• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hamas terrorists infiltrated Israel. 1400+ killed, 2400+ wounded, 240+ abducted. Israel declares war

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meicyn

Gold Member

go away goodbye GIF

This shit is infuriating to watch. The interviewer does a disingenuous “all because you tore down a poster” which attempts to dilute the action into its most innocuous form. She knew what she was doing, and as the saying goes, fuck around and find out.

I don’t feel sorry for her. Tearing down posters of missing persons is itself a morally bankrupt act. Singling out Jewish missing persons taken hostage makes it abundantly clear who she is to the core: an unmitigated, antisemitic piece of shit.

cormack12

Gold Member

Oh my god. I did something in public and it was shared publicly, and now there are consequences to being a human piece of shit.

The incredulity they are able to summon is hilarious, as well as the reductionism by the interviewer.

So you've been given a restraining order for just raising your voice at someone? Guy is an asshole.

Good on the US for the veto as well, wish the UK would have done the same.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Palestine is a country. They are supporting the country.
What kind of country proudly commits mass rape, beheading and burning civilians alive while simultaneously refusing to protect its own citizens?
What country digs up water pipes meant to provide basic needs for its population and uses them to build rockets?
What other country has primary school children reenact acts of terrorism for their school plays?
What other country publicly lynches civilians suspected of cooperating with an enemy state?
What other country gets its main water, fuel and electricity supplies from the very state it regularly attacks and calls to destroy?
What other country openly and publicly claims the safety of its civilians is not its responsibility but continues to accept billions of dollars in international aid every year?

Some of those only apply to the worst regimes in existence today, while some, I believe, are entirely unique to Palestine in their extremism.

MrA

Palestine is a country. They are supporting the country.
No, they refused that option like 6 times in the past 75 years, willing to condemn the 5000 rocket attacks Hamas has made in the past 15 years?
How about you support the Karen in Myanmar, they're currently being bombed by an actual occupying government, but I guess if communists murdering people, it's totes cool and if it Jews trying to be genocided it's a problem. or better yet, since you think they are a country, can you admit Palestinians committed the October 7th massacre , not Hamas

What kind of country proudly commits mass rape, beheading and burning civilians alive while simultaneously refusing to protect its own citizens?
What country digs up water pipes meant to provide basic needs for its population and uses them to build rockets?
What other country has primary school children reenact acts of terrorism for their school plays?
What other country publicly lynches civilians suspected of cooperating with an enemy state?
What other country gets its main water, fuel and electricity supplies from the very state it regularly attacks and calls to destroy?
What other country openly and publicly claims the safety of its civilians is not its responsibility but continues to accept billions of dollars in international aid every year?

Some of those only apply to the worst regimes in existence today, while some, I believe, are entirely unique to Palestine in their extremism.
or puts people to death for selling land, or burns down (literally) multimillion-dollar industries because they were given it by Jews, I guess, or launch attacks weekly and have the group they're attack not retaliate because they protect themselves,

Everyone has known for years that universities in the west are a breeding ground for extremism. No one has done anything until this point, even turfing out these three evil old hags won’t do anything without serious legislation changes and serious punishment for teachers that veer off the curriculum to push their hateful ideology.
This modern secular religion needs to be treated like any other religion, which means that it isn't taught in schools. The entire idea of not teaching religion in schools comes down to it being reprehensible to teach children that the deeply held moral values and personal beliefs of their parents are wrong, and that's exactly what's happening in schools today.

If schools want to teach a universally applied value that racism and sexism and discrimination are wrong, I'm all for that. If they want to teach a very subjective and specific and narrow view of racism and sexism as objective truth, and teach that all who disagree with aspects of that morality-based worldview are wrong and ultimately bad people, then I would say that's far too close to a religion to have anything to do with publicly funded education.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
And that's why I am saying that it is important for Israel to finish off Hamas. All the media will do 180 immediately because Israel will be a winner and they will be a crackdown on everybody who positively reported on Hamas.
When Israel wins (and they will), this should be grounds to call for resignation top-down of every head of these news agencies in the West. They're not just going to get away with an about-face and 'yay, Israel' when this is finished. We all know they've supported (some were part of) the terrorists who started this. Positive reports and terminations following televised apologies.

Who interviewed this pig? She's trying to gain sympathy points and look at what she's wearing. She proudly wears her keffiyeh for palestine (which is the new swastika) while playing the victim. She also sounded offended that people said, "send her to Gaza." Well, that's what she wants is it not? Send her there and let IDF finish these nazis in the West off once and for all too. In my book, anyone supporting terrorism is a terrorist too and doesn't have rights. Rights are reserved for humans only.
UN is doing all it can so save terrorists who kidnapped and beheaded babies.

IDF really needs to raid that UN building in Southern Gaza. I mean, gear up big time (hundreds of cameras) and show all the West how many Hamas terrorists are hiding out there. Not hiding like 'I need protection' but with titles, roles and fully employed by UN.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
You can’t say anything about a bomb or say a death threat without getting into some major trouble. Talking about killing people is when they pull the “context” card? It’s crazy.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח

The lesson plans included sympathy for Hamas, saying the teachers were not taking a position on the terrorist group.

“Hamas is complicated; it was started in part by the state of Israel, and there has been no election since Hamas was voted in in 2006," according to the document.

An estimated 75 to 100 K-12 teachers involved in the sit-in told ABC News they felt previous classroom materials were too one-sided, leaning too pro-Israel.

“It did not include the Palestinian struggle for freedom and liberation," one teacher told the outlet.

Another said the district-sponsored curriculum was "presented in a very, very one-sided pro-Israeli way."

Their actual problem is that the historical facts are pro-Israel. It does include the Palestinian "struggle" for freedom and liberation, that struggle was violent and was met with loss after loss of territory and chances for peace.

They should all be fired, or as they like to say, educate themselves.

cormack12

Gold Member

Their actual problem is that the historical facts are pro-Israel. It does include the Palestinian "struggle" for freedom and liberation, that struggle was violent and was met with loss after loss of territory and chances for peace.

They should all be fired, or as they like to say, educate themselves.
They don't want to teach, they want to influence. You can't take something like this from an arbitrary point of time because it needs the entire history being understood.

FunkMiller

This modern secular religion needs to be treated like any other religion, which means that it isn't taught in schools. The entire idea of not teaching religion in schools comes down to it being reprehensible to teach children that the deeply held moral values and personal beliefs of their parents are wrong, and that's exactly what's happening in schools today.

Ah yes… it’s the secularists that are the problem… in this conflict that’s entirely about religion, with atrocities being conducted by religious extremists, over a piece of rock that’s important because of religion.

Holy fuck.

Personal beliefs are what led to babies being beheaded.

Seriously, it’s fine to defend your religious beliefs, but this really isn’t the thread to be doing it.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member

If schools want to teach a universally applied value that racism and sexism and discrimination are wrong, I'm all for that. If they want to teach a very subjective and specific and narrow view of racism and sexism as objective truth, and teach that all who disagree with aspects of that morality-based worldview are wrong and ultimately bad people, then I would say that's far too close to a religion to have anything to do with publicly funded education.

Secularism is the exact opposite of what you said.
Secularism is the view that religious considerations should be excluded from civil affairs or public education. It's the separation of State and Church.

But you are right on the second part, as there are several people trying to replace religion with their politics in education.
There also has to be a separation of civil affairs or public education from politics and ideology. Otherwise, we get into an authoritarian regime, where the politics are dictated from the top to the people.

The State should never be allowed to dictate religion or politics, in a free and open society.

FunkMiller

Secularism is the view that religious considerations should be excluded from civil affairs or public education. It's the separation of State and Church.

But you are right on the second part, as there are several people trying to replace religion with their politics in education.
There also has to be a separation of civil affairs or public education from politics and ideology. Otherwise, we get into an authoritarian regime, where the politics are dictated from the top to the people.

The State should never be allowed to dictate religion or politics, in a free and open society.

The big old elephant in the room in all of this is that US government could tighten restrictions on the spread of Islam in America, to stamp down on some of this stuff - but to do so, it would also have to impose more restrictions on Christianity, given the laws of the land.

Don't see that happening any time soon.

winjer

Gold Member
The big old elephant in the room in all of this is that US government could tighten restrictions on the spread of Islam in America, to stamp down on some of this stuff - but to do so, it would also have to impose more restrictions on Christianity, given the laws of the land.

Don't see that happening any time soon.

It's not about stamping out a religion. It's about stamping out openly criminal speech.
One thing that people don't understand, is that free speech DOES NOT protect acts of violence or the encouragement to commit acts of violence.

In a free society, people can have their religion and politics, as they wish. But the line is crossed if anyone starts demanding or apologizing for violence against other people or a group of people.
There is no problem in people being Muslims. There is a huge problem if some people demand the genocide of Israel and it's people.

winjer

Gold Member
No, but they do like to say what they like by hiding by behind their rights of 'religious freedom of expression' so...

Season 5 Idk GIF by Paramount+

This is, of course, not something confined to Islam.

There is the big problem with the Muslim community around the world, where a large part does support extremist views. Around a quarter of all Muslims around the world.
With nearly 1.7 Billion Muslims around the world, this means more than 400 millions Islamist extremists. That is way more than the total population of many countries.
And the worst part, is that the moderate Muslims are very comfortable in just sitting back and let the extremists do and say whatever they want.

As much as I hate to disagree with someone who mostly agrees with me, the word secular just means not related to religion or faith. When I say "secular religion" I'm mainly referring to secular moral values that are viewed as gospel and treated as such. If secularism refers to what you mentioned above, I'm not talking about that.

Ah yes… it’s the secularists that are the problem… in this conflict that’s entirely about religion, with atrocities being conducted by religious extremists, over a piece of rock that’s important because of religion.

Holy fuck.

Personal beliefs are what led to babies being beheaded.

Seriously, it’s fine to defend your religious beliefs, but this really isn’t the thread to be doing it.

I'm not defending my religious beliefs in this thread. I'm not even mentioning my religious beliefs. I'm saying subjective matters of morality SHOULD NOT be taught in schools. Seriously, read what I wrote again, because I agree it's a good thing that religion isn't taught in schools. I'm saying subjective modern moral values are being taught as if they were gospel, and that's not good either.

FunkMiller

I'm not defending my religious beliefs in this thread. I'm not even mentioning my religious beliefs. I'm saying subjective matters of morality SHOULD NOT be taught in schools. Seriously, read what I wrote again, because I agree it's a good thing that religion isn't taught in schools. I'm saying subjective modern moral values are being taught as if they were gospel, and that's not good either.

Fair enough. Got a bit confused with your line of thought. I think the issue is there's no such thing as a 'secular religion' as you phrase it. You can't teach something in schools that doesn't exist. Do you mean a particular political philosophy? Only being secular just means not being connected with religion or spiritual matters. So, absolutely everything that's taught in schools that isn't specifically about religion, is by definition secular.

Secularism in schools is an extremely good thing, all round. The more secular an educational system is, the more secular a society is. The more secular a society is the more free thinking, tolerant and happy it is.

Don't confuse all this stupidity over Israel with a problem with a secular schooling system. This issue is steeped in undergraduate student politics and far left-wingism. Secularism runs the whole gamut of political positions.

There is the big problem with the Muslim community around the world, where a large part does support extremist views. Around a quarter of all Muslims around the world.
With nearly 1.7 Billion Muslims around the world, this means more than 400 millions Islamist extremists. That is way more than the total population of many countries.
And the worst part, is that the moderate Muslims are very comfortable in just sitting back and let the extremists do and say whatever they want.
Islam in general lacks self reflection and is very dogmatic, because it did not go through Reformation like Christiniaty. One of the observation people have is that a lot of muslims are quite devout, without being an extremists. In Christianity you are usually either devout (a-la "bible belts") or secular. You kinda don't have that "between".

By and large, I expect the european countries - aside maybe eastern europe - to go through islamization. It is literally the same pattern as the Roman empire went through with Christianity. Originally deemed small and unimportant sect it was gradually growing by converting people into christians due to being open thus anybody could join, while paganism was in decline and I would not be surprised that by the end even common folks hated it because "it was the religion of elite" or "sexual depravity" and "corruption" - same with roman catholic church now.

With Islam it is slightly different as bunch of views in Islam are not compatible with the western views, but muslims compensate that by having a bigger population and growing. Would not be surprised that eventually some european states might bring the state religion again (let's say in 50 years), as Quran does not separate the state and the church and thus folks will be ok with that. We literally have folks being happy to have "Quran of Nature" or whatever it is. In general, the ruling elite might even welcome Islam due to that - imagine being able to influence the common people (like imams do) just by having the higher position of power, without need to go through the political dance that much. And I would not be surprised that somebody will do that to gain votes. Plus, Islam is pretty compatible with some of modern values - like not eating pork (and with the current fight against factories and meat production it fits quite nicely). In general, I think some folks will welcome Islam simply because it allows to shape all parts of the society.

Last edited:

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Fair enough. Got a bit confused with your line of thought. I think the issue is there's no such thing as a 'secular religion' as you phrase it. You can't teach something in schools that doesn't exist. Do you mean a particular political philosophy? Only being secular just means not being connected with religion or spiritual matters. So, absolutely everything that's taught in schools that isn't specifically about religion, is by definition secular.

Secularism in schools is an extremely good thing, all round. The more secular an educational system is, the more secular a society is. The more secular a society is the more free thinking, tolerant and happy it is.

Don't confuse all this stupidity over Israel with a problem with a secular schooling system. This issue is steeped in undergraduate student politics and far left-wingism. Secularism runs the whole gamut of political positions.
The way I understand the post, you can substitute "secular religion" with "dogma" or "dogmatic thinking", which I think we all agree can exist independently from religion, and should be discouraged.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Islam in general lacks self reflection and is very dogmatic, because it did not go through Reformation like Christiniaty.

By and large, I expect the european countries - aside maybe eastern europe - to go through islamization. It is literally the same pattern as the Roman empire went through with Christianity. Originally deemed small and unimportant sect it was gradually growing by converting people into christians due to being open thus anybody could join, while paganism was in decline and I would not be surprised that by the end even common folks hated it because "it was the religion of elite" or "sexual depravity" and "corruption" - same with roman catholic church now.

With Islam it is slightly different as bunch of views in Islam are not compatible with the western views, but muslims compensate that by having a bigger population and growing. Would not be surprised that eventually some european states might bring the state religion again (let's say in 50 years), as Quran does not separate the state and the church and thus folks will be ok with that. We literally have folks being happy to have "Quran of Nature" or whatever it is. In general, the ruling elite might even welcome Islam due to that - imagine being able to influence the common people (like imams do) just by having the higher position of power, without need to go through the political dance that much. And I would not be surprised that somebody will do that to gain votes. Plus, Islam is pretty compatible with some of modern values - like not eating pork (and with the current fight against factories and meat production it fits quite nicely). In general, I think some folks will welcome Islam simply because it allows to shape all parts of the society.
Those are some scary thoughts. Unfortunately I don't disagree with you. It is a plausible scenario unless society undergoes a shift in values. Islamism is compatible with globalization and with other socio-moral movements such as environmentalism and anti-capitalism in general. The problem is that while many of the criticisms they have for today's consumerism and hypocritical application of Christianity are legitimate, they don't actually offer an alternative that guarantees a more free and enlightened society. On the contrary, wherever Islamism has been tried over the past few centuries, it has resulted in despotism, poverty and ignorance. In a sense, it's kind of similar to the situation with socialism/communism: attractive on paper, but in practice destructive and backwards, unless heavily balanced by other values.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
As much as I hate to disagree with someone who mostly agrees with me, the word secular just means not related to religion or faith. When I say "secular religion" I'm mainly referring to secular moral values that are viewed as gospel and treated as such. If secularism refers to what you mentioned above, I'm not talking about that.

But you do understand that secularism refers to the concept that the State cannot impose religion beliefs on it's people. That it must have a neutral stand over all religions.
And that this is a good thing for a free society. Right?

The politics matter is not encompassed, like you said, but I think that it's also something that the State cannot impose on it's citizens.
It's the citizens that choose the politics a country will follow, not the State.

Islamism is compatible with globalization and with other socio-moral movements such as environmentalism and anti-capitalism in general. The problem is that while many of the criticisms they have for today's consumerism and hypocritical application of Christianity are legitimate, they don't actually offer an alternative that guarantees a more free and enlightened society
100%. It is basically Christianity of the Roman Empire, basically even in the same borders.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
100%. It is basically Christianity of the Roman Empire, basically even in the same borders.
I've been reading Bernard Lewis lately to gain a wider perspective on Islam, and a chapter I read last night contains a rather profound observation with regard to the state of Israel: Jews in Israel basically comprise of two groups: those that over the course of millennia have been heavily influenced by Christian thinking and values, and those that over the same period were heavily influenced by Muslim thinking and values.
For Israel to succeed in continuing to build a healthy and cohesive society, a new socioeconomic/moral approach will have to emerge, which successfully balances the strengths and weaknesses of each ideology.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
I've been reading Bernard Lewis lately to gain a wider perspective on Islam, and a chapter I read last night contains a rather profound observation with regard to the state of Israel: Jews in Israel basically comprise of two groups: those that over the course of millennia have been heavily influenced by Christian thinking and values, and those that over the same period were heavily influenced by Muslim thinking and values.
For Israel to succeed in continuing to build a healthy and cohesive society, a new socioeconomic/moral approach will have to emerge, which successfully balances the strengths and weaknesses of each ideology.
Ummm... Since Judaism came before these two. I'd say we influenced them rather than they influenced us. I'm not sure the influence from them in millennia was religious as much as it was cultural.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Ummm... Since Judaism came before these two. I'd say we influenced them rather than they influenced us. I'm not sure the influence from them in millennia was religious as much as it was cultural.
It's difficult to boil down Lewis to a few sentences. Essentially he makes the claim that Judaism exists as a religion with a system of morality and certain cultural elements that are common to Jews, but it doesn't really have its own political and economic world view. And this makes sense because unlike Christianity and Islam, we (Jews) haven't run a country for any extended period of time, let alone a network of countries. So the politics and economics of Israel are so far an amalgamation of those we adopted in our respective countries of exile. I find that rather accurate and profound.

Edit: to clarify, when I say Jews were influenced by Christianity and Islam, I am referring to politics and economics, not to religious practices. The reason I use those terms rather than the broader term "cultural", is because I'm specifically referring to the set of skills necessary to run a country and successfully conduct international relations.

Last edited:

Secular religion is literally an oxymoron. It would mean non-religious religion, which is pretty much what I'm talking about. When secular worldviews based on morality take on all the worst aspects of organized religion. The entire point of school is supposed to be to learn how to think, not what to think. But that just isn't true anymore. Teachers feel it is their duty to make sure everyone believes EVERYTHING they do when it comes to race, gender, sexuality, and intersectionality, and they feel this moral responsibility with every bit of the conviction as a religious preacher.

And no, that has nothing to do with what is happening in Israel and Palestine, but it has everything to do with what is happening at Harvard, MIT, Penn State, and countless other examples.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
It's difficult to boil down Lewis to a few sentences. Essentially he makes the claim that Judaism exists as a religion with a system of morality and certain cultural elements that are common to Jews, but it doesn't really have its own political and economic world view. And this makes sense because unlike Christianity and Islam, we (Jews) haven't run a country for any extended period of time, let alone a network of countries. So the politics and economics of Israel are so far an amalgamation of those we adopted in our respective countries of exile. I find that rather accurate and profound.

Edit: to clarify, when I say Jews were influenced by Christianity and Islam, I am referring to politics and economics, not to religious practices. The reason I use those terms rather than the broader term "cultural", is because I'm specifically referring to the set of skills necessary to run a country and successfully conduct international relations.
Strange, David was our first king and many came after him. So not sure about the not having politics and economic know-how.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Strange, David was our first king and many came after him. So not sure about the not having politics and economic know-how.
The kingdom was shortlived and hasn't existed for millennia. It's not like those skills were recorded or remembered, let alone practiced today. Both Christianity and Islam have been much more influential when it comes to matters of policy in modern times.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

And no, that has nothing to do with what is happening in Israel and Palestine, but it has everything to do with what is happening at Harvard, MIT, Penn State, and countless other examples.

Not really, no.

Universities have always been historically very secular institutions. Mine certainly was back in the 90s. There's a long tradition of progressive, secular thinking, right back through the decades.

The difference now is that they are being heavily funded by ultra religious, rich, middle-eastern nations like Qatar. That's why this problem exists with anti-semitism, and pro-Hamas thinking, not because of secular sensibilities.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ons-funding-Arab-countries-past-30-years.html

https://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.or...can-universities-donors-recipients-and-impact

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
No, that's why I think it's more cultural influence. Which I guess includes economics and political.
I suppose you could make the claim that there is recorded knowledge from the various dynasties of Israel and Judea that can still be looked up and referenced when it comes to decisions of policy. Perhaps I am showing my ignorance here, but as far as I'm aware no serious political leader in Israel does this, relying more on western practices when it comes to economics, or attempting to engage with the politics of Arab countries when it comes to matters of military.
I could be mistaken, and would be happy to educate myself in that case.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Not really, no.

Universities have always been historically very secular institutions. Mine certainly was back in the 90s. There's a long tradition of progressive, secular thinking, right back through the decades.

The difference now is that they are being heavily funded by ultra religious, rich, middle-eastern nations like Qatar. That's why this problem exists with anti-semitism, and pro-Hamas thinking, not because of secular sensibilities.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ons-funding-Arab-countries-past-30-years.html

https://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.or...can-universities-donors-recipients-and-impact
I think there is a valid point to be made regarding certain weaknesses that exist in western secular society today, which, as you correctly point out, are being exploited by ultra religious countries for their own purposes. For example, I recall a study done in the west about the influence of the internet on the rise of fascist thinking in developed countries. Or, as in your example, the fact that western capitalism has created a situation where sometimes all money is seen as equivalent, even when there are ideological strings attached, meaning it clearly isn't equivalent. But this may be getting too tangential to the topic of this thread.

I think there is a valid point to be made regarding certain weaknesses that exist in western secular society today, which, as you correctly point out, are being exploited by ultra religious countries for their own purposes. For example, I recall a study done in the west about the influence of the internet on the rise of fascist thinking in developed countries. Or, as in your example, the fact that western capitalism has created a situation where sometimes all money is seen as equivalent, even when there are ideological strings attached, meaning it clearly isn't equivalent. But this may be getting too tangential to the topic of this thread.
The main weakness of the west is the constant doubt of everything. If it is coming from the western area - you should doubt it. That's the main issue.
And it is easily exploited by the dogmatists, where you never doubt the preachers. Just like I always say - "If you don't enforce your values on somebody, be prepared to convert to the values of others".

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom