• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT: Anniversary| So fades the great harvest of our betrayal.

Takashi

Nothing too new.

Apparently there will be 2 anniversary maps revealed tomorrow as well as an hour long panel by 343 from 12-1pm CST.

At rtx i assume?

Mix said he was told while he was being shown H2A that there will be a unified ranking system. We all assumed it, but cool to get confirmation.

Cool, not sure how I feel about it being unified but I'll just wait and see how that plays out.

-Ryn

Banned
At rtx i assume?

Cool, not sure how I feel about it being unified but I'll just wait and see how that plays out.
YUUUUP

Tomorrow we will see it. I think. It's closed doors if I recall correctly...

I'm thinking Coagulation or Waterworks will be one of them.

Rev3rb

YUUUUP

Tomorrow we will see it. I think. It's closed doors if I recall correctly...

I'm thinking Coagulation or Waterworks will be one of them.

I'm thinking Zanzi or Terminal. Not sure if I'd be excited about another remake of Blood Gulch...

But Waterworks would be amazing as well.

Mix

Ask Bravo what kind of deodorant he wears please. This is very important to me. Thanks XD
Bro bro bro. If you talk to him before the panel tomorrow, tell him he's a really cool fucking guy. seriously, Bravo is awesome.

Ghazi

Ask Bravo what kind of deodorant he wears please. This is very important to me. Thanks XD

Bravo doesn't wear deodorant. That sweet, succulent scent is his natural smell. He's like a walking scented candle, if that scented candle smelled like overflowing dandelion fields on the beautiful horizon.

That reminds me, I need to start working on that biography for him, which consists of a lot of this. RIP UrbanSpoon.

Ghazi

Zoojoo and I are drink playing through halo anniversary together bitchs

got-drunk-playing-halo-last-night-woke-up-rested-after-8-hours-of-sleep-with-no-hangover-thumb.jpg

You two tomorrow.

Where's Mah Money!?

Was going to jump into the future forge discussion but i would rather wait till tomorrow afternoon to see if there are any reveals.

Dude you should get a huge "payout" with the amount of time you've spent on
absolutely ridiculously insane levels of
fine details in halo 3 forging. I don't get how you're so patient
and down-to-the-pixel-level-obsessive :p
- first map I tried to make on Foundry was an Ivory tower remake and it was abysmal, I was balancing crates and using grav lifts to block entrances... Oh man... Hopefully 343 "throws you a bone" for the grifball ones anyway, with respect to whatever bugs they've "fixed" (let's hope ghost merging is not one of them... else game over?)

That is - assuming anyone even cares about playing Halo 3 grifball.

FyreWulff

Its been so long since I've played it to know.
But didn't they say they're including extra content like cutscenes or maybe missions (excluding terminals)?

I remember some terminals being mentioned. Levels, no.

The only almost finished level that didn't make it into Halo 2 is Forerunner Ship. Would be neat if it was restored, but doesn't sound likely at this point.

-Ryn

Banned
I remember some terminals being mentioned. Levels, no.

The only almost finished level that didn't make it into Halo 2 is Forerunner Ship. Would be neat if it was restored, but doesn't sound likely at this point.
Exploring the Monoloth would've been awesome.

It's a real shame that Halo 2 lost so much in its development. The making of vids showed that there was a lot they had to cut to make the deadline. Imagine if it had another year of dev time. I wonder if it would still pretty much be same or if it would be radically different than the game we got?

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Looking forward to the panel tomorrow morning! Have fun at RTX, whoever all is there.

Defect

I am worried about this unified ranking system. I haven't really been following this game that much so I don't know as much as I should by now. I'm going to assume that there is a ranked/social split and if not, that would be insanely idiotic. If they are separated, each ranked playlist should have it's own individual 1-50 rank just like how it was in Halo 3.

If it is half-assed and you can get a 50 really easily by just playing Halo 4, then there is no point in having this unified system.

NOKYARD

That is - assuming anyone even cares about playing Halo 3 grifball.

Halo 3 Grifball is the best Grifball but it was spoiled by extremely poor networking conditions, giving host god-like powers. The Grifball community is seriously looking forward to (1080p 60fps) server hosted games which will be closer to what they are enjoying at RTX.

BruiqhVCAAAkwGa.jpg:large

FyreWulff

I preferred earlier Halo 3 Grifball over the later variant. The Grif was OP in the later one.

Will be nice to have more consistent hammer physics though. I forsee surfing the hammer bursts above everyone as being more frequent.

Nowise10

I am worried about this unified ranking system. I haven't really been following this game that much so I don't know as much as I should by now. I'm going to assume that there is a ranked/social split and if not, that would be insanely idiotic. If they are separated, each ranked playlist should have it's own individual 1-50 rank just like how it was in Halo 3.

If it is half-assed and you can get a 50 really easily by just playing Halo 4, then there is no point in having this unified system.

Wat. Did 343 confirm their is a unified ranking system?

If so, and if it is "half assed", then that is extremely disappointing. Even the whole concept of putting every single game together just seems wrong to me. If I want to play Halo 2 Team Snipers, I shouldn't have to put up with Halo 3 Snipers or Halo 4 snipers first.

daedalius

Wat. Did 343 confirm there is a unified ranking system? (they did not)

If so, and if it is "half assed", then that is extremely disappointing. Even the whole concept of putting every single game together just seems wrong to me. If I want to play Halo 2 Team Snipers, I shouldn't have to put up with Halo 3 Snipers or Halo 4 snipers first.

jumptoconclusions.jpg

Omni

It's going to be so jarring going from the original trilogy to something like Halo 4, with flinch and perks and stuff

I think I'm more looking forward to being able to play through the campaigns from the one disc at this point than multiplayer. Gonna play the shit out of H2

Nirvana

It's going to be so jarring going from the original trilogy to something like Halo 4, with flinch and perks and stuff

I think I'm more looking forward to being able to play through the campaigns from the one disc at this point than multiplayer. Gonna play the shit out of H2

Agree with both sentiments. I'm still worried that Halo 2 multiplayer will have lost some of its varnish, and that I'm just remembering it super-nostalgically. Especially since customs were such a big part of that game and they likely wont happen these days.

-Ryn

Banned
Agree with both sentiments. I'm still worried that Halo 2 multiplayer will have lost some of its varnish, and that I'm just remembering it super-nostalgically. Especially since customs were such a big part of that game and they likely wont happen these days.
I don't know about that.

I think that Halo 4 customs certainly don't happen a lot, however that's because modding aside, the custom options kinda suck. Even after the population became almost dead I was invited to quite a few in 3. I mean when Halo 3 was released for games with gold there were even more. The only sad thing was that because the file browser was dead few of us actually had all the classic customs.

I can't comment on Halo 2, but I'm sure it's no different. If it was as loved as you guys say then there will definitely be at least a decent population that still hosts customs. It's too bad a browser wasn't made but maybe it'll happen eventually. I mean who really thought the MCC would actually happen? I remember when the idea was met with salty dismissal and sarcastic lols.

If everything else is the same old Halo that I loved, then I can live with a semi decent ranking system. Even if Halo 5 were to suck for whatever reason, I get to PLAY CE and 2 ONLINE! Something that I never thought would happen ever.

I get the concerns and they make sense, but I don't think it should be enough to kill the hype for the mutiplayer. At least not until we know how it works. I wonder if anyone will ask if the clan system is back. If that were brought back for the whole collection instead of just 2 that would be stupid awesome. Thoughts?

daedalius

I don't know about that.

I think that Halo 4 customs certainly don't happen a lot, however that's because modding aside, the custom games kinda suck

Well I guess you won't be getting invited to any of our custom games.

Gun game is pretty awesome actually. And we usually play customs whenever we have ~8-10 online playing.

belushy

Banned
HaloGAF customs are going to rock. 5 different games to choose from, and we can switch between them instantly.

Speaking of mods, I wonder how the mods made for Halo 4 will translate over to MCC's version. Wondering if they will need to be rewritten completely.

Halo 3 Grifball is the best Grifball but it was spoiled by extremely poor networking conditions, giving host god-like powers. The Grifball community is seriously looking forward to (1080p 60fps) server hosted games which will be closer to what they are enjoying at RTX.

BruiqhVCAAAkwGa.jpg:large

The color coded networking cables are a very nice touch.

Quick idea for fileshare improvement in Halo 5. The UI should use Halo 3's fileshare as a template to begin with. It hasn't been bettered in the two games since.

1. Player selects video as normal.

2. Impromptu theatre viewing is enabled on the same page and the player can watch the clip on the right side of the screen. Obviously it would only be for viewing clips; full theatre capability would still demand one to enter the theatre section.

A bit like youtube embedding.

Quick idea for fileshare improvement in Halo 5. The UI should use Halo 3's fileshare as a template to begin with. It hasn't been bettered in the two games since.

2. Impromptu theatre viewing is enabled on the same page and the player can watch the clip on the right side of the screen. Obviously it would only be for viewing clips; full theatre capability would still demand one to enter the theatre section.

Nice ideas and could be a good use of cloud rendering in the background.

Also I'm curious what dedis bring to theatre or more importantly coop theatre. Full real time shared game engine theatre or console/cloud rendered shared videos?

Of course development decisions around these features are relevant now for MCC, however, what about near real time player or free cam spectating via dedis/cloud for Guardians? I can see how development methodologies are shared between such features.

Akai__

Halo 3 File Share >>> every other File Share

I like your idea Henery. Forge mode should also let you take a screenshot of your map, which you can then use as a preview picture in the File Share and in Custom Games, too.

-Ryn

Banned

Sounds very doable and would probably make viewing clips something that people did more often. It's something you could do while waiting for the next match to start up or whatever.

Halo 3 File Share >>> every other File Share

I like your idea Henery. Forge mode should also let you take a screenshot of your map, which you can then use as a preview picture in the File Share and in Custom Games, too.
Wasn't that supposed to be in Halo 4 but it got cut?

Akai__

Wasn't that supposed to be in Halo 4 but it got cut?

Not sure, but I always wanted that feature. Especially after Halo Reach and it's thousands of Forge maps, which I couldn't remember all by name.

Managed to steel the Halo 3 Easy Fullgame Speedrun WR tonight, just so happened to be the run that i randomly click a youtube link at the start and a Hodor song plays lol.

Finished in 1:11:59 (theater times)

Here is the link if anyone is interested:

http://www.twitch.tv/shifty_time/c/4599978

Congratulations on the WR. Didn't watch the whole thing, but color me impressed.

Top Bottom