• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT: Anniversary| So fades the great harvest of our betrayal.

We should try and compile a Encyclopedia HaloGAFica or something that explains all the common jokes, references, and historical events from HaloGAF so new members can get up to speed and feel more included.

This is, after all, "The Best Community on the Internet" (tm)

I could use that. I feel like so much goes over my head.

Not good enough.

We need like a full a full on Hyrule Hystoria style guide. Will detail all the coolest and saltiest times of HaloGaf and its members. There will also be many holographic bits for GIFs and cool pictures.

It'll be Legendary.

I wanna be King of the salt brigade

Nirvana

How the hell did you guys get past the hangar with like 7 Elites? Did you just spam plasmas every time they came through the air lock? I tried for an hour before just whipping out the PP and bombarding them with plasma.

Like I said, the Plasma Rifle does a decent job of lowering shields (at close to mid range), but you do have to rambo a bit using the computer console as cover rather than the crates near the door. In the previous room (the first big wave of enemies pouring out of the latched on ship) you need to pick up and drop as many plasma rifles as possible, so they don't despawn -do the same with PP if you are doing it standard.

Once the Zealot comes, PR/BR combo him, or stick him and you can use his energy sword, if you are comfortable going up close, otherwise you may have to expend a bunch of BR ammo to thin the ranks.

The jetpack elite section before the bomb room is a real bitch, mostly because you have to make sure to save a PR from the lift and it's way shittier at dealing with them. The bomb room is just awful. Have to spam grenades, pray they don't dodge them all and then get up close and personal.

If was a Vidmaster I'd be ready, but I wouldn't recommend it...PP is best Legendary weapon. Except for with Brutes, then it's Carbine all day, maybe Beam Rifle.

Yeah I like to impose painful challenges on myself. Having said that, I can't stand SLASO, maybe just because it was Halo 3's campaign, but I just found it boring having to put 2 PP shots and a million bullets into one enemy. I might try it on Halo 2, because I actually like the campaign, and know it on Legendary like Cosmo knows OoT, but I feel like it would be awful. Also if 'all skulls' contained Bandana that would kind of defeat the purpose of the run.

The servers are just so bad. Stupid game denied me of quickly choosing my preset loadout in Swat. Had to do it by menu.

Btw, 343, Exile & Swat don't play well. Dmr is way too precise.

I'm so happy that Dedis are coming to Halo.
Couldn't stand how badly my last few games went bcuz of it

Also, the spawns in halo 4's maps like Abandon are terrible.

-Ryn

Banned
lol I left the Halo 2 Main Menu on for a bit and it started playing a trailer for the game which made me laugh.

It's crazy because watching the trailer and everything it was showing off as epic and never before seen really brought me back. How far we have come in the past decade is just amazing and sometimes it's kinda cool to just remember back when something so huge was happening. Virtual Reality seems to be the next big thing which will be cool.

Never Forget

Like I said, the Plasma Rifle does a decent job of lowering shields (at close to mid range), but you do have to rambo a bit using the computer console as cover rather than the crates near the door. In the previous room (the first big wave of enemies pouring out of the latched on ship) you need to pick up and drop as many plasma rifles as possible, so they don't despawn -do the same with PP if you are doing it standard.

Once the Zealot comes, PR/BR combo him, or stick him and you can use his energy sword, if you are comfortable going up close, otherwise you may have to expend a bunch of BR ammo to thin the ranks.

The jetpack elite section before the bomb room is a real bitch, mostly because you have to make sure to save a PR from the lift and it's way shittier at dealing with them. The bomb room is just awful. Have to spam grenades, pray they don't dodge them all and then get up close and personal.

If was a Vidmaster I'd be ready, but I wouldn't recommend it...PP is best Legendary weapon. Except for with Brutes, then it's Carbine all day, maybe Beam Rifle.

Yeah I like to impose painful challenges on myself. Having said that, I can't stand SLASO, maybe just because it was Halo 3's campaign, but I just found it boring having to put 2 PP shots and a million bullets into one enemy. I might try it on Halo 2, because I actually like the campaign, and know it on Legendary like Cosmo knows OoT, but I feel like it would be awful. Also if 'all skulls' contained Bandana that would kind of defeat the purpose of the run.
Damn dude that's impressive. Well if they do make it an achievement I'll be ready at least so thanks.

Wondering if I should do a Legendary run for Halo 2. I did the first 2 levels and it's been fun but I may just save it for the MCC. All the little things I forgot about were fun to see again. Something something time flies and whatnot.

This November is going to be great.

Nirvana

Wondering if I should do a Legendary run for Halo 2. I did the first 2 levels and it's been fun but I may just save it for the MCC. All the little things I forgot about were fun to see again. Something something time flies and whatnot.

I'm running through all the games on Legendary, from CE - Halo 4, although I'm including ODST and Reach for the hell of it.

Done CE and 2, just getting through ODST now, and I can't say I'm particularly enjoying it. It's a beautiful game, the music is fantastic, but it's too easy (although I had a fairly intense Hunter battle) and overall the gameplay doesn't feel as good. The one good thing is that the health packs mean you have to take situations slower and more carefully - although whether that's necessarily a 'good' thing depends on your perspective.

Kind of looking forward to playing through Halo 3 campaign, since I haven't done it for years, despite it being my least favourite, even looking forward to doing 4's again, although not so much Reach.

The servers are just so bad. Stupid game denied me of quickly choosing my preset loadout in Swat. Had to do it by menu.

Btw, 343, Exile & Swat don't play well. Dmr is way too precise.

I'm so happy that Dedis are coming to Halo.
Couldn't stand how badly my last few games went bcuz of it

Also, the spawns in halo 4's maps like Abandon are terrible.

The DMR is the perfect SWAT weapon

lol I left the Halo 2 Main Menu on for a bit and it started playing a trailer for the game which made me laugh.

It's crazy because watching the trailer and everything it was showing off as epic and never before seen really brought me back. How far we have come in the past decade is just amazing and sometimes it's kinda cool to just remember back when something so huge was happening. Virtual Reality seems to be the next big thing which will be cool.

Never Forget

Damn dude that's impressive. Well if they do make it an achievement I'll be ready at least so thanks.

All Halo Legendary run in ONE SITTING.

-Ryn

Banned
I'm running through all the games on Legendary, from CE - Halo 4, although I'm including ODST and Reach for the hell of it.

Done CE and 2, just getting through ODST now, and I can't say I'm particularly enjoying it. It's a beautiful game, the music is fantastic, but it's too easy (although I had a fairly intense Hunter battle) and overall the gameplay doesn't feel as good. The one good thing is that the health packs mean you have to take situations slower and more carefully - although whether that's necessarily a 'good' thing depends on your perspective.

Kind of looking forward to playing through Halo 3 campaign, since I haven't done it for years, despite it being my least favourite, even looking forward to doing 4's again, although not so much Reach.
I've been thinking of doing the same thing. I've done CE and now I'm on 2.

I'm actually half way through 4 on Legendary because originally I was just doing CE and 4. I was doing CE just for fun and I noticed I hadn't actually done 4 on Legendary solo so yeah. CE has the most well balanced and enjoyable Legendary so far. The AI is fun to fight and it rarely ever felt cheap.

I like having a health system in play because it adds a kind of pressure which I find adds to the experience. When you are low on health you gotta change your mindset and be a bit more cautious, however because you have a recharging shield there is still room for error. It creates a nice toss up between being able to go full out badass and having to actually carefully approach a situation. It holds weight is what I guess I'm saying.

I haven't played ODST in a while so I can't really comment on its difficulty but I do remember enjoying it. Still felt like a Halo but different and it did a great job with what it had.

In the end I'll probably end up playing 1-4 and throwing in ODST just for the fun of it. I don't know if I want to do Reach though. Hell I'm not even really into 4 but I still haven't beat it a Legendary so yeah. I can't believe how effective the Suppressor is on Prometheans. The only thing I even carry now are a single shot weapon and a Suppressor. Don't even bother with the heavy weapons.

-Ryn

Banned
All Halo Legendary run in ONE SITTING.
Are you READY?
Doritos, Game Fuel, and much mouthwash.
3 days of pure sugar, caffeine and no sleep ruined me

I don't even care if there's an achievement for this. I'm doing it just so I can say I did. Maybe if I build a computer I'll stream it.

I did Halo 4 Legendary on release day. Not something I really want to experience again.
I used to do Legendary on my first play through but I've learned that I'd rather just enjoy the game on Heroic or something and attack that challenge later.

Are you READY?
Doritos, Game Fuel, and much mouthwash.
3 days of pure sugar, caffeine and no sleep ruined me

I don't even care if there's an achievement for this. I'm doing it just so I can say I did. Maybe if I build a computer I'll stream it.

I used to do Legendary on my first play through but I've learned that I'd rather just enjoy the game on Heroic or something and attack that challenge later.

that sounds terrible. more like String cheese, Pretzels and two liter bottles of water.

-Ryn

Banned
that sounds terrible. more like String cheese, Pretzels and two liter bottles of water.
But the Spartan on the TV told me that I'll be a Pro Gamer if I get them

It was. When I woke up after it all I was greeted by 3 weeks of hell. Worst part was I couldn't get sick days at McDonalds. Apparently health codes are just friendly suggestions.

*edit*
LIKE A BEAST
It's even better than I remembered

But the Spartan on the TV told me that I'll be a Pro Gamer if I get them

It was. When I woke up after it all I was greeted by 3 weeks of hell. Worst part was I couldn't get sick days at McDonalds. Apparently health codes are just friendly suggestions.

*edit*
LIKE A BEAST
It's even better than I remembered

Im sad that video exists

-Ryn

Banned
It was kind of cool seeing them use the actual in-engine assets for it, at least. It was like high-budget machinima.
If I could make machinima like that I would be ridiculously happy. Theater mode 2.0?

and also i like that 343 used assets for the halo 5 trailer
Woofmaker.gif

Mistel

Banned
How so? I felt like Reach's Elite AI was worse than Halo 3's Brutes, and the encounters/setpieces were way crazier in Halo 3's campaign, even though Reach had more realistic "global" battles going on. I absolutely loved the dodging and movement of the Elites in Reach being more similar to CE's, though, and the shield pop animation is best in Reach I think.

Granted, I'm no AI expert, so it could just be down to the encounter design and set up.
The scale in reach was definitely was smaller than some of those in 3. But specifically referring to elites their movement and stuff felt closer to CE.

I would go for a smaller lag time. 2ms or bust but its great for the price.

also got a source on the patch not affecting the Campaign?

Aren't "2ms" displays usually measured in "gray to gray" and 5ms ones are black to black.

I read it in a bungie update 9 years ago. Also you can try it. You can still sword fly in campaign on the latest (1.5) update

-Ryn

Banned
What is this, "sword flying"?

So apparently there are destructible environments in Halo 2. Can't believe I never noticed. On another note, I hate snipers. Come on and fight me ya cowards!

Tawpgun

Not good enough.

We need like a full a full on Hyrule Hystoria style guide. Will detail all the coolest and saltiest times of HaloGaf and its members. There will also be many holographic bits for GIFs and cool pictures.

It'll be Legendary.
Perfect, we'll create a kickstarter for funding and write the book. I'm sure we will be able to actually finish it.

Rev3rb

What is this, "sword flying"?

So apparently there are destructible environments in Halo 2. Can't believe I never noticed. On another note, I hate snipers. Come on and fight me ya cowards!

Go check out some of Mr Monopoli's H2 speed runs and you'll see a lot of sword flying.

I guess that answers that :p
iJest. Each multiplayer holds a special place in my heart and even though I have several issues with the direction Bungie/343 took, there was a lot of fun that came from each. And at the end of the day what I'm I doing? Still posting on Halo forums, interacting with other Halo nerds.

Halo is love, baby.

Fuchsdh

If you get an IPS chances are it's going to have greater latency than a TN--but you get a nicer picture.

Response time measurements are usually not the best at actually telling you how latency-free the image is though; it can be measured b2b or g2g, et al.

-Ryn

Banned
iJest. Each multiplayer holds a special place in my heart and even though I have several issues with the direction Bungie/343 took, there was a lot of fun that came from each. And at the end of the day what I'm I doing? Still posting on Halo forums, interacting with other Halo nerds.

Halo is love, baby.
If Halo is love, does that make Bungie/343 Cupid?

It's going to be a hell of a time sharing the love in November. I never thought I would get to play CE and 2 online. It's almost too cool to be true. Will probably get my ass handed to me for a bit but that's part of gettin' gud really.

Go check out some of Mr Monopoli's H2 speed runs and you'll see a lot of sword flying.
I'll check it out, thanks dude.

If we are still fighting Elites in Halo 5, I want them to breakdance.
tumblr_mu835jUW6o1sapcoio1_500.gif

Instead it will be a Grunt walking in on two Elites break dancing

If you get an IPS chances are it's going to have greater latency than a TN--but you get a nicer picture.

Response time measurements are usually not the best at actually telling you how latency-free the image is though; it can be measured b2b or g2g, et al.

isn't 1 g2g, like 3 or more b2b?

gAg CruSh3r

Halo is love, baby.

Amen!

Top Bottom