• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hamas terrorists infiltrated Israel. 1400+ killed, 2400+ wounded, 240+ abducted. Israel declares war

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyberpunkd

No, that's not accurate. It's student organizations at Harvard, comprised of Harvard students, who signed the statement.
Well, yes, but you cannot expect everyone at Harvard to be smart and bright, it’s normal distribution at work even if the mean is higher than the general population.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins

Two Israeli tourists and their Egyptian guide have been shot dead in the Egyptian city of Alexandria, the Israeli foreign ministry says.
Another Israeli was wounded in the attack on Sunday morning, which the ministry said a "local" carried out.
There was no immediate confirmation from Egyptian authorities.
But the private Extra News TV channel reported that a policeman had opened fire on a group visiting an ancient Roman site known as Pompey's Pillar.
The assailant fired "at random" using his personal weapon, it cited a security source as saying, adding that he was detained at the scene.

"The Israeli foreign ministry said it was working with Egyptian authorities in order to return the Israeli citizens to Israel as soon as possible"

Wise move. Egypt clearly isn't safe for Israelis right now.

Bojji

There is a unilateral open hostility toward Israel on campus as the day-to-day norm, so it's more likely that they would be handed treats and free drinks like at the celebrations in London and Berlin, tbh.

I thought we were past anti semitism in western world but here we are.

Problem is they don't even want any form of peace, peace negotiations require both sides to make some compromises but when hamas (and many other people) only want Jews to be killed or kicked out of Israel then what's is even the point in talking to them? Force seems like only solution available.

Apocryphon

My alma mater at it again. Dozens of student orgs co-sign their support for Palestine in response to the terrorists attacks by Hamas.

I’m British but live in Canada and work at a large educational institution. Many of our 2 year diploma programs are ~90% international enrolments with the majority made up of Indian, Pakistani, and Lebanese immigrants. A 2 year diploma nets you a 3 year work visa, which effectively guarantees permanent residency and a path to citizenship. The schools are for it because international students pay 4x the domestic fees, but the campus culture has changed dramatically in the last 10 years and we’re seeing a lot of campus groups supporting sectarian violence.

5 or 6 years ago we had 20 something students leave to join ISIS. Some of them appeared in a video burning their passports and taking about how when they were done with their war in Syria they would be returning to make a Canada burn. At least one of them had been watching beheading videos on campus computers and showing them to other students.

Educational institutions are predominantly run by liberal ideologists that are far too soft and far too blind to the what is unfolding right in front of them, and the Canadians in particular seem to be incredibly naive. I’m not against immigration at all… I AM an immigrant… but some cultures are simply incompatible. All you need to do is look at the UK. I came to Canada when things were particularly bad in England, but now I’m seeing the hallmarks of a looming storm that the Canadians aren’t ready for.

RedC

I thought we were past anti semitism in western world but here we are.

Problem is they don't even want any form of peace, peace negotiations require both sides to make some compromises but when hamas (and many other people) only want Jews to be killed or kicked out of Israel then what's is even the point in talking to them? Force seems like only solution available.
There will always be an undercurrent of antisemitism, however, I do not think that's what drives people to be against Israel on college campuses in the West. It's the simplified binary lens of viewing Israel as the oppressor and Palestine as the oppressed that gets these people to empathize more with Palestine when the reality is so complicated and complex that I don't know if there can ever be a peaceful resolution.

Last edited:

RedC

I’m British but live in Canada and work at a large educational institution. Many of our 2 year diploma programs are ~90% international enrolments with the majority made up of Indian, Pakistani, and Lebanese immigrants. A 2 year diploma nets you a 3 year work visa, which effectively guarantees permanent residency and a path to citizenship. The schools are for it because international students pay 4x the domestic fees, but the campus culture has changed dramatically in the last 10 years and we’re seeing a lot of campus groups supporting sectarian violence.

5 or 6 years ago we had 20 something students leave to join ISIS. Some of them appeared in a video burning their passports and taking about how when they were done with their war in Syria they would be returning to make a Canada burn. At least one of them had been watching beheading videos on campus computers and showing them to other students.

Educational institutions are predominantly run by liberal ideologists that are far too soft and far too blind to the what is unfolding right in front of them, and the Canadians in particular seem to be incredibly naive. I’m not against immigration at all… I AM an immigrant… but some cultures are simply incompatible. All you need to do is look at the UK. I came to Canada when things were particularly bad in England, but now I’m seeing the hallmarks of a looming storm that the Canadians aren’t ready for.
As they say, "If You Are Not a Liberal When You Are Young, You Have No Heart, and If You Are Not a Conservative When Old, You Have No Brain"

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Let's see if he has that same energy once they actually get there.
9Viuke0.jpg

"It doesn't seem so big..."

RedC

They don’t think the US will get directly involved militarily. I feel like they should, but with Biden as the incumbent and the election ramping up, I’m not convinced we’ll see US led strikes.
It's likely dependent on how positive or negative they determine it will be in increasing or decreasing the odds of being reelected.

You can also acknowledge the atrocities done by Palestinians, this isn't the first time they came out to kill people. Look at bus bombings, Munic Olympics, Entebbe.

They are "cave people" because they choose to be.

And Israel is not meant to be a country, it is a country. US will help shut down criticism for what's to come.

Yes for sure - Hamas is not the answer. And Palestinian people will never get worldwide support if that’s their flagship organization. However, Palestinian people are also living in a state of terror everyday, with a more dominant power in Israel at their doorstep (at least that’s how they see it). No one in the world with actual power is helping them - terrorized Palestinians hardly get news coverage and will never get a hot thread on here either. The only one that’s taking action for the Palestians is Hamas (as they communicate, not saying there aren’t deeper alterior motives) so the Palestinian people are of course gravitating towards them. If the U.S. took a stand for them, perhaps they would show a change of heart.

Idk it’s a difficult problem. But, yeah Israel is not a good actor here. With the tech they have, world class intelligence systems, I mean I would also call out the people sitting in those rooms as well that could’ve prevented this from happening.

near

Gold Member
They don’t think the US will get directly involved militarily. I feel like they should, but with Biden as the incumbent and the election ramping up, I’m not convinced we’ll see US led strikes.
I don't think they should get involved, this should be de-escalated but with the US getting involved it would only increase tensions and there are many players involved in this war. My only concern here is that with US hostages now confirmed, the US military will be forced to get involved directly.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
The US doesn't have to act directly for this to work in Israel's favor. The strike group being so close by is a signal to the region that no one else is to get involved in any way. It shuts down any hope of Hamas getting aid from foreign allies while also providing Israel with better surveillance of the region.

It's basically guaranteed that Israel has free reign to do whatever it wants with this conflict without fear of foreign escalation.

RAÏSanÏa

Canada is a magnet for shitstains these days.
There's been a huge uptick in flag waving religious nationalists of various types appearing in the country over the last few years. At least in this case hopefully Canada takes in the absolute minimum of refugees adding as many hurdles and delays as possible. More of this behavior in Canada will endanger Canadians as it escalates.

The religious nationalist immigrant participation in the anti-Sogi protests has been noted and had a dampening effect on some immigration support. The rising dangers of incompatible impossing religious orthodox mindsets at odds with established religious-free advancing Canadian culture seem to be getting through.

Sleepwalker

I am also an immigrant living in Canada and I can agree with your assesment, Canada is going down the drain, fast. Already saw an instagram post urging people to head over to the local park with palestinian flags to make noise and show support.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
There's been a huge uptick in flag waving religious nationalists of various types appearing in the country over the last few years. At least in this case hopefully Canada takes in the absolute minimum of refugees adding as many hurdles and delays as possible. More of this behavior in Canada will endanger Canadians as it escalates.

The religious nationalist immigrant participation in the anti-Sogi protests has been noted and had a dampening effect on some immigration support. The rising dangers of incompatible impossing religious orthodox mindsets at odds with established religious-free advancing Canadian culture seem to be getting through.

But these are just innocent civilians here under almost guaranteed legal means just supporting their ideals and culture. They don't have anything to do with hatred or violence, they just want to appreciate where they came from! If people are up in arms over this, what's next? Condemning the Confederate Fl-

Oh.

Apocryphon

I don't think they should get involved, this should be de-escalated but with the US getting involved it would only increase tensions and there are many players involved in this war. My only concern here is that with US hostages now confirmed, the US military will be forced to get involved directly.
The chance of de-escalation following ~600 Israeli civilians dead, thousands hospitalized, the kidnap and torture of more than 100 people including many woman and children, and beheadings is 0.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח

What people fail to understand that if Israel falls, they are next. Israel is the last line of defense against terror, and the world has already invited these people in, and they managed to pollute minds of people (so far as some of the LGBTQ+ support them which is insane).

Faust

Perpetually Tired

What people fail to understand that if Israel falls, they are next. Israel is the last line of defense against terror, and the world has already invited these people in, and they managed to pollute minds of people (so far as some of the LGBTQ+ support them which is insane).

Despicable. There is no excuse for the wanton slaughtering of innocents, torturing of children, and rape. This isn't war, this is just despicable.

Last edited:

near

Gold Member
The chance of de-escalation following ~600 Israeli civilians dead, thousands hospitalized, the kidnap and torture of more than 100 people including many woman and children, and beheadings is 0.
These numbers will rise, we don't even have figures for the number of casualties on the Gaza side either, they've been bombed to no end overnight. There has to be a point where discussions are held to de-escalate, it's concerning because if this continues with no exit plan, it will inevitably involve other nations, and not all will support Israel.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
Yes for sure - Hamas is not the answer. And Palestinian people will never get worldwide support if that’s their flagship organization. However, Palestinian people are also living in a state of terror everyday, with a more dominant power in Israel at their doorstep (at least that’s how they see it). No one in the world with actual power is helping them - terrorized Palestinians hardly get news coverage and will never get a hot thread on here either. The only one that’s taking action for the Palestians is Hamas (as they communicate, not saying there aren’t deeper alterior motives) so the Palestinian people are of course gravitating towards them. If the U.S. took a stand for them, perhaps they would show a change of heart.

Idk it’s a difficult problem. But, yeah Israel is not a good actor here. With the tech they have, world class intelligence systems, I mean I would also call out the people sitting in those rooms as well that could’ve prevented this from happening.
it's a catch 22. Because you say Israel is not a good actor, but what's the alternative? Israel tried many times to broker a peace deal, when all Palestinians have to give is quiet, they don't own anything. They also don't live in terror like you imagine, their poverty is all their leaders doing, and they can go in and out thru Egypt or Jordan. They also elected Hamas instead of the PLO in Gaza, and in the West Bank they are not doing any elections because of fear the West Bank will also take Hamas as their leader.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Hamas is about to learn that when you mess with the bull, you get the horns.
The US Air Force could do some damage. I bet they’re waiting to release that fire power until it’s absolutely necessary. They’d kill all the hostages if we went that route. A guy I work with was in the Air Force. They won’t just hit a couple things, they’ll rain down fire from the sky. I don’t think people understand how bad we could mess up Hamas.

jason10mm

Gold Member

Watch out, US military, the paragliding savages are on their way to intercept the USS Gerald Ford.

NGL, an "Under Seige" type film where a bunch of bad guys parachute on to an aircraft carrier to take it over would be pretty dope.

Well, until the Marines sobered up and took back the ship anyway :p

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler

If it's any consolation, stinking up public air and creating noise pollution with their Vanilla Ice flow chants is about all their influence is going to cover.

What's being protested? For whom are these people cheering? What idea is supposed to be conveyed? It's Liberal key jangling with no purpose or cause beyond getting your hivemind to buzz around you like the most obnoxious bug light you could find.

This doesn't grant them any capability or success beyond the average asshole aside from the glistening scarlet letter they get stitched into their skin warning anyone to the right of "murdering is fun!" levels of sanity to stay clear the fuck away.

badblue

Gold Member

Canada currently has immigrants and refuges living on the streets due to housing issues. It would be unwise for us to bring more people here at this point.

Sigh. So many people dying over fucking religion, now stoked by the cunt in Moscow.

The conflict has nothing to do with religion, despite being painted as such.
This recent attack is way too precise and sophisticated to be the work of Hamas alone. Iran is striking, through Hamas, to block the anticipated normalization of Israel and Saudi Arabia's relations...And they might have torpedoed the project already...

FunkMiller

Gold Member

Watch out, US military, the paragliding savages are on their way to intercept the USS Gerald Ford.

The screaming doom mongering going on about how ‘on a knife’s edge’ the world is right now is hilarious.

If America wants to, it can stop everything in a long weekend.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
The conflict has nothing to do with religion, despite being painted as such.
This recent attack is way too precise and sophisticated to be the work of Hamas alone. Iran is striking, through Hamas, to block the anticipated normalization of Israel and Saudi Arabia's relations...And they might have torpedoed the project already...

Good grief.

This attack is engineered by Russia and Iran to incite RELIGIOUS NUTCASES to enflame the Middle East.

None of this happens without religious belief. On both sides. It’s a fucking dry bit of rock perched on the ocean with zero strategic significance. It’s all about religion.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member

Here in Portugal, the anti Israel speech comes from 2 communist parties (PCP and BE), that have a small percentage of votes. But they have a strong following in some universities.
Especially the PCP, Partido Comunista Português, was sponsored by the USSR, for many years. And it probably still is today, considering their support for Russia, in the Ukrainian invasion.
Both these parties are extreme left in their ideology. The Parliamentary system in Portugal has representation from several parties, this means that they also have a handful of seats.
This has the advantage of our democratic system to be able to compartmentalize and identify, which party is pushing for what.
The USA has the problem of having only 2 parties with representation. And this means that the far left has to go into the Democratic party, and the far right has to go into the Republican party, to get heard.
This means a greater polarization of the political system in the USA. And because they are the most vocal, it seems like these two extreme minorities rule either party.

Curiously, the Portuguese Communist Party was doing terrorist attacks, during the 70's.
It's quite remarkable and unfortunate, that Portugal has banned Nazi parties. But never banned communist parties.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom