• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT: Anniversary| So fades the great harvest of our betrayal.

It's simply how some people are going about it, nothing more than that. Sure, people are more than allowed to be skeptical, doubtful, or even dismissive of content other than their priority focus, but it's the way people are complaining is what's crazy. Was Coagulation without Mongooses that phenomenal that adding Gungooses with guns that we have no idea how they operate warrants nasty attitudes or insults being thrown around? Do they warrant snarky comments thrown at 343 when the full new experience was always going to be with Halo 5 in 2015?

To bring it back to reality here for a second, this is a $60 package with all our wet dreams. Consider H2A a tasty dessert of something you've never technically had before, but has ingredients of things you like elsewhere. Cookies and cream, motha suckaz. Who woulda thought.

Side Note: I like how when explaining that altered jump from PP bridge on Ascension they noted how even though it may technically be easier to jump around, it allows for more movement options because now players can jump backwards on it. Honestly, I was excited when I heard that because I'm a player that likes to constantly move, melee walls, jump around crazily but in angles that I know will work, so having the opportunity for that sort of movement piques my curiosity. Again, it's not like combat scenarios in that area were so amazing that we should be raising pitchforks yet. Maybe it will play better than classic Ascension, much like Pitfall with the added space under Sword IMO.

Woorloog

Banned
How did the silenced weapon work on H2 Vista? Never played it/heard much about it.

The weapon is, by default, only available in the editor tutorial map. And it doesn't really work any differently from the normal SMG, IIRC. Different sound and it has this silly laser sight that doesn't point where you aim the weapon, that's all.

BTW, it should be noted that that the M6C/SOCOM and M7S in Halo 3: ODST are not actually suppressed weapons, the AI detects them like normal weapons. Presumably the engine doesn't actually support such thing as a silent (not that suppressed weapons are silent) weapon, though normal melees (not hammer primary or sword primary nor normal) are silent.

Takashi

It's happened to me before too but I always attributed to some kind of glitch. For instance with the Warthog, the hood will be blown off and on fire when it is at its worst condition. For whatever reason though sometimes the fire wouldn't actually appear. Not sure if it was a network thing or just a big like I said earlier. This I can see being a problem since it is a major visual indicator.

The Falcon is easier to tell with since it's engines are HUGE and even when it isn't on fire you can see that it is practically being held together by nothing but your sheer will to not explode in the sky.

Basically for the health system to work it needs to have visual indicators that aren't easily mistaken. Though the beeping sort of helps there's a point where beeping really fast is hard to differentiate from beeping slightly faster because you're about to be a flaming ball if shrapnel. The health display from CE really needs to come back along with being able to see your team health.

No doubt it was probably just networking issues or some glitch, it'd just happened so much that I had become accustomed to generally just avoid vehicles in Reach. I'd rather vehicle health be tied to player health anyway, much better of an indicator.

m23

I'll definitely try out H2A, but I think I'll stick with Halo 2 and 3 multiplayer.

Also, that terminal trailer gave me chills.

"Your Master Chief calls me.....friend. How well do you know your friend, human. And what will befall me when you learn the truth of what I have done"

TheOddOne

Oh yea. 1v1 me right now. Rockets Hang em high Halo PC on 56k!
iblGDnEgBivUzn.gif

It wasnt penalty - Mexico.
iM22EyD0lHYp8.gif

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
If anyone wants to try for the ricochet achievements I am playing right now.

GT: Calm Killer

lizardwizarding

Neo Member
I get the PR cycle but christ, that panel was light on info. I wouldn't be so bent about it if it wasn't news about a game we have all already played!

They could have easily not dodged the question about the armor customization by just going into the menu and saying "see? this is what it looks like".

Same with forge, theater or H3/H4's resolution bumps and gameplay.

They're going to show extended features of those things anyway -- at least satiate and clear up some of the confusion a bit would be much appreciated imo.

wwm0nkey

That's what a community is. Otherwise you risk just having an echo chamber and every post is a circle jerk. No one is fighting here, we're having arguments which are healthy and quote conducive to discussion. Everyone has valid and differing opinions. I haven't seen anyone insult/attack another poster yet, so I dunno.
Idk sometimes I feel like it gets kinda close. I mean I like debate but sometimes I think people could chill for a min.

That is some beautiful concept art. Prolly some of my favorite I've seen from Halo, period.

Also: are there hitmarkers in the remastered multi?

EDIT: Watching the VOD now. But that menu design pretty strongly suggests that campaign scoring is in Halo 2 (there's a top 5 friends leaderboard when they're looking through Halo 2 campaign playlists.). Do we have any confirmation on that?

I really like them too, the broken up canyon walls are really nice looking in that one piece. Not sure if it's Sparth (doesn't look like it, who knows), but either way I'm beyond ecstatic that he became art director after Halo 4 - dude's a boss, and I already know just based on his work that the look of Halo 5 is going to be ABSOLUTELY bananas, guaranteed! Quote me on that shit.

Here's some in better quality from xbox press site that aren't tinged orange capped from the twitch stream:

Didn't see hitmarkers in the E3 gameplay, but that was an earlier build, so I'm not sure.

I think you're right about campaign scoring I picked up on that too in the stream but I missed getting a screenshot. They haven't talked about it, but it's already there in the UI so I'd say it's all but confirmed. Leaderboards for the various game modes is a good idea, hopefully they elaborate on just how far they're going with it this time.

ElRenoRaven

I really like them too, the broken up canyon walls are really nice looking in that one piece. Not sure if it's Sparth (doesn't look like it, who knows), but either way I'm beyond ecstatic that he became art director after Halo 4 - dude's a boss, and I already know just based on his work that the look of Halo 5 is going to be ABSOLUTELY bananas, guaranteed! Quote me on that shit.

Here's some in better quality from xbox press site that aren't tinged orange capped from the twitch stream:

Didn't see hitmarkers in the E3 gameplay, but that was an earlier build, so I'm not sure.

I think you're right about campaign scoring I picked up on that too in the stream but I missed getting a screenshot. They haven't talked about it, but it's already there in the UI so I'd say it's all but confirmed. Leaderboards for the various game modes is a good idea, hopefully they elaborate on just how far they're going with it this time.

Oh yea they made him art director? That's awesome.

Again... What the hell is the Spartan in the cave Holding?

Oh yea they made him art director? That's awesome.

Yep, Kenneth Scott left to be art director at OculusVR, and they made Sparth art director for the whole franchise. It IS awesome. I could look at his shit for days: http://sparth.tumblr.com/

Everything posted on there is entirely his. Just nuts. Absolutely nuts.

Woah good eye. No clue. Too bad that's the best version I could find and there's compression artifacts when trying to get a closer look :( Hopefully 343 can release some higher quality pngs for the Bulletin.

Ghazi

Obviously he's Lockdown from the Transformers: Age of Extinction and is mid transformation into a gun for head.

Duh!

Sparth is the mexican artist right? love how he insert the virgin marie in cortana in some of the art.
"Sparth (nicolas bouvier) has been an active artistic director and concept designer in the gaming industry since 1996. Born in France, he now lives in Seattle, Washington, working for Microsoft."

... so pretty much, yeah

Sparth is the mexican artist right? love how he insert the virgin marie in cortana in some of the art.
"Sparth (nicolas bouvier) has been an active artistic director and concept designer in the gaming industry since 1996. Born in France, he now lives in Seattle, Washington, working for Microsoft."

... so pretty much, yeah

Mmm there is another artist who have a latinanerican name who also made a promotional art for Halo 4.

Oh damn what happened to him

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
If anyone wants to try for the ricochet achievements I am playing right now.

GT: Calm Killer

2 of us so far

ElRenoRaven

Yep, Kenneth Scott left to be art director at OculusVR, and they made Sparth art director for the whole franchise. It IS awesome. I could look at his shit for days: http://sparth.tumblr.com/

Everything posted on there is entirely his. Just nuts. Absolutely nuts.

Woah good eye. No clue. Too bad that's the best version I could find and there's compression artifacts when trying to get a closer look :( Hopefully 343 can release some higher quality pngs for the Bulletin.

Thank god. I wasn't a fan of the art direction of 4. Hopefully this means from here on out it's better looking.

Obviously he's Lockdown from the Transformers: Age of Extinction and is mid transformation into a gun for head.

Duh!

... so pretty much, yeah

SPOILERS!!!! I havent seen it yet lol. im only going to see it for Marky Mark tho

belushy

Banned
Here's an example of what I was talking about with shadows hiding weapons:
Cmyf9QB.png

Indicators are useful for that. Also, looks like weapons cast shadows now (at least static ones), has that ever been a thing? I don't remember it being in Halo 4.

Supposedly there are 3 buttons to activate the shield dome on Ascension. I've only been able to scout 2.

Skybridge:

And snipe 2:

I guess the 3rd one is somewhere around the low tower area, because the other two are almost right next to each other at high tower, but I couldn't find it in the video.

I also noticed that the spinning thinger over top mid slows down and changes direction now, too.

I like the weapon indicators change.

I believe the 3rd button is up on the other snipe tower. I'll watch through the video again.

Thinking about it more, only thing that comes to mind is maybe a new model for the Flamethrower? That was in the cave on Halo CE on PC, maybe they brought that over to Halo 2A. It kind of reminds me of a bigger version of the railgun, and it matches the UNSC's recent more forerunner-influenced designs I guess. I give it a 30% chance.

Rampant wish? Ancient Human gun:

Excuse the quality, it's impossible for me to find a direct feed fullHD of the Halo 4 terminals to download and the ones on Waypoint are kinda poopy. I couldn't find any good visuals of the ancient human weapons in anything else, either. I think it would be awesome if ONI found schematics or an ancient stash of our old stuff. I give it a 0.6% chance.

FyreWulff

I demade Ascension Anniversary using Reach Pinnacle as a base

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/...iew-select=Tile&startIndex=0&details=33574516

Changed the skybridge and OS jump to match AscAnni functionally

Added the rock jump on spiral staircase

Put the Banshee in and adjusted the soft safe zone so it could actually have time to turn around on that side of the map

Restored some of the tower structure to give the banshee something to hide behind

Didn't want to reforge the Sniper ramp/platform so I kept the spirit of the new easier jump by forging an assistive ledge onto that piece that lets you just walk onto that part

Should give you a rough idea of the changes. This was done fast, I only changed a couple of weapon spawns and didn't re-rig any gametypes.

Dat percussion. *tear*

edit: seriously. the drums were a major thing missing from halo 4's campaign encounters.

I used a mixture of a concert bass drum, some synthesized low boomy drum, toms, a sheet metal impact (or something similar) and taiko drum stick clicks. Really fun.

Edit: Oh, and the metal and tom sounds played in reverse at one point.

daedalius

Dat percussion. *tear*

edit: seriously. the drums were a major thing missing from halo 4's campaign encounters.

The mix on H4's soundtrack was just bad, so many tracks from 2 and 3 just bring me back to that moment in the game, but (even though I really like H4's soundtrack) I remember almost nothing when listening to H4s.

I loved the mix in H2, dat guitar. H3's is really great too, lots of memorable feels.

H5 soundtrack, I really hope is mixed properly for a game.

Ghazi

The mix on H4's soundtrack was just bad

Frankly, it was embarrassing. I've played iPhone games that had better mixing than Halo 4 did. Even worse, being that Davidge composed some decent tracks, as well as my homeboy Sotaro Tojima. How it got messed up when that man has worked on so many good games (MGS series, Castlevania) is beyond me.

Being able to barely hear 117 while you piloted the Broadsword in Midnight has to have been one of the biggest turn offs I've had in a game regarding mixing. Especially since I had listened to the soundtrack religiously before the game actually came out, or at least what was available of it.

Being able to barely hear 117 while you piloted the Broadsword in Midnight has to have been one of the biggest turn offs I've had in a game regarding mixing. Especially since I had listened to the soundtrack religiously before the game actually came out, or at least what was available of it.

It's a shame. That key change when you fly out into the open area is so epic when you actually hear it...

Top Bottom