• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT: Anniversary| So fades the great harvest of our betrayal.

Nah man, a taco is like a breakfast for us, maybe an Alambre with so much spicy

Every post you make about food/drink makes me love you.

Also, tonight was amazing! I'm gonna have to make a video of some of the shenanigans. What happened to your connection at the end, man?

II SHABUTIE II

Neo Member
Concept art. He's holding concept art.

Yeah, I wouldn't look too far into it. Sometimes concept art can be slightly deceptive. It could just be a quick "slop job" gun. I don't think the idea is to show off any new/old gun in particular. Kinda like how sometimes marines and Chief end up in MP concept art, but never in the actual mp portion of the game. By MC I mean olive green campaign Chief.

Mix

The party, which was far less super secret and more totally badass this year, was totally badass. Super fun and a lot of cool people. It gets better and better every year.

I'm so fucking excited for tomorrow though

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
How's the The Pit remake in Halo 4? I haven't had a chance to play it yet.

II SHABUTIE II

Neo Member

I was never a fan of The Pit, with that said, Ricochet on Pitfall is one of the funnest things to do in Halo 4. Aside from that, it plays pretty similar to how it used to, difference being mainly sprint, getting you through mid quicker and getting you out of harms way all too often.

FyreWulff

Some quick shots of that Anni Ascension in Reach map, because Waypoint finally caught up:

Rock Staircase

The changed bridge w/ OS. You have to crouch jump to get to the ramp, like in the demo

The widened banshee ramp. This area is really sloppy, could have done a better job even for a prototype

The sniper jump, reach style. Amusingly, there's an opening on that forge piece, but it's on the wrong side. This ledge lets you just walk forward once you get on it due to the little ramp so it mostly works the same

Second pass I'll do something better than the glass sails

I was never a fan of The Pit, with that said, Ricochet on Pitfall is one of the funnest things to do in Halo 4. Aside from that, it plays pretty similar to how it used to, difference being mainly sprint, getting you through mid quicker and getting you out of harms way all too often.

Surprisingly Solid.

The real problems exist with Halo 4's gameplay.

IHaveIce

Banned
Fyre I don't want to sound rude or anything... but why did you do that? It seems like unnecessary work? Reach won't feel close at all kovement wise to H2A, and has complete different sandbox.

Also I heard there are even more new vehicles in HH2A? If that is cprrect we can bet Cpagulation isn't the only remade BTB map.

Also did they clarify if the Banshee in H2A will be bombless? Because fucl the banshee bomb

Frankly, it was embarrassing. I've played iPhone games that had better mixing than Halo 4 did. Even worse, being that Davidge composed some decent tracks, as well as my homeboy Sotaro Tojima. How it got messed up when that man has worked on so many good games (MGS series, Castlevania) is beyond me.

Being able to barely hear 117 while you piloted the Broadsword in Midnight has to have been one of the biggest turn offs I've had in a game regarding mixing. Especially since I had listened to the soundtrack religiously before the game actually came out, or at least what was available of it.

Sotaro composed? I thought he was just the sound engineer. I was under the impression it was Neil / Kazuma that were running the sound track.

-Ryn

Banned
It was fun back when you could actually expect to play it. It worked well with ricochet too. I can't reLly think of any problems with it either. Obviously sprint has an effect on how it plays but... eh.

If it wasn't for me Ian wouldn't have gotten in tbh. The 343vHG didn't happen tonight :/
But interview is nailed in, prepare your butts
BUTT.gif

Karl2177

Apologies if this is too late, Mix/ZooJoo.

1.) Will Waypoint stats be revised for the MCC?

2.) Will there be new stat hooks for H2A multiplayer (eg Snapshot for Halo 4)?

3.) Will there be a public developer API?

Kampfheld

Banned

There will be some form of stats tracking, yes. However, we do not know how this will look like exactly. With 4 months left for developement, I could imagine this is something that stands at the very end of the roadmap.

Mix

Not to worry, we still have time. Actually came in to post a final final call on questions, interview is soon and we need to get it all organized.

Excuse me for being upset that 343 ruined a perfectly simple process of remaking 6 hand selected maps that seriously only needed to be "HD-d" to be good.

343 took it upon themselves to add these horrible changes when they were unneeded.

Ugh, back to Halo 3 I go. That'll at least be fun until 343 "Modernizes" it in 2017 and ruins the last good memory I have with Halo.

Please leave.

Every post you make about food/drink makes me love you.

Also, tonight was amazing! I'm gonna have to make a video of some of the shenanigans. What happened to your connection at the end, man?

No idea, it happens when it past the 1 am, I guess the dead rat just felt of the internet cable again.

Superb matches yesterday anyway

family-guy-trololo-o.gif

Fracas

#fuckonami
Because the maps need to be shiny to be good...

He's just saying he hopes there's a way to play actual Halo 2 on the updated maps. I feel the same way.

Obviously it isn't a dealbreaker as I can still play the hell out of CE/2/3, but I can't help but be a bit disappointed that (what should be) the best versions of these maps are tied to a gametype I have no interest in.

FyreWulff

Fyre I don't want to sound rude or anything... but why did you do that? It seems like unnecessary work? Reach won't feel close at all kovement wise to H2A, and has complete different sandbox.

Also I heard there are even more new vehicles in HH2A? If that is cprrect we can bet Cpagulation isn't the only remade BTB map.

Also did they clarify if the Banshee in H2A will be bombless? Because fucl the banshee bomb

Just to get a feel for the changes. You can just change Reach settings to imitate Halo 2's, and play with ZB to imitate the H2 BR.

I also find it amusing to make a map from a video before the map is actually released.

Also, it took me like, a half hour to make

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Question: Do you all want to see the pulse grenade return in Halo 5? If so, would you change it? The Halo 4 variant seems widely regarded as useless, and I'm wondering if it really has a place in the sandbox.

m23

Question: Do you all want to see the pulse grenade return in Halo 5? If so, would you change it? The Halo 4 variant seems widely regarded as useless, and I'm wondering if it really has a place in the sandbox.

I'd rather not see it in 5. This is coming from someone who has like 2 kills with it total.

Right know in Halo 4 is a finisher grenade, it have less danger than a plasma grenade and you can simply pass trought it without being in danger at all

It needs to drain shield faster the more you stay in the area (maybe a slow movement ability?) not killing the spartan in the process and the explosion needs a pushback ability or stun for vehicles.

-Ryn

Banned
So I finally managed to check out the Ascencion walk through (so busy procrastinating and whatnot) and MY GOD. I know it's been said but that skybox is GORGEOUS. I couldn't believe what I was looking at! I love that the Halo ring is to scale as well. It's the little things.

That coagulation concept art is nothing to scoff at either! I mean I'm genuinely looking forward to an actual remake of it and not a Forge variant. Can't wait to see if those open areas to the side in the art are actually going to be implemented in some way.

I also find it amusing to make a map from a video before the map is actually released.
image.php

Mistel

Banned
I don't think it really does much myself I mean the concepts alright but the execution is lacking. Like the rest of the forerunner weapons in 4 it just takes up space in the sandbox which it doesn't really justify. So I wouldn't want it back again.

-Ryn

Banned
I would like to see it return but only if they can give it more of a defined role.

The only thing I ever really used it for was to kind of "block off" players that were after me since it acted sort of like a wall. Other than that though I only used it if I had nothing else. It's really a shame too because the concept sounds pretty cool, but the grenade is just too weak and it doesn't have much impact except in a select few situations.

The spike grenade for instance had the same sticking ability as the plasmas, however it's own blast radius was much smaller. This was fine though because it had the ability to stick to any surface and shoot off a cone of pointy death that would ricochet just to make sure it killed you. This gave it a unique role in the sandbox that was fun and felt good to pull off.

If the Pulse grenade is brought back it needs to have that unique role. One possible change could be to add a slight EMP blast when the grenade hits detonates. It won't happen until the grenade actually is set off though so it could be avoided. The EMP could be represented by a ring of sorts that blasts outwards showing the actual reach of it too.

Sort of like this
1387087978201.jpg

It would still put up the pulse sphere as well. Slightly increase the damage output of the sphere as well to make it more threatening and keep it the same size. This way if the players shields were hit at all it would deter them from running straight through the sphere itself.

I can't really think of much else that would keep its current play style.

Fuchsdh

Maybe give it a EMP effect, so it would shut down or slow vehicles that passed through it, and drain shields. Right now the issue is that it doesn't seem to do much except stop people from moving through an area. Either boost its damage, boost its utility, or boost that defensive capability, I guess.

Sort of like this
1387087978201.jpg

It would still put up the pulse sphere as well. Slightly increase the damage output of the sphere as well to make it more threatening and keep it the same size. This way if the players shields were hit at all it would deter them from running straight through the sphere itself.

I can't really think of much else that would keep its current play style.

So if i gather several guys and everyone throws pulse grenades it nukes the match?

I think the Pulse Grenade could work as a low-grade Incendiary, kind of like the Frag-to-Plasma relationship. Pulse is a duration-based AOE, could offer slightly more damage in-field and also induce slowdown on horizontal and vertical planes, making it a Stasis Grenade of sorts. In other words, you could lock enemies attempting to flee or cake a power weapon in it to prevent a speedy getaway by the enemy team, slow down an otherwise lethal fall on your part, etc.

I think in addition to the weaker, more movement-focused Pulse there needs to be a stronger fourth grenade type that goes in for direct kills, though.

-Ryn

Banned
So if i gather several guys and everyone throws pulse grenades it nukes the match?
Yes. It would actually bleed over into other peoples matches as well killing all that are playing on that map. The only thing that they will see before they die is a pretty light and then dead.

This way it will not only be feared, but it will add a dynamic element to the the online multiplayer that is super cool. If the enemy team is running away with your flag or destroying you with all dem vehicles, a giant death ring could blast out of nowhere followed by a lovely blue sphere of doom. If that happens you can even find out what players initiated it and send them a thank you message because it will be tied to their kills.

This will also eliminate KD boosting since you can just nuke the entirety of multiplayer once and you're good.

nillapuddin

UNSC EMP grenades/discs just need to be a thing.

Instant explosion upon hitting an object or player, small radius, full shield deletion.

Direct vehicle hit = full stun
Non direct vehicle exposure = temp slowdown

They even use some device like that in Headhunters, I feel like that's the only additional grenade type that could be meaningfully useful in our sandbox.

Duji

What I'm wondering is if H2A will have lower levels of aim assist to nerf things like the noob combo. Hopefully Tashi or Stinkles can answer this one.

jem0208

Excuse me for being upset that 343 ruined a perfectly simple process of remaking 6 hand selected maps that seriously only needed to be "HD-d" to be good.

343 took it upon themselves to add these horrible changes when they were unneeded.

Ugh, back to Halo 3 I go. That'll at least be fun until 343 "Modernizes" it in 2017 and ruins the last good memory I have with Halo.
God damn the negativity.

So many people are just assuming the changes are going to be horrible without really knowing.

Also aren't Certain Affinity and Max (the guy who originally designed the maps...) the ones designing the new maps...?

ElRenoRaven

Just to get a feel for the changes. You can just change Reach settings to imitate Halo 2's, and play with ZB to imitate the H2 BR.

Also, it took me like, a half hour to make

Far better person then I am. I'd just have said why not? lol

I would like to see it return but only if they can give it more of a defined role.

The only thing I ever really used it for was to kind of "block off" players that were after me since it acted sort of like a wall. Other than that though I only used it if I had nothing else. It's really a shame too because the concept sounds pretty cool, but the grenade is just too weak and it doesn't have much impact except in a select few situations.

The spike grenade for instance had the same sticking ability as the plasmas, however it's own blast radius was much smaller. This was fine though because it had the ability to stick to any surface and shoot off a cone of pointy death that would ricochet just to make sure it killed you. This gave it a unique role in the sandbox that was fun and felt good to pull off.

If the Pulse grenade is brought back it needs to have that unique role. One possible change could be to add a slight EMP blast when the grenade hits detonates. It won't happen until the grenade actually is set off though so it could be avoided. The EMP could be represented by a ring of sorts that blasts outwards showing the actual reach of it too.

Sort of like this
http://1-media-cdn.foolz.us/ffuuka/board/tg/image/1387/08/1387087978201.jpg[img]

I can't really think of much else that would keep its current play style.[/QUOTE]

Goddamn it. Now I miss Spike Grenades again. Same with the never used flame grenades. Bring those back for Halo 5 please 343!

Top Bottom