like they've hit themselves over the head with a hammer several times?

Haven't noticed much improvement in this department since H2.

Warthog
) while you're in the passenger/gunner without seeming like they've hit themselves over the head with a hammer several times?

Kat, was a decent driver.

Warthog

I seem to recall Reach having decent driving AI.

-Ryn

Banned
I've done it.

Took a while, but it's doable.

Speedrun the First level. All that Sword flying, + Bandana Skull to spam grenades

How the hell did you guys get past the hangar with like 7 Elites? Did you just spam plasmas every time they came through the air lock? I tried for an hour before just whipping out the PP and bombarding them with plasma.

But if you've been here long enough and know me and BigShow then you know it's just jokes. Nothing to get serious about.
The GIF wasn't really hard to see as a joke for me. Even if I didn't know you guys I would of assumed it was just ribbing.

However I may have jumped the gun since the other comments didn't have much room to misconstrue them. So I guess my explanation wasn't applicable.

Whoops.

Nirvana

Sword flying was patched out wasn't it? They use prepatch for speedruns don't they? Maybe I'm high. Also Bandana skull will never make its way near my Legendary runs, it's bitch mode.

blamite

Warthog

They should just steal Turn 10's Driveatar tech.

What could possibly go wrong?

Sword flying was patched out wasn't it? They use prepatch for speedruns don't they? Maybe I'm high. Also Bandana skull will never make its way near my Legendary runs, it's bitch mode.

I suffered through Legendary enough, im going to make it easier on myself lol. and i forgot that they patched it out... shit.

How the hell did you guys get past the hangar with like 7 Elites? Did you just spam plasmas every time they came through the air lock? I tried for an hour before just whipping out the PP and bombarding them with plasma.

The GIF wasn't really hard to see as a joke for me. Even if I didn't know you guys I would of assumed it was just ribbing.

However I may have jumped the gun since the other comments didn't have much room to misconstrue them. So I guess my explanation wasn't applicable.

Whoops.

It's been... like, forever, but I seem to recall just playing that section over and over and over until I could just nail my grenade placement. That, plus a little luck (one of the Elites hit another one with a plasma) carried the day.

http://www.darkecho.com/JohnShirley/jsbiblio.html

I've only read one of his books, City Come A Walkin. A bit dark and violent, but the story is really, really unique. It's from the 80s, so it'll be a bit cheesy at some points because of its technobabble, but it's good scifi - kinda cyberpunk-ish which I guess he is really known for from what I've read. Features a sentient/self-aware San Francisco named City as a main character. I'd say it's a good read if you can handle it. Cyberpunk-style in Halo would be a really fun read. Though thinking about it now, if they're going existential, Broken Circle bringing around Mendicant Bias (or any AI really, or even the Flood) into the forefront again could be really interestingly done... Hmm...

http://www.darkecho.com/JohnShirley/jsbiblio.html

I've only read one of his books, City Come A Walkin. A bit dark and violent, but the story is really, really unique. It's from the 80s, so it'll be a bit cheesy at some points because of its technobabble, but it's good scifi - kinda cyberpunk-ish which I guess he is really known for from what I've read. Features a sentient/self-aware San Francisco named City as a main character. I'd say it's a good read if you can handle it. Cyberpunk-style in Halo would be a really fun read. Though thinking about it now, if they're going existential, Broken Circle bringing around Mendicant Bias (or any AI really, or even the Flood) into the forefront again could be really interestingly done... Hmm...

Awesome, he wrote a Hellblazer tie-in.

-Ryn

Banned
Kat, was a decent driver.
You let the WOMAN drive?

I honestly never had any problem but I didn't let them drive much either

They had other Halo multiplayers? All I played after CE was Backyard Quake and CoD in space.
I guess that answers that :p

It's been... like, forever, but I seem to recall just playing that section over and over and over until I could just nail my grenade placement. That, plus a little luck (one of the Elites hit another one with a plasma) carried the day.
I suffered through Legendary enough, im going to make it easier on myself lol. and i forgot that they patched it out... shit.

Sometimes I wonder if we all secretly just hate ourselves. It's like we are encouraging them to put this stuff in.

Fixed that for ya
Hyperbole makes the world go 'round

Havoc2049

Even with the disc in ODST that has all of the maps on it along with it being required for several different playlists?

But, but you edited my post and just left Halo 3 in there. ;-p

Ya, that was a cool one time deal, but not really a good way to manage DLC and it would require Halo 5: ODST 2, after Halo 5. Maybe that would be cool. ;-)

Sometimes I wonder if we all secretly just hate ourselves. It's like we are encouraging them to put this stuff in.

Hyperbole makes the world go 'round

Its not that i think we NEED these things, i mean i love Halo 2's Legendary and i honestly enjoy going through it. but sometimes i just want to coast through it.

Options are not bad. Halo 4 is bad.

-Ryn

Banned
Its not that i think we NEED these things, i mean i love Halo 2's Legendary and i honestly enjoy going through it. but sometimes i just want to coast through it.

Options are not bad. Halo 4 is bad.
Oh yeah I completely agree.

I think having more options can only improve a game. I just think it's funny that we impose these weird challenges on ourselves. I do it all the time. In my recent Legendary run I didn't let a single marine die in some missions which was incredibly stupid because they are made of paper and paste.

Asking for an achievement for it only makes it funnier though.

Tawpgun

eazyb is that you

We should try and compile a Encyclopedia HaloGAFica or something that explains all the common jokes, references, and historical events from HaloGAF so new members can get up to speed and feel more included.

This is, after all, "The Best Community on the Internet" (tm)

We should try and compile a Encyclopedia HaloGAFica or something that explains all the common jokes, references, and historical events from HaloGAF so new members can get up to speed and feel more included.

This is, after all, "The Best Community on the Internet" (tm)

Just create a Wiki

Top Bottom