• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hamas terrorists infiltrated Israel. 1400+ killed, 2400+ wounded, 240+ abducted. Israel declares war

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr.D00p

So basically "sorry, we can't control them anymore". Basically they have admitted their defeat. Shame what it has become of UK.

Err, this is the London Met Police, they are not the UK. Anymore than the NYPD, are America's Police.

At the end of the day, London is a city of over 9 million people and these marches represent only a tiny percentage of that, even less so when you account for the fact that many of them have come from places outside of London.

So people need to take a couple of deep breaths and stop the hyperbolic bullshit they're spouting.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member

Soviet flags among the protests in DC, hammer and sickle paired with “intifada victory” and chants of “there is only one solution”

Cyberpunkd

London Met police advisor on Palestine led the “from the river to the sea” chant at the London pro-Palestine rally

He claims a conspiracy of “global censorship by the Zionists to silence us”

Man, UK has really gone down the shitter since the British Empire.

Wildebeest

London Met police advisor on Palestine led the “from the river to the sea” chant at the London pro-Palestine rally

He claims a conspiracy of “global censorship by the Zionists to silence us”

A lot of violent protests in the UK are led by undercover police. It's a national quirk.

tommib

Obama was dropping bombs on the middle east few times an hour, every hour for 8 years straight and now he’s concerned with the lives of the innocent?
We didn’t see the world asking for a ceasefire when Obama was dismantling ISIS - as he should - after a couple of US journalists were beheaded on camera.

But when Israel does it all the rats come out the holes to ask for a ceasefire. If it sounds like anti-semitism it is anti-semitism. It’s obvious and I feel disgusted.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Err, this is the London Met Police, they are not the UK. Anymore than the NYPD, are America's Police.

At the end of the day, London is a city of over 9 million people and these marches represent only a tiny percentage of that, even less so when you account for the fact that many of them have come from places outside of London.

So people need to take a couple of deep breaths and stop the hyperbolic bullshit they're spouting.

Exactly. People are getting their panties in a bunch way too much about a few thousand nobheads protesting in central London. It’s a pretty common occurrence.

Brucey

They should ban these protests from the get go like France did. These are not pro-Palestine, they are pro-Intifada.
I guess in Israel you can be arrested for speaking out and daring to question the authorities, even for the slightest departure from the governments view. In most countries there's at least a semblance of free speech. So I don't think you are going to get total police control like you are wishing for elsewhere.

"The officer checked Abu Sneineh’s phone for TikTok or Facebook – she doesn’t have either — then checked her Snapchat account, the only social media she uses.

“[The officer] noticed that I hadn’t posted anything. Then she went to my WhatsApp… I had posted a verse from the Quran, and that turned out to be what they were after. They said I was inciting terrorism. I couldn’t believe it,” Abu Sneineh said.

The verse in question, Abu Sneineh said, was: “God is not unaware of what the oppressors do.”

FunkMiller

Not sure what you mean. Is that daytime in the video?

Early evening. Probably like 6pm. Our clocks have gone back so it gets dark super early here now. It’s hell 😩

The dispersal order pretty much did its job yesterday after that. They all fucked off in dribs and drabs, with a load of the more hardcore ones hanging around Pall Mall area being cunts until later.

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Early evening. Probably like 6pm. Our clocks have gone back so it gets dark super early here now. It’s hell 😩

The dispersal order pretty much did its job yesterday. They all fucked off in dribs and drabs, with a load of the more hardcore ones hanging around Pall Mall area being cunts until later.
Do Brits consider early evening vs late evening to be based on the clock and not…how dark it is?

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Once the sun fully sets, it's dark. It doesn't really get darker after that. I'm not even sure what you mean.
Funk said that Ngo was lying about it being late evening at the time of that video in which it was clearly late evening outside, so attempted to figure out what he meant. Think we understand each other now!

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Funk said that Ngo was lying about it being late evening at the time of that video in which it was clearly late evening outside, so attempted to figure out what he meant.

I find this fascinating. You don't have the concept of early evening vs. late evening in US? No way, man. That's mad. I'm always fascinated by these kind of differences.

FunkMiller

London is a clown show. Don't know how anybody can still be in denial.

Because some of us live here, and don’t just go off Twitter posts.

Not to dilute the sheer nastiness and bigotry on display by those at the anti-Israel protests, but none of it is anything more than commonplace in this city.

They‘re noisy scum, but none of it indicates any real issues with British society or London. It is, as ever, a minority whose disgusting opinions are amplified beyond all measure by social media.

Last edited:

superfly

Not to dilute the sheer nastiness and bigotry on display by those at the anti-Israel protests, but none of it is anything more than commonplace in this city.

They‘re noisy scum, but none of it indicates any real issues with British society or London. It is, as ever, a minority whose disgusting opinions are amplified beyond all measure by social media.
For sure social media amplifies things and by in large London/uk continues at will. However there has been a knock on effect on Jewish communities in London. Ppl are afraid to go to shops, to engage eye contact with others on public transport. It's not normal.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
I'm still trying to figure out the demarcation between afternoon and evening.

In Europe it differs from country to country. Where I live we consider afternoon from 12:00 to 18:00. Evening starts from 18:00 (or 6pm).

We didn’t see the world asking for a ceasefire when Obama was dismantling ISIS - as he should - after a couple of US journalists were beheaded on camera.

But when Israel does it all the rats come out the holes to ask for a ceasefire. If it sounds like anti-semitism it is anti-semitism. It’s obvious and I feel disgusted.

I wonder if social media existed in 1940s if people would be asking for ceasefire right before the Battle of Berlin. Just look up how many civilians died in like 2 or 3 weeks of that offensive.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I find this fascinating. You don't have the concept of early evening vs. late evening in US? No way, man. That's mad. I'm always fascinated by these kind of differences.
Poking around a bit it looks like the UK uses early evening to designate the hours immediately post-work, 5pm-7pm, and late evening is for approximately 7pm-9pm.

In the US I’ve never seen this kind of usage and we typically use evening to describe light levels from the position of the sun in the sky, which changes based on the season and sunset time.

DrKeo

I guess in Israel you can be arrested for speaking out and daring to question the authorities, even for the slightest departure from the governments view. In most countries there's at least a semblance of free speech. So I don't think you are going to get total police control like you are wishing for elsewhere.

"The officer checked Abu Sneineh’s phone for TikTok or Facebook – she doesn’t have either — then checked her Snapchat account, the only social media she uses.

“[The officer] noticed that I hadn’t posted anything. Then she went to my WhatsApp… I had posted a verse from the Quran, and that turned out to be what they were after. They said I was inciting terrorism. I couldn’t believe it,” Abu Sneineh said.

The verse in question, Abu Sneineh said, was: “God is not unaware of what the oppressors do.”
There have been some arrests, but all of them have been of people publicly supporting 7/10.

DrKeo

For three weeks outlets have been reporting that Al Shifa Hospital will run out of fuel in a few hours. Yesterday they screened videos of Hamas murdering people in the hospital's parking lot, while the civilians cheered. Great use of electricity, magic electricity that keeps on giving even though it ran out weeks ago.

Last edited:

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey

I hope you are right and it's just a vocal minority. It's disappointing to see these things in the modern era. I am honestly unsure about the state of the west in about 20 years from now.

FunkMiller

Met responds

Translation:

"Our Muslim community is far, far larger than our Jewish one. If we come down harder on pro-Palestinian people it will enflame the situation, and will lead to more violence. So we'd prefer to be seen as anti-Jew, if it means we don't have to spend millions of man hours calming down the more extremist members of our community".

That is unfortunately the way they think, and the way things are.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
Translation:

"Our Muslim community is far, far larger than our Jewish one. If we come down harder on pro-Palestinian people it will enflame the situation, and will lead to more violence. So we'd prefer to be seen as anti-Jew, if it means we don't have to spend millions of man hours calming down the more extremist members of our community".

That is unfortunately the way they think, and the way things are.
Thanks for translating this from British.

No way are Islamist terrorist sympathisers suddenly going to be accepted as a ruling party the in the UK because of some "putsche". Let's keep our heads.
Not immediately, but even in USA government you already have a couple of Hamas sympathisers (hell some of the groups threatened the election claiming that they won't vote for dems for their pro-Israel stance). But in time, something like this will happen for sure. Have the mayor of London denounced the Hamas?

He's the only Western leader who hasn't come for a solidarity visit.
Trudeau is in a very peculiar situation right now. But oh well.

There is literally no comparison to be had between the rise of the Nazi party in post-war Germany, and the current situation regarding Islamic extremism.
Well, so far they have all the same attributes. Just not enough political clout, but we have seen with met police - they already don't want to touch pro-palestinian groups as they are afraid to inflame the situation. And those groups are not becoming smaller and they will only grow in time. Sure, the UK economy is not in that bad state to give the rise to Nazi-like party, but all the signs of the same situation are already there. If something behaves like a duck, it might be a duck...

I am personally not in favor of downplaying the groups, openly chanting "gas the jews", "clean the world from the jews", "from the river to the sea", leaving stars of david on the doors and etc. It will just embolden those groups even more.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Well, so far they have all the same attributes. Just not enough political clout, but we have seen with met police - they already don't want to touch pro-palestinian groups as they are afraid to inflame the situation. And those groups are not becoming smaller and they will only grow in time. Sure, the UK economy is not in that bad state to give the rise to Nazi-like party, but all the signs of the same situation are already there. If something behaves like a duck, it might be a duck...

I am personally not in favor of downplaying the groups, openly chanting "gas the jews", "clean the world from the jews", "from the river to the sea", leaving stars of david on the doors and etc. It will just embolden those groups even more.

Sorry, but this can only come from a lack of understanding about who and what the Nazi party were post WW1 and in the run up to their taking of power democratically in 1933.

Also, your comment that 'they will only grow in time' is ridiculous, when you look at the fact the Muslim population of the UK has only grown 1.6% in ten years.

There's nothing wrong in making comparisons between the pro-Palestinians and the Nazis in terms of their anti-semitic rhetoric, but to make any other comparisons between the two, in terms of their levels of power and influence in their respective countries, is incredibly ignorant of both history and present day Britain.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

That country is looking insane to me. From abroad it seems like the police will investigate people who promote biology, but give a contract to those supporting the same beliefs the Nazis had. 🥜

Someone from America look at another country's portrayal on social media and calling it insane... really is quite something. People in glass houses, and all that...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom