• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT: Anniversary| So fades the great harvest of our betrayal.

Computron

Computron is clearly better at this than I am. It also doesn't help that the Engineering department decided to take away my 3dsMax when I changed majors, but oh well.

I started with a piece of concept art from Isaac Hannaford. If you don't know who that is, then go check out his site. If you do know who it is, check it again. He's definitely one of the most precise artists I've seen, and I really enjoy all of his work. Anywho, here's the full Assault Rifle concept image page. I chose the middle one, because I didn't want the Airsoft gun look of previous ARs, but I didn't want it to look Mass Effect-y.

XppkAom.png

I was going to fuck with HaloGAF a while back, but it wasn't quite up to my standards. What I was going to do was slap the following gif on a shaky cam gif of my desktop, but it didn't look the best and I knew it wouldn't fool anyone(maybe HaloFollower).

ePN874r.gif

That was back when I was maybe 20% done with modelling. I cleaned a bunch of stuff up, made it less jagged, and just made it a bit nicer looking. For the few of you that do care, here's what I have today. I made a few changes, mostly because I would mess up but like the accident, so I would keep it.

YJmHyHr.png

k0hXERz.png

Comments and criticisms are appreciated.

3D Studio Max is available free to all students.

Along with everything else that Autodesk has to offer. (Maya, Mudbox, MotionBuilder, AutoCAD, Revit, etc.)

students.autodesk.com

-------------------------------------

For a modern weapon model you will have to look into learning SubD modeling tutorials (Start with Grant Warwick's, its easily the most popular and straight forward). Going anywhere serious in 3D will require those skills.

If you're going to stick with low poly work you should learn to manipulate smoothing-groups (They might be called hard/soft edges if your in a package other than 3DS Max)

Other thing to note is that you should blockout the entirety of the mesh at the beginning, progressively getting all the large and medium sized shapes/forms down, and only really look at adding detail once you've got those figured out. Save things like bevels for later, it will save you a lot of headache.

If you start with Sub-D modeling, you can very easily approximate a lot of the curvy forms of things like guns with very little geometry. You can simply bash a lot of that segmented pieces together as your blockout, not worrying too heavily about connecting it all together. Then if quad topology isn't your strong suit, you can always re-topologize on top of this blockout, I find this method to be easier to understand for beginners.

m23

A bit off topic: So I can buy an Xbone. Like right now

But I dunno. Any recommendations on games? Preferably ones that don't require 10GB patches just to play online (which is completely ridiculous, by the way)

Titanfall is good fun, Killer Instinct, and a bunch of smaller games ie Max Curse of Brotherhood (which is free right now).

But I dunno. Any recommendations on games? Preferably ones that don't require 10GB patches just to play online (which is completely ridiculous, by the way)

Killer Instinct for sure. Can't go wrong with free. Ditto Max and Guacamelee, for similar reasons. Ryse is worth a rent, as is Titanfall (keep it until you hit max level, decide whether or not it's worth it once you get all the toys). Past that, not sure.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member

Titanfall, Guacamelee, Strider, Super Time Force, Child of Light. Battlefield is great, but the patches are absurd.

Omni

So I had a look online and ehh. All I saw were bundles that included download codes for Titanfall and Forza and physical games that require huge patches like Dead Rising 3 (because we can all spare 100+GB of bandwidth huh). Sure I could just buy a disc version of Titanfall and Forza on top of the console bundle, but by then you're going into the 800+ dollar mark for games that don't particularly appeal to me

So I'm not gonna bother. Looks like I'll just pick something up at Halo: Master Chief Collection release. Or a few days before so I can set it up ready. Thanks anyway guys

jem0208

DR3 is fun, Forza 5 is great if you like racers, AC4 is awesome.

I've heard good things about garden warfare and Titanfall is a really fun game. Battlefield 4 is finally actually working as well.

There are also a bunch of smaller games. Max and the curse of brotherhood is pretty good and its free at the moment. Guacamelee is also free and is absolutely fantastic.

I'd say it's definitely worth it.

Edit: oh, missed your last post :p

So I had a look online and ehh. All I saw were bundles that included download codes for Titanfall and Forza and physical games that require huge patches like Dead Rising 3 (because we can all spare 100+GB of bandwidth huh). Sure I could just buy a disc version of Titanfall and Forza on top of the console bundle, but by then you're going into the 800+ dollar mark for games that don't particularly appeal to me

So I'm not gonna bother. Looks like I'll just pick something up at Halo: Master Chief Collection release. Or a few days before so I can set it up ready. Thanks anyway guys
Anyone that's looking at jumping in on XBO/PS4 and happens to have shit internet and/or capped bandwidth should look into any alternative ISP options in their area. Welcome to the digital age boys and girls, you gonna need some bandwidth, and it's not about to get lighter as time goes on.

aka RIP Kentucky the post

Nirvana

The single most difficult section in any Halo.
Needs perfection... last time i spent 45 minutes on it.
Gotta pick up more Needler ammo... and not waste it.

Depends on your checkpoints. The part in Gravemind where you drop down the lift and kill the two brutes facing away from you sometimes doesn't give you a checkpoint until 2-3 sections later in the level - as shown by that guy's SLASO run on stream not too long ago. If you get bad checkpoints I would say that part is definitely the worst, simply for the fact that one mistake can send you back 20 minutes.

Worst parts on Legendary in order:

Cairo Station - the second attached ship part with the Zealot

Cairo Station - the bomb room

Outskirts - Sniper alley

Metropolis - Driving over the jump where the drones fly over you, bad spawns/enemy AI deciding to shoot you can make this hell

Metropolis - 2 Wraiths when you get the Gauss Hog, mostly due to your allies killing you in their Warthog

Arbiter - Some sections of the tunnels if you are too quick/slow can have bad enemy positioning for camoing past them, which can really suck

Arbiter - Banshee section, specifically when trying to get infinite sword due to unpredictable Fuel Rod grunts

Oracle - Occasionally when you drop down the lift the enemy positions can be off and you can just die constantly

Delta Halo - If you get bad checkpoints at the bridge it's pretty bad, the Wraiths can also destroy you Scorpion - which isn't the end of the world if you are a Ghost runner

Delta Halo - Sniper section, one of my least favourite parts of the run. The Drones are the real problem here, and if you can't make it to the Magnum cave you are pretty much boned

Regret - Regret....fucking Regret

Sacred Icon - Nothing hard about this level, just shoot and run...

Quarantine Zone - Again, easy level, just drive. Occasionally the rocket Flood will insta-destroy you if you aren't quick enough just before the Wraith/Scorpion portion

Gravemind - Fire section can be hard, but I have it down to an art form at this point - annoying part is reloading when the Brutes don't give you Carbines

Gravemind - The lift section I mentioned, likely one of my least favourite parts in the game

Uprising - Attempting to do the glitch to get to the next level can be a pain in the balls, and the part before it with the jackal sniper can be a real problem as well if your camo timing is slightly off

High Charity - The very first door can really suck on this level without the Envy skull, due to zero cover and lots of Brutes. Rocket launcher helps

High Charity - Section where the Flood spawn from the sides and fight the Covies can be bad due to the issue of them spawning right behind you and instakilling you while you're trying to pick off the Brutes

Great Journey - The entire Banshee section kind of blows, getting a Wraith makes it easier but the section right before Johnson blasts the door kind of sucks. Tartarus is easy once you have the Banshee (although on my old 360 for some reason Johnson would only shoot him twice, so I had to backtrack to the Phantom bridge to get a Beam Rifle and do the last shot myself...)

I have most of the game down, but I would say that the Delta Halo sniping section, the Wraith section on Metropolis and the lift section of Gravemind are my least favourite parts of the game.

It'll be fun to do a casual normal/heroic run of H2A so I can enjoy the game more, last 10 runs or so have been on Legendary and you can't really focus on enjoying the game when some sections are as harrowing as they are...

Woorloog

Banned
I can see a grenade launcher attachment for the AR in the future, and its scare me.

If it worked like the Reach Grenade Launcher...
Caveats: It prevents the use of normal grenades, and uses LT for launching grenades (alt-fire essentially), and while holding LT to use EMP grenades, you cannot fire the AR normally.
If the AR is tweaked to be useful only for close combat, this would give AR some nice utility.

Interestingly this could be applied to the BR too, and perhaps some other UNSC weapons.

And we can extend this: make the grenade launcher a "power-up weapon attachment". You pick it up (probably by holding X/Action when walking on it in case you don't want it due to its nature as i propose) but it will have limited ammo. It wouldn't be quite a power weapon so they can be relatively common.

And this idea can be extended to other things as well, temporary scope, temporary high-power ammo (ie AR could get a magazine of "shredder" ammo), etc. Armor stuff too, like active camo or overshield ("shield reinforcer"?).
As long as stuff doesn't look like stupid glowing light balls or cubes or whatever, i might like power ups. Something that fits the overall aesthetics, unlike what previous Halos had for power-ups (yes yes, the biggest argument in favor of light balls and cubes is that they're easily visible and easily communicate what it is).

Just throwing out some random ideas i just had. Probabilities are, they wouldn't really work that well with Halo... but i reckon they're better than having loadouts and perks given that these are on the maps and picked up like weapons.

If it worked like the Reach Grenade Launcher...
Caveats: It prevents the use of normal grenades, and uses LT for launching grenades (alt-fire essentially), and while holding LT to use EMP grenades, you cannot fire the AR normally.
If the AR is tweaked to be useful only for close combat, this would give AR some nice utility.

Interestingly this could be applied to the BR too, and perhaps some other UNSC weapons.

And we can extend this: make the grenade launcher a "power-up weapon attachment". You pick it up (probably by holding X/Action when walking on it in case you don't want it due to its nature as i propose) but it will have limited ammo. It wouldn't be quite a power weapon so they can be relatively common.

And this idea can be extended to other things as well, temporary scope, temporary high-power ammo (ie AR could get a magazine of "shredder" ammo), etc. Armor stuff too, like active camo or overshield ("shield reinforcer"?).
As long as stuff doesn't look like stupid glowing light balls or cubes or whatever, i might like power ups. Something that fits the overall aesthetics, unlike what previous Halos had for power-ups (yes yes, the biggest argument in favor of light balls and cubes is that they're easily visible and easily communicate what it is).

Just throwing out some random ideas i just had. Probabilities are, they wouldn't really work that well with Halo... but i reckon they're better than having loadouts and perks given that these are on the maps and picked up like weapons.

The glowy power orbs are the best part of powerups though! It's funny that you mention shredder rounds, because they're a thing in-universe. They're not very efficient against armor, though, so I can't imagine what use they would have in arena multi. Maybe they'd be good anti-vehicle weapons, or flip the shield-health dynamic on its head for UNSC weaponry.

Woorloog

Banned
The glowy power orbs are the best part of powerups though! It's funny that you mention shredder rounds, because they're a thing in-universe. They're not very efficient against armor, though, so I can't imagine what use they would have in arena multi. Maybe they'd be good anti-vehicle weapons, or flip the shield-health dynamic on its head for UNSC weaponry.

I thought about the shredder rounds when i mentioned them, i figured they'd be more effective against shields (at very least) and thus explain the extra damage (rather than just being "more damage in general for no particular reason". Note that i really mean them to be limited to the weapon you pick them up for).
Flip-flopping the shield-health dynamic would be neat. It would make them a counter for overshields too come to think of this.

This ammo power-up might depend on the weapon, i think. No idea how it would work for energy weapons.
The Carbine could get rounds that cause damage over time, "toxic rounds". The Sniper could get.. dunno, guided-projectiles like what DARPA is developing at the moment IRL, at the expense of raw damage. The Pistol could get exploding ammo. And so on.

I thought about the shredder rounds when i mentioned them, i figured they'd be more effective against shields (at very least) and thus explain the extra damage (rather than just being "more damage in general for no particular reason". Note that i really mean them to be limited to the weapon you pick them up for).
Flip-flopping the shield-health dynamic would be neat. It would make them a counter for overshields too come to think of this.

This ammo power-up might depend on the weapon, i think. No idea how it would work for energy weapons.
The Carbine could get rounds that cause damage over time, "toxic rounds". The Sniper could get.. dunno, guided-projectiles like what DARPA is developing at the moment IRL, at the expense of raw damage. The Pistol could get exploding ammo. And so on.

I think the problem with a universal "Ammo Boost" powerup is that you'd suddenly have to memorize the unique buffs to every gun in the sandbox. It'd probably just be easier to establish a powerup that switches the shield-health damage ratios for every gun in the sandbox (Battle Rifle is now good against shields, Carbine can one-shot unshielded players anywhere on the body, Shotgun is mainly unaffected, etc. under the assumption that UNSC bullets become Shredders and plasma weaponry becomes a more compounded particle-beam tech or some shit) while the explosive weapons just get a little more boom to them.

"it isn't fun being spawn killed over and over again"

"the CE magnum isn't fun since good players just keep killing everyone else over and over again with it"

As soon as you start hearing these sorts of complaints you know instantly the problem is the matchmaking system and not the game itself. IMO there is no such thing as a game with a skill gap too big. If a team of good players can consistently 50-0 nooby teams then that is a wonderful thing. However the goal of any ranking system should be to normalize everyone's win/loss ratio to 50/50 by finding even matches and thus 50-0 games should rarely happen.
50-0 games show a game that may have potential. Having a weapon that even though you get the first shot or two or three doesn't guarantee you the kill if the enemy is strafing and has better accuracy is indicative of a well balanced and skill based game.
Garden Warfare ye scrubs!
The new map they released is legit, with the train. Vanquish Confirmed is surprisingly pretty competitive too.

PvZ GW is one of the best shooters I've played in ages. Still could use some more content though like CTF and smaller maps with smaller player counts.

Woorloog

Banned
I think the problem with a universal "Ammo Boost" powerup is that you'd suddenly have to memorize the unique buffs to every gun in the sandbox. It'd probably just be easier to establish a powerup that switches the shield-health damage ratios for every gun in the sandbox (Battle Rifle is now good against shields, Carbine can one-shot unshielded players anywhere on the body, Shotgun is mainly unaffected, etc. under the assumption that UNSC bullets become Shredders and plasma weaponry becomes a more compounded particle-beam tech or some shit) while the explosive weapons just get a little more boom to them.

Yup. True dat.
Let's add a visual effect: Plasma changes color (orange?), tracers change color (probably red). Splaser... Blue?

Wonder what kind of effect this would have on certain power weapons... would the UNSC rockets now have some sort plasma payload?

Fracas

#fuckonami
Anyone that's looking at jumping in on XBO/PS4 and happens to have shit internet and/or capped bandwidth should look into any alternative ISP options in their area. Welcome to the digital age boys and girls, you gonna need some bandwidth, and it's not about to get lighter as time goes on.

aka RIP Kentucky the post

I dunno, google searches have told me AT&T stopped enforcing their bandwidth cap a year ago. I've been downloading Steam games like mad and nothing's happened yet

Woorloog

Banned
The carbine rounds themselves are already radioactive and kill people by poisoning them. But that's not in the games.

I know. Which is why "toxic rounds", so laced with the stuff they start doing damage right away.
At least that would have been my rationale, as Wahrer pointed out, weapon-specific power up effects are not necessarily a good idea.

Mistel

Banned
I know. Which is why "toxic rounds", so laced with the stuff they start doing damage right away.
At least that would have been my rationale, as Wahrer pointed out, weapon-specific power up effects are not necessarily a good idea.
Yeah they really aren't imagine the fuel rod gun if that had the radiation as well.

jem0208

So people voted for Infinity Slayer Haven, over Legendary Slayer BRs on Haven.

What are you doing people.

That was quite possibly the worst game I've played in a very long time.

There's not much you can do when every other player in your team goes less than -10 though...

willow ve

So people voted for Infinity Slayer Haven, over Legendary Slayer BRs on Haven.

What are you doing people.
People still vote Infinity CTF on Complex and then go active camo camp top mid with their DMR. I have zero hope left for the general community still playing Halo 4. It scares me to think their voting data could be influencing future development.

Mix

I should be home around 6pm est.

I go in at 5 CST for about an hour or so to help with a couple of quick things, but after that I'm home free. I'd expect it to take about an hour or so for me to get there and get done. I'll be on around 6:45 or 7 CST, that's like 8 eastern I think.

I can imagine how tedious 4 would be do on LASO. I can see why reach would be more enjoyable of the pair to do. At least your are better hopefully.

Auto aim removal is eyepatch. Malfunction disables a random part of your hud.
Reaches campaign is underrated. It's a perfect homage to the trilogy. Pacing, encounters and enemy ai is some of halos best.

Yeah all better now thankfully, had to stop drinking hennessy however, fair trade off for good health imo haha.

jem0208

People still vote Infinity CTF on Complex and then go active camo camp top mid with their DMR. I have zero hope left for the general community still playing Halo 4. It scares me to think their voting data could be influencing future development.

Yup, their opinions are bad and they should feel bad :mad:

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics

Do what Yuhas said and get PvZ Garden Warfare. Such a fun and silly shooter with tons of free content. It's also on sale right now.

Oh and that little thing on November 11. 😅

Top Bottom